PDA

View Full Version : Players now believe Cowher is quitting

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 01:34 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07002/750598-66.stm

Tuesday, January 02, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Some Steelers players came from yesterday's meeting with coach Bill Cowher believing even more firmly that he will quit as their coach.

Cowher met with his players and assistant coaches as a group yesterday morning and then spent the rest of the day meeting with each of them individually. The feeling in the organization -- from management to the players -- is that Cowher will step down after 15 seasons and with one year left on his contract.

At least one prominent Steelers veteran said publicly he believes Cowher will soon quit, based on what he told his team the past two days.

"I think he's definitely leaning toward calling it a day, but you never know," All-Pro guard Alan Faneca said after meeting with Cowher yesterday. "He said he's going to step away and let the emotions set and get back with his family and make a decision."

Cowher talked to the whole team at 10 a.m. yesterday, then began meeting individually with players, starting with the team's oldest veterans. It's a daylong process he has followed during his 15 years as Steelers coach.

Players said while he did not reveal his plans, it was emotional and carried the feeling that it could be the final meeting with their coach. Others too in the organization say they believe he will soon step down.

"I didn't cry," said linebacker Joey Porter, like Faneca a team co-captain. "That was a good thing. I almost did, but I didn't.

"It was emotional because that is my guy there. Whatever decision he makes, he has been in it for so long. What people don't understand is when you are a head coach you deal with all of the stress. You come to a point where do you let football be your whole life. If he does retire, I can understand it."

Talks to extend his contract broke off in August. Cowher plans to leave today to join his wife and youngest daughter in his new home in Raleigh, N.C.

"He's going to give some thought about it," said Porter. "But I think if he comes to a point where he's at ease with himself and he feels good about it, a week from today or something like that, it'll be clear-cut on his decision he has for us."

Porter and Faneca both hugged Cowher in their meetings. Faneca said he felt it would be the last time they see him as their coach.

"The team meeting was handled in a manner, I think, anybody who's not sure of [him] coming back, this could be the last one," Faneca said. "It definitely had that feeling and tone to it ...

"Yesterday was handled as if it could have been his last game. Today was handled as if it could have been his last meeting. It adds to it, but I think it's the same feeling I've had."

BBG7
01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Well Cowher. If it was your last game, you will be greatly missed as our head coach. I wish you and your family nothing but the best

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I was really waiting to see what some of the players would say after their meeting on sunday, and the end of season meetings yesterday.

Wow if BC would decide to come back, wouldnt that shock everybody !

BBG7
01-02-2007, 11:40 AM
That would be a huge shocker to us, the players, and the media!!!

House of Steel
01-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I am clinging to that. He better make a decision fast, he owes it to the Rooneys not to make this linger a long time and miss out on hiring some good coaching candidates to other franchises.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-02-2007, 11:46 AM
With the way everyone is speculating about it now... I don't know IF he could come back now,and I hate to say that. The media is probably the main reason there is this much speculation going on. If he decides to stay, we will be hearing about how his heart is not in it from the onset of the off season instead of half way through the season.. I really don't want to listen to that shiat from this point on, it was bad enough hearing it all season !!!!

AZ_Steeler
01-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I never looked forward to the day when Noll would be leaving the Steelers and I'm not looking forward to the day when Cowher leaves the Steelers... I'm still hoping he returns but if his mind isn't in the game then it is time...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I can't understand why he wouldnt come back to finish out his contract and then everything is on the table and everybody knows he's retiring after the 2007 season and there's no speculation or circus going on like there is now. That would make obvious sense to me, but hey what do I know :dunno:

TampaSteelGirl
01-02-2007, 04:36 PM
I would really love him to stay but in the same aspect I can definately understand where he is coming from..I'll be so sad but he's young enough to enjoy his retirement and it's good he's reflecting about his decision. I really think he will miss it too much to leave right now..I think Peavy needs to work on him some more but I know he respects his decision to leave if he does...I just wish him Luck and Love in his future...

Hey do any of the Steelers get on this board?

LatrobePA
01-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Agreed, I won't mind him leaving but the thought of him coaching another team turns my STOMACH!! I hope if he retires he does just that, but I got a feeling we'll see him elsewhere in 08' :-(

AZ_Steeler
01-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey do any of the Steelers get on this board?

As far I know none of them do, so if you know any of them personally send them over here :D