PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line troubles

Steelerfreak56
02-05-2011, 09:02 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ever since dermontti Dawson retired and we let go of faneca...have we really had an even sub-par offensive line?? I really question these dumb *** analyzers. It's like they're so pissed at the steelers that they have to find some bullshit to make us look bad

pimplydan
02-05-2011, 09:12 AM
These idiots say we have a poor offensive line . What they don't realize is the only reason that it seems to them that we have a subpar line . Is because Ben takes heat because he is trying to extent plays.

No line in the NFL can withstand the blitz for 3,4,5 seconds more than usual .

We have a great line considering all the injuries .

LarryNJ
02-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Our O line is average at best talent wise. (other than Pouncey) I think the coaching staff deserves a lot if credit for getting the most or of what they have.

Steelerfreak56
02-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I know I can't wait till starks, colon, and pouncey are healthy again. they're all pro-bowl caliber lineman and then I'd like to see us get back to running the ball a little more even though mendenhall had a hell of a year

Rampage
02-05-2011, 03:28 PM
I know I can't wait till starks, colon, and pouncey are healthy again. they're all pro-bowl caliber lineman and then I'd like to see us get back to running the ball a little more even though mendenhall had a hell of a year

For sure. Actually, if this team could luck out and get Mike in the draft, I would think very highly of the line.

Starks - Kemoeatu - Pouncey - Pouncey - Adams

Talk about being able to run to the right.

SteelerDave74
02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Our offensive line is fine. It's the media don't know anything from inside to out.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-06-2011, 07:01 AM
We have an above-average LT, overrated LG, stud center, poor RG, and above-average RT.

Starks is nothing spectacular, and neither is Colon, but both get the job done. Could absolutely be improved, but we could definitely be doing worse.

Pouncey is a stud, no questions asked. By the time he's 25, so in four years, Pouncey could very well be the best interior offensive lineman in the league.

Kemoeatu is a solid guard, he gets overrated based solely on the fact that he pulls well. He gets pushed back into the pocket far too often for a player of his weight and his strength. I'd say he's a borderline top 10 LG in the league, so again, not too bad.

Our RG is truly a position we need to address. Essex doesn't quite fit our o-line scheme, even with his versatility, and Foster, while big and strong, just isn't very good.

Overall, I think we need a new RG immediately while still searching for both tackles and a LG.

If I were Kevin Colbert, I'd say eff it, trade a first and third for New Orleans' Carl Nicks (believe me, he's worth it. 25 year old, 6'5, 340 lbs. guard who is a mauler in the run game and is good in pass-pro too. One of the five best guards in the league), sign Baltimore's Jared Gaither, and trade up in the second for Mike Pouncey.

Have Starks and Colon battle it out for RT, I think Colon wins due to experience and the fact that he beat out Starks multiple times before.

Gaither - Nicks - Ma. Pouncey - Mi. Pouncey - Colon

That line right there, IMO, would be one of the five best in the league. Nicks and Pouncey's would vastly improve pass-pro and we'd lose absolutely nothing in the running game, quite the contrary. Gaither is a better pass-protector than Starks is, which is what I want in a LT. Not quite the mauler Starks is, but he's no pushover either.

Anyway, that would never happen, but it would fix the line for the next five years, at least.

Nolrog
02-06-2011, 07:52 AM
These idiots say we have a poor offensive line . What they don't realize is the only reason that it seems to them that we have a subpar line . Is because Ben takes heat because he is trying to extent plays.

No line in the NFL can withstand the blitz for 3,4,5 seconds more than usual .

We have a great line considering all the injuries .

The line is not good at all. Injuries played a part, sure. But they definitely need more talent there.

Forget the blitz, late in the year, I was watching teams rush 3 guys against our 5 man line and put pressure on Ben. That's completely unacceptable.

One of the biggest areas for upgrade this year (could use another corner and a Defensive Lineman as well, because those guys are getting up there in age.)

nuclearchihuahuas
02-06-2011, 09:27 AM
We have an above-average LT, overrated LG, stud center, poor RG, and above-average RT.

Starks is nothing spectacular, and neither is Colon, but both get the job done. Could absolutely be improved, but we could definitely be doing worse.

Pouncey is a stud, no questions asked. By the time he's 25, so in four years, Pouncey could very well be the best interior offensive lineman in the league.

Kemoeatu is a solid guard, he gets overrated based solely on the fact that he pulls well. He gets pushed back into the pocket far too often for a player of his weight and his strength. I'd say he's a borderline top 10 LG in the league, so again, not too bad.

Our RG is truly a position we need to address. Essex doesn't quite fit our o-line scheme, even with his versatility, and Foster, while big and strong, just isn't very good.

Overall, I think we need a new RG immediately while still searching for both tackles and a LG.

If I were Kevin Colbert, I'd say eff it, trade a first and third for New Orleans' Carl Nicks (believe me, he's worth it. 25 year old, 6'5, 340 lbs. guard who is a mauler in the run game and is good in pass-pro too. One of the five best guards in the league), sign Baltimore's Jared Gaither, and trade up in the second for Mike Pouncey.

Have Starks and Colon battle it out for RT, I think Colon wins due to experience and the fact that he beat out Starks multiple times before.

Gaither - Nicks - Ma. Pouncey - Mi. Pouncey - Colon

That line right there, IMO, would be one of the five best in the league. Nicks and Pouncey's would vastly improve pass-pro and we'd lose absolutely nothing in the running game, quite the contrary. Gaither is a better pass-protector than Starks is, which is what I want in a LT. Not quite the mauler Starks is, but he's no pushover either.

Anyway, that would never happen, but it would fix the line for the next five years, at least.

I have never been overly impressed with Starks. Wow! Would I love to see the Steelers go after the line you designed. Ben wouldn't know how to play with so much protection. :yellowthumb:

Farrior Fan
02-06-2011, 10:43 AM
yeha that line would be great but you know we would never do it. And that would just be one more year that we have to suffer with no #2 cornerback worth a damn. I really hope we draft a CB in round 1 or 2 and that they can start right away.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
This OL if 100% healthy is much better then the 2008 OL.......Max Starks isn't a great OT but is a much better LT then RT and Steelers have won Super Bowls with Starks starting on either side......So you can win Starks at both OT spots......Kemoeatu has the size to dominate but at times his technique is poor at times is just inconsistent.......But I think Sean Kugler has made strides with Kemo this year..........I think this season has been Kemoeatu's best........

Maurkice Pouncey is a stud.....enough said Legursky is ok as a spot starter for a game or two and I think he will do fine today.....

Ramon Foster has done a good job this year and really has been the best of the rotation at RG this year.......Sure an upgrade could always help but I think this team can win with Foster at RG.........

Flo Adams is on borrowed time and he has been outstanding this year at RT.......Really an upgrade over Colon.....

This team has plenty of centers and OG's on this roster.......With Starks/Colon coming off injury next year and Flo's age then I think OT is the biggest need along the OL......If the team wanted an upgrade at RG then Mike Pouncey would be a great pick if there........But drafting an OT like Derek Sherrod and then drafting an OG like Marcus Cannon might make more sense.....But the Steelers have to add another top pick the OL........