PDA

View Full Version : The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (Steelers)

ejsteeler
02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Good article.

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (Steelers)

Think about the Pittsburgh Steelers for a moment. Close your eyes if you like. What do you see? It’s a pretty clear image, isn’t it? You see those black and gold uniforms. You see howling defense. You see a running back powering through the middle, maybe led by a bruising fullback. You see a big and sturdy quarterback who doesn’t so much throw the ball as muscle it down the field. You see those golden Terrible Towels spinning throughout the stadium. You see those black helmets, with the single golden stripe, and the Steelers logo — a white circle, the word “Steelers” and the three asteroid shapes taken from the logo of U.S. Steel — on one side of the helmet, always one side.

Now think about something else: Think if you can name a single other team in American sports that has stood for exactly the same thing for the last 40 years.

rest of story (http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/02/03/the-mysteries-of-pittsburgh-steelers/)

hit 'n run
02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Good article.

rest of story (http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/02/03/the-mysteries-of-pittsburgh-steelers/)
Not only the "Mysteries of Pittsburgh" (which is a derivative of a book entitled "The Mysteries of Paris", and a later book of the article's title), that the writer lauds the enduring character of the Steelers...

But as a New York City transplant, i.e., a native of western PA living in NYC, I want to point out something else. If a person could have been frozen in time in 1974 and awakened in 2011, he/ she could not help but notice:
The enduring, endearing, and wonderful creativity of the Pittsburgh Steeler fans.

Living in NYC, Steeler fans' creative ways of supporting their team are ever more apparent to me. New York teams have devoted fans, of course. But they don't even come close to the creative expression of Steeler Nation.

The late, beloved Myron Cope's Terrible Towel, Franco's Italian Army, the unique fight song, and many other examples that merit attention but cannot all be covered in this brief post -

I'm just declaring here, my affectionate admiration for the 'Burgh and its utterly unique universe of Steeler fans. Their innovative ways of exhibiting their passion and loyalty are an equally prominent fixture in Steeler history.