PDA

View Full Version : AP Defensive Player of the Year: Troy Polamalu

Farrior Fan
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
Unreal that he wins after missing several games and playing hurt down the stretch. What a game changer. Now go win the big game 43!

Go 'Lers
01-31-2011, 08:19 PM
It came across the wire 8:14, Troy Polamalu becomes the next Steeler to win the award. :tt02: :tt02:

SteelCityKid5
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Profootballtalk had it leaked at Matthews winning.. I went off on that board and I am NO HOMER. Troy deserved this. Matthews is a beast but Troy is a game changing play maker. It won many games for us this year. Look our stats and record without this guy. He definitely deserves this award.

Troyisabeast_43
01-31-2011, 08:28 PM
He most definitely deserves it. Without Troy this year and the game changing plays he made in so many key games down the stretch the Steelers would not be playing in this game Sunday in Dallas. Nobody will convince me otherwise. The play he made in Baltimore alone stripping Joe Flacco late in the 4th quarter setting up the go-ahead TD in that game is by far the biggest play in this Steelers season hands down...It gave the Steelers the AFC North division over the Ravens and abled them to get the bye week in the playoffs and 2 home playoff games. Without that the Steelers would have had to go on the road the entire playoffs and most likely do not make it to the Super Bowl...

mos07
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
No brainer.

SteelerNC
01-31-2011, 08:39 PM
CONGRATS TROY!!!!

AZ_Steeler
01-31-2011, 08:48 PM
ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6078149&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

DALLAS -- Now that the voters have chosen Troy Polamalu over Clay Matthews for The Associated Press 2010 NFL Defensive Player of the Year award, the two stars can prove their worth against each other on the field.

In the Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh safety Polamalu received 17 votes Monday from a nationwide panel of 50 media members who cover the league, edging Green Bay linebacker Matthews by a hair -- two votes.

Despite missing two games, in which Pittsburgh went 1-1, Polamalu became the sixth Steeler to win the award. He had seven interceptions this season along with 63 tackles, but made his mark with big plays. In a late-season victory at Baltimore, his leaping tackle forced a fumble that set up the winning touchdown.

That victory catapulted the Steelers to the AFC North title. Now, they are in the Super Bowl for the third time in six seasons, where they face Matthews and the Packers.

"I don't imagine their game plan changing over one player," Polamalu said. "We don't single out anybody. Anything we achieve here is done as a team, as a whole."

Added Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who finished third in the balloting with eight votes and won the award two years ago: "Troy brings this defense from a 'C' defense to an 'A' defense. He's someone that you have to account for in the secondary."
Use the link above for the rest of story...

:cope:

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Yeeessss!!! Finally! My fave player gets what he deserves! Now get us a ring!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Congrats to Troy..a well deserved honor! It's clear the Steelers would not be where they are today without his presence on the field.

TheExiled
01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Congrats Troy!! You are very deserving of the award. You are an inspiration on & off the field. here's wishing you continued success:tt02::tt02:

Steel Trap86
01-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Harrison in 2008, Troy in 2010.

Troy is the backbone of the top defense in the NFL. Without him we would never have beaten the Ravens that night and probably wouldn't be in the Superbowl right now. Now lets see that Superman jump again as a celebration lol

franchise3
01-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Harrison has 40 tackles, 4 forced fumbles, one interception more than Matthews. 3 sacks less. Obviously, Matthews gets many more votes since everyone hates #92.

SteelDad
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Way to go 43!! No player has affected the way teams prepare like they do for him since the days of Lawrence Taylor. Just my humble opinon.:)

Farrior Fan
02-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Harrison has 40 tackles, 4 forced fumbles, one interception more than Matthews. 3 sacks less. Obviously, Matthews gets many more votes since everyone hates #92.

and he was held without a flag 729 times

igor0190
02-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Matthews should have been 4th in voting... Behind Troy, Peppers, Harrison in that order.

Matthews is a media favorite, I can not see any other reason why they would have voted him second.

pimplydan
02-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Congradulations Troy you well deserve it. I saw your interview when you say to Rod Woodson that there's alot of guys more deseving of it . You're very humble and I like that about you ,but please accept the credit sometimes .

steelersgal86
02-01-2011, 08:15 AM
:woot: congrats Troy...well deserved!!!

SteelerDave74
02-01-2011, 08:26 AM
This is a No Brainer. He is a game changer and a beast. :tt2:

DIESELMAN
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Sweet!! Congrats Troy!!! :woot:

Scorp
02-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeeessss!!! Finally! My fave player gets what he deserves! Now get us a ring!!!

Ours man. He's being interviewed by Rod Wooson right now on NFLN. Congrats Troy.

K Train
02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
personally i dont think he deserved it, i was kinda scratching my head when it was announced....hes been dinged up way to much this year and has missed/disappeared from too many games because of it

Rampage
02-01-2011, 02:00 PM
I love it. The guy is a huge component of this team and he is getting that recognition with the DPOY award.

Hmm, last time this team had a DPOY recipient, I seem to recall him getting a pick 6 and a ring in the big game...

jd1000
02-02-2011, 02:58 AM
Wait a sec K Train. Its ok to disagree but am I to understand that because Troy was hurt/hobbled some and was not the dominant player in EVERY game he shouldn't win? Let's consider a few things:

1 - His presence makes everyone else on the defense play better. Everyone (not just fellow players) but former players, coaches, and analysts admit to that.

2 - I believe the Steelers winning percentage when he does not start is roughly 50 or 55%. It is considerably higher when he does. Case in point: we lost to Baltimore in the first game without Troy. (Although not having Ben also hurt us too..I will admit).

3 - He almost single handedly gave us the AFC North title with that strip sack in Game #2 versus Baltimore. That alone gave us the inside track in the playoffs.

4 - The Title is Defensive Player of the Year. It measures his impact on how he plays his position and how that impacts the rest of team and thus the teams' overall Defensive Impact by his contributions as well. We are the No. 1 Defense in the NFL. And thus with Troy's impact (see #1 again) he deserves it.

While I will admit that Troy was quiet thus far (in the Playoffs) his presence alters the offensive scheme of the opponent. Thus they play off-balance which opens up other opportunities.

Once again, he deserves it....I submit he should have won it by more votes. But hey, like this, if we win Sunday by one or two points, I'll take the Lombardi too.

JD from Utah:cope:

harpo
02-02-2011, 05:32 PM
If anyone didn't deserve the DPOY, it was Clay Matthews. If he didn't get those, what?....6 sacks in the first 2 games, he wouldn't have finished as high as he did. He's not that good in coverage and he's above average against the run. All he's known for is sacking the QB. I like him as a player but I don't think he should've been runner up. I agree with igor, he should've been 4th or 5th in the running. I guess he can thank the media for building him up to finish as high as he did.

I think the winner should've been between Peppers, Harrison and Polamalu. I don't have a problem with Troy winning it, but I don't know if he deserved it more than Peppers. IMHO, it was a toss up between those two.

K Train
02-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Wait a sec K Train. Its ok to disagree but am I to understand that because Troy was hurt/hobbled some and was not the dominant player in EVERY game he shouldn't win? Let's consider a few things:

1 - His presence makes everyone else on the defense play better. Everyone (not just fellow players) but former players, coaches, and analysts admit to that.

2 - I believe the Steelers winning percentage when he does not start is roughly 50 or 55%. It is considerably higher when he does. Case in point: we lost to Baltimore in the first game without Troy. (Although not having Ben also hurt us too..I will admit).

3 - He almost single handedly gave us the AFC North title with that strip sack in Game #2 versus Baltimore. That alone gave us the inside track in the playoffs.

4 - The Title is Defensive Player of the Year. It measures his impact on how he plays his position and how that impacts the rest of team and thus the teams' overall Defensive Impact by his contributions as well. We are the No. 1 Defense in the NFL. And thus with Troy's impact (see #1 again) he deserves it.

While I will admit that Troy was quiet thus far (in the Playoffs) his presence alters the offensive scheme of the opponent. Thus they play off-balance which opens up other opportunities.

Once again, he deserves it....I submit he should have won it by more votes. But hey, like this, if we win Sunday by one or two points, I'll take the Lombardi too.

JD from Utah:cope:
if your gonna make those comparisons you could say the same thing for ed reed who played in 10 games and still led the league in picks. troy has a knack for being made a fool of when hes not on....his first few games were atrocious and despite saving the AFC north he also completely disappeared in the baltimore and jets game in the playoffs and did nothing but miss tackles.

im not impressed with him this year, mostly due to injuries. if anyone on the steelers deserves it, it was harrison imo

harrison, peppers, and matthews deserved it more than troy...not that troy is a bad player but this wasnt even his best year imo.

If anyone didn't deserve the DPOY, it was Clay Matthews. If he didn't get those, what?....6 sacks in the first 2 games, he wouldn't have finished as high as he did. He's not that good in coverage and he's above average against the run. All he's known for is sacking the QB. I like him as a player but I don't think he should've been runner up. I agree with igor, he should've been 4th or 5th in the running. I guess he can thank the media for building him up to finish as high as he did.

I think the winner should've been between Peppers, Harrison and Polamalu. I don't have a problem with Troy winning it, but I don't know if he deserved it more than Peppers. IMHO, it was a toss up between those two.

matthews is **** against the run, but hes a hell of a pass rusher and solid in coverage.

i just dont think troy would have gotten my vote thats all, he was too inconsistent. i do set the bar high for him though, i just didnt see the same dominance hes had in recent healthy years

Phenomenal TJ
02-03-2011, 12:54 AM
K, I see where you're coming from, really I do. The reason Polamalu won it this year wasn't because he was head and shoulders (lol puns) above the rest of the defenders in the league, but because he made the most memorable plays, the ones that stuck out in the minds of the voters.

In my opinion, there wasn't really a defensive player that absolutely took over games this year, so it was a tough year to make a choice, and the voters merely let their memories/the media make up their minds for them.

Though, I can't say he didn't deserve it. Like you said, when he was on, he was really, really on. He made quite a few plays that quite literally either defined or saved the Steelers season. Everyone remembers the Flacco sack/fumble, if nothing else. Clay Matthews didn't have a sack that stands out in everyone's mind, plus Polamalu edged him out in tackles (how that happens when you're a premiere LB, I dunno). Peppers' best performance was probably when the Bears shut down Michael Vick, but I still can't come up with a season defining play from him either.

DanRooney
02-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Troy deserved every ounce of it. Too many splash plays this season including 4 which you could argue were game winning plays.

Clay was in the predicament where he didn't have better stats as another player in the same position. He had 3 more sacks than Harrison, but FORTY less tackles, 4 less forced fumbles and 1 less INT.

And all three weren't consistent in the least bit. So that argument is pretty null and void. Clay had an incredibly fast start but died off completely midseason, only to slightly pick up towards the end. Harrison was steady up until the final 5 weeks until he disappeared. Polamalu was actually the most consistent of the 3 if you ask me. Flacco's strip sack had to be the nail in the coffin for the voting.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-03-2011, 02:53 AM
I could see a case for James Harrison no doubt and I personally thought Harrison should have gotten the award or Julius Peppers....In my opinion the Peppers effect on that Bears D was huge.....I don't think Clay Matthews deserved the award.....He started off the season on fire then cooled down and in my opinion he doesn't play the run well at all......

Troy probably got the award on rep and I'm not saying he didn't deserve it since yes he made a ton of huge/clutch plays that gave him a solid case to win the award but his rep did him some......

Ed Reed leading the NFL in INT's in just 10 games was sick........Reed still balling and on top of his game......

harpo
02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
matthews is **** against the run, but hes a hell of a pass rusher and solid in coverage.

i just dont think troy would have gotten my vote thats all, he was too inconsistent. i do set the bar high for him though, i just didnt see the same dominance hes had in recent healthy years

He's a great pass rusher and that's about it. He needs to improve vs. the run and in coverage, as he has trouble covering TEs. Matthews is more of a "DeMarcus Ware" type player.

I see your point regarding Troy, and I think he had a better season in 2008-09 but I still think he deserved it moreso than Matthews. But the more I think about it, my vote would be for Peppers. But like I said, i don't have a problem with the "head & shoulders" guy winning it.

K Train
02-03-2011, 01:40 PM
i thought peppers was CLEARLY the most dominant defensive player in the league....the man was beating triple teams all year, he was unblockable and made alot of plays.

i just think troy whiffed on too many plays to be considered great this year....id love for him to wrap up a tackle just once. a splash play here and there mixed in with some of his worst games as a pro doesnt get my vote. sorry i know i get condemned when i criticize the mighty troy polamalu but i wouldnt have voted for him, if i was giving a homer vote (non peppers vote) it would have been for harrison who was overshadowed by the fines and being labeled a dirty player, but quietly had a great season