PDA

View Full Version : Is Mendenhall on the verge of elite?

NHStlrfan
01-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Today on the Tunch and Wolf show a topic of discussion was in regards to Rashard Mendenhall becoming an elite back in the NFL. He finished the season at number 7 in the regular season. His average per carry is 3.9. All those 1-6 are above 4. His trend is better weekly. Where does the SA community see Mendenhall at this point in his carreer?

IMO: with the current O line, assuming those injured will return at least at the level of play prior to injury and the addition of talent like Pouncey's younger brother, he certainly has the potential to take the next step. Of course this does assume the addition of one quality interior lineman.

coldrolled
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
If BA leaves he will be.

steelersbabex25
01-26-2011, 03:02 PM
He's impressive, but I haven't seen him run the way he did on Sunday in a while. If he keeps that up for the rest of his career he'll definitely be on his way to being an elite back.

jpele
01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
With our oline it's hard to really rate him, against the Jets he ran like an elite back.

One thing for sure he needs to stop humping Ben. :grin1:

steelchamp204
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Hes a very good back but not elite yet. If he has two more season like he did this season then I will put him in that category. Plus I like how hes bens checkdown guy and there throwing to him alot more than years past. Makes him that much more dangerous for opposing defenses.

K Train
01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
too inconstant. playing out of his mind right now but can play like a pussy sometimes. hes really brings his game against the ravens and jets though, something willie parker never did

HUNT4SEVEN
01-26-2011, 03:45 PM
If he gets a FB he will be IMO, what radio station does tunch and wolf com on? or is it t.v.?

NHStlrfan
01-26-2011, 03:47 PM
If he gets a FB he will be IMO, what radio station does tunch and wolf com on? or is it t.v.?

www.970espn.com.

LatrobePA
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
too inconstant. playing out of his mind right now but can play like a pussy sometimes. hes really brings his game against the ravens and jets though, something willie parker never did

what he said...

CoachC
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes he is, the kid's a beast!

Goodfrom55
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
I believe Mendenhall is on the cusp of greatness, but to be an Elite RB, he must be a dual threat; someone who is a threat as a receiver and a running back. He's put up good numbers behind a less than average O-Line, and has nose for the endzone. A pussy? For running out of bounds instead of delivering a blow? I call that smart unless he cuts back and stands to gain another 40 yards in the process. But for another 5 yards or so (unless it is for a first down), I call it smart football. These guys get hit enough.

Mendy is also very good at picking up the blitz.

steeldoc
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
You guys are great! I agree with everything, sometimes a pussy, no fullback, held back by BA, I thought he was another Worley his first season. Tomlin I believe is responsible for his growth. He needs to do this some more before he's an elite back. As of now, Barry Foster, Bus are better.

harpo
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
My gripe with him is that he doesn't square his shoulders, run low and hit the hole(s) like he should and he doesn't carry the ball tight against his body. When he runs, notice how his right arm swings back and forth, exposing the ball. He needs to change that because he's likely to get stripped by "ballhawkers". He used to spin a helluva lot....but he seemed to have toned it down a bit.

If he correct those flaws, he can be as good as anyone in the league.

LatrobePA
01-26-2011, 09:02 PM
I just want to see him run some second level wannabe tacklers over some more!!

Clevelandsux
01-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Mendenhall has shown flashes of greatness. BUt he does dance and doesn't hit the hole as fast as we'd like sometimes. Also has had issues with fumbles.He looked great in the Jets game, visions of Franco I had.

Scorp
01-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Mendenhall is sure going to show his teammates and the fans his quality. He knows what he has to do and he will hear the words to get the fire going for the game. Expect great things from him February 6.

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Continuing to upgrade the O-line will allow Mendy to take the next step. But he'd better watch out because I'm telling you that Dwyer could take his job.

igor0190
01-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Mendenhall is talented as any....
Knocks on him not squaring his shoulders, not bulldozing guys, spinning too much, and pumping his arms like a sprinter with the ball in his hand are all founded.

However... He is quick and elusive, only pumps his arms like a sprinter when he turns the corner :yellowthumb:, and is still better than average with ball security.

He's not the Bus... It's not his game. But Rashard is great at what he does, and we have Redman as a backup who can and will square his shoulders and truck people.

harpo
01-27-2011, 04:21 PM
However... He is quick and elusive, only pumps his arms like a sprinter when he turns the corner :yellowthumb:, and is still better than average with ball security.

That's not true. I've noticed him sometimes 'pumping his arms' and exposing the ball while running up the middle while making contact. That's why he fumbled in the Ravens' game because his arm collided with Spaeth (if i'm not mistaken). If that ball had been clenched to his chest and held high, or if he'd had both arms protecting the ball, I don't think he would've fumbled.

NHStlrfan
01-27-2011, 04:33 PM
That's not true. I've noticed him sometimes 'pumping his arms' and exposing the ball while running up the middle while making contact. That's why he fumbled in the Ravens' game because his arm collided with Spaeth (if i'm not mistaken). If that ball had been clenched to his chest and held high, or if he'd had both arms protecting the ball, I don't think he would've fumbled.

Some thruth here on both. He does at times hold it out there even in traffic but this isn't all the time. He's got the tools and he's on the right team. He needs to refine a few things then we can start talking about him as elite.

FYI: That was big Juicy's butt that knocked the ball out. ;)

harpo
01-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Some thruth here on both. He does at times hold it out there even in traffic but this isn't all the time. He's got the tools and he's on the right team. He needs to refine a few things then we can start talking about him as elite.

FYI: That was big Juicy's butt that knocked the ball out. ;)

I did say "sometimes".....not all the time. :yellowthumb:

Farrior Fan
01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I think he was great this year, the Oline was terrible but he still did a really good job. The way he carries the ball away from his body drives me crazy but I would bet he averaged fewer fumbles than most fulltime rbs this year.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2011, 04:28 PM
I agree, considering the musical chairs that he played behind this year, his accomplishments are that much more impressive. I think if he has a good showing at the super bowl that would catapault him into elite status. He's got the perfect combination of power, speed, and quick feet to give you everything you want.

SteelerDave74
01-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I agree, considering the musical chairs that he played behind this year, his accomplishments are that much more impressive. I think if he has a good showing at the super bowl that would catapault him into elite status. He's got the perfect combination of power, speed, and quick feet to give you everything you want.

:yellowthumb::plus1:

StlersGuy
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I think he needs to have a few more years of sold game play before I can label him elite. He does the job but still has lots of work to do before I can even put him up there as an elite back.

*Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk Pro.

Rampage
01-28-2011, 05:12 PM
He had a very good year and was incredibly clutch in the AFC Championship game. If he has a good performance in the big game and the Steelers walk away with seven, then I think he'll start getting mentioned with more frequency as a top tier running back.

I also have to say that his future reputation may be impacted by the coming draft. If the Steelers get a solid o-lineman and don't get crushed with injuries along the line next year, he may have a shot at his best season yet.

Scorp
01-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I said yes.

steelersbabex25
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I think he was great this year, the Oline was terrible but he still did a really good job. The way he carries the ball away from his body drives me crazy but I would bet he averaged fewer fumbles than most fulltime rbs this year.

That's what it is. Think about what he's had to work with this year. Besides Kemo and Pouncey the rest of the guys playing on the offensive line right now would probably be sitting on the bench if it were any team but the Steelers. He's done a great job considering the non help that he has been getting.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
The word "great" or "elite" is thrown around a lot in the NFL. So many players are "great" because they won a big game, or "elite" because they had a good season. You definitely have to put together consistent performances year in and year out to really be considered great. The problem is, like I said everybody is so "great" or "elite" now in the NFL, it's watered down.

I do think though that Mendenhall is one of the better running backs in the league, especially considering how hard he has to work for every yard. If he can put up a good performance in the super bowl he will be mentioned up with the very best in the NFL today. Her performance in the playoffs was key to our success.

jnes1216
01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
The word "great" or "elite" is thrown around a lot in the NFL. So many players are "great" because they won a big game, or "elite" because they had a good season. You definitely have to put together consistent performances year in and year out to really be considered great. The problem is, like I said everybody is so "great" or "elite" now in the NFL, it's watered down.

I do think though that Mendenhall is one of the better running backs in the league, especially considering how hard he has to work for every yard. If he can put up a good performance in the super bowl he will be mentioned up with the very best in the NFL today. Her performance in the playoffs was key to our success.

:plus1:

DanRooney
01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
I'll pass on an elite back and keep a good one with an elite QB. Far and few between do you have a good offense with an elite back (MJD, CJ, Frank Gore, etc.)