PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Money is the root of Cowher's decision

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 01:36 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07002/750593-87.stm

Tuesday, January 02, 2007
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Can you blame Bill Cowher?

Can you blame him if he wants more money?

Isn't that the American way?

Money has to be the primary reason Cowher is on the verge of leaving the Steelers after 15 seasons. It's a bit hard to believe family concerns are the main issue. Cowher's wife and youngest daughter didn't have to move to the family's $2.5 million dream home in North Carolina last summer. He could have spent a lot more time with them this season if they had stayed in Fox Chapel.

But so what if it's about the money?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that in Cowher's case.

Cowher said a couple of telling things after the Steelers' 23-17 overtime win Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals that made it pretty clear his uncertain future here is the result of a money issue. He went out of his way to say he's not burned out after so many years in his high-profile, high-pressure job and that he didn't need to step away, even briefly, from the game. He also said he needed to talk to "some people" before making a final decision about quitting the Steelers. Sure, he'll hash it out with his wife and daughter. Of course, he will. But he'll also talk this week with Steelers owner Dan Rooney and his son, Art II. You bet he'll talk to them.

Without coming out and saying it Sunday, Cowher made it seem obvious that he'll give the Rooneys one final chance to meet his price.

Hey, there's no harm in asking, is there?

Certainly, Cowher has the leverage to do it even if he's under contract to the Steelers for next season. He knows if he sits out the year that he can come back in 2008 as a much-coveted free agent. Considering his track record, more than one NFL team will rush to pay him the kind of money he wants, somewhere in the $8 million-a-year range that Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren makes, which is significantly more than the $6 million-to-$6.5 million-a-year deal the Steelers are believed to have offered.

Tell the truth.

You'd go for it, too.

Some, of course, will argue that Cowher owes the Steelers better than that.

I beg to differ.

Yes, the Rooneys are the best owners in sports. Any coach would love working for them. It's no accident they've had just two head coaches in 38 years.

It's also true the Steelers gave Cowher his big break, hiring him in 1992 when he was a young, little-known defensive coordinator with the Kansas City Chiefs. They were patient with him when he failed to win a Super Bowl for so long, losing four AFC championship games at home and Super Bowl XXX after the 1995 season. More significant, they stuck with him after his teams went 7-9, 6-10 and 9-7 and failed to make the playoffs from 1998-2000. A lot of other NFL owners -- maybe all of them -- would have fired him.

I still hold out hope that's it's not about money, that Cowher is better than that, but the more I read about this and how it could be, you just never know..and we'll probably never know the whole thing no matter what his decision is.

augustashark
01-02-2007, 02:19 AM
I never really felt that $$ was an issue. I don't begrudge any person for trying to make more money, but in this case it would shock me.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 03:09 AM
I think initially it's been shocking all of us to think it's more about the money than anything else, but maybe that's becuase the vast majority of us will never know what it's like to make 5 million a year, and then feel like we deserve more based on our merits. I'll still be suprised if it ever comes out that money was the main issue.

SteelersWoman
01-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I've said it before--just how much money do you have to make? For most of us, the thought of making 4 million a year is beyond anything we can even remotely comprehend.

Most hard working men I know who go to work at least 50 weeks a year and work 10-16 hours a day and break their backs are lucky to earn ONE million in THIRTY years.

So sorry if I can't follow the "Well THIS coach is making EIGHT million, while I'm making a measly FOUR" train of thought...I know the job is rough, but so is my husband's, and he'd give anything to earn what Bill's making even at an an "underpaid" wage.

I love Bill as a coach, and truly can't imagine us right now with anyone else, but many of our great players have even taken a wage CUT just to get to stay a Steeler... so if Bill would prefer to go over money, I guess I'd just as soon see him go. The Steelers being a "blue collar" team (with today's huge NFL salaries) is "A-OK" with me.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I am getting a little fustrated with Cowher trying to milk the Rooneys to be one of the top highest paid coaches in the NFL. I understand he does deserve it with the resume he has. The question is going to be is this, Will the Rooneys abide by this money demand to keep Cowher in Pittsburgh much longer? We all know including the Steeler Nation, they will push the Rooneys to do it, to keep Cowher on that sideline and leading the team to promise land. Cowher is nuts to walk away now when this team is getting younger and it has a very bright and promising future that will duplicate Super Bowl Champions. I smell another Super Bowl Championship Team in the very near future here. We will become the NFL's first 6 time World Champions. How much more will it take to convince Bill to stay a few more years and get another ring. I know he can do it. This is breaking me and bugging the hell out of me trying to investigate the real reasons to why all of this is being brought up and all. I wish Cowher would at least say a hint to what the real deal is.

BBG7
01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
I still don't see this as a money issue. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think his life has become consumed with football and the stress it brings on and that would definately take away from family time.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Since Cowher is a true STEELER type person you will never hear him say it's about the money !!! He will probably take some time off and come back in a few years for more money, but IF he is true to the Black and Gold it will never come out of his mouth. I can hear the speculation now about how it was about the money all along but what do you expect, the only person that knows why ain't gonna say IF he is as classy as we all think he is.

AZ_Steeler
01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm torn... A part of me wants to think it has nothing to do about the money but then another part of me thinks it does! :dunno:

When you step and look at it though knowing what Cowher makes, I could really see where it could be all about the money. Having been with the team for so long and taking them to two Super Bowls, countless AFCC games and knowing that there are numerous coaches, who haven't proved themselves, making at least half as much as himself... then you're damn right it's all about the money! I would be calling for retirement too having been slapped in the face the last couple of years.

But... then there is the part that says Cowher is happy with what he has, coaching the Steelers and having the close relationship with all the players. I really want to think he's not in it for the money because he id happy with what he has... a roof over his head, a wife and kids... it's the American Dream what else could he need because it's not all about the money? :dunno:

Steelersfan
01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Some great points made by all of you. I look at it like this.

BC would make say 4 mill next year so if he sits out he won't get that. Then if he were to come back in 08 at 8 mill a year he would have to work 2-3 years at the higher wage just to make what he would have if he'd taken the 4 mill and then 6.5 the Steelers offered him.
I also think he has made more money with the Steelers than he would have with other teams simply because they didn't fire him like every other team would have when the team was down. Instead he ended up with a raise.
It would also be low of him to expect all that money after having numerous players take paycuts over the years to stay with the team and try and help him out.
I honestly don't know what his reasons are but if it is because of the money then I say see ya later BC!

TampaSteelGirl
01-02-2007, 01:12 PM
considering he's been working for beans and he won a SB within the last year I do feel he is worth the money....They need to show him some reall money!!! I mean after 15 years I think he's been more than patient and show's he's not doing it for the money but for the love of the game....They need to make his next few years worth staying...I wanna see him stay!!!!! Get that moldy money out and pay the man!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Im tired of thinking about this already, it drives me nuts. It's not like we're talking losing a player or something, this is our HC ! The identity and face of the organization. The guy who is ultimately responsible for fielding a winning team each week. I hate the fact of starting over, which is why I'd rather have Whiz or Grimm so we can be sure that the main focus of our team stays intact and we stand a better chance of being competitive then if a new guy comes in and wants to try and instill a new system, something that we aren't built for. I would hope and expect the Rooneys' will make sure that whoever is chosen maintains the Steeler attitude and vision.

TampaSteelGirl
01-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm just really sad that it's acutally come to this!! I really want him to stay!!:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
It was easier to not think about it so much during the season with all the games each week but now that the season is over, it's all we do to not go crazy waiting for a decision.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 09:20 PM
It is mind twisting games, Matt. It is nerve wrecking, I feel your pain, believe me. I am tired of this too.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Just image if we were somebody like the cards, clowns, or lions, where they get a new coach every 3 or 4 years. :eek: Im sure as hell glad we don't go through this too often.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't be a fan, that is for sure. I know they would never get stability going.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 10:58 PM
Those teams are just a joke, you have to feel sorry for the fans that put up with all the BS their organizations put them through.

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Can't feel sorry for the Browns Fans, they are idiots for following that organization. Too bad the Ravens hasn't canned Pudding Lover Billick. Son of a bitch will probably get an extension for the season he had.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I'll never feel any remorse for clowns fans, ratbird fans, or bungal fans..NEVER!

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Bungals fans deserve the heartbreak they get for running their mouths when they have no room to talk. Ratturd fans are just a bunch of criminal minded opportunist like their pansy *** players on the field. Browns fans, oh hell they are **** like the players. :hilarious:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Clowns=Ratbirds.. Ratbirds=Clowns... nuff said !