PDA

View Full Version : What's the gameplan for the Super Bowl

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
If you are the Steelers on defense, you have to expect that the Packers are going to air it out early and often. They are going to try and spread out the defense and see how much success they can have. In theory they will be able to get rid of the ball quicker and keep the pressure of Rodgers. The Steelers though on defense will absolutely be expecting this so you know that Lebeau will have something in mind to counter it. Remember, other teams have spread us out and they have had some success but we were still in the game with the chance to make plays. In those cases the offense didn't make enough plays when they had chances. Too often early in the year against those good teams we settled for FG's instead of TD's..or we missed FG's that were the difference in the game. The offense has gotten better all year long and we've been much better in the redzone. Anyways though for the defense, it's about holding your coverage and getting the pressure on Rodgers to disrupt their timing.

It usually takes Lebeau and the defense a few series to settle down in a game and see what the offense is doing. Especially against an unfamiliar opponent. Regardless of what the media says, this stage is too big and the Steelers are too good to get blown up by Rodgers. The media said the same thingsin Super Bowl XLIII too.

Just because you attack through the air doesn't mean you're going to have success all the time. The pass defense has improved significantly over the year in 2010. As long as the DB's can hold their coverage and make some plays, that will make the Packers think twice about going down field so often.

On offense for the Steelers I think you go after the Packers early, test that defense and see what kind of success you can have. We will most definitely run the ball, you can guarantee that. The packers are vulnerable against the run and that's just the ticket that you want when you want to impose your will on a defense. I look for the Steelers to get Mendy going in the 1st quarter early and keep it going so the play action is a viable option all game long. However like I said the Steelers will go deep and try to work the middle of the field especially with Heath and Ward and Sanders. One thing they need to do is open up that slant play, it's money every time.

roosterray
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the key for us is getting hits on Aaron early, and if we can get a pick or two in the first half, that GB won't be going deep downfield. I have a hard time believing that Aaron is confortable with the 5-8 yd check down. Ben has problems with this too, but our short passing game with be Mendenhall All day long.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Right, the key for the defense is to always get to the QB early and often. Rodgers is good on the run and he is good at sliding in the pocket to buy himself an extra second to throw the ball. The defense will have to keep contain to get after Rodgers and knock him down. This will be a game where the secondary needs to step up as well, holding their coverage longer than they might be used too depending on how well the pass rush is getting there.

The ways you counter a QB like Rodgers is to confuse him, send multiple players from different positions. Generally turn up the heat before he can allow his WR's to get down field. He is a quality QB, one of the best in the game obviously and he knows how to beat a defense but still though he can be beat, he's not super man. The Steeler defense will find ways to get to him.

jackhammer1
02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I'd like to see the special teams step it up in this game. In a close game this could make a huge difference. A runback would be nice but I'd settle for good field position when they kick or punt to us. And we can't afford to let them bring anything back on us either.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2011, 03:36 PM
On offense the Steelers need to establish the run early and then work in some play-action passes.............If not deep to Wallace then over the middle to Miller which should be there all game......The Packers were burnt by play-action in last years game and Miller scorched them for 7-8 catches for 110+ yards.......I would work in the RB's in the passing game as well......

As for the Defense putting pressure on Rodgers is the key no doubt......But I don't think the Pack can spread this defense like the Pats did....Yes they have the QB and WR's but at the same time they don't have the OL.....Their OT's stink at pass protection and Rodgers isn't that type of QB....He is more like Ben than Brady......He likes to throw deep and take sacks at times as well.....

steelersbabex25
02-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Pressure Rodgers pressure Rodgers pressure Rodgers. I realize he's mobile, like Ben, but he's also young. Get a few sacks in there, get in his face, he'll start to panic. Guaranteed. I don't really fear Starks that much. For the rush, just let the front 7 do what they've been doing this entire year. Starks hasn't been challenged yet in the playoffs like he will be on Sunday.

LatrobePA
02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Take the 15 yard penalty and smash him early, he'll be rattled and not the same!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
On offense the Steelers need to establish the run early and then work in some play-action passes.............If not deep to Wallace then over the middle to Miller which should be there all game......The Packers were burnt by play-action in last years game and Miller scorched them for 7-8 catches for 110+ yards.......I would work in the RB's in the passing game as well......

As for the Defense putting pressure on Rodgers is the key no doubt......But I don't think the Pack can spread this defense like the Pats did....Yes they have the QB and WR's but at the same time they don't have the OL.....Their OT's stink at pass protection and Rodgers isn't that type of QB....He is more like Ben than Brady......He likes to throw deep and take sacks at times as well.....

Another thing about the Packers, when they played against top flight defenses like the Bears, they had their share of struggles. Rodgers can be rattled and get out of sync. Some are saying that game was a fluke, but you can bet the Steelers will be watching film of that game and every game that defenses had success against Rodgers. The Packers offensive line is good but not great, I fully expect both Harrison and Woodley to be able to pressure him. He is good on the run so when they get the chance to get him on the ground, they can't miss.

SteelCityKid5
02-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I think on Defense do what the Pats did to the Rams back in the day. Be more physical than them in every aspect of the game. Do not stop being physical. When you get to Rodgers, do what the Saints did to Favre. On Offense I say control the time of possession, run the ball, and put the game in Bens hands. Play a little sandlot offense.

cmerrifield
02-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I think blitz Rogers even if he completes a few passes early, it will still be to our advantage. He doesnt trust his o-line and its clear from watching him. Build on that distrust even if it costs us a touchdown.

Goodfrom55
02-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Before I get into my thoughts here, just want to say how it funny how everyone is making a huge deal about how the Steelers will havea hard time defending the Packers on a fast trac, perfect conditions, etc. Well, the Packers have to defend the Steelers on a sure footed fast track as well. I like (our) chances.

If the Packers want to spread out the Steelers, they will look to throw short passes because if they have 4 or 5 guys out in patters, who's going to protect Rodgers? It's clearly risk / reward. Steelers will need to put an emphasis on hitting Rodgers as much as they can, and the secondary will have to be aware of his quick release. They can't overlook the Packers running game because while it is not dominant, it is opportunistic, which means they pick their spots and do it well. Biggest thing, as always is not to allow the big play, contain Rodgers, eliminate the running game and get at least 2 turnovers.

Offensively, come to work, run the offense. Patience in the running game is essential. I said in another post that I would run right at Clay Matthews because I believe FLozell will give him a hard time handling his run blocking. More importantly, the passing game just needs to take what they give you. Chip away at Matthews and then release into a pattern (Heath), receivers come back to the ball, they must also find the soft spot in the zone and sit in it - don't run through it. Not a game of if's, but during the Jets game, when Ben was picked tryinig to hit Sanders on that long bomb, if Sanders comes back to the ball, it's completed pass. Instead, he waited for it, and it got picked...point is, come back to the ball. Packers Secondary is not fast, but they are good. I come out and run the ball, look to get Heath involved early, call some high % passes to calm everyone down and go out and get the Stairway to 7.

If the Steelers lose this game, it's because they beat themselves.

Rampage
02-02-2011, 07:05 PM
1 - The defense MUST not only pressure, but HIT Rodgers. He has proven that he can be as dangerous as Brady in the pocket and he is looking like the white Michael Vick when he scrambles away from pressure. The Falcons pressured Rodgers, but they couldn't bring him down and he picked them apart. On the other hand, Chicago repeatedly hit Rodgers and it seemed as if his passer rating became progressively worse with each hit. The match up of Woodley and Bulaga will be interesting.

2 - Mess with the QB/WR timing. Not only is it important to hit Rodgers, it is also important to hit is wideouts. The defensive backs, linebackers, and safeties must slow receivers down within the five yards. Notice that Brady can't do his little dink dunk spread offense when he gets pressured and his wide receivers are out of place?

3 - Do not squander field position. The Packers have a deadly punter in the postseason by the name of Masthay. If the Steelers lose the game of field position, it will be very difficult to overcome.

4 - Exploit the middle of the Packers defense. Before being anointed as God's gift to football, the Packers showed that the middle of their defense is the chink in their armor. Miller should have opportunities to get open and Mendenhall/Moore/Redman must be used in the passing game. You know that play the Ravens use? I'm sure you do, it seems like they only have one. Its the play where Ray Rice chips on a block then runs out into the flat, catches a pass, and runs 8 yards. Yeah, use that.

5 - Don't be proud: Keep a running back to block if the tackles can't handle the pass rush from Matthews and crew. Hell, a running back can make big blocks and even run out to the flat for a check down (see #4). Keep it in mind, Ben and Bruce.

6 - Use speed. The Packers definitely have a solid secondary, but the Steelers do have an advantage if they utilize the speed of Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown in addition to Mike Wallace. Yes, I know that ESPN other talking heads in the media would have you think that the Packers are like the second coming of The Steel Curtain, only better, but they are not some sort of impregnable group. Speedy receivers can get free (Shields can keep up though) and break off routes when Ben extends the play.

7 - Pound the rock. Mendenhall can run and newsflash: The Packers aren't an incredible run stopping team! Raji has been playing well throughout the playoffs and a lot of this will come down to whether Pouncey or Legursky lines up at center, but I am confident in the ability of the Steelers to run on Green Bay.

8 - MAINTAIN POSSESSION. The Steelers cannot just hand the ball over to the Packers and expect to be successful. If they play like they did in the first half of the Ravens game or second half of the Jets game, they lose. Keep the ball and yours chances are that much better.

9 - Take time off the clock. This incorporates running the ball and maintaining possession. In what could very well be a low scoring game, the Steelers must limit the Packers time of possession as much as possible.

10 - Finally, FORCE TURNOVERS. Hit Rodgers, hit his receivers, have the Packers playing on their own side of the field, and take time off the clock. Rodgers will have to make some big plays to attempt to win it and make the mistakes. He holds the ball too long and Dirty Harry comes in with his Kung Fu grip Karate Chop, he forces the pass and the Flyin' Hawaiian snags it out of the air. Yes, it is a combination of things, but turnovers may be the battle that wins this war.

A Pac
02-02-2011, 07:15 PM
If I was the Steelers' coaches, my gameplan would be to win. ;)

Steel Trap86
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
It's all about Mendenhall. Get him started early, pound away at their 18th ranked run defense and make them respect it. That way it will open up some play action where Miller, Ward, Wallace, Sanders & Brown will carve them up and could really put the game out of reach. So if Mendenhall breaks free, we're good. I don't worry about the defense in these games, but if they play anything like they did in the first half of the Jets game, it's over for Green Bay.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I want the Steelers to start fast to and come out and try to get a double digit lead quick.......I don't care how poised a team might be but I would expect the Pack to have some kind of first quarter jitters since this is their first Super Bowl for all of their players except for Woodson and Pickett.......

I want the Steelers to get the ball first and put 6 on the board.......Then our D make the Pack O go three and out then the Steelers offense come out guns a blaz'in again......

K Train
02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
they need to attack the air....spreading it around. the packers know they give up yards on the ground, make them fear the air attack before we really start attacking the ground.

i wouldnt hate it if the first 10 plays were passes and play actions. then let mendnhall do his thing.

flozell is a big part in the game, matthews RAPED him in their last matchup when he was a cowboy. im sure flo doesnt forget that

A Pac
02-02-2011, 10:14 PM
If there is one way to beat the Packers it's on the ground. Everyone know that's. However, be careful with passing it too much. They do afterall have three pro bowlers in that secondary.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Another key is, don't allow any big plays on Special Teams. Especially not early on that puts us behind the 8ball like what happened in the Jets game in the regular season.

The Jets are going to be expecting the run, you know they are. They know they are vulnerable to it and after watching Mendenhall in the post season especially they have to know it's coming. I have to give Arians credit, he's come up with some real good game plans especially in the first half of games. The 2nd half on offense could have been good but I think a combination of Pouncey going down, the Jets adjustments and the offense maybe going to sleep alittle bit hurt those chances.

Steel Trap86
02-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Sure they know it's coming, just like we know the air attack is coming, it's no secret. The Steelers rarely use the element of surprise, more like "you hit me, I hit you" type of team IMO. The Jets knew it was coming and Mendenhall had over 100 yards before the half was even over. I would love to see a BOMB to Brown on the first series to make me happy, or a shot to Wallace on a slant and watch him turn the jets on. I know our receivers are going to have a big night, I expect Brown to have a 4 or 5 catch game, but I think Mendenhall will be the core of the offense. Maybe an MVP performance. ohhhhhh **** I said it lol

Goodfrom55
02-03-2011, 04:47 PM
That's one thing about the Steelers offense, it's hard to scheme against. They are very balanced, which makes them very dangerous.

Troyisabeast_43
02-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Before I get into my thoughts here, just want to say how it funny how everyone is making a huge deal about how the Steelers will havea hard time defending the Packers on a fast trac, perfect conditions, etc. Well, the Packers have to defend the Steelers on a sure footed fast track as well. I like (our) chances.

If the Packers want to spread out the Steelers, they will look to throw short passes because if they have 4 or 5 guys out in patters, who's going to protect Rodgers? It's clearly risk / reward. Steelers will need to put an emphasis on hitting Rodgers as much as they can, and the secondary will have to be aware of his quick release. They can't overlook the Packers running game because while it is not dominant, it is opportunistic, which means they pick their spots and do it well. Biggest thing, as always is not to allow the big play, contain Rodgers, eliminate the running game and get at least 2 turnovers.

Offensively, come to work, run the offense. Patience in the running game is essential. I said in another post that I would run right at Clay Matthews because I believe FLozell will give him a hard time handling his run blocking. More importantly, the passing game just needs to take what they give you. Chip away at Matthews and then release into a pattern (Heath), receivers come back to the ball, they must also find the soft spot in the zone and sit in it - don't run through it. Not a game of if's, but during the Jets game, when Ben was picked tryinig to hit Sanders on that long bomb, if Sanders comes back to the ball, it's completed pass. Instead, he waited for it, and it got picked...point is, come back to the ball. Packers Secondary is not fast, but they are good. I come out and run the ball, look to get Heath involved early, call some high % passes to calm everyone down and go out and get the Stairway to 7.

If the Steelers lose this game, it's because they beat themselves.

I do not believe that Aaron Rodgers and this Packers offense will be able to beat the Steelers and win this game by going no huddle for most of the game and throwing the ball 40-50 times. The Packers are going to need to stay balanced in this game at least at the start of it. The Packers fans are quick to sit here and say they threw all over the Steelers defense last season. Well keep in mind that Joe Burnett,Tyrone Carter,and William Gay 2 of those 3 wont even be playing in this game much less starting in this game. The Packers will not hit those big pass plays they did the game here in Pittsburgh on Sunday. The only chance the Packers have to win this game is if Rodgers does completely blow up like Brady did against us,and as you mentioned 92 or if the Steelers commit turnovers and beat themselves and give the Packers a short field and easy points. The Packers defense as well will not be able to stack 8 in the box all of the time for Mendenhall. Because if they do then at some point that is going to leave Mike Wallace one on one with somebody in the Packers secondary and if that happens it will only be a matter of not if but when the Steelers burn the Packers with a deep hit for a TD...

Goodfrom55
02-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Packers have a talented secondary, but they're neither fast nor capable of covering Wallace, Sanders, Ward, Miller in man cover-1 or cover-0.

Scorp
02-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Gameplan is to just beat the Packers.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I'm so tired of hearing how the Packers have the best WR corp in the NFL. I tell ya, I just got a weird feeling that one of our DB's is going to make a big play. Rodgers is going to try his shots downfield, that's a given, and our DB's know it. Will they get burnt a few times, possibly, but I like our chances against their WR corp I don't care what anyone says. Keeping Troy deep to help out especially on obvious passing situations (mixed in with the corner blitz) could be very effective.

Goodfrom55
02-04-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm so tired of hearing how the Packers have the best WR corp in the NFL. (mixed in with the corner blitz) could be very effective.

I know...Steelers have a good group of young guns who can absolutely fly.. .GB will have to defend them on a fast track, BUT NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THAT. And then there's Ward, who not a speedster, but has enough experience and savvy to find the open area in a phone booth.

Troyisabeast_43
02-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I know...Steelers have a good group of young guns who can absolutely fly.. .GB will have to defend them on a fast track, BUT NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THAT. And then there's Ward, who not a speedster, but has enough experience and savvy to find the open area in a phone booth.

I still look for Hines to make a bunch of big catches in this game especially on 3rd down and inside the red zone. Hines as we all know is absolute money when you need a big catch on 3rd down or at a crucial point of the game. I agree with you as well on the speed of the Steelers receivers Wallace,Sanders,and Brown being a problem for the Packers secondary to defend. This will be especially true if Mendenhall has early success running the ball and the Packers start stacking 8 men in the box. That is going to leave a guy like Wallace 1 on 1 with either Woodson or Williams and if that happens more times then not at some point Ben and Wallace will burn the Packers defense with a deep hit for a TD...

Clevelandsux
02-04-2011, 07:06 PM
No special teams breakdowns, PLEASE!!!! Don't give up any big returns, Those can be back breakers.

Goodfrom55
02-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Believe it or not, most analysts say the Steelers have an edge on special teams. I think Suisham and Kapinos are going to have great games - indoors, 72 degrees, no wind, no excuses.