PDA

View Full Version : Hoak Retires

K Train
01-01-2007, 05:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/9901890
PITTSBURGH (Jan. 1, 2006) -- Dick Hoak, a Pittsburgh Steelers player or coach all but one season since 1961, is retiring after an NFL-record 35 continuous seasons as a Steelers assistant coach.

The 67-year-old Hoak was the only assistant coach to work for Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher. Hoak was the offensive backfield coach for all but three of Noll's 23 seasons as head coach, then worked the last 15 seasons under Cowher as the running backs coach.

Hoak is the only Steelers on-field employee with five Super Bowl rings, though others in the organization -- including chairman Dan Rooney -- also have five. Hoak was offered the USFL Pittsburgh Maulers' head coaching job in 1983, but chose to stay with the Steelers.

Hoak, who grew up in suburban Pittsburgh, was a running back and quarterback for Penn State from 1958-60 and was the Nittany Lions' MVP in 1960. A seventh-round draft pick in 1961, Hoak led the Steelers in rushing three times from 1961-70 and made the Pro Bowl in 1968. He ranks fifth in team rushing with 3,965 yards.

Hoak will announce his retirement at a news conference Jan. 2.

Mabey Jerome will be our RB coach now

MRS Steelerfan
01-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Mabey Jerome will be our RB coach now

That would be great, I love Jerome!!!!

House of Steel
01-01-2007, 05:30 PM
HEY SOMEONE CALL THE BUS UP AND GET HIS *** ON THE FIRST PLANE TO THE BURGH!!!! I loved Hoak, he was a hell of a player and a great coach. God Bless You, Dick Hoak, you will be missed.\

You guys realize if we get Bettis as the running back coach, we can really have a dominant running game from hell. I think we can get ourselves a coaching dream team together.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Not having Dick Hoak as our RB's coach is going to be weird next year. Its the end of an era for the Steelers.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Hey that would be awesome to have the Bus as our RB's coach. But I think he is more then happy with his gig with NBC and probally wouldn't want to put in all the time a NFL coach does during a season.

Friday133
01-01-2007, 05:54 PM
i hope to GOD bettis isn't the RB coach for the steelers next year.

K Train
01-01-2007, 05:56 PM
why? look what he did for willie when willie took his job

House of Steel
01-01-2007, 05:57 PM
What the hell, Friday? Mind expanding your answer in more detail? :smh2:

Friday133
01-01-2007, 05:59 PM
this is my opinion, but i don't think bettis has what it takes to be a coach. he's more about being on TV. its an easier job than coaching. frankly i don't think he wants the headache. he's no darren perry.

House of Steel
01-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Someone call the Bullshit Party :bsflag: :bsflag:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I kinda had a feeling he was going to retire soon, and since BC is contemplating it, he's been around too long to start over if he was to stay on board assuming a new coach would have him. He is a Steeler legend, and responsible for all the greats in recent history.. Franco, Blier, Foster, Bettis, Parker; everybody that's carried the ball since he started and has done great things, it's because of the coaching of Hoak. The man is no doubt a legend ! He will truely be missed.

Blitzburgh55
01-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Can bettis even coach isnt he under contract for NBC

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Bettis is not giving up his nice cozy job with NBC

Friday133
01-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Someone call the Bullshit Party :bsflag: :bsflag:

what's bullshit?

House of Steel
01-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Your little opinon about Bettis, which is typical bullshit.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Can bettis even coach isnt he under contract for NBC

Yes he is under contract, however most networks don't have a problem letting a commentator out of a deal if it's to go back to coaching, plus the team could buy out his contract to NBC if they wanted.

Personally I would love to see Jerome come back as our RB. How could you want anybody else, the guy has done it all and is a Steeler through and through.

House of Steel
01-01-2007, 10:17 PM
That is what I meant, Friday, TG makes a damn good point to the reason why I would love to have Bettis as our RB coach. HE LOVES PITTSBURGH, HE LOVES THE STEELERS, and HE LOVES THE FANS. To come back to Pittsburgh and coach would be a ultimate dream come true to win another ring without even hurting his knees.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
I would hope he's not too comfy in that desk job that he hasnt forgotten how much fun the football field can be, especially when the coaches get to do all the yelling instead of all the running and drills :lol:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I like the idea of Bettis as RB's coach. But I think he enjoys his nice job at NBC alittle to much. As an NFL coach you have to put alot hours in even during the off-season. With his dad's recent death and the fact Jerome has young daughter I doubt Bettis would want to put in the hours. I think he spend time with his family which he earned the right to.

DIESELMAN
01-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the memories Mr. Hoak, 45 years with one organization...WOW...The stories he could tell, the players hes been involved with. Losing a lot of history and knowledge. That right there should pretty much tell ya which way Cowher is leaning. I agree with ya BGF32, coaching is damn near a 25hr/day job. Next up: Whiz? Gone, Grimm? Stays, LeBeau? Stays, Arians? move up?, Whipple? Move up?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I like the idea of Bettis as RB's coach. But I think he enjoys his nice job at NBC alittle to much. As an NFL coach you have to put alot hours in even during the off-season. With his dad's recent death and the fact Jerome has young daughter I doubt Bettis would want to put in the hours. I think he spend time with his family which he earned the right to.

You're probably right, he has alot on his plate right now, not to mention his Bus foundation too. I'd love to see him back with the Black n Gold though.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-01-2007, 11:11 PM
You're probably right, he has alot on his plate right now, not to mention his Bus foundation too. I'd love to see him back with the Black n Gold though.

Oh I think it would be awesome of have the Bus back with the Steelers as a RB's coach. One of my alltime favorite Steelers. I wouldn't rule Bettis out as coach in the future if he wanted to coach. I just think right now he sticks to his TV gig.

Friday133
01-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Your little opinon about Bettis, which is typical bullshit.

why is it bullshit? because you don't agree with it? i hate to tell ya pal, but you're not going to agree with everything other people say. i'm sorry i don't go down on bettis like you do.

House of Steel
01-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Lighten up, it was a joke. Sure I would love to see Bettis as a RB coach, but it is obvious, as people pointed out, he is busy with his NBC gig, he has a family to tend for, he has a daughter, and running his foundation which to me is a full plate as it is. He doesn't have the time to put the effort and workmanship into coaching.