PDA

View Full Version : First terrible towel!

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Just got my first terrible towel! So what age did you get yours?

LarryNJ
01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
How old are you?

NHStlrfan
01-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Just got my first terrible towel! So what age did you get yours?

My guess is the one I got in '76 is older than most SA members. :yellowthumb: :tt02:

LarryNJ
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't remember my first "Official" one but I do remember my Mom giving me a yellow T-towel to go to the game with! :) I guess it's actually a Tea Towel. :)

SteelerDave74
01-28-2011, 03:17 PM
26 is when I got my first Terrible Towel (Black). My boss from an old job gave me his and it was from the 2002 Playoffs in Pittsburgh between Cleveland and us. The big Tommy Maddox comeback.

Super Bowl XL, Steelerlyn went to the game in Detroit and sent a Terrible Towel to me (Gold), I have hung them on the wall since. It was a precious gift to me. I will never forget Lyn for that. Thanks.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't remember the year I got my first towel, but I do still have it. I do remember it was when I was a kid and my parents too me to TRS to see the Steelers take on the Patriots.

Scorp
01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
My guess is the one I got in '76 is older than most SA members. :yellowthumb: :tt02:

Scorp was just born...giving the nurses lap dances. :banana:

Sir Blitzelot
01-28-2011, 04:47 PM
i got my first towel in 1997. I was nine or ten at the time. I still have it, and use it for every big game. :tt02:

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
How old are you?

I'm 16

Scorp
01-28-2011, 05:10 PM
OK :banana: jokes aside. I got mine in 2008. Way too late.

Clevelandsux
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
It was during the 1995 season. I was 24 or 25. They weren't a hot commodity here in ohio. But they started selling them here during the playoffs after the Clowns left town. Now I have a million of them. lol

steelersbabex25
01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
I think I got mine when I was 12.

Scorp
01-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Just bought 2 more. SB XL & XLIII with scores.

airbrake 1
01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
9 years old in 1978 during the run to super bowl 13, i don't know what ever happened to that towel..it was an original 1970's edition from gimbel's department store all it said on it was "THE TERRIBLE TOWEL"...nevertheless i got another original 1970's edition from a guy i know 2 years ago, he sold it to me for $50.00 ..i tried giving him $100.00 and he handed me $50.00 back...i talked to some pittsburgh memoribilia people and the tell me when they are able to find the 1970's era towel they usually go for $300.00- $500.00 each...what a bargain to replace the one i lost in childhood...go steelers i want to buy some new super bowl 45 champion edition towels:tt02:

Scorp
01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Hopefully we all get to buy the super bowl XLV champions edition towel

MattyVfromCT
01-29-2011, 06:54 AM
i got my first in 2004 or 2005, whenever i got my first credit card. i was 20 or 21 living here in ct there's nowhere to buy them at all and i didnt first get down to the burgh until 2006 so i ordered mine from the online shop. my first one was the steelers logo towel. it's the standard terrible towel but had 2 steeler logos, one on each side of the terrible towel writing.

i have

1 "logo" towel that i just described
1 hall of fame towel
1 myron cope memorial towel
2 75th anniversary
1 super bowl 43 champs
1 super bowl 40 champs
1 super bowl 40 pre game
1 6 time champs (standard)
1 6 time champs (beach towel)
1 reverse (black)

plan on getting a whole lot more, especially rare and out of production versions i can find on ebay

jackhammer1
01-29-2011, 11:39 AM
I still have a pair of Terrible Underware that I made in 1976 for the Super Bowl. When we scored the first touchdown I mooned the whole party with my TERRIBLE UNDERWARE! The look on everybodies faces was priceless. I can't wear them anymore, well maybe on one leg.

Scorp
01-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Just bought my first 2 black terrible towels. Yes, this early in the morning.

jnes1216
01-30-2011, 03:16 AM
I still have a pair of Terrible Underware that I made in 1976 for the Super Bowl. When we scored the first touchdown I mooned the whole party with my TERRIBLE UNDERWARE! The look on everybodies faces was priceless. I can't wear them anymore, well maybe on one leg.

I was five years old then so my hat's off to you, but I don't care if that towel will only fit around your ankle, you keep wearing it. That fan base is what keeps the Steelers strong.
Editor's note: if above the age of 45 keep the mooning to private parties.

SteelerDave74
01-30-2011, 08:11 AM
I heard on the Pittsburgh News Channel, some hospital is wrapping newborns in Terrible Towels in tribute to the Steelers going back to the Super Bowl. That is a sweetttttttttttttt idea.

Scorp
01-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Just bought my first 6x champions terrible towel. So i'm up to 8 now.

--- Added 1/31/2011 at 05:01 AM ---

I heard on the Pittsburgh News Channel, some hospital is wrapping newborns in Terrible Towels in tribute to the Steelers going back to the Super Bowl. That is a sweetttttttttttttt idea.

Pittsburgh-area hospital wrapping babies in Terrible Towels
By Chris Chase

A hospital outside of Pittsburgh makes sure babies learn a Steelers tradition pretty quickly.

They start 'em young up in Pittsburgh.

A hospital in Mt. Lebanon, Pa. is wrapping each newborn in a Terrible Towel as part of a celebration of the Steelers playing in Super Bowl XLV.

St. Clair Hospital started the tradition when the Steelers last made it to the Super Bowl in 2008 and decided to continue this year. "They're born Steelers fans here in Pittsburgh," said Sharon Johnson, a clinical supervisor at the hospital.

It's a cute idea and I'm sure all those Terrible Towels will be hanging proudly in those family's houses for years to come.

Can people opt out of this though? Surely there's some family in Pittsburgh that either doesn't care about football, doesn't like the Steelers or doesn't want their newborn child blinded by the bright yellow color of that towel. And aren't babies supposed to be wrapped in soft material? The Terrible Towels are as gentle as washcloths at a Holiday Inn.

No matter. It's the team spirit that counts, as evidenced by four quotes from the piece:

-- "She can choose her religion, but she can't choose what team she likes." -- Justin Eitel, father of a newborn daughter

-- "It's pretty awesome. I got a new baby and a new Terrible Towel. Couldn't ask for anything more." -- Joe Laffey, father of a newborn daughter

-- "I kept telling [my girlfriend] during the AFC Championship game, ‘Don't let your water break!' -- Laffey, again

-- "She worked hard and got it done, just like the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a special time. You feel like you're a part of it." -- Dr. Paul Zubritzky, obstetrician at St. Clair, on a mother who wanted her son to be part of the celebration. It's not clear whether Dr. Zubritzky was talking about the birth or the football game.

Somewhat disappointingly, it appears that none of the newborns were named after anyone associated with the Steelers, past or present. I don't know why not. Franco, Myron and Mean Joe make for lovely names.

www.yahoo.com