PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Towel exec is Packers fan

StlersGuy
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
MADISON, Wis. -- A Wisconsin towel maker is stuck smack-dab in the middle of the Green Bay Packers-Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl tilt.McArthur Towel and Sports, a WinCraft company, has been producing officially licensed sports towels for years, including the Steeler fans' beloved Terrible Towel, which the company began making in 1997. The hunk of yellow terrycloth has become Pittsburgh's battle flag and gets waved by fans at home and away games.

But company's president Gregg McArthur said he loves the Packers, and he's working on a Super Bowl towel for the green and gold, too.

McArthur said he's working on a new version of the "Titletown USA" towel, which the Baraboo-based company located about 135 miles southwest of Green Bay produced for the Packers' 1997 Super Bowl appearance. He hoped to have a design and a name approved by the end of the day Monday.

"I love our Packers," McArthur said. "We bleed green and gold in Baraboo. Right now we're working closely with the Packers to put together a product that will basically compete with the Terrible Towel. We've got a towel war going here between the Terrible Towel and the Packer towel."

The Packers defeated their archrival, the Chicago Bears, 21-14 on Sunday to advance to the Super Bowl on Feb. 6. The Steelers beat the New York Jets, 24-19, to advance to the championship game.

McArthur also will manufacture the so-called trophy towel, handed to members of the winning team on the field along with T-shirts and caps.

The company also makes products for NHL, NFL and NBA teams.

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=6055199)

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Is this it?

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5687/greenbay.gif

StlersGuy
01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Is this it?

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5687/greenbay.gif

:hilarious::plus1:

SteelCityKid5
01-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Wow the Pack are gonna copy the Terrible Towel... unreal.

airbrake 1
01-25-2011, 09:54 PM
wow, if the packers fans start waving yellow towels at the super bowl...it's really going to appear as if the whole stadium is filled with steeler fans...go ahead with this plan idiots...i can't really believe they are going to try this perhaps the main body of this packers towel will be green...oh well often imitated never replicated, there's only one original baby:tt02:

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
WOOOOOOW

Scorp
01-25-2011, 11:19 PM
They can only wish to be like Pittsburgh. Another follower. We'll see how many fakes will be spotted at the game.

SteelerCountry58
01-25-2011, 11:37 PM
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" or so it goes....:yesnod:
They already have those stupid cheeseheads,do they really need to
add to the ridiculous outfit with a ripped off towel idea?:nono:

StlersGuy
01-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I think they want a towel so when we beat them they will have something to wipe there eyes with. :cope:

Scorp
01-25-2011, 11:43 PM
I think they want a towel so when we beat them they will have something to wipe there eyes with. :cope:

They'll have their gold plated towels to use. Their faces will turn green.

steelchamp204
01-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Seriosuly this pisses me off and it should alot of steeler fans. First off, dont copy another teams tradition all of a sudden since your team made the superbowl. Come up with something different. Christ o might, the ****in ratbirds now wave them purple rags, now the packers are going to have these cheese towels. Think of another ****ing idea fudgepackers.

Dean Denton
01-26-2011, 12:49 AM
They should make it green so we can see what team as the biggest turn out. These are the two most popular teams and it will be too hard to tell who is cheering for who if they both have yellow. Stupid...

steelchamp204
01-26-2011, 12:55 AM
They should make it green so we can see what team as the biggest turn out. These are the two most popular teams and it will be too hard to tell who is cheering for who if they both have yellow. Stupid...

They should just stick with them ****ing cheeseheads.

steelersbabex25
01-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Come on, people. The Packers aren't the first team to copy off the Terrible Towel. I could probably name 30 other teams who have come up with some variation of a towel since it's become popular.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2011, 10:38 AM
When will people learn that you can't duplicate the terrible towel in any way, shape or form. Seriously, it's pitiful...

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-26-2011, 11:08 AM
When will people learn that you can't duplicate the terrible towel in any way, shape or form. Seriously, it's pitiful...

:bigtowel: there is only one baby and i got mine.

Root4Stlrs
01-26-2011, 11:29 AM
None of these towels have the same mojo as the Terrible Towel. It isn't just the towel - it's the whole tradition behind it and they can't rip that off. It is also a good omen that Renegade got it's mojo back the end of the season. Too bad can't be exported to Dallas.

Scorp
01-26-2011, 09:19 PM
http://http://i994.photobucket.com/albums/af67/wildscorpio76/greenbayTT.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Clevelandsux
01-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Aren't there copyright infringements involved here?

Scorp
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Aren't there copyright infringements involved here?

If any, we won't hear about it. I doubt it though. Buffalo Bills had one.

Rampage
01-27-2011, 02:28 PM
They can use them to dry their tears of sorrow after the game.

SouthCentral
01-27-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm certain that this article ( http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&page=hotread20/garber ) has already been posted on this site at some point (its 2 years old) but still worth a look now. Especially the part about the Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon pretending to blow his nose in the Terrible Towel and throwing it to the ground. I guess we all know how that turned out!! :6smile:

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

scpc
01-29-2011, 07:18 AM
Let's see Super Bowl XLIII Cardinals got the towel (remember the white thing with the red blot in the center) and at the end of the game you saw them on the floor, in the trash and any where else they could throw them.:clap: Last year the Colts came up with the Terrific Towel and look where that took them. So let Green Bay come up with the Touch Down Towel, it should work well for them :lol: There is only one Terible Towel and we wave them proudly:tt02::cope:

SteelerDave74
01-29-2011, 07:50 AM
The Curse of THE TERRIBLE TOWEL will haunt the Packers. Book it!!!

StlersGuy
01-29-2011, 09:08 PM
story (http://m.host.madison.com/mobile/business/article_518a4944-2b4d-11e0-a516-001cc4c002e0.html) check this out...

Steelerlyn
01-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Many have chosen to copy us but they have all lost to us, too. So, I say, "BRING IT ON"

scpc
01-29-2011, 10:13 PM
oops:banging:sorry I guess I made a mistake and thought it was touchdown towel and it is really Titletown Towel. :nono:But what ever it is, it's still not the Terrible towel:cope:

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-29-2011, 10:29 PM
It's not gonna be pretty when we win this thing. All them towels left on jerry's floor after the game. You think about it, all the homeless people that could have used them towels for cleaning up etc. Wow, what an ego.

StlersGuy
01-29-2011, 11:40 PM
A Baraboo company that made a Pittsburgh Steelers towel famous just came out with a commemorative Packers Titletown Towel in advance of Super Bowl XLV.
McArthur Towel & Sports has been a longtime producer of officially licensed sports towels, including the Steelers' "Terrible Towel," which the company began producing in 1997.
But the company's allegiance is to the Packers. "I bleed green and gold," said Gregg McArthur, president of McArthur Towel & Sports.
The company unveiled the design of the new towel Thursday. The Packers' logo and Titletown slogan are in the center with the Super Bowl date and location underneath.
The original Title Towel debuted in the fall of 1996 and followed the Packers to their Super Bowl XXXI Championship in 1997.
The Titletown Towel will be available at the Packer Pro Shop, Shopko and other retailers.
In addition to fan towels, the company manufactures the official Super Bowl trophy towel that will be distributed to the winning team's players and coaches during the on-field celebration.

:thinking: why are they making our towel... Time for a local PA company to take over

SteelerDave74
01-30-2011, 12:37 AM
:thinking: why are they making our towel... Time for a local PA company to take over

Been saying that for years. :yellowthumb::tt02:

jnes1216
01-30-2011, 02:06 AM
Geez can you blame them? Who would want to wear a block of cheese on their head like some monster prop from "Tom and Jerry." Pittsburgh steel has built America, Wisconsin cheese has built what? waistlines...

DBR96A
01-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Geez can you blame them? Who would want to wear a block of cheese on their head like some monster prop from "Tom and Jerry." Pittsburgh steel has built America, Wisconsin cheese has built what? waistlines...

Cheezeburgers. :yellowthumb:

scpc
01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Fried cheese sticks:banana:

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-30-2011, 10:28 AM
cheese whiz