PDA

View Full Version : where is all this love for the packers coming from?

xxxsteelernation
01-26-2011, 11:05 PM
I just saw a poll on espn and asked which quarterback would rather have in the super bowl. and like 60% said they would rather have aaron rodgers over ben. and the fact that the packers are a slight favorite of the the steelers.
now this is where it really confuses me . Ben already has 2 superbowl rings and has just led the team to a 3rd. This is aaron rodger first trip to the dance. wouldn't you want a QB that know's how to handle the hype of the super bowl and is a proven winner it those game over somone who has barley been to the conference finals up to this point.
Secondly steelers as we all know have had 6 super bowl titles and and 3 in the last 6 years so we have the experience factor, yet packers have including this game coming up the packers have played in only there fifth superbowl and only winning three in franchise history. two of the super bowl wins came back in the 60'sand their last super bowl win was in 97, i know if i was an odds maker i would take the team and the qb to win with a proven super bowl winner in the modern era other than a team that hasn't made it to a super bowl in over a decade.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2011, 11:32 PM
The Packers are the feel good story franchise that hasn't won a super bowl since Favre was there. The good ole Packers, Aaron Rodgers waiting behind Favre all those years. New kids on the block finally getting over the hump..blah blah blah :barf: people don't like seeing a perennial contender get to the super bowl because their team isn't it, we beat their team, or they just want to see somebody else win.

newsflash, the new kids on the block and all that crap means nothing. The team that will win is the one that earns it. Fans of sports are so fickle it's ridiculous. Plus many of the ones that want to see the Packers are probably just Steeler haters anyways.

igor0190
01-27-2011, 12:12 AM
The average fan who doesn't have a favorite team out of the Packers/Steelers... will 9 times out of 10 pick the Packers just because the Steelers have been so successful.

Kind of like other years. Last year Saints/Colts, few before that Giants/Pats. Most who didn't care about either rooted for the Saints and Giants.

steelchamp204
01-27-2011, 12:31 AM
One word=Jealous. Also With Bens off the field issues is the other reason. And because Ben isnt a pretty pocket passe. The list goes on and on. i THINK it was rodger first full season and ppl were saying how much better he is than Ben, Rivers, Brees.

Scorp
01-27-2011, 12:46 AM
So Rodgers is elite now? Brother please. Don't feed me any of that smelly, crappy bull. Rodgers won his last 4 or 5 games in the regular season and got to the super bowl. Wow. I just sprayed my shorts. He still hasn't done nothing for me to applaud him. And Ben still doesn't get the recognish he deserves. F--k ya'll idiots who don't know your arse from a hole in your back yard. Win some titles Aaron, then i just might think of you.

Heinzie
01-27-2011, 12:59 AM
I believe its about all the hype about Rodgers.

Scorp
01-27-2011, 01:01 AM
I pissed all the love for him in the toilet and flushed it right down.

Real Deal Steel
01-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Rodgers has ascended to top five in the league. I"d take him over Manning because unlike Manning, Rodgers can run and doesn't throw the ill timed interception.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-27-2011, 01:43 AM
Its no shock why the Packers are so loved.......

1. Big Ben is a rapist.......Some NFL fans formed their opinions and won't change their minds......

2. James Harrison is the evil QB killer......Most NFL fans thinks Harrison plays dirty or takes HGH/Roids.....I hear this **** from p#ssy Colts fans all the time.......

3. The Steelers D in general is viewed as dirty by most other NFL fans since most other fans are casual or fantasy football type fans....Just want to see shoot outs with no defense.....

4. The Steelers have 6 Lombardis.........

5. Some NFL fans just hate Steelers fans......Colts fans that I deal with always call us the most classless fan base........

Steel Trap86
01-27-2011, 02:22 AM

1. Big Ben is a rapist.......Some NFL fans formed their opinions and won't change their minds......

2. James Harrison is the evil QB killer......Most NFL fans thinks Harrison plays dirty or takes HGH/Roids.....I hear this **** from p#ssy Colts fans all the time.......

3. The Steelers D in general is viewed as dirty by most other NFL fans since most other fans are casual or fantasy football type fans....Just want to see shoot outs with no defense.....

5. Some NFL fans just hate Steelers fans......Colts fans that I deal with always call us the most classless fan base........

It's no shock the Steelers are underdogs either. A lot of people are gonna take Green Bay regardless of who is favored. So if GB was the underdog and they won, vegas would owe a **** load of money. Since they have a legitimate chance at beating the Steelers, the oddsmakers made them slight favorites. And some people keep forgetting we have a QB that has been accused of rape twice while James Harrison is having the most ferocious year of his career.

Not everybody likes the Steelers

steelchamp204
01-27-2011, 02:24 AM
So Rodgers is elite now? Brother please. Don't feed me any of that smelly, crappy bull. Rodgers won his last 4 or 5 games in the regular season and got to the super bowl. Wow. I just sprayed my shorts. He still hasn't done nothing for me to applaud him. And Ben still doesn't get the recognish he deserves. F--k ya'll idiots who don't know your arse from a hole in your back yard. Win some titles Aaron, then i just might think of you.

Sorry Didnt mean to screw my saying up lol. I meant the first full season rodgers played, Critics were already saying how much better he was than Ben. I didnt say that. I re-read what I wrote but I defdidnt mean it that way. Sorry. I dont think he is elite. Man, I gotta start dbl checking my posts.

Dean Denton
01-27-2011, 02:37 AM

Your right man, the Steelers are viewed as the bad guys in this one. Ben, Harrison and the boys are all just too rough. They play hard and play honest. The Packers are the feel good story, and too bad for them because the Steelers are going to blast them too....

steelchamp204
01-27-2011, 02:41 AM
Your right man, the Steelers are viewed as the bad guys in this one. Ben, Harrison and the boys are all just too rough. They play hard and play honest. The Packers are the feel good story, and too bad for them because the Steelers are going to blast them too....

Plus other teams like the pats,niners,cowboys dont want the steelers to start pulling away just a little bit farther away from them. Those team I just mentioned also have Huge fanbases.

MattyVfromCT
01-27-2011, 06:10 AM
In terms of people pulling for green bay it comes down to jealousy and hatred of the steelers. In terms of the packers being favored and so many people picking them to win it all stems from one game. After green bay destroyed the falcons everyone got this theory that green bays offense is "unstoppable". While rosters did have an amazing game, everyone seems to have forgotten that Atlanta's defense is middle of the road overall (16th) and bad against the pass (22nd). Green bay didn't look that great against a bears team that quite frankly wasn't very good. Rodgers did throw 3 td's against the eagles but they had one of the worst secondaries in terms of giving up td passes, ranked 29th. Again this belief that their offense is quote "unstoppable" stems from the atlanta game as well as flour struggles against teams spreading us out over the years. Now the pats have owned us but we have held our own against similar pass heavy teams. Indy and Seattle in 05, san diego and Arizona in 08, etc. Now while Arizona torched us in the 4th quarter we shut them down long enough so the game was close and we had a chance to win it at the end. Everyone is also talking about how good green bays defense is and it is a very good defense. However they have one major weakness and that is stopping the run. They ranked 18th allowing about 115 rush yards per.game at 4.7 per carry. We need to have a gameplan similar to what we did against san diego in the 08 divisional round and in the first half of the jets afccg. Run it down their throats and keep the ball out of rosters hand

SteelDad
01-27-2011, 08:13 AM
The Packers are the feel good story franchise that hasn't won a super bowl since Favre was there. The good ole Packers, Aaron Rodgers waiting behind Favre all those years. New kids on the block finally getting over the hump..blah blah blah :barf: people don't like seeing a perennial contender get to the super bowl because their team isn't it, we beat their team, or they just want to see somebody else win.

newsflash, the new kids on the block and all that crap means nothing. The team that will win is the one that earns it. Fans of sports are so fickle it's ridiculous. Plus many of the ones that want to see the Packers are probably just Steeler haters anyways.

Absolutely right! GB is a feel good story. This is a franchise in the greatest professional sport on the planet in a city with a population about the same size as the high school I teach in so 'average fan' just eats that kind of crap up.

The average fan who doesn't have a favorite team out of the Packers/Steelers... will 9 times out of 10 pick the Packers just because the Steelers have been so successful.

Kind of like other years. Last year Saints/Colts, few before that Giants/Pats. Most who didn't care about either rooted for the Saints and Giants.

I'll bet you I've had the following comment thrown out to me more than any other this week... "I'm rooting for the Packers because your Steelers win all the time." My response is usually, "STFU! You have no idea how many years we waited between XIV and XL and too damn bad if we 'win all the time.' Maybe it's because we're that damn good!"

Real Deal Steel
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Plus other teams like the pats,niners,cowboys dont want the steelers to start pulling away just a little bit farther away from them. Those team I just mentioned also have Huge fanbases.

DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING,.....WE HAVE A WINNER!

Everywhere I go, this has been the cry from Cowboy and 49ers fans. We will relagate those organazations to clearly be inferior to us if we secure the 7th ring.

Little do they know that not only are we going to get # 7, we are going back to back!!

franchise3
01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
"STFU! You have no idea how many years we waited between XIV and XL and too damn bad if we 'win all the time.' Maybe it's because we're that damn good!"

Surely they know how many years that is :lol:

StlersGuy
01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
http://hatethepackers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/****-on-packers-good.jpg

TampaSteelGirl
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM

So were the Cardinals....... :hehheh:

LarryNJ
01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Absolutely right! GB is a feel good story. This is a franchise in the greatest professional sport on the planet in a city with a population about the same size as the high school I teach in so 'average fan' just eats that kind of crap up.

I believe there will be more people at the Super Bowl (including outside tickets sold) than in the City of Green Bay. :lol:

I have no problem with the Packers, actually it's great to see 2 small markets going for it all. Unlike the mess that is called MLB that the small market teams have a very slim chance of ever winning a Championship.

xBlitzBurghx
01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
If the Bears had a better QB that could take advantage of turnovers, there is no way GB would be in the Super Bowl right now.

SteelDad
01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Surely they know how many years that is :lol:

Ya, I thought about that the second I hit the 'submit' button, but what the hell huh?:duh:

I believe there will be more people at the Super Bowl (including outside tickets sold) than in the City of Green Bay. :lol:

I have no problem with the Packers, actually it's great to see 2 small markets going for it all. Unlike the mess that is called MLB that the small market teams have a very slim
chance of ever winning a Championship.

I agree. MLB talks about it's parity in the playoffs all the time yet teams like the Pirates, Brewers, and Royals continue to struggle in the shadows of hypocrisy.

Scorp
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry Didnt mean to screw my saying up lol. I meant the first full season rodgers played, Critics were already saying how much better he was than Ben. I didnt say that. I re-read what I wrote but I defdidnt mean it that way. Sorry. I dont think he is elite. Man, I gotta start dbl checking my posts.

I'm not upset with you Bro. I heard on nfl network he was elite and should be thrown in the talks with Tom Scaby, Manning, and Brees. BS. :stirpot:

Moondog
01-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Hell, it's human nature, I remember rooting for the Pack to win against the Pats in Favre's first Superbowl, when they played the Broncos the following year, I was for the Broncos. When the Broncos played the Falcons the year after that, I was for the Falcons. I even rooted for the Pats against the Rams. The point being is that people want to see some one new win the bowl unless of course it's their team that's been there before.
I'll give Rodgers his due, he will present a challenge for the Steelers but it's nothing they can't handle as long as they are on point.

Farrior Fan
01-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I do think Rodgers is going to present huge challenges for us. He usually gets the ball away before pressure can get to him or he just scrambles away which he does very well. Of course he has not seen pressure like we are going to bring, and if Troy is 95% or better then the fact that he has to worry about picks will be a major concern for him. Their new found running game will be all but shut down and it all comes down to whether GB can find a way to score 24 or more points. If they do I bet they win, if not we win.

Lets really stick it to Goodell by winning 6-0

Rampage
01-27-2011, 02:23 PM
The Packers are hot right now and nobody outside of Pittsburgh wants to see the Steelers win. Green Bay can be the Cinderella story. One thing I have to say is that I am happy about the break. Green Bay might cool down and the Steelers might get Pouncey back.

Real Deal Steel
01-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Your right Rampage. This two week break is good for us because of the injury issues. But I like the fact that Rodgers has a chance to cool off because I respect the hell out of him. He does so many things well that a cool off maybe just the type of little edge we need for that offense to be just a tick out of sync.

LatrobePA
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
It's a good story that's why, all the players they've had on IR, 6th seed etc etc...

I don't mind!!

Clevelandsux
01-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I respect the Packers history and there fanbase. Much like ours. However, this is not a lovefest for me. They are the enemy and I want to kick there asses. It would be much easier to hate the Cowboys I'm sure.

They do have alot of bandwagon fans too. I remember when the Browns left Cleveland in 1995 alot of them became "packer fans".

I think we should be the favorites. We had a better record than them, they were the 6th seed and a wildcard team. Plus we've won 2 super bowl in the past five years. We are not playing the 96 packers with Brett Favre and Holmgren. We play in the AFC which is a much stronger conference.

I saw the NFC Championship, I wasn't that impressed.

That being said, just keep disrespecting us. We'll show you.

Real Deal Steel
01-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I respect the Packers too. But I want to beat them badly.

xxxsteelernation
01-27-2011, 08:24 PM

I have no problem with the Packers, actually it's great to see 2 small markets going for it all. Unlike the mess that is called MLB that the small market teams have a very slim chance of ever winning a Championship.

interesting you said smallest markets. which is true but these two team have the 2 largest fanbases in the NFL. so even if its a smaller market as in city wise but between the steelers and the packers, im not sure if the largest nfl stadium is large enough to hold the fanbases for this game. we might need to take the game to north korea..and play in there 150,000 seat stadium...lol

--- Added 1/27/2011 at 07:24 PM ---

i would like just the steelers to have the respect from other fanbases as i have for them. i mean when dallas was in the super bowl other than their win over us. i respected the hell outta them. would like the same common courtsey...lol. but i don't think that will ever happen. cause we can't play the patriots in the super bowl...then i think we would have the respect...lol

Clevelandsux
01-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't have respect, this is war!

DBR96A
01-27-2011, 09:58 PM
interesting you said smallest markets. which is true but these two team have the 2 largest fanbases in the NFL. so even if its a smaller market as in city wise but between the steelers and the packers, im not sure if the largest nfl stadium is large enough to hold the fanbases for this game. we might need to take the game to north korea..and play in there 150,000 seat stadium...lol

--- Added 1/27/2011 at 07:24 PM ---

i would like just the steelers to have the respect from other fanbases as i have for them. i mean when dallas was in the super bowl other than their win over us. i respected the hell outta them. would like the same common courtsey...lol. but i don't think that will ever happen. cause we can't play the patriots in the super bowl...then i think we would have the respect...lol

NFL "Designated Market Areas" (DMAs) ranked by size

1. New York Giants/New York Jets
3. Chicago Bears
4. Philadelphia Eagles
5. Dallas Cowboys
6. San Francisco 49ers/Oakland Raiders
7. New England Patriots
8. Atlanta Falcons
9. Washington Redskins
10. Houston Texans
11. Detroit Lions
12. Arizona Cardinals
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
14. Seattle Seahawks
15. Minnesota Vikings
16. Miami Dolphins
17. Cleveland Browns
18. Denver Broncos
21. St. Louis Rams
23. Pittsburgh Steelers
24. Carolina Panthers
25. Indianapolis Colts
26. Baltimore Ravens
28. San Diego Chargers
29. Tennessee Titans
31. Kansas City Chiefs
34. Cincinnati Bengals
47. Jacksonville Jaguars
51. Buffalo Bills
53. New Orleans Saints
70. Green Bay Packers

Scorp
01-27-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't have respect, this is war!

It's not only war bro. It's a 5 * * * * * matchup cause the Steelers are in it. :cope:

Farrior Fan
01-27-2011, 10:12 PM
The Espn's of the world just cannot admit they were wrong ---> http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/week/1

Really? The deadskins and 49ers ranked above us? You would think they would learn.

Scorp
01-27-2011, 10:17 PM
The Espn's of the world just cannot admit they were wrong ---> http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/week/1

Really? The deadskins and 49ers ranked above us? You would think they would learn.

Who's feeding these guys this bs? C'mon man.

Farrior Fan
01-27-2011, 10:21 PM
We had a rough season last year but it was because we shot ourselves in the foot. Most writers just don't understand the heart of a champion and failed to factor that in. But the 9ers and Deadskins? They have sucked for years and there is zero chance that they will end up with more wins than us anytime soon.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-28-2011, 12:24 AM
The steelers have millions of fans. The press and news media and especially the sports news media is of the liberal mind set that runs this country today. Therefore, black and gold sinister looking over achieving Steelers bad, happy meal bland colored equally trained everybody should have a lombardi trophy teams good. Wait till the game is over for the luv. Every single Steelers fan loves the Steelers and that is more than any lib can handle. I'm talkin millions and millions from all over the world.

By the way, band wagon fans welcome aboard at this time. If your going to be at the Super Bowl in person the team will need you to make a lot of noise, cheer for the Steelers, wave the terrible towel and generally intimidate your Green Bay neighbor. If you gonna wear the colors there is a certain amount of responsibility that goes with the territory.

Steel Trap86
01-28-2011, 12:45 AM
first Superbowl with no cheerleaders lol

xxxsteelernation
01-28-2011, 01:35 AM

hey there is nothing wrong with us libs, i am very liberal and i still have loved my steelers since i was 5

Steel Trap86
01-28-2011, 03:42 AM
hey there is nothing wrong with us libs, i am very liberal and i still have loved my steelers since i was 5

huh? it was just a comment. Not interested in your political status man, no offense.

LarryNJ
01-28-2011, 06:45 AM
You all have me confused. Cheerleaders are like by both sides. Even if they won't be at the game. Only the Pinko Communist don't like them. :)

Here's another interesting stat for those of you under estimating the Packers. They have never trailed by more than 7 points all year. That is very impressive and shows that they were more consistent than their record indicates.

I still think Dick having 2 weeks to prepare,along with our experience. Will be the difference in the game.

steelersbabex25
01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Better question, did anyone really expect any different? The Steelers could be playing the least liked team in the AFC..not really sure who that would be, but everyone would still be rooting against the Steelers. It'll always happen. Always.

Woodson_DownUnder
01-28-2011, 09:46 PM

That's only gonna bum out the bandwagoners who only watch NFL come Super Bowl day...cheerleaders don't win Lombardi's so who cares what those nuff nuff pretentious fans think.. when the whole HT Janet Jackson/ Timberlake thing happened, the idiots in the 'sports media' made no reference to anything about the game... that's the 'weak & inept' coverage I had to put up with back then. Thank goodness it's improved TENFOLD... I no longer pay any attention to the local sports media who are too one dimensional anyway. Internet saves the day.

xxxsteelernation
01-28-2011, 11:04 PM
That's only gonna bum out the bandwagoners who only watch NFL come Super Bowl day...cheerleaders don't win Lombardi's so who cares what those nuff nuff pretentious fans think.. when the whole HT Janet Jackson/ Timberlake thing happened, the idiots in the 'sports media' made no reference to anything about the game... that's the 'weak & inept' coverage I had to put up with back then. Thank goodness it's improved TENFOLD... I no longer pay any attention to the local sports media who are too one dimensional anyway. Internet saves the day.

well could you honestly imagine cheerleaders in green bay or pittsburgh in sub zero temps would be great for the fans not so much for the cheerleader (well i mean guy fan)

Scorp
01-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Queerleaders are a waste of time. That's why every team has their fans. We are the real cheerleaders.

One thing is for sure. There is no love for the Packers around here.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-29-2011, 12:18 AM
I can't tell you Steeler nation how hard I tried to get the front office to send me and the girls to the big dance. But, they said no deal cause it might send the wrong message to our opponent. I personally think Roger had something to do with the decision. Go figure. So we will watch the game down at Charlies and cheer so fn loud for the Steelers that the roof will cave in. Go Steelers.

Sincerely,

Franklin and the Steelerettes(all 25 of us)

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9335/0008screennameimgsteele.jpg