PDA

View Full Version : Some more Steelers advantages over the Packers...

Troyisabeast_43
01-31-2011, 07:55 PM
The Packers run defense ranked 18th allowing 114.9 yards per game. As for the difference that 28.7 yards per game makes, If the Packers allowed 28.7 more yards per game rushing, there would only be 3 teams worse in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers is better against the blitz, WHEN it is picked up by the blockers. When teams blitz and he does not get touched, he is excellent with a completion percentage of 66.5%. He has 5 TDs and 1 INT with 8 sacks. BUT, when he is under pressure, his completion percentage drops to 45% with 5 TDs, 1 INT, and 30 sacks. As stated many times, the key will be to HIT Rodgers, not just blitz him.

And, I have to laugh out loud about all the Woodson hype. Woodson was a 4.4 to 4.45 guy coming out of college. There is NO way anyone can tell me that he is under 4.5 at 34. Tramon Williams ran a 4.57 at his pro day in 2006. Sam Shields is the only guy the Packers have that even approaches the speed needed to cover Mike Wallace. If the Packers put Wallace in man coverage they will be in huge trouble. The Packers corners will need safety help over the top on Wallace, meaning to pull an 8th man into the box, they either have to man cover Hines Ward or place a single guy on Heath Miller. Either way, I'll take that. If the Packers do not bring an 8th man in the box, the Steelers will roast their mediocre run defense, much like they did the #3 ranked run defense last weekend against the Jets.

Overall, I am not too worried about this game when push comes to shove. The Steelers dropped 4 games this season to 4 playoff teams. They lost to the Patriots, Ravens, Jets, and Saints. The Packers lost to teams like the Lions, Redskins, and Dolphins and THEN almost get beaten by a 3rd string QB in the playoffs.

You can talk all you want, but the Packers are in the Super Bowl because the Bears offense sucks. The only top 10 defense they faced in the playoffs was the Bears at #9. They will get a taste of reality come Sunday in Dallas.

One other point last year, when the Steelers and Packers played, they still had Matthews, Woodson, Williams, and others and Roethlisberger put a 5-spot on the Packers defense. The Packers sacked him 5 times behind a worse line than they have now, and he STILL put up 500 yards.

The bottom lins is I am still not concerned. The Steelers still have guys that have played under those flashing lights before and the Packers dont. Ben Roethlisberger will outplay Aaron Rodgers and much like he always seems to have a knack for doing in these big games late he will make a big play or two that will make a big difference in this game. Also, the Steelers defense is better then the Packers defense and that will also be the difference as well. Troy Polamalu has been way too quiet for way too long the last month or so. He has yet to come up with a big time play in either of the Super Bowls he has played in. Look for Troy to finally come up big in this game and Im expecting him to make a big big defensive play in this game at some point that will really be a major turning point in this game...

LarryNJ
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM
I love the way you think dude! :) Do you think Ben will have the time to get it to Wallace deep?

Troyisabeast_43
01-31-2011, 08:13 PM
I love the way you think dude! :) Do you think Ben will have the time to get it to Wallace deep?

If Mendenhall has the success running the ball that we all think he can against this Packers defense then it will most definitely open up the play action passing game for Ben to where he can take a bunch of shots down the field to Wallace. Look for the Steelers to take numerous shots down the field to Wallace if they are running the ball successfully especially around the 45-50 yard line like they usually do. Wallace I believe gets at least one 40-50 yard plus TD in this game. He burned the Packers secondary last season in the game here at Heinz Field, he will do it again Sunday in Dallas...

cmerrifield
01-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Even if Ben doesnt hit Wallace for a 50 yard TD, Mendy will benefit from Wallace just being in there. The Packers cant afford 8 guys in the box and not have 2 safeties back to help cover Wallace. If they do bring a safety up, a deep pass to Wallace or even a slant could be a huge play.

Goodfrom55
01-31-2011, 10:00 PM
As long as Ben has time to throw, he'll pick this Packer defense apart. And just to take a shot with Wallace once in a while means they can't settle 8 or 9 guys into the box to stop the run. Wallace, Sanders, and Brown can all fly and no one knows how to find the soft spot in a zone defense like Hines. Too many weapons for the Pack to defend.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Im feeling so confident about this game. Ben knows their D and if he gets time, we will shred them.

Here we goo Steelers!!!!!!!

Farrior Fan
01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Dont forget that BA actually has to call plays that will benefit our advantages....

Scorp
01-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Im feeling so confident about this game. Ben knows their D and if he gets time, we will shred them.

Here we goo Steelers!!!!!!!

After all he is our 2 time super bowl champion. :cope:

igor0190
02-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Great post with a lot of great points Troy43...

One thing i'm curious about is what the Steelers record is against the 3-4.... I know it was well advertised last year that the Steelers did not have a good record against 4-3 teams, which makes me think... :thinking:

greennick
02-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I really don't get the over-confidence. While I think we are a damn good chance in this game, I put it at 50/50. It will probably all come down to a few plays, which really could go either way. I don't see a blow-out happening from either side. You never know though.

JensK
02-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Packers have only allowed 69.7 yards per game on the ground in the post season though, and Raji is playing out of his mind (even if you don't count the interception). With that being said, I concur.. Packers can be run on, and we'll have to establish our run game if we want to win this game.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
The Steelers defense absolutely must get to Rodgers. He is as good as it gets when he has time to throw, he'll pick apart any secondary. Our defense is predicated on stopping the run first but then getting to the QB. If we can do that we'll have some success. Rodgers is very good at sliding in the pocket to avoid pressure and he's better than average when he has to run so bringing him down is no easy task. The front 3 of the Steelers must keep contain and collapse the pocket so the LB's can have those couple extra seconds to get to him. I like our chances if we can do that. Rodgers is just like any other QB in the league with the exception of Ben, that if you get in his face you can rattle him. Ben can make something out of nothing like nobody else which is a big advantage for us.

Pressure, Pressure, Pressure, that's what inspires a defense and gets you off the field on 3rd down.

AZ_Steeler
02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
The Packers run defense ranked 18th allowing 114.9 yards per game. As for the difference that 28.7 yards per game makes, If the Packers allowed 28.7 more yards per game rushing, there would only be 3 teams worse in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers is better against the blitz, WHEN it is picked up by the blockers. When teams blitz and he does not get touched, he is excellent with a completion percentage of 66.5%. He has 5 TDs and 1 INT with 8 sacks. BUT, when he is under pressure, his completion percentage drops to 45% with 5 TDs, 1 INT, and 30 sacks. As stated many times, the key will be to HIT Rodgers, not just blitz him.

And, I have to laugh out loud about all the Woodson hype. Woodson was a 4.4 to 4.45 guy coming out of college. There is NO way anyone can tell me that he is under 4.5 at 34. Tramon Williams ran a 4.57 at his pro day in 2006. Sam Shields is the only guy the Packers have that even approaches the speed needed to cover Mike Wallace. If the Packers put Wallace in man coverage they will be in huge trouble. The Packers corners will need safety help over the top on Wallace, meaning to pull an 8th man into the box, they either have to man cover Hines Ward or place a single guy on Heath Miller. Either way, I'll take that. If the Packers do not bring an 8th man in the box, the Steelers will roast their mediocre run defense, much like they did the #3 ranked run defense last weekend against the Jets.

Overall, I am not too worried about this game when push comes to shove. The Steelers dropped 4 games this season to 4 playoff teams. They lost to the Patriots, Ravens, Jets, and Saints. The Packers lost to teams like the Lions, Redskins, and Dolphins and THEN almost get beaten by a 3rd string QB in the playoffs.

You can talk all you want, but the Packers are in the Super Bowl because the Bears offense sucks. The only top 10 defense they faced in the playoffs was the Bears at #9. They will get a taste of reality come Sunday in Dallas.

One other point last year, when the Steelers and Packers played, they still had Matthews, Woodson, Williams, and others and Roethlisberger put a 5-spot on the Packers defense. The Packers sacked him 5 times behind a worse line than they have now, and he STILL put up 500 yards.

The bottom lins is I am still not concerned. The Steelers still have guys that have played under those flashing lights before and the Packers dont. Ben Roethlisberger will outplay Aaron Rodgers and much like he always seems to have a knack for doing in these big games late he will make a big play or two that will make a big difference in this game. Also, the Steelers defense is better then the Packers defense and that will also be the difference as well. Troy Polamalu has been way too quiet for way too long the last month or so. He has yet to come up with a big time play in either of the Super Bowls he has played in. Look for Troy to finally come up big in this game and Im expecting him to make a big big defensive play in this game at some point that will really be a major turning point in this game...

I wish I had your confidence :) yes I feel they will win, I just don't like to get over confident because they still need to play the game.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 12:48 PM
The place where the Steelers can be vulnerable is the secondary. Not so much with Ike Taylor, but depending on how healed up McFadden is and what type of player Gay will draw in various situations. Again, this is where the pressure on Rodgers will come in to play. If he doesn't have time to throw then it becomes advantage Steelers. Now, the pass defense has gotten better over the last half of the season and has played very well in the post season. The Packers receiving corp is well known as one of the best in the league.

I'm confident that our defense can make a play, even when we've gone up against big time Quarterbacks and lost those games we didn't get blown out with the exception of the Patriots. Our offense has enough fire power to play a shoot out but I like our chances of our defense coming up with a big play when needed. I'm certainly not over confident or guaranteeing a win..none of us are. However we are confident, and rightly so.

steelersbabex25
02-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Dont forget that BA actually has to call plays that will benefit our advantages....

.............:duh:

Troyisabeast_43
02-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Packers have only allowed 69.7 yards per game on the ground in the post season though, and Raji is playing out of his mind (even if you don't count the interception). With that being said, I concur.. Packers can be run on, and we'll have to establish our run game if we want to win this game.

If the Packers stack the box with 8 guys in attempt to stop Mendenhall then there is no doubt about it that guys like Wallace,Heath,and Sanders or Brown are going to be open to make big plays in the Packers secondary. The Packers are really going to have to pick their poison with this Steelers offense because at some point if Wallace gets one on one coverage against Woodson,Shields,Williams,or anybody else he will burn one of them for a deep pass which could result in a TD. Wallace is long overdue to make a big vertical passing play through the air much like Troy is long overdue to make a huge defensive play that could end up being the difference in the game...

AZ_Steeler
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Thought this was interesting:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/96/fullj.7d9073dbe25d6dacd8fef8eab8383189/ap-6c752596d7284720931ffd5b26b067dd.jpg

roosterray
02-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Thought this was interesting:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/96/fullj.7d9073dbe25d6dacd8fef8eab8383189/ap-6c752596d7284720931ffd5b26b067dd.jpg

One thing you have to look at is the Packers post season numbers vs the run. I think it is way skewed - Phi really doesn't run, Atl Got behind so fast they gave up on the run, and Chicago didn't run much at all either.

This is similar to the NYJ that they haven't face a real run dedicated team yet, and they haven't faced a top flight defense yet. We played the Ravens and the jets. Both highly rated. We'll see on game day. I'm not counting on a blow out, just saying we've seen tougher teams.:tt02:

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2011, 02:25 AM
The Steelers must be able to run the ball somewhat against the Pack and I think they will.......The Pack was burnt by play action in last years game......I would run Rashard early and often then boom start the play-action.....If not Wallace deep then Miller over the middle....Miller over the middle should be there all game.....

If the Pack had Finley for this game then I would be more worried....He tore the Steelers a new butt hole in last years game.....

Raleigh Steel
02-02-2011, 05:49 AM
troy is a beast....EXCELLENT POST!!!!!

it all comes down to execution.

BA does a better job against 3-4 defenses...most of his game plans are designed to beat the steelers and nobody else.

the packers won't even try to run the ball. they think that rodgers can beat our secondary all day. so we have to get to him early and often. make him uncomfortable.

the way lebeau has been utilizing troy in pass coverage will really slow down the packers passing game. rodgers will be scared to throw anywhere near him.

giving kugler 2 weeks to work with legursky as the starting center....i feel confident enough. i'd love to have pouncey in there healthy, but doug can do the job.

if the game is close, which i think it will be, i love the fact that #7 is our QB. with the game on the line i believe ben will deliver!

how does everyone feel about suisham? he's done really well for us, and it's probably unfair of me for thinking this, but i get nervous every time he lines up for a FG. can he deliver when called upon in a pressure situation?

in the end, i believe the steelers win this game by 4 points or less. no way they win this game by a td or more...that would be boring. steelers love to make it interesting. if the steelers were up by 40 at halftime vs the jets they would have given up 35 in the second half. i honestly think the steelers are trying to kill me...lol...either way i believe it will be close, down to the wire, and steelers prevail! :tt02:

and i can guarantee that when the steelers win, the haters come out and say that it was only because of the refs...to them i say...:doublefinger:

NHStlrfan
02-02-2011, 03:20 PM
The key advantage Pittsburgh has is getting to the QB and pounding him. If that happens early then it's a long day for Aaron Rodgers and the GB passing attack. His history, as recent as the 2011 NFCCG is after being hit he is not the same and plays at a lesser level. This is true of most QBs. Ben is the anomale.

This will be seen with the Steelers LBs getting to him early and often. GB will counter with run attempts however dedication to the pressure needs to stand firm and pound Rodgers. I like the chances of that happening looking at a close first half then the Steelers separating in the second half. Similar to SB XIV. For those of us old enough to remember the Rams simply got ovewhelmed after they gave it all they had. That game ended 31-19. Should be similar in this one but as with that game will feel like it was closer.

86WARD
02-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Rodgers is 3-2 in the 5 games this season he's played against the 3-4 defense. In those games he's been sacked 16 times. In the other 13 games the Packers played against the 4-3 he was sacked 22 times. THere's a very good chance that the Steelers will get to Rodgers a few times...

And the 3-4 teams that "beat him up"...not very good...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Another key in this game is Heath Miller. Don't be surprised to see him be a big advantage for us in this game. His ability to find the soft spot of the defense and get open is huge! I like that matchup with him vs any defense in the league quite honestly.

The media has all but given this game to Green Bay already...I guess that's why they play the game though. Odds stacked against us? I'll take that any day!

SteelerDave74
02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
We have another advantage, we play til the whistles blows!!! It's ain't over til the Final Zeros are showing.

DanRooney
02-03-2011, 01:39 PM
We have another advantage, we play til the whistles blows!!! It's ain't over til the Final Zeros are showing.

I beg to differ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGD8NVLsOk

steelersbabex25
02-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I beg to differ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGD8NVLsOk

Beat me to it..

Troyisabeast_43
02-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I hope and pray that Tramon Williams matches up in man coverage with Mike Wallace. I hope he does it all day.

Wallace will chew him up. Tramon Williams cannot break 4.5 in the 40 going downhill with a tail wind.

Oddly enough, the Ravens doubled Wallace with a corner and a safety over the top. It forced the Steelers go go elsewhere. The results? Sanders had 4 catches for 54 yards and Brown had 3 for 75.

Not only do the Steelers have excellent starters, they have quality depth. They have a better tight end. They have a better running game. They have better balance.

If the Steelers choke the Packers pass game down, they are done. It's over. And, I have watched enough games on the Packers defense, the Steelers will come out in the bunch formation. If the Packers have 5 DBs on the field, they will run. If they are in the standard formation, they will throw. So, when the Steelers have Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Miller, and Mendenhall on the field, do they bring in Shields?

If you bring in the extra DB, Wallace will split out alone, they will bunch the TE and two WRs, Mendenhall will run. I have little doubt the Steelers have the best blocking TE and WRs in this game. If the Packers stay in base to counter the run, it places a linebacker on a TE and receiver. If they play zone, they settle in the zones. You play man, they beat your LBs.

The Steelers could care less if Wallace gets 100 yards or Mendenhall runs for 80. It is all about winning. To win, you have to win the matchups.

Woodson_DownUnder
02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
And don't forget that limiting the opposition on third down conversions is what allowed the Steelers D to help beat both Seattle & Arizona. The Bears clamped the Pack to just 2 third down conversions all game. Rodgers was hurting after Peppers nailed him. That's the key. Ryan Clark spelled it out. Cut his head off. :yesnod:

Goodfrom55
02-03-2011, 10:35 PM
If the pressure comes up the midddle so Rodgers can't step up, he's in for a long day. Everyone makes comparisons to what Brady did to us this year. Big difference between NE's O-Line and GB's O Line. GB's O-line might be worse than ours. If they spread us out, play press coverage and take away the slant because that's all the time he'll have back there. It's not like Rodgers was barely touched this season; he got killed all year.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
That's a big key there, pressure up the middle. The front 3 for the Steelers have to hold their gaps and try to get a push up the middle. If they can do that it will force either a sack or Rodgers to try and roll out, right into the waiting arms of Harrison, Woodley or a MLB coming on the outside too.

Troyisabeast_43
02-04-2011, 04:08 PM
If the pressure comes up the midddle so Rodgers can't step up, he's in for a long day. Everyone makes comparisons to what Brady did to us this year. Big difference between NE's O-Line and GB's O Line. GB's O-line might be worse than ours. If they spread us out, play press coverage and take away the slant because that's all the time he'll have back there. It's not like Rodgers was barely touched this season; he got killed all year.

If the Steelers hit Aaron Rodgers early and often in this game and jump out to an early 10-0 14-3 lead or something like that the Packers will be in huge trouble. I just do not see them being able to continually spread the Steelers out every single play and have consistent success throwing the ball and scoring points. The Steelers at some point if Green Bay does this during the game will figure it out. Lebeau changed the secondary and the way they do coverages after the Pats game with what Brady did, and I expect those changes he made to have a big time affect on this game Sunday. Bottom line if the Packers have to throw the ball in this game 40-50 times to win they will lose it's as simple as that...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2011, 10:34 AM
How this game starts out will key to the outcome. Both teams are capable of scoring a lot of points in a short amount of time if they have too. The best case scenario is for the Steelers to jump out early in this one to be able to get after Rodgers and force their hand. The Packers won't try to run much anyways, but putting them behind will make them want to throw even more.

If the Steelers are fortunate enough to jump out early in this game, they will do it in a similar manner that they did against the Jets. A combination of the run and the pass, but overall being more physical than the Packers on both sides of the ball. If it comes down to who can punch who harder in the mouth, then we definitely have the edge.

steelersbabex25
02-05-2011, 02:35 PM
The media is making the Packers out to be 100x the better team than they actually are. They have a sub-par defense with a terrible defense against the run. They're secondary is being lead by a 35 year old washed up veteran, and their run offense is being lead by who? James Starks? The only match up that the Packers have over the Steelers is their pass offense vs our pass defense, and you can really only do so much with the pass before Polamalu and Ike and LeBeau figure you out.