PDA

View Full Version : A few position battles to look at

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2006, 10:05 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06226/713405-66.stm

Free safety Anthony Smith -- Someone forgot to tell the rookie he's not involved in competition to win the starting job at free safety. Although duly noted to be one of the good young players in training camp by none other than Bill Cowher, Smith made his own statement Saturday by intercepting two passes. Keep it up and Ryan Clark and Tyrone Carter might find a third party for the job.

Punter Mike Barr -- He had a good day punting. His three punts averaged 49 yards and two of them were placed nicely near the sideline. Veteran Chris Gardocki sent his lone punt 59 yards, but it was returned 28 yards. There's a sentiment this might be Barr's time in his third training camp, especially with Gardocki, 36, set to make more than $1 million. "We'll continue to look at that," Cowher said of Barr's punting, "but Chris is still a very solid, reliable punter."

Inside linebacker Richard Seigler -- Seigler did not emerge from nowhere to record the Steelers' only sack Saturday and tie for the team lead with four solo tackles. He does have a Super Bowl ring, earned after the Steelers signed him to the practice squad Nov. 9. He was San Francisco's fourth-round draft pick in 2004 from Oregon State, where he was a two-time team captain. At 6 feet 2, 238 pounds, Seigler is a threat to take a roster spot from Rian Wallace, a fifth-round pick in 2005.

Defensive end Brett Keisel -- Keisel is not competing for Kimo von Oelhoffen's old job on the right side. It's his, and he did not wait long to show why. On Arizona's first play from scrimmage, quarterback Kurt Warner handed off to the Cardinals' new bauble, halfback Edgerrin James. Keisel burst through the right side and was there to spill James for a 2-yard loss. On Arizona's second play, Warner scrambled to his left and seemed to have open space before Keisel broke free and tackled him after a 5-yard gain.

Wide receiver Quincy Morgan -- Morgan made a few big catches last season and good kickoff returns, but he has to make that reception near the sideline on second-and-5, a pass from Ben Roethlisberger that went through his hands.

Wide receivers Willie Reid and Nate Washington -- Reid, a rookie, earned the first chance to return punts over fellow rookie Santonio Holmes. It's unlikely that is an indication that Reid will win the job because Holmes likely will get his chance Saturday against the Vikings. Washington did not catch a pass, yet he did run the end-around like a budding Antwaan Randle El, picking up 10 yards on the first series.

Defensive end Rodney Bailey -- Bailey, and not second-year player Shaun Nua, lined up at right defensive end with the second team. That may mean little, but Nua was considered the hot prospect and early leader to win Keisel's old job as the backup right end entering training camp.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Honestly unless we were in salary cap hell, there is no way we get rid of Gardocki! The guy is the best punter in the league and has never had one blocked. He can directional kick as good as anyone and in this day and age with special teams being so important; the ability to place the ball inside the 5-10 yd line in a coffin corner punt is imperative.

Nothing against Barr, he's doing well so far and has done in the past in camps.

PITT23
08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I agree, we should keep Gardocki. Its not like he's making 10 million a year and this other guys only makes a few thousand. Sure theyd save a little money but not THAT much.

Steelersfan
08-14-2006, 11:40 AM
I didn't see the game Saturday but did Morgan drop another easy pass? The guy gets open but he drops everything his way. It's too bad.

I am liking Smith a lot.

What do you guys think of Bailey? I haven't been impressed with him much.

Steelx
08-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Morgan was notorius for dropping passes in cleveland he was called butterfingers. Nothing is going to change there even though I think he could be a stellar wideout.

Bailey has never impressed me but I have met him before so I am and will always be pulling for him.

PITT23
08-14-2006, 12:47 PM
I didn't see the game Saturday but did Morgan drop another easy pass? The guy gets open but he drops everything his way. It's too bad.

I am liking Smith a lot.

What do you guys think of Bailey? I haven't been impressed with him much.
Yeah he dropped an easy 5 yarder and it was Ben's only incomplete pass so tecjnically he was perfect. The throw was right on the money.

Steelersfan
08-14-2006, 12:57 PM
I think it may be time to let Morgan go. He does great on returns but we already have some good young guys to do that. If he can't help as a WR why keep him? We got some great young talent ready to go!

PITT23
08-14-2006, 01:06 PM
On one of the local shows they said how he trys his *** off and the coaches all like him.

Steelersfan
08-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Make him a coach then.....lol I'm not knocking him for his effort. Just his catching ability.

SteelerDan43
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I would look for McFadden to take Towsend's job sometime over the course of the season

PITT23
08-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah, McFadden is one guy that I feel has a great future for us and I think he'll start later this season and next season for sure.

Koopa
08-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Honestly unless we were in salary cap hell, there is no way we get rid of Gardocki! The guy is the best punter in the league and has never had one blocked. He can directional kick as good as anyone and in this day and age with special teams being so important; the ability to place the ball inside the 5-10 yd line in a coffin corner punt is imperative.

Nothing against Barr, he's doing well so far and has done in the past in camps.

actually he just never been blocked, there is a lot more punters i'd take over him. i rather have a punter with a boot, not sure if barr has a boot, but gardocki is just avg at best when it comes to having a boot. and if barr can do what he can do and cost less why the hell not and save some money

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Gardocki may not boot a punt 60 yds at a shot anymore but he's a big reason why our special teams have been good in the last several years. He and Josh Miller both are as sound as it gets when it comes to directional punting which is one of the main reasons they've both lasted as long as they have in the league. Sooner or later though Im sure he'll be a cap casualty; just par for the course with expensive veterans.

PITT23
08-14-2006, 07:23 PM
I think this is Gardocki's last season because Barr has shown he can kick just as far as Chris and during this season he'll continue to work on that as well as build his accuracy.

Koopa
08-14-2006, 10:00 PM
we should've drafted that dude out of wake forest with our first round pick lol.......i can't wait to see a preseason game, i wanna see this anthony smith dude play. the stats make him look good so far. and i wanna see holmes cause a lot of fans (not on this forum) were calling him the second coming of plax so i wanna see him play. and i wanna see reid return a damn punt lol.