PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey or Legursky

SteelCityKid5
01-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Many "experts" are saying Pouncey is doubtful to play in SB 45. But, Tomlin and staff are taking him day by day. My question is: Would you rather have a 50-65% (if that) Pouncey or a 100% Legursky? I thought it would be a good topic to discuss. Your thoughts...

Troyisabeast_43
01-31-2011, 07:58 PM
Gotta go with Legursky if Pouncey is not able to perform at a high level. I have enough faith in Doug L that he will step in and perform well enough to get the job done.

greennick
01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
100% Legursky. Unless Pouncey is able to put a lot of weight on that ankle, it is not worth him being there. A fit Legursky will get more push than a busted up Pouncey. However, if Pouncey is OK to go with a heap of drugs, then throw him in there for some reps.

coach
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Legursky. Not only do I worry about the MPs game on Sunday if not healthy, I would worry about permanent damage. This guy s a stud. Ride him, don't wreck him.

Farrior Fan
01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Watching Pouncey walk down the steps of the plane let me know that I want Doug in there. I'm a 180lb 37yr old with a bad back and I could plow right through Pouncey today. If he can recover by Sunday then we have another immortal Steeler on our hands.

Goodfrom55
01-31-2011, 08:48 PM
A Lineman named, Legursky. That's a Madden Wet Dream.

He did fine against the Jets and will only get better this week. Unless there is Divine Intervention, I don't see Mo being ready to play on Sunday.

TheDiesel
01-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Seriously the way are lineman go down losing Legursky too cannot be ignored.

Scorp
01-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Why not both? Should the situation call for it. After all Steelers are a team, brothers in arms and we're going to need every abled man to step up and be great.

Farrior Fan
01-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Seriously the way are lineman go down losing Legursky too cannot be ignored.

No doubt, what are the rules on this? Can we still bring up someone from the practice squad? Hills?

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-31-2011, 11:35 PM
If Pouncey isn't at 90 % then he shouldn't play...I wouldn't want to see permanent damage done because from his rookie season he will be a longtime anchor for the STEELERS !!

Scorp
01-31-2011, 11:51 PM
What if he's sort of playing it off that his injury isn't as serious? I could be wrong.

Ironman
02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
If Pouncey isn't at 90 % then he shouldn't play...I wouldn't want to see permanent damage done because from his rookie season he will be a longtime anchor for the STEELERS !!

90%? I guarantee you (even with the extended time off) that there are only a handful of players who are feeling 90% or better.

Pouncey is the life force of our offensive line, he IS the aggressor. Every time that ball is snapped Pouncey is there to set the tone before, during, and after the play.

At this point I would take a 67.5% Pouncey over a 110% Legursky, but like you said, permanent damage would be the main concern. Legursky is a solid lineman for what we are paying him for, but Pouncey is a thoroughbred.

Pouncey's one hell of a competitive athlete, and we have a highly commendable medical staff, I think those two aspects make for a healthy combination :yellowthumb:

K Train
02-01-2011, 12:08 PM
the good news is legs is freakishly strong, he can definitely at least stalemate raji a few time and while he'll need help most of the time i think he'll be able to hold his own.

the part that hurts the most is pouncey second level ability, legs will just kinda stay at home in the pocket due to extremely limited mobility

steelchamp204
02-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Gursky def, I dont see why he cant fill in? I mean seriously guys, hes not gonna play abd at all. He will get anough practices in, and hey hes gonna be the freshest starter on the field sunday

coldrolled
02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
maybe we will have more quick slants and short passes in the game plan with pouncey out. arians may be forced to shorten his gameplan a bit. instead of running 4 WR's 25 yards down field.

steelers40xl
02-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Does any body know what we do if legursky would happen to get injured?

TampaSteelGirl
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Seriously????????? :duh:

K Train
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
kemoeatu, foster, or essex would get the snaps and the line would be in complete disarray .

we wont know whos dressing until we know about pouncey though because at this point theres just as much of a chance of him playing as not....who the hell knows

but the interior would be so ****ed up that we would have to move a tackle to guard and probably put spaeth or johnson at LT or dress tony hills or chris scott for the game...yuck

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow really? are you trying to jinx us?

Essex would take over the duties more than likely but since that won't happen we aren't going to talk about it. Like Ktrain said, Pouncey can still play at this point.

Blazedby92
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Does any body know what we do if legursky would happen to get injured?

REALLY and you made a thread about it, come on we can do this all day with any postion, WOW

Rampage
02-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Pouncey must be able to protect in the trenches at the bare minimum; he doesn't need to get into the secondary (like he usually does) in order to be successful here. I would take a 70% Pouncey over a 100% Legursky simply due to the fact that it would maintain the line that got this team to Dallas.

That said, I am confident that Legursky will play well if he is given the responsibility.

steelersbabex25
02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't know don't care. All I know is that somebody better be ready to play and give 100%.

coldrolled
02-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Pouncey Says There's a 75% Chance He Plays on Sunday
During his Media Day session, Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey told Deion Sanders of the NFL Network that there's a 75% chance he'll play on Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV.

Pouncey, a 2010 first-round pick out of Florida, suffered a high ankle sprain and a reported broken bone in his left ankle in the fist quarter of the 2010 AFC Championship Game.

The rookie Pro Bowler denies the existence of a broken bone, and told Sanders that he's been using a lot of ice to treat the ankle. Pouncey has been using crutches to get around, and the cast on his lower left leg has been replaced with a walking boot.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin has not ruled Pouncey out for Sunday, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has cited team sources in reporting that Pouncey, as well as veteran defensive end Aaron Smith, will not play on Sunday.

Backup center/guard Doug Legursky, who revealed that he was trying out for the Grand Rapids Rampage of the Arena Football League when the Steelers called him back during the 2008 season.

steelersbabex25
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Pouncey Says There's a 75% Chance He Plays on Sunday
During his Media Day session, Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey told Deion Sanders of the NFL Network that there's a 75% chance he'll play on Sunday night against the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV.

Pouncey, a 2010 first-round pick out of Florida, suffered a high ankle sprain and a reported broken bone in his left ankle in the fist quarter of the 2010 AFC Championship Game.

The rookie Pro Bowler denies the existence of a broken bone, and told Sanders that he's been using a lot of ice to treat the ankle. Pouncey has been using crutches to get around, and the cast on his lower left leg has been replaced with a walking boot.

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin has not ruled Pouncey out for Sunday, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has cited team sources in reporting that Pouncey, as well as veteran defensive end Aaron Smith, will not play on Sunday.

Backup center/guard Doug Legursky, who revealed that he was trying out for the Grand Rapids Rampage of the Arena Football League when the Steelers called him back during the 2008 season.

Just heard this on the radio. I hope he's being sincere, but half of me feels like he might just be playing mind games.

Troyisabeast_43
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
He talked to Deion Sanders today at media day and he sounded pretty optimistic that he is going to be ready to play. He said he has been doing a lot of ice with the ankle,and hopefully he will be able to ride the bike later today. He said the percentage of him playing right now is 75/25 so we shall see...I have faith in Mike Tomlin that if Pouncey is not capable of playing and Tomlin thinks he would hurt the team more then help them by playing Pouncey then he wont go. I will trust Mike Tomlin's judgement on this decision one way or another...

HUNT4SEVEN
02-01-2011, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=Rampage;408442]Pouncey must be able to protect in the trenches at the bare minimum; he doesn't need to get into the secondary (like he usually does) in order to be successful here. I would take a 70% Pouncey over a 100% Legursky simply due to the fact that it would maintain the line that got this team to Dallas.

:clap::clap: I agree i want Pouncey all day:tt02: I hope if Legursky plays that he has a monster game though...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Some of the Steelers are taking offense to so much being put on Pouncey playing. They are standing up for Doug and letting it be known that he is good and the Steelers aren't just going to roll over if he is at Center, he can handle his own and he's taken it upon himself to make sure he's ready for this game if he needs to play.

NHStlrfan
02-02-2011, 01:21 PM
The question is really even if Pouncey can go how likely is it for him to reinjure the ankle. Determination or not if he starts and goes out again early, then we're playing with one less guy than they are. Yes that's true of any player going down however coming off an injury is he more or less likely to re-injure than someone else? We can dress only so many players and the loss of any one of them will play into the overall game plan. This should not be understated. It's better to have a 100% Legursky for the entire game than a 100% Pouncey for 8 minutes.

steelersbabex25
02-02-2011, 02:51 PM
The question is really even if Pouncey can go how likely is it for him to reinjure the ankle. Determination or not if he starts and goes out again early, then we're playing with one less guy than they are. Yes that's true of any player going down however coming off an injury is he more or less likely to re-injure than someone else? We can dress only so many players and the loss of any one of them will play into the overall game plan. This should not be understated. It's better to have a 100% Legursky for the entire game than a 100% Pouncey for 8 minutes.

The good thing is if Pouncey does aggravate the injury, he has 8 months/20 months to get healthy.

SteelCurtain17
02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I would go with Legursky if Pouncy isn't going to perform at his best. I think that Doug can do well enough to get us a win so unless Pouncy is 100 percent, play Legursky.

NHStlrfan
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM
The good thing is if Pouncey does aggravate the injury, he has 8 months/20 months to get healthy.

You are correct. My thought however is what impact would his going out early be and if that was greater than his being there for a short time. Playing the entire game with one less O lineman isn't all that attractive. Playing the odds if he's able to go but hurting and a minor hit to the ankle will send him out, then I prefer Legursky. Even if Pouncey has luck the chances of his going down need to be considered.

steelersbabex25
02-02-2011, 03:01 PM
You are correct. My thought however is what impact would his going out early be and if that was greater than his being there for a short time. Playing the entire game with one less O lineman isn't all that attractive. Playing the odds if he's able to go but hurting and a minor hit to the ankle will send him out, then I prefer Legursky. Even if Pouncey has luck the chances of his going down need to be considered.

True, point taken. Although, I'd still rather have Pouncey for a half than not at all.

NHStlrfan
02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
True, point taken. Although, I'd still rather have Pouncey for a half than not at all.

So true. Just trying to figure in the odds. My bet is he's going to play and will do fine completing the game. If he does then the sprain wasn't as bad as reported. If he's not out there then we all know it's a bad one and we'll get details later.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Doesn't much matter now, Doug will be the man. The Packers fans and the media will be all over the Packers now. The Steelers will have even more motivation and more fuel for their fire. For being in their 3rd super bowl in recent history and overcoming all that they have overcome, you would think the doubters would come to their senses.

They never do though, they doubt the Steelers week in and week out, year in and year out. It's time to take care of business and give a big FUI to the NFL world and the haters!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Say what you want, but Legurksy played a SOLID game today. BJ Raji had no tackles today and his name was not called at all. He did his job today for the most part and we can be happy that we have a solid backup center for the future.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Really the OL wasn't the problem at all tonight....They played one hell of game.....Injuries took a toll on this group.......I'm not bagging the OL at all but the Steelers must continue to add talents like Maurkice to this group........Yes some of the beating is on Ben but let me say this when you want to throw the ball deep sometimes your OL has to give your QB just that extra second to throw it deep....Kemoeatu was bull rushed on that first INT by Ben which led to Ben's arm being hit that caused an INT.......Ben's pump fake sure didn't help but on that play the OL must sustain their block long enough to allow the QB to get the throw off without being hit.....

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 01:55 AM
Quite honestly they did do a good job tonight, well said. Ben was only sacked once I believe and really wasn't pressured all that much. Clearly they did have some issues here and there but overall this unit stepped up tonight.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Very impressed with Legursky's play yesterday; this guy deserves a roster spot next year. Unfortunately, I was completely disappointed with Kemoeatu. I think the guy is too heavy for his relative strength and he gets to blocks late. I would really like to see this team address his size if they want to get back into a zone blocking technique.

Scorp
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
You all hit the nail right on the freakin head.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Very impressed with Legursky's play yesterday; this guy deserves a roster spot next year. Unfortunately, I was completely disappointed with Kemoeatu. I think the guy is too heavy for his relative strength and he gets to blocks late. I would really like to see this team address his size if they want to get back into a zone blocking technique.

Yeah Kemo was not on his game last night. He was our most solid lineman heading into 2010. He had a decent year overall but last night he was late on many of his blocks and just didn't seem to be the same guy we were used to seeing. He's had a bit of a rough post season overall so I'm not sure how much they are inclined to let it be status quo at LG for 2011. He was a big part of the success in the running game this year so he deserves credit for that, and he worked beside a rookie at LT the last half of the year.

Scott though really improved as well as the year went on, he's now a viable backup at LT which is something we haven't had in a long time.

Back to Legursky though, he is the real deal and we're lucky to have a guy capable of stepping in and shutting down a pro bowl caliber NT like Raji.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Yeah Kemo was not on his game last night. He was our most solid lineman heading into 2010. He had a decent year overall but last night he was late on many of his blocks and just didn't seem to be the same guy we were used to seeing. He's had a bit of a rough post season overall so I'm not sure how much they are inclined to let it be status quo at LG for 2011. He was a big part of the success in the running game this year so he deserves credit for that, and he worked beside a rookie at LT the last half of the year.

Scott though really improved as well as the year went on, he's now a viable backup at LT which is something we haven't had in a long time.

Back to Legursky though, he is the real deal and we're lucky to have a guy capable of stepping in and shutting down a pro bowl caliber NT like Raji.

Agreed. I mean, I like Kemoeatu and I think he can be a really good guard, I just think that he is playing at too heavy a weight. If he could slim down ten or fifteen pounds, I really think his ability to pull and move down field would be better. I want to see this team get back into that zone blocking style and Pouncey is a perfect fit due to his athleticism. If some of these other guys can slim down, I really like the possibilities.

You are right about Scott as well. I was very hard on him and I have to eat crow and say he completely stepped up his game. While I wouldn't say he's a complete starter, he is definitely a competent backup. With Scott, Legursky, and Foster, I definitely like how deep this team is becoming. Hopefully they can add Mike Pouncey to the mix during the draft.

acero
02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
well not only the superbowl KEMO played a bit too aggressive the whole postseason looked like he tried too compensate on his lack of speed or something as a result he was so penalized through the whole postseason and that hurt the team.

hey we may have a chance to plug legursky somewhere on the line along with pouncey