PDA

View Full Version : Packer Player Tries To Steal Steeler Fan

Cricker24
02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Packer Player Tries To Steal Steeler Fan
by Chris Pittman

The year is 1981. Movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Cannonball Run were big hits on the silver screen and Christopher Cross' song "Sailing" was all over the airwaves. In January of that year, the Oakland Raiders defeated the Philadelphia Eagles 27-10 in Super Bowl XV to become the first Wild Card team to capture the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Also that year, my family and I were living in Appleton, Wisconsin, which is lit erally in the heart of Green Bay Packers Country. Despite the fact that I was only 5-years-old, I was as big of a Pittsburgh Steelers fan that you'd ever find. In fact, my parents say I was rooting for the Steelers as early as 3-years-old. There is no denying my family being huge Steeler fans, but I somehow have taken this addiction to another level.

One day back in '81, while I was in preschool, it was announced that Green Bay Packer wide receiver, Fred Nixon, was going to come to our school. As you can imagine, all of the kids were excited about the possibility of meeting a real Green Bay Packer...all of the kids except me. The day Fred Nixon came to the school, he took time to visit each and every class and talk with some of the students. Because of my physical disability, I was in a class with other physically and mentally challenged kids. When Fred Nixon came to my class, I was one of the few students in the room t hat could talk and so he and I quickly struck up a conversation about football. Now, given that this conversation took place about 30 years ago, the details are a little fuzzy, but there is one thing about that moment that is still crystal clear in my mind. Nixon asked me who my favorite team was and without hesitation I replied, "the Pittsburgh Steelers." While I'm sure he was surprised by my answer, Nixon smiled and thanked me for my honesty. He attempted to get me to say I liked the Packers, even just a little bit, but I was steadfast in my loyalty to the Steelers.

Later that day, the entire school gathered in the auditorium to hear Fred Nixon speak. After a few words of encouragement and advice, Nixon announced that he had an official game ball from an actual Green Bay Packers game that he was going to give to one lucky student. The auditorium rapidly filled with anticipation of who would be the kid to receive this cherished gif t. Mr. Nixon said there was one student that he had talked to that day that deserved the game ball because this young man was such a great fan of his favorite team and that kid's name was Chris. You can take a guess as to how shocked I was when he said my name!! I was brought up on stage with Nixon and after he handed me the football, he asked if I had anything I'd like to say. In front of the entire school, I spoke into the microphone and proudly said, "Thank you very much for the football, but I'm still a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers!!" Nixon, along with everyone else in the auditorium, erupted into laughter.

Almost 3 decades later, I still have the football Fred Nixon gave me that day and while I will always bleed Black and Gold, on Sunday, a small piece of my heart will be cheering for the Green Bay Packers. It's the least I could do, right? GO STEELERS!!!!!!! :)

Chris Pittman :tt02:
SteelerAddicts.com

Farrior Fan
02-05-2011, 06:14 PM
"a small piece of my heart will be cheering for the Green Bay Packers"\

BAN HIM!

Cricker24
02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Gee, thanks!! Please tell me you're being sarcastic. Did you not read the whole story?

Farrior Fan
02-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I was just kidding. I know how you feel, my grandpa used to live in San Diego and always bring me Chargers stuff. I still like them a little bit. But in 94 I think it hurt more because we lost to them.

lloydfan4life
02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Very cool memory, Chris. Thanks for sharing that with us! :yellowthumb:

SteelerBee43
02-06-2011, 03:43 PM
:yellowthumb: