PDA

View Full Version : SI Article with Roger Goodell on Roethlisberger

UKSTEELER
01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
like the little playground snitch that he is . . . :stirpot:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/31/teammates-wouldnt-go-to-bat-for-roethlisberger-with-goodell/

The guy is completely classless!:evilshake:

good, . . . just more fuel to stoke the Steeler fire that will ravage North Texas! :helmet:

LarryNJ
01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
good, . . . just more fuel to stoke the Steeler fire that will ravage North Texas! :helmet:

I agree with you. We all have seen Ben carry this team on his shoulders many times. If this made or makes him want that ring even more it can only be a good thing. The greatest player in all sports when possessed with that will to win are unstoppable. With our average at best O line anything that motivates Ben, Rashard, Hines, Harrison, Woodley, or Troy is a VERY GOOD thing.

SteelDad
01-31-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm not at all suprised that many of Ben's teammates refused to say anything positive in his defense. We don't need a re-hashing of the story to prove my point. I have 2 bigger problems with this.

1. Speaking to his teammates may 'speak to Ben's character,' but what do they have to do with his off-field issues? Nothing.

2. Goodell knew this would come out during the SB and it is IMO a calculated move by him to further draw negative attention to Ben who will already be under the gun when the media day starts tomorrow.

Goodell continues to single-handedly destroy this league.

lloydfan4life
01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh geez... more crap on Ben... Airbrake's now gonna want someone to rape Goodell too. :duh:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Of course this was all planned, we aren't stupid. The more negative attention that Goodell can bring on Ben the better the NFL front office looks and how they were saints to reduce his suspension. either way they look good and he looks bad.

It's old new, the Steelers fans have moved on so whatever. Ben will be ready, the Steelers will be ready. Besides the Packers have problems of their own with this team photo and players not being happy issue.

It's super bowl drama, I just ignore it.

Rampage
01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
This will just make it that much sweeter to see his face handing the Lombardi over to the black and gold.

SteelersGirlTN7
01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
I just heard them talking about this on ESPN News, They were talking about these "meetings". Hines apparently didn't know anything about them, and Farrior said he was in one of them, however, it was nothing but support for Ben. Also, it was said that Farrior himself was trying to ask more questions, such as why Ben couldn't play if there were no charges and Goodell changed the subject.

Ugghh! Drama!

SteelDad
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
I just heard them talking about this on ESPN News, They were talking about these "meetings". Hines apparently didn't know anything about them, and Farrior said he was in one of them, however, it was nothing but support for Ben. Also, it was said that Farrior himself was trying to ask more questions, such as why Ben couldn't play if there were no charges and Goodell changed the subject.

Ugghh! Drama!

Nice pull here! Amazing the complete hypocrisy and flat-out BS by this commissioner.

SteelerDave74
01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
When is this ever going to end? Goddell is an attention whore. This Sunday, I love to see the STEE7ERS rub that Vince Lombardi Trophy up his stinking face.

lloydfan4life
01-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Seriously.... at this point, with all we've seen out of the Commish this season, does anyone really expect anything less out of him?

The guy is a complete douche. Assuming the Steelers win... I can't wait to see the look on his face as he hands us the trophy.... and I really hope whoever accepts it from him has the balls to tell him on national television exactly what they think of him.

airbrake 1
01-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Oh geez... more crap on Ben... Airbrake's now gonna want someone to rape Goodell too. :duh:
no rape would be too good for reichsfuhrer goodell...i think homocide would be a better alternative for the "DEAR LEADER OF THE NFL"

Ugghh! Drama!
since when does what your work peers have to say about you affect your ability to do your job...what in the hell does it matter if anyone likes ben in the locker room explain why this would affect his suspension length...can anyone say "WITCH-HUNT"

When is this ever going to end? Goddell is an attention whore. This Sunday, I love to see the STEE7ERS rub that Vince Lombardi Trophy up his stinking face.
NEVER...goodell and his minions in the press have sucessfully breathed new air into a story that should have died long ago...everytime the steelers get far into the playoffs this will be brought back up as long as ben is playing...goodell knew all the self righteous fans who wanted ben run out of town would start crawling out of their dark crevices with a little prodding...and like good little sheep the weak-kneed fans graciously accomadated the emporer of the NFL... THANKS WEAK-KNEED FANS...please don't watch the game this weekend i wouldn't want you to get offended when ben wins us another title...go steelers

steeldoc
01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
I smell lockout. Bet the negotiations are going poorly and the NFL is trying to make these guys look like villains to the public. Why else would the commish crash and burn with Ben?:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Lunchbucket
01-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Very,very unprofessional Mr. Goodell,and very,very,very underhanded to speak to this during Super Bowl week.Steeler fans know what you are............ Manipulative Jerk !

coach
01-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Why this is relevant this week is beyond me.

The Jets recently leaked video of a Sal Alosi type wall being erected by Cheatriots on side lines during a game. Is Goodell Castro talking about that this week?
You would think he would be more worried about an organization that seems to bend all the rules all throughout the organization, more than one player who showed poor judgment.

It's not like I could lose any more respect for him, though. Of the 4 major sports in NA, I used to think Gary Bettman was the red-headed step child. Gary is solidly number 3.

Wait until the players tell him to **** off and the owners don't get the deal they want. His fine will be that he'll be replaced. None too soon for me.

Clevelandsux
01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
I want us to stick that lombardi trophy up Goodells rear sideways. f-him!!!!! This guy is ruining the league and everything it ever stood for.

Goodfrom55
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Such is life in the proverbial fish bowl of Super Bowl Media coverage. Ben's moved on so no matter what that jagoff (Goodell) says, it doesn't matter.

LarryNJ
01-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Such is life in the proverbial fish bowl of Super Bowl Media coverage. Ben's moved on

Did you see him in the press conference today? I thought he looked great. He smiled at every question, seemed to be very comfortable, and at peace with himself. I expected him to come back from the suspension on fire but he got off to a slower start than I figured. More and more everyday I think he is going to take over this game.

steelerschick1220
01-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Goodell is such an ***. I hope we win just to see the look on his face as he hands the trophy to us with Ben standing up there. It must be crap on Ben week now or something. I guess the fact that he is succeeding in spite of everything makes some folks a little nuts. And for the record, I wouldn't want to establish a connection with Goodell either.....

coach
01-31-2011, 11:25 PM
I want us to stick that lombardi trophy up Goodells rear sideways. f-him!!!!! This guy is ruining the league and everything it ever stood for.

With this guy. I think it would fit sideways.

Farrior Fan
01-31-2011, 11:38 PM
since we are showing our true feelings I want Ben to keep his composure and go out there and win 3 maybe 4 MORE rings so he can finally give everyone the finger and say "I have more rings than a married pimp"

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-01-2011, 12:46 AM
Hell this is all old news. This interview took place over a month ago with goodell and peter King..it is completely irrelevant ...King just trying to get some points bringing this up now

Scorp
02-01-2011, 01:13 AM
I'd love to see Mr. Rooney kick his *** off the stage and maybe bitch slap his stupid, rosy cheeked face.

Real Deal Steel
02-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Seriously.... at this point, with all we've seen out of the Commish this season, does anyone really expect anything less out of him?

The guy is a complete douche. Assuming the Steelers win... I can't wait to see the look on his face as he hands us the trophy.... and I really hope whoever accepts it from him has the balls to tell him on national television exactly what they think of him.

Goodall has shown over and over again that he is a renegade commish who abuses his powers whenever he feels like it. And he is slowly but surely trying to take the physicality out of the game.

RIVERS OF STEEL
02-01-2011, 01:23 AM
jees us kee ryst. he didn't kill nobody or club someone sensless or kill the dogs etc. Yes, i know he was accused of something. hell who hasn't been.
goodbell is a real piece of work. hope he gets his one day. damn goodhell don't you know there is rather big football game coming up this sunday?

Real Deal Steel
02-01-2011, 01:29 AM
When Goodall gets caught with male prostitutes, he won't get a bit of sympathy from me. I will be calling for his resignation quick, fast and in a hurry.

UKSTEELER
02-01-2011, 04:11 AM
oops :lol:

DALLAS -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell talked to an estimated two dozen NFL players, and not two dozen Steelers players, before reaching his disciplinary conclusion on Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in 2010.

This is an important clarification of something I wrote in my "Monday Morning Quarterback'' column. I erred in inserting the parenthetical "Steelers'' in a quote by Goodell, which was an incorrect assumption on my part.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/01/31/clarification/index.html#ixzz1Ch11Z9TO

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/super-bowl-2011/01/31/clarification/index.html#ixzz1CgxhGuOh

SteelersWoman
02-01-2011, 06:12 AM
....goodell and his minions in the press have sucessfully breathed new air into a story that should have died long ago...

If you've been reading message boards on ANY football sites/stories, etc, then you know that to the entire rest of the world, this story has never lost it's "fun" factor for non-Steeler fans.

Unfortunately, they'll still be saying things like Rapistburger, Rapelisburger, hide your women, etc 50 years from now--and then they'll pass the story down to THEIR kids. It'll never end. And it will never matter one IOTA that the man wasn't CHARGED with ANYthing. And why? Because we either beat their team during the season, or because come playoff/Superbowl time, THEIR team is done for the season--THAT'S why. Or just because they don't have what we have. Jealousy makes people say and do awful, ugly, evil things.

I don't even bother replying to them anymore because they're like roaches--they just keep multiplying, and they don't have a brain in their head to talk any sense into anyway.

greennick
02-01-2011, 06:23 AM
If you've been reading message boards on ANY football sites/stories, etc, then you know that to the entire rest of the world, this story has never lost it's "fun" factor for non-Steeler fans.

Unfortunately, they'll still be saying things like Rapistburger, Rapelisburger, hide your women, etc 50 years from now--and then they'll pass the story down to THEIR kids. It'll never end. And it will never matter one IOTA that the man wasn't CHARGED with ANYthing. And why? Because we either beat their team during the season, or because come playoff/Superbowl time, THEIR team is done for the season--THAT'S why. Or just because they don't have what we have. Jealousy makes people say and do awful, ugly, evil things.

I don't even bother replying to them anymore because they're like roaches--they just keep multiplying, and they don't have a brain in their head to talk any sense into anyway.

We never call Ray Lewis a murderer though, do we? :lol:

LarryNJ
02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
We never call Ray Lewis a murderer though, do we? :lol:

:lol::lol: That's different! :greengrin:

LatrobePA
02-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Poor timing for Goodell to spill this. Just goes to prove his hard-on for this team and players.

Win it all then give a big FU to this prick!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Goodell knew exactly what he was doing, and then he brought in Peter King into it. Atleast King clarified what he meant but Goodell has done his best to screw us all year long. Thankfully Ben stood up to him but so did Hines and Farrior. Goodell is the biggest douchebag on the planet and not fit to run the NFL.

Media day I'm sure will see all the clowns from ESPN and everywhere trying to stir the pot. We all should have seen this coming if we didn't, the press and Goodell love to hate Big Ben and the Steelers and now they have a stage to really let it fly. The Steelers will prevail, stronger than ever!

pimplydan
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Ya lets say thank you to that _hit head for bring up those idiotic comments about Ben teammates not supporting him. First of all 90% of that probable is bull_hit.

What I am saying here is , for sure Roger _hit head Goodell doesn't want to present the Lombardi to Ben and the steelers . He would much rather present the Lombardi to Rogers and the packers .

For me that's fuel for my fire . You want to get on that stage at the end of the game .Just to get a nice close look into this man eyes and say thank you (choke choke) when he hands you the trophy.

Goodell is classless he should get what he deserves .

Go 'Lers
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
To Hell with Commissioner Fidel...I mean Goodell (fyi Castro reference)

I wish I were going to Dallas, the resounding boo I would give him if we won would be heard from the rafters!

Blazedby92
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I know for a fact he shouldn't have said it but most likely 110% true, hell have the people in the burgh doesn't even like him and just as many of them hasn't even met him.

He'll use it for motivation anyways, Go Ben GO Steelers!!!!

steelersbabex25
02-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Goodell: What do you guys think of Ben Roethlisberger and everything that's been going on with him this offseason?

Steelers: Ben is a really good guy. It doesn't seem fair that you punish him for something that he was never even charged for.

Goodell: What'd you say? Ben is really terrible? You think I should give him a 4 game suspension? No, a 6 game suspension. Wow, thank you everyone for your input.

Actually, I know all the Steelers hated Ben before this year, so that's probably not how the conversation went.

Clevelandsux
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm hearing Peter King stirred the pot on this one. Media swines. Nobody really knows what Goodell really said.

steeldoc
02-01-2011, 06:33 PM
King should know better, and his behavior is just pathetic. Bet the commish went ape **** when he saw it and had his men blast King a new one. I always thought he was fat and lazy...I was right. Anyone who feels the need to talk about his kids sports teams in his columns :bigfinger:and his favorite Starbucks must just be a douche.

lloydfan4life
02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Peter King just elevated himself to d.i.c.k.head in my book.

I can't stand Roger, and he NEVER should have even talked to King in the first place about the 'process' he went through in determining Ben's 'sentence'... but for King to release this little tidbit of information in the timing that he did (and then to put his own spin on it being ALL Steeler players interviewed by the commish when it wasn't) was nothing more than him being a self-serving POS media douche bag hoping to entice people into buying the next issue of SI to read the full article.

here's to ya, Peter... :bigfinger:

SteelerDave74
02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Peter King + Roger Goddell = Attention Whores. Case Closed.

Lunchbucket
02-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Peter King + Roger Goddell = Attention Whores. Case Closed.

You are absolutely correct,sir!:evilshake:

Scorp
02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Away from the cameras, Terry Bradshaw tries to see for himself if his Pittsburgh successor has changed.

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports

ARLINGTON, Texas – They were face-to-face now in the bowels of Cowboys Stadium, outside Locker Room C that Fox Sports had converted into an interview room. Here on Tuesday morning was the great Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback of the past (Terry Bradshaw) and the present (Ben Roethlisberger(notes)), and absolutely no one knew what was going to happen next.

The relationship between the two was toxic.

Last March, Roethlisberger was accused of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old college student in Milledgeville, Ga. When news broke, Bradshaw began shredding him in a series of interviews, even suggesting that if the Steelers original owner, Art Rooney, was still alive Roethlisberger would’ve been shipped out of town.

“I think Terry spoke a little too soon, before he knew all the facts,” Roethlisberger said Tuesday of an incident that led to no legal charges but ultimately a four-game NFL suspension.

Of all the criticism that rained down on him, Bradshaw’s repeated eviscerations may have stung the most.

“I’ve got two girls,” Bradshaw said of his 21- and 23-year-old daughters. “And anybody that is involved in mistreating women, it doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t know all the facts. Maybe I rushed to judgment too quickly. But it was just because it was the second time [Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault in 2008 also].

“That influenced my hostility because if that happened to my little girls …” Bradshaw couldn’t even finish the thought.

This is what Roethlisberger has wrought. This is what Roethlisberger must repair. He may not have been charged with a crime in Georgia, but his actions were boorish and ugly. It crystallized his reputation as a low-life who just happened to be blessed with a strong arm.

The quarterback has spent this Super Bowl week trying to tell people he is a changed man as he prepares for Super Bowl XLV on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers. Now staring into the face of Bradshaw he would have a chance to show it to perhaps his greatest critic.

The two hadn’t spoken in person since the incident. According to Bradshaw, Roethlisberger refused to shake his hand at Steelers training camp last summer, a scene Bradshaw described as “icy cold.” Their only interaction was a brief, shallow interview during Sunday’s Pro Bowl telecast.

“He doesn’t like me, and I’m learning not to like him,” Bradshaw said last offseason.

Now Bradshaw wanted a sit-down interview and no one knew what Roethlisberger would do. The old Ben may have walked away. Or screamed in Bradshaw’s face. Or slugged someone. Who knows? “We weren’t sure he would sit down with me,” Bradshaw said. “Everyone was nervous.”

The normally unflappable Fox Sports crew was on edge. Well, everyone except for Bradshaw, who still maintains his cool-in-the-pocket-demeanor.

“Terry was calming me down,” co-host Howie Long said.

Bradshaw was going to try to defuse the entire situation, approaching Roethlisberger immediately. “Terry wanted to talk to me,” Roethlisberger said. “He pulled me aside.”

Inside Locker Room C they went. It was set up for an interview but in order to clear the air, Bradshaw cleared the place out. Cameramen, sound technicians, producers and everyone else was told to leave. Fox producer Scott Ackerson had come up with the idea that if Roethlisberger was willing to speak to Bradshaw at all, they should first do it alone, man-to-man, eye-to-eye, Steeler-to-Steeler. If peace could be reached, then they’d turn on the cameras.

“Take everyone else out of the room, let the two of us sit down and have a talk,” Bradshaw said. “And if you want to get it off your chest, get it off.”

They went back and forth for a few minutes, Bradshaw said. The bad blood had dated back to Bradshaw criticizing Roethlisberger for getting in a 2006 motorcycle accident. Some in the Roethlisberger camp believed Bradshaw was unduly harsh on Roethlisberger because he feared his record of four Super Bowl championships was in jeopardy.

Then came that drunken night in Georgia that left Bradshaw convinced he was right all along.

Roethlisberger didn’t provide any new facts about the case, according to Bradshaw. They both aired their various points of view. Roethlisberger was seeking fairness, perspective and understanding. He was asking for a second chance. He kept addressing his elder as “Sir” and “Mr. Bradshaw.”

Bradshaw, meanwhile, wanted Roethlisberger to know he wasn’t jealous and he wanted him to break all his records. He then defended his role as tell-it-like-it-is television analyst.

“I did say to him, that for my comments, if I feel it’s necessary to say I’m sorry, ‘I’m sorry,’ ” Bradshaw said. “But basically I’m just doing my job. I don’t want to hurt anybody. I’m just in an unfortunate business where if you ask me a question I have to answer it honestly and if I don’t answer it truthfully then I’m not respected.”

According to Bradshaw, Roethlisberger was both humble about his failures and hopeful about his future. There are many people who don’t believe the sincerity of either of those things and, at one point, Bradshaw was probably the chief among them. Somewhere in that converted locker room, he changed his mind.

“Of course people say, ‘Oh, it’s not real,’” Bradshaw said. “I think it’s totally real.”

Time will tell, which is what Roethlisberger says he understands. “Just keep plugging away,” he said of proving himself to the public. Stay out of trouble and do the right thing and perhaps, one day, the focus on him won’t be about the mistakes he’s made. It’s up to the people though. He isn’t owed forgiveness.

If fans seek signs of progress, of maturity, then maybe this is a small one. Last summer Ben Roethlisberger wouldn’t shake Terry Bradshaw’s hand, too much anger getting in the way of reconciliation. Tuesday, the two Steelers legends ended their discussion with a hug.

“We just both came to the conclusion that we’re Steelers, we’re part of that family,” Bradshaw said. “And I encouraged him that yesterday is yesterday and that I have his back and I support him 100 percent.

“But if he screws up again … I’ll do it again.”

SteelDad
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Great stuff Scorp! TB is a polarizing figure even with Steelers' fans so people are going think and say as they choose. IMO, this was a good and needed thing. It's these types of things that make the Steeler Nation and the family of players past and present unique. I applaud both men for at the very least, taking a step in the right direction.

Rampage
02-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Reconciliation between these two would mean a lot for the team and Roethlisberger. Hopefully they can get over the turbulent past.

TheExiled
02-02-2011, 06:53 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/king-clarifies-goodell-remarks-on-roethlisberger/

After trashing Ben this week in his now infamous article, Peter King was forced to issue this retraction today where he admits he got the story completely wrong. Who can imagine the hurt Ben has suffered this week because of this. How can this happen? To you Big Ben, keep your chin up. Not everyone believes the garbage. Steeler Nation believes in you. Good Luck in the Super Bowl. Go Steelers!!:tt02::tt02:
Ben deserves an on air apology

Goodfrom55
02-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Like the old saying goes, "It's better to be silent and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I like Peter King's columns and his football insight, but he definitely pulled a Rex here (put a foot in his mouth).

TheExiled
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/01/king-clarifies-goodell-remarks-on-roethlisberger/

here's the update on how King got the story completely wrong. Ben deserves an on air apology.

steelerschick1220
02-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Poor Ben. Its like no one is ever gonna let him forget what he did and we are gonna be bringing this up every time we talk about the guy for the rest of his life. He made a mistake we all do and I really wish people would let him move on.