PDA

View Full Version : Media day highlights

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm watching the NFL Network coverage of the Steelers media day now. Here's some basic notes of what I've seen and heard so far. It was hard to hear most of the questions so I got their comments as much as possible. Media day was for an hour and then the team will get their team photo.

Hines - wants to be known as great football player. doesn't matter who scores or get the credit.

just loves playing football, that's why I smile so much

ward says he didn't pick 86 initially..originally it was 15 when he came to the Steelers. The Steelers gave it to him and he was cool with it

hines said they went out last night, had a good time but still made curfew at 11:45

The anxiety is there, this is what you dream of, for the younger guys. for me I just try to take it all in and enjoy it now. First one was special and overwhelming. 2nd one was injured most of the time, didn't get to do much trying to get ready. This one im healthy and excited, overcome so much with injuries and what not. Deion asked Hines what was said when he talked to Ben earlier in the year. He said Ben was making it a point to get closer to his team, and he has done a great job.

Hines said it was great how Bettis went out, on top. He said he hasn't thought about it (retiring). TOmlin wants him to play next year either way. He said he will play till they push him out the door.

Ben:

walking to his podium filming all the media.

his podium was filled reporters and cameras. A crew followed him from the entrance to his podium.

NFL network made sure to bring up Ben's issues last summer before he started taking questions. (what else is new).

question: how are you handling this media day....
taking it in stride, and excited to play in super bowl since you never know if you'll do it again. Trying to enjoy it.

someone asked if he has pregame rituals..Ben was happy to answer and enjoyed that reporter..sounded like a young boy asking it.
Ben, I shake everyone's hands always before every game. I have a lot of rituals I do

Ben asked why he wears #7...he said john Elway, his favorite
no matter what he's the greatest

what has helped you get through this year...
my faith, my family, my teammates

you go thruough changes in life..Im not here to reflect Im here to play the game. when you're faced with challenges you have to overcome you have to respond and overcome. I was challenged and I wanted to rise to the occasion

Ben was asked if he believes he is a good guy... he said yeah i think i am and smiled.

commented with peter king story and commissioner....he wasn't aware until it was brought up. i don't read that stuff much, he hears this stuff from his agent or media.

asked how he would like to be perceived - for someone to say that I am a God fearing person, put family first, enjoyed football, lived every day like it's his last.

ben this will be one of our greatest challenges in this game

mendenhall has come a long way, should be considered as one of the better ones. he does it all. For him it's awesome to be able to contribute.

Pouncey asked if he is going to play.... he said he is going to play, in his mind he is going to play. he is preparing to play no matter what.
he is wearing a boot. he said he is doing a lot of ice, doing the bike, he is moving around a lot better. Pouncey guaranteeing he may play and winked...was asked by Deion

flozell had a big contingent as well. he appeciates the guys and this chance. he still talks to some of his own teammates. asked what it's like to be back in dallas...flozell said it feels good that i was able to make it here. its the super bowl and im happy to be a part of it. very anxious to play on Sunday. Fortunate that all the guys can play multiple positions this year.

Tomlin - sean has done a nice job in coming in and kicking for us.

Doesn't pat his young receivers on the back too much but they've done a nice job. Hines ward has helped a lot.

we appreciate jerry jones lending us his stadium this week

we are blessed to be here, guys care about each other, don't care who gets the credit.

I am not counting Pouncey out we will give him every opportunity to do to play.

we have a lot of history in our program, we stay grounded and focused. we just want to win.

are you doing anything different this year at the super bowl. trying to have more fun this week, let my hair down some. not micro manage the team and media so much.

Harrison:

week in and week out, if you look at the film there's guys who players worse than I do. i was the posterboy, I don't know why.

This has been not really bitter sweet even with all I've been through, we just happen to make it this year and we're trying to win.

I get him down by any means necessary, that's my thought process.

Asked if he was bitter, they took 100K out of my pocket, do you think I'm not bitter?

Troy is the best player in the game right now..im happy for him, probably more for him than he is for him. Was asked if we should expect some hard hits, he said " we are not hitting hard we don't want fined"

Polamalu: this is what i have to do to support my family and because I love them. That's why i sacrifice myself so much as a football player.

it's important for any defensive player to get a feel for the defense, and then get a flow of the offensive game plan and what the coaches are thinking. You can go out and react on instinct and not think about it.

Was asked in joking how to spell Polamalu...LOL. Do you have a nick name like Big Ben? He said no and laughed.

Tomlin:

Tomlin - sean has done a nice job in coming in and kicking for us.

doesn't pat his young recievers on the back too much but they've done a nice job. hines ward has helped a lot.

we appreciate jerry jones lending us his stadium this week

we are blessed to be here, guys care about each other, don't care who gets the credit.

I am not counting Pouncey out we will give him every opportunity to do to play.

we have a lot of history in our program, we stay grounded and focused. we just want to win.

are you doing anything different this year at the super bowl. trying to have more fun this week, let my hair down some. not micro manage the team and media so much.

Flozell:

flozell had a big contingent as well. he appeciates the guys and this chance. he still talks to some of his own teammates. asked what it's like to be back in dallas...flozell said it feels good that i was able to make it here. its the super bowl and im happy to be a part of it. very anxious to play on Sunday. Fortunate that all the guys can play multiple positions this year.

Keisel:

Has not shaved since June..

We have to make a play on defense, that's our mentality.

You just watch Troy, what he does is second to none.

Who's more ready for this game, me or the beard. I am, the beard needs to focus more on the game he joked. It has a tshirt, twitter, website and beard.

Rampage
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I think Pouncey is going to play. That kid looks like he is optimistic which is a great sign.

EDIT:

I love Harrison's comment (not verbatim): They took $100,000 out of my wallet this season, you think I'm not going to be bitter?

pimplydan
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I hope you're right , I'd love to see jersey 53 on the field for sure .

I think Legursky can do well but I really feal for Pouncey , he had a great year and deserves to play in the big game .

SteelersGirlTN7
02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
I was just watching some of Media Day interviewing Harrison .. and to the subject of how he plays the game and the fines, etc.... he says "I just wanna tackle them softly on the ground, and uhh, if y'all can , we'll lay a pillow down where I'm gonna tackle them, so they don't hit the ground too hard, Mr Goodell...

LOL Love it!

pimplydan
02-01-2011, 01:54 PM
nicely said harrison :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Deion with Manny and Tone: Both are going to make the big play, it's the super bowl so we have too.

Playing with Ben: improvise, won't die easy, its like playing backyard football.

asked what we can expect from them....88 & 84 gonna make big plays. both guys sporting shades and eating it all up.

Overall Ben handled media day with grace and charm. He signed the hat of a young student reporter there and took a picture with him. Same one that he talked to in the beginning.

He commented that his best friend was there for him, Brett Keisel. That he focused on getting a better relationship with all his teammates. He took it to heart and will continue to do so.

Ben said he talked to Bradshaw for an interview and then 10 minutes with a heart to heart. We are both good, worked things out. Perhaps he spoke alittle too soon earlier in the year, but we worked it out.

Bradshaw also said they had a good talk and he was glad they had it.

K Train
02-01-2011, 02:19 PM
i dont like brown being referred to as tone...makes me sad :-(

steelersbabex25
02-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I think Pouncey is going to play. That kid looks like he is optimistic which is a great sign.

EDIT:

I love Harrison's comment (not verbatim): They took $100,000 out of my wallet this season, you think I'm not going to be bitter?

It's good to be optimistic, but lets be real. He's got a high ankle sprain and a broken bone, both killer injuries.

Rampage
02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
It's good to be optimistic, but lets be real. He's got a high ankle sprain and a broken bone, both killer injuries.

Tape it up and take a salt tablet.

:helmet::cope:

manny88
02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
As far as Pouncey goes.....I appreciate his optimism but I just dont see him playing.

I just watched the media day and came away with some thoughts:

Steelers to a man seem quietly confident.
Ben is handling himself well in spite of recent Goodell comments and off field issues.
Some rookie Steeler will play a big role for us....my prediction is Brown.
James Harrison is going to bring it and he along with Ben will get last laugh.

K Train
02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
brett keisel is my hero

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Honestly I like how the team handled themselves overall. They were confident but humble, realizing what they have a chance to do.

The only real characters seemed to be Brown and Sanders who were hanging out while talking to Deion. They were having fun though and didn't say anything crazy, so it's all good.

Harrison was smiling here and there but the intensity he was showing even when confronted by female reporters was substantial. He knows what he has to do and he is definitely focused on the goal at hand.

steelersbabex25
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
brett keisel is my hero

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4064/17900519077830427343513.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/17900519077830427343513.jpg/)

:rofl:

Troyisabeast_43
02-01-2011, 03:52 PM
I watched both teams media day appearances and as many have said in this thread the Steelers seem like they are the more focused team and while they didnt come off as arrogant or cocky they seem to have a quiet swagger about them as if they already know if they play the way they are capable of playing that the Packers will not beat them. Everybody handled themselves very well and watching Deion Sanders with Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown and seeing how confident these two are in their playmaking abilities really makes me feel good about one of them having a really big game. Did anybody talk to Mike Wallace?? I didnt see him get interviewed at all and was wondering if he got any mic time for an extended period. I think Wallace will have a huge game on Sunday...Look for him to make a 50 yard plus TD and make a lot of big plays catching the football.

SteelDad
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Some quick takes from media day....

1. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't mean diddly squat, but I'm glad Ben and TB have buried the hatchet. Good for the Steelers period.

2. Keisel is definitely becoming an all-time favorite. His beard is single-handedly taking over and keeping the pressure away from a lot of guys which I like. Keeps us flying under the radar.

3. Harrison and Ward are soundbites waiting to happen and they never let us down!

4. Tomlin continues to impress. Handles these things so well....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
You have to love all the players putting on the Troy wig! I think we'll make some avatars of those!

K Train
02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4064/17900519077830427343513.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/17900519077830427343513.jpg/)

:rofl:

when asked why he started growing his beard out in june brett keisel replied:

"to look like this"

thats ****ing awesome

Dan
02-01-2011, 06:51 PM
What I noticed is how there's just a few inches of snow and the people in Texas think it's a blizzard. The Packers and their fans must be laughing their butts off (and that would be a lot of laughing) at the Texans. I don't know about Pittsburgh, but in Wisconsin, that would be mild weather

SteelDad
02-01-2011, 06:57 PM
when asked why he started growing his beard out in june brett keisel replied:

"to look like this"

thats ****ing awesome

If I grew out a tenth of what he has I'd be itching like a dog with fleas. No telling what small societies Deisel has living in there.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6oR9_wV4yerZwH0EPKqkMNEvAeXWDQ VO1tO-OiRUhnGICOV3X

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
He has to be related to grizzy adams :lol: http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/grizzly_adams.jpg

Rampage
02-01-2011, 07:21 PM
He has to be related to grizzy adams :lol: http://isportacus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/grizzly_adams.jpg

You should have heard Jim Rome about the beard. He said something like, To compare Brett's beard to Grizzly Adams is ridiculous. Grizzly Adams is like the prepubescent stubble of a dungeons and dragons loser living in his parents' basement.

SteelerDave74
02-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Love Keisel, he was terrific. Harrison pumped me up with his comment about the fines. It was a great Media Day for em.

SteelerCountry58
02-02-2011, 12:03 AM
I thought everyone did great on the footage I seen.
It looks like it can be stressfull with all the cameras and
questions being thrown at you but it seems to went smooth.
Especially loved Keisel,he is freakin awesome!
The Beard will lead us to victory!!:cope:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs588.ash2/151046_173288192693991_173288106027333_420223_3683 789_n.jpg

jd1000
02-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Very respectfully disagree Manny. I see Pouncey starting the first series and him and Legursky platooning the position throughout the night. Obviously if he goes down he is out the rest of the way.

Steeler trainers and medical staff are an overlooked asset of this team. I recall the Steelers being pioneers regarding concussion research as far back as the early 1990's. (ironic huh?) More recently, they were able to get Ward game ready in XLII, Ben ready earlier this year with his foot(and nose), and I suspect Pouncey will be listed tomorrow and certainly Friday as LP with Probable listed by his status. Let's also not forget their work with Troy and his Achilles.

Mr. Rooney spends the $$ on overlooked things such as medical staff because he knows that little logistal "keys" like that are an important investment to keep his stars healthy and to win titles. Plus Pouncey is young...that never hurts.

JD from Utah:2cents:

LatrobePA
02-02-2011, 09:14 AM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/02/02/020111-NFL-Brett-Keisel-JW_20110202001525363_116_175.JPG

StlersGuy
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
My fav was Harrison's put a pillow under the guy i'm going to tackle comment...

*Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk Pro.

LarryNJ
02-03-2011, 05:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0KRxwZzDA

steelersbabex25
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
"...I'd rather not say." :rofl:

K Train
02-03-2011, 02:45 PM
william gay and crezdon butlers videos are ****ing hilarious