PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we put teams away?

Clevelandsux
01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
This team about gave me a heart attack sunday. We totally dominated this game, there was no reason the Jets should have gotten back into it.

Speeed
01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
This team about gave me a heart attack sunday. We totally dominated this game, there was no reason the Jets should have gotten back into it.

I am no expert, but here is my take:

The losing team comes out in the second half having, and needing, an exaggerated adjustment to offense and defense (the greater the difference, the more I am convinced this happens). The team with the lead, expects this, but they kinda' have to adjust on the fly, which is more difficult.

So, there you have it!

coldrolled
01-26-2011, 09:40 PM
I am no expert, but here is my take:

The losing team comes out in the second half having, and needing, an exaggerated adjustment to offense and defense (the greater the difference, the more I am convinced this happens). The team with the lead, expects this, but they kinda' have to adjust on the fly, which is more difficult.

So, there you have it!

Look at the games we played this year. we have many games that we dont score in at least 2 qtrs in each game... i blame arians....

Scorp
01-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Steelers finished the season with 4 losses. They're going to the Super Bowl Bro. Of course they can put teams away.

Clevelandsux
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
I just wish we would go for the jugiliar. And yes I think our offense went conservative in the second half. We have one more to go!!! Put the petal to the metal!!!

Scorp
01-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a feeling Steelers can easily put away the Packers. Would another blowout in the SB be ok? Or do you want to see a tight close game like their 2009 contest?

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2011, 11:22 PM
They were up 24-3. There was a natural let down on the first drive of the second half. But after that, it should be Tomlin yelling at Arians to stop calling such conservative plays and throw the ball down field.

greennick
01-27-2011, 05:11 AM
I think one of our main problems is when we are winning we seem to go to this stupid Prevent D crap and blitz less. All the Prevent D does is prevent us from putting teams away. We need to go all out crazy 100% of the time.

Scorp
01-27-2011, 02:03 PM
I think one of our main problems is when we are winning we seem to go to this stupid Prevent D crap and blitz less. All the Prevent D does is prevent us from putting teams away. We need to go all out crazy 100% of the time.

I'm with you 100%. Steelers have to take control and not look back. Don't let the packers get into the game or get into any type of rhythm.

chisteeler
01-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I watched on the NFL Network when they have players and coaches miked up, last years Super Bowl when Sean Payton was heard plain as day saying, "I want to put the gas pedal down." I just wish we would do the same thing! Go Steelers, beat Packers.

Scorp
01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
I watched on the NFL Network when they have players and coaches miked up, last years Super Bowl when Sean Payton was heard plain as day saying, "I want to put the gas pedal down." I just wish we would do the same thing! Go Steelers, beat Packers.

Since these Steelers have been there on 2 occasions, i think they wouldn't have to be told. They have that mindset already going into the game. :yellowthumb:

Rampage
01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Count your blessings guys. Look at that last drive when Roethlisberger hit Miller and then Brown to seal the deal. Remember that guy, what was his name, Cowher? Remember how tight in the *** he kept the play calling? If it were him, the Steelers would have run into the line three times and punted, leaving the Jets with a chance to get the game winner.

Yeah, crushing teams would be cool, but it is unlikely. Winning is the biggest thing, and the Steelers are pulling it off.

NHStlrfan
01-27-2011, 03:45 PM
The Steelers under Cowher were FAR too conservative at the end of halves. They do this less now. They have a tendancy, as do most teams for that matter, to do their best to run time as quickly off the clock as possible. As Rampage points out, when they needed it, this team called the plays and executed them to seal the deal. If Cowher had done that this would be title 9 or 10 they're going for. They do a much better job now but could be more aggressive to end the first half.

steelersbabex25
01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
2 words. Prevent defense.

SteelerDave74
01-28-2011, 07:42 PM
2 words. Prevent defense.

Exactly!!! Point taken about Arians, he is way too conservative, just like Cowher. I can't tell you how many times I've called for Arians' head the last few seasons. I just want us to spread the offense and go full blast. This offense is capable of 50+ points easily.

Woodson_DownUnder
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM

I was standing for much of the second half knowing too well that Prevent D was always the D LeBeau way. If the Steelers are serious in beating Rogers/ Packers. They really need to test his shoulder and anyone who paid any careful attention to the Bears game last week will notice Rogers had 5 short passes after getting hit/ stung by Peppers. No long passes. Luckily the Packers D got that game clinching TD otherwise it could of been a different result. Packers will never give up information that Rogers shoulder is tender.

I expect LeBeau to unleash his dogs to make Rogers very nervous and uncomfortable early. Troy Polamalu has every opportunity to take one back to the house if the Blitz forces Rogers to panic which after numerous hits will make him wonder if risking a concussion is worthwhile. Someone has to patrol Rogers out of the pocket.

Balaga has allowed over 11 sacks. Clearly the GANDY of the Packers. :yesnod:

pimplydan
01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Count your blessings guys. Look at that last drive when Roethlisberger hit Miller and then Brown to seal the deal. Remember that guy, what was his name, Cowher? Remember how tight in the *** he kept the play calling? If it were him, the Steelers would have run into the line three times and punted, leaving the Jets with a chance to get the game winner.

Yeah, crushing teams would be cool, but it is unlikely. Winning is the biggest thing, and the Steelers are pulling it off.

Your dam right , during the time out and the steelers with a 3rd down and 6yds to go . Tomlin told Arians to put them away . Arians has his plays down for every situation on his playboard . They came out and went into a shootgun empty backfield . 14yd pass to Brown game over .
Cowher would never have called that play !!!

Woodson_DownUnder
01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Exactly!!! Point taken about Arians, he is way too conservative, just like Cowher. I can't tell you how many times I've called for Arians' head the last few seasons. I just want us to spread the offense and go full blast. This offense is capable of 50+ points easily.

With Mendenhall running the ball down their throats and Big Ben using the play-action without errors, 30+ points is possible but 50+ pts is about the Packers D not showing up whatsoever.

Using Melwelde Moore on the occasion screen dump is something I anticipate. Arians has been good in most games this season, whether some of the play calls are audibles by Big Ben, is another story. Remember it was Big Ben who pledged to Tomlin in keeping BA.

pimplydan
01-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I really do believe that the team that can distrupt the QB more often will have a better shot at winning this game.
The thing is both these QB's are hard to distrupt .

Ben has been moving in and out of the pocket better than ever,and you know how hard he is to put down. He's been making plays with defenders hagging on to him . He can run when he sees open field.

Rodgers has a sling of an arm , he can get ride of the ball in a hurry.He also moves out of the pocket very well and can sling the ball on the run .He cannot withstand pressure and hits as well as Ben , but he can use his feet to run as good as Ben.

Which defense do you think can hurry and sack the QB more ?

coach
01-28-2011, 11:43 PM
In games where you have a big lead, the O needs to chew clock and the D needs to keep plays in front of them.

The losing team knows the winning team will run more and pass less to chew clock; they fill the box and running plays have less success.

When the losing team goes to the air, our D keeps plays in front of them. Look at the Jets drive that took all that time off the clock and eventually resulted in 0 points. Even if it had resulted in 7 points, it is better to give up 7 that way than it is to give up 7 quick (e.g. because Ike slipped).

The secondary needs to be vastly improved to expect better than that.

I would love to have a blowout game like when we beat Carolina, but the average win in the NFL is a one score game, usually by 3 points; sometimes by 7; sometimes by 4 and sometimes by 6. Those are the most probable score differentials. After that, the games can have score differentials that exceed 7 or fall below 3.

I don't think the Steleers can be considered that much better than the rest of the league right now to expect a score differential more than 7 given the O line probs we have had and the secondary we have.

This is why we all have a stock of Prozac at hand during the Steelers game and have had for years. It happems all the time. We, like most teams, do just enough to win or lose a game. In our case, though, I bet we cut it even closer than other teams.

Solution: Chase that Prozac with a scotch.....or two. Works for me.

greennick
01-29-2011, 12:14 AM
With Mendenhall running the ball down their throats and Big Ben using the play-action without errors, 30+ points is possible but 50+ pts is about the Packers D not showing up whatsoever.

Using Melwelde Moore on the occasion screen dump is something I anticipate. Arians has been good in most games this season, whether some of the play calls are audibles by Big Ben, is another story. Remember it was Big Ben who pledged to Tomlin in keeping BA.

BB knows that Arians will do his bidding. I guess he feels it is always better the devil you know. I really do wonder how much is Arians and how much is BB. For example, we know that the one to Brown against the Ravens was BB calling it. That play pretty much won us the game.

Maybe our play calling this year actually better because BB has more impetus to score as he desperately wants to win to put the icing on his redemption story. Hopefully some of his balls out play calling rubs off on Arians.

Scorp
01-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Good post ^

Heinzie
01-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I'll take a W any which way we can get it as long as that gets us to the Super Bowl.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-29-2011, 06:42 PM
It is not necessary. Although it would make life a little less nerve wracking. It is what it is. Unless the packings fall apart this super bowl will be a real nail biter. Have enough beer ready for this one.

NorCalSteel
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Steelers this playoff season can't put together 2 good halves of Football. Every playoff game this year has been like this. I cant understand why this team just can't play a entire 60 min of championship football. Is it the coaching ,is it the team leaders? Steelers played well enough for 30 min to win the superbowl. Very discouraging but I will be right there routing next year. :helmet:

steelersbabex25
02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Because if they play bad in the first half it takes an *** whooping in the locker room to get them back in gear and if they play well in the first half they think they don't need to play in the second half.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I put a lot of it on the coaching staff. When your players come out flat and then the offense just goes on three and out drives, it is hard to gain any momentum. They should have been fired up to play and only a shell of this team showed up.

SteelDad
02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
If there were two things that seemed to hang over us all season, it was the inability to play 60 minutes and the inability to stop a talented passer. Playing 60 minutes of football is a Pittsburgh tradition and needs to be addressed.