PDA

View Full Version : Steelers expect Cowher to quit

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2006, 12:40 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06365/750272-66.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers management has compiled a list of head coaching candidates when, as they expect, Bill Cowher steps down after he concludes his 15th season on the job in Cincinnati today.

Although Mr. Cowher, 49, said last Tuesday that it would not be long before he makes an announcement clearing up his plans, no press conference is scheduled and none may occur this week in Pittsburgh, at least not with Mr. Cowher present.

Mr. Cowher plans to meet with his players at the team's UPMC complex on the South Side Tuesday and then leave for his new home in Raleigh, N.C., where his wife, Kaye, and youngest daughter, Lindsay, a high school sophomore, have lived most of the past year.

He has not informed his players or his coaching staff of his plans. Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and his son, team president Art Rooney II, have not commented on the situation.

The Rooneys would join Kevin Colbert, the director of football operations, in heading a coaching search, the team's first since 1992. At that time, the Steelers interviewed about a dozen candidates for the job, including current Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt, one of two finalists for the position that Mr. Cowher landed after longtime coach Chuck Noll retired.

Two members of Mr. Cowher's offensive staff are considered the prime candidates to take his place: Russ Grimm, the assistant head coach and line coach, and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. The Steelers also want to interview outside candidates, including University of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, an Upper St. Clair native. The NFL requires each team to interview a minority coach -- called the Rooney Rule because Dan Rooney proposed it -- and the Steelers will do that.

It looks like the writing is on the wall. If the Rooney's actually thought there was a good chance he was going to stay, then they wouldn't be so proactive in starting the search right now. They'd atleast wait till after the last game and then talk to him and try to change his mind.

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Money isn't the issue .... Cowher is burnt out .... you can see it in his eyes. He achieve his goal and now he wants to "check-out" for a few years and give some time back to his family .... time that he didn't have with them over the past 10 years.

Cowher takes 3 years off .... comes back and command no less than $8 mil per year as a HC .... he works another 5 years in the league building up that retirement nest egg and he rides off into the sunset.

AZ_Steeler
12-31-2006, 01:07 AM
Wow, so it really sounds like he is gonig to retire... hopefully if he does decide to comeback it will be for the Steelers :dunno:

I hate coaching changes....

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-31-2006, 03:18 AM
The writing was on the wall after the super bowl. This should come as a surprise to no one. You just look at this whole season and knew it was Bill's last. Even for those that hoped against hope. Thanks Bill for one for the thumb and everything else. Oh when you come back in a few seasons. No your not allowed to coach in the AFC. :lol:

DIESELMAN
12-31-2006, 05:40 AM
He has brought a lot to the Steelers and to Pittsburgh. Whatever he intends to do IMHO is fueled by his family. There was a rumor in the 2005 season that he was thinking about retiring one more shot brought the franchise another Lombardi. Personally I think hes going to take a couple of seasons off, come back with a lesser team and bring it up to respectability if not a championship. Good Luck Bill.....:helmet:

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 09:59 AM
This is going to be a sad day in Pittsburgh when it becomes the reality of the annoucement of the end of the Bill Cowher Era for the Steelers. This is going to sting me since I have grown so accustomed to Cowher. I just hope the Steelers find the right candidate for the job.

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Relax ... this is a good thing. Do you honestly want a coach that is half commited to the job?..... the Rooney's certainly don't!

The day Cowher actually thought about retirement is the day he actually packed his bags ....

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2006, 11:15 AM
It will most definately be a sad day; no matter how you feel about him. I know I'll definately grab a beer and toast the legacy of Bill Cowher and say once again, "Thank you for the one for the thumb" .

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 11:18 AM
AMEN!!! Matt, I am with you on that one. It won't ever feel the same on that sideline with out that spit flying, chin pointing, eye squinting, chest pulling Son of a Gun COWHER. Cowher Power will live forever in Pittsburgh.

Steelerlyn
12-31-2006, 11:25 AM
I felt the same way when Bettis was doing all the retirement talk. If you feel you need to ask people if you should retire, you should retire. But he did come back even with all the retirement talk and he helped win another trophy. If Bill is burned out, he should leave for the betterment of the team. All I can say is thanks for all the memories, I still am hanging onto the possibility that he will not leave and is not burned out, just something else?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2006, 11:29 AM
I was sad when Bettis retired, but I knew he was ready because he went out on top and finally got his ring in his hometown. With Cowher it's not so clear as to the reasons he's leaving for sure...burnt out? more time with family? money? satisfied with his career and ready to step away? problems with management?

If it were definately 100% clear as to the reasons, it would be easier to understand.

K Train
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
It looks like the writing is on the wall. If the Rooney's actually thought there was a good chance he was going to stay, then they wouldn't be so proactive in starting the search right now. They'd atleast wait till after the last game and then talk to him and try to change his mind.

why at least wait? that makes no sense, why hang yourself out like that, they have to keep their options open we dont want a scrub for a coach at the last second without having a few guys waiting for their chance.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2006, 08:02 PM
I agree you can't wait too long to make sure you secure the man you want. The Steelers head coaching job should be the most coveted one in all of sports. There is no other franchise that offers the full support of the front office and the stability available to it's Head Coach than the Steelers.

If they really felt BC was going to stay they would allow him his time to think but in their meeting tomorrow they would be making a HUGE push to keep him. Maybe it's about money, or family, or both...but whatever the reason, everybody everywhere honestly feels he's going to go. PLUS in his post game meeting today he got choked up when talking about his future and the fact that he's leaning in 1 direction but hasn't made up his mind yet. Besides, it's not like everybody is going to be hired right away in the first week of the season. They will have their chances to interview whoever they choose, you can be sure of that.