PDA

View Full Version : Sweed Speaks

coldrolled
02-02-2011, 01:58 PM
• Wide receiver Limas Sweed was a star receiver just a few years ago at nearby University of Texas, making him sort of a media darling at Cowboys Stadium. Sweed, who is recovering for an Achilles injury, may not figure into the Steelers plans after the season, given the emergence of rookies Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Sweed thinks he is in the Steelers' long-term plans. "I believe so," he said.

stratocaster68
02-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Hopefully he comes back and makes an impact. I'd love to see him make the team. Randle-El seems expendable.

SteelerDave74
02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
If Sweed would work harder and stop dropping key catches, then, maybe we will keep him on board. He is nothing but a bust so far.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
If he learns how to catch...he can make an impact

K Train
02-02-2011, 02:21 PM
If Sweed would work harder and stop dropping key catches, then, maybe we will keep him on board. He is nothing but a bust so far.

sweeds problem is not a lack of effort or hard work...hes a very dedicated player and has done everything right. calling sweed lazy is just wrong, i do think he was gonna have a decent year and contribute before the injury since year 3 is usually the money year for WRs like him. he dropped a few passes but hes been itching to get back out there.

SteelerDave74
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
I know what your saying, K Train. I never said he was lazy. I know he's been hurt numerous times. I sure hope he shows up and be about what he was at Texas. I know he can be an elite receiver.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I would say he will be there in the offseason and in camp and given the chance to make the team. Especially with guys like Arnaz Battle and Randle El that may leave or get released after this year. Sweed will get his chance to make an impact regardless of how well Brown and Sanders do. If he does well he could make the team next year and see some playing time. Especially if Hines would retire.

LatrobePA
02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Sweed hasn't had a clear chance to shine...He'll stay and ARE will be gone! You guys can't kick him to the curb for just a couple drops, it's pretty stupid really!

K Train
02-02-2011, 02:50 PM
hes shown hes a hard worker, a good team mate, and he can get open and can be physical as hell out there. hes a rhythm player, getting on the field cold and being asked to go deep doesnt work for him. he needs to get warmed up, get his hands dirty and feel what the defense is doing. burress was the exact same way the difference was we needed burress out there so he got those reps.

im obviously a sweed fan, i hope he does well even if its not with us

NOVA STEELERS
02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I agree seeing him in camp the last couple of years has shown great speed and routes, he gets over the injury bug and he can seriously round out our receiving corps big time

NHStlrfan
02-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Barring the injury I agree with K Train. This kid should have a chancce to make the team. Hieght and speed can't be taught. Catching and technique can. If he can't get the catching under control it's not out of the question to see him in the defensive backfield either. That transition has precedent in the NFL a number or times. The most visible was Brown in NE.

LatrobePA
02-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Sweed, Sanders, Wallace, Brown, Ward - pretty sick really!

NHStlrfan
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Sweed, Sanders, Wallace, Brown, Ward - pretty sick really!

We're all not considering here either the chances of a Ward retirement. I for one don't want to see it but with a win it might happen. That would make Sweed even more important being in the fold as it were.

LatrobePA
02-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Tomlin wants him back, Ward wants to be back, I say he'll be here...

bensshoes
02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Sweed was and is a great prospect the Steelers have invested a great deal of time in him and i believe he'll get another camp at least to prove he can do it here!

NHStlrfan
02-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Tomlin wants him back, Ward wants to be back, I say he'll be here...

I agree but when a spouse, parent or other close person speaks, well it can be influential. I still say Ward returns for at least 2 years. He wants to get 4 and seal a trip to Canton!

SteelCityKid5
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Where would Sweed fit in though?

K Train
02-02-2011, 04:08 PM
out wide? we have ward (old slot WR..pretty much a mini TE), wallace #2 WR stud, and sanders and brown who both profile as more slot guys.

SteelDad
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Ward will be back. He's too darn close to some pretty amazing numbers (ie. 1,000 receptions) not to come back for at least one more year. Tomlin gives Hines every chance to be healthy too which isn't always the case with the majority of coaches.

One thing I do like about Sweed is effort. Seemed like every time he would drop a pass he would come back and lay a solid block on ST later in the game. Kid definitely deserves a chance.

HUNT4SEVEN
02-02-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping he can stay healthly, if he learns the offense he will be a dangerous option for us with his height and speed, he said himself he had to think to much his rookie year, I believe that he would of had a great year this year also had he stayed healthly, I can't wait to see what he can do if he learns the offense...

Clevelandsux
02-02-2011, 04:52 PM
All i can say is bust!. This guy dropped two sure touchdowns in the playoffs two years ago. He's just not the real deal.

igor0190
02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Sweed was a 2nd rounder with potential 1st round talent... He's had some bad lukc with injuries, but hopefully he has hit the weights and done everything he can to help himself try and stay healthy. I say he definately makes the team if he's healthy... So much upside on this guy. (ARE, Battle not soe much). +A. Brown will be ready to field 100% of the punts next year anyways.

DanRooney
02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Sweed's problems lie in his head, not his physical ability. He'll never be decent on a team like ours.

SteelCityKid5
02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
So youre saying Sweed and Wallace out side with Sanders Brown and Ward mixing it up in the slot? That works for me! I like Sweed and still think he has big play capability out there. I just wanted to where he would work best.

Rampage
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I am very optimistic about Sweed's future with the black and gold. I have a feeling that he will replace ARE or Battle and turn some heads in a positive fashion. Yeah, he had dropped passes, but does anyone remember this?

h1fbkEOQwoc

Goodfrom55
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
• Wide receiver Limas Sweed was a star receiver just a few years ago at nearby University of Texas, making him sort of a media darling at Cowboys Stadium. Sweed, who is recovering for an Achilles injury, may not figure into the Steelers plans after the season, given the emergence of rookies Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Sweed thinks he is in the Steelers' long-term plans. "I believe so," he said.

Wallace - long term
Sanders - long term
Brown - long term
Randle El - likely gone after SB XLV
Ward - maybe 1 or 2 more years

Keeping Sweed around to see if he can contribute makes sense. What do they really have to lose by doing so? I hope he sticks around; think this kid has a big upside, and he appears to be coachable.

coach
02-02-2011, 06:52 PM
He will shine next year...

Or, his replacement will.

I would like to see him succeed.

jpele
02-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I like Sweed,if it doesn't work out at WR see if he can tackle and make him a CB.

manny88
02-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Sweed's confidence, or lack of, is the main reason he will be unable to see the field wearing black and gold.

Like someone stated earlier, it's mental with Lameass Sweed, not physical.

Scorp
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
sweeds problem is not a lack of effort or hard work...hes a very dedicated player and has done everything right. calling sweed lazy is just wrong, i do think he was gonna have a decent year and contribute before the injury since year 3 is usually the money year for WRs like him. he dropped a few passes but hes been itching to get back out there.

Compassion. Pass it on. :yellowthumb: Nice one K Train. :clap:

Goodfrom55
02-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Think of it this way, yes he has dropped a few clutch passes, but silver lining is as a rookie and an 2nd year player, he was getting very wide open without a major grasp or comfort level of the offense.

emansanders88
02-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Isn't Sweed a free agent after the season? I really hope they resign him i feel that he will shine elsewhere for some reason haha.

Real Deal Steel
02-02-2011, 10:05 PM
I heard that Sweed is now catching any and everything the jug machine can throw at him. And that wasn't the case before. I think Sweed has now seen what it takes to be a Steeler and he's ready to fufill his potential. We need a big, red zone WR and a guy who will take that double team off of Wallace. No disprect to Brown or Sanders because I love them too.

Man we have a lot of WR.

ucsteve667
02-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Id say give him another chance on that one block he did against I think it was the Ravens...practically killed the guy

Phenomenal TJ
02-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Ward's coming back for next year at least. I doubt his family is going to tell him to call it quits.

Sweed deserves one more chance, so...he'll be around for at least training camp.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2011, 02:39 AM
I think Sanders can play out-side since his route running is so silky smooth at times......He needs to add some strength no doubt especially against the physical corners across the NFL......

As for Limas Sweed and I agree with him that he is in the Steelers long term plans....No reason to cut him especially since he is still on his rookie contract.....If he stays healthy and blows up during the camp/pre-season then great......If Sweed continues dropping balls then it will be an easy cut......It wouldn't make sense to give up on him at all.....I still think Sweed can be an NFL WR and maybe even a star.......

steelchamp204
02-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Lets give the guy a FULL season first. Then we can make our assesment

Blazedby92
02-03-2011, 10:08 AM
You can't teach Catching as someone said before especially when it's in your head, he is no doubt a good route runner and a descent blocker (one block doesn't make him a great blocker) which is really just a bonus you might get in a good receiver.
The whole thing is that as a RECEIVER the biggest priority is to CATCH the ball otherwise the position wouldn't be called receiver. Re·ceiv·er Football . a player on the offensive team who catches, is eligible to catch, or is noted for the ability to catch a forward pass

We will see next year as we all have been saying for the last 3, I hope he comes through but I doubt it, the 3 year thing is overrated nowadays, especially if you play for the Steelers.
BUST big time

cmerrifield
02-03-2011, 10:54 AM
I think Sweed can come around, its all in his head and that is the beauty of having a whole season to work without pressure, you can get that crap out of your head. If he turns it around, I am hoping he does, we could have an amazing WR core. This next season is the last on his contract, so I hope he turns it around.

86WARD
02-05-2011, 05:55 PM
I'd like to see Sweed come back and bounce Randle El from the team...after El throws his 2nd Super Bowl TD pass tomorrow...

:)

Scorp
02-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Can't wait for his return.

Rampage
02-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd like to see Sweed come back and bounce Randle El from the team...after El throws his 2nd Super Bowl TD pass tomorrow...

:)

I hope Randle El gets his wish: Throws for a touchdown, receives a touchdown, and runs a touchdown in on a punt return in the Super Bowl.

coach
02-05-2011, 06:27 PM
ARE may throw one;
he may catch one;
but he can't run a fair catch into the end zone, so don't put any money down on that one.

86WARD
02-05-2011, 10:33 PM
I hope Randle El gets his wish: Throws for a touchdown, receives a touchdown, and runs a touchdown in on a punt return in the Super Bowl.

No ****....lol...

pimplydan
02-06-2011, 03:28 AM
I think we are loaded as of receiver crop. Wallace , Saunders , Brown , Ward , now if Sweed could be what we expected of him (the Burress type tall all purpose receiver)we have a royal flush .
Let's go to Vegas...............

nuclearchihuahuas
02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
We're all not considering here either the chances of a Ward retirement. I for one don't want to see it but with a win it might happen. That would make Sweed even more important being in the fold as it were.

On the off chance Ward does retire, I hope they keep him around as a WR coach!