PDA

View Full Version : Re-tooling the roster.....

DIESELMAN
12-30-2006, 03:50 AM
Heres another long one....oops.....:banana:

It's that time of year – once a team has been eliminated from the postseason the media dust off the trusty clichés. Usually teams are either "playing for pride" or "playing for their jobs next season." I never got the whole pride thing, but there's certainly some truth to playing for future job considerations.

With that in mind, here's an incomplete list of players who may not be around in 2007:

Unrestricted Free Agents
Rodney Bailey
Tyrone Carter
Sean Morey
Najeh Davenport
Mike Logan
Lee Mays
Barrett Brooks
Chidi Iwuoma
Chad Brown
Brian St. Pierre
Others
Jeff Hartings
Cedrick Wilson
Chris Gardocki
Travis Kirshke
Rodney Bailey
Verron Haynes
Jerame Tuman
That's a lot of bodies. Some, like Brooks, won't be missed. Others, like Iwuoma and even Morey, will be harder to replace should it come to that.
I think it's pretty obvious that Gardocki's Steelers career has run its course and if it takes a blocked punt to get him out of the league I'd let the Bengals' special teams know that Sunday could be a big day for them. I've already made my views known on the punting situation: Pittsburgh should use a fourth-rounder on the best college punter available. And before you say that a fourth-round pick is too high, just take a moment to think back on recent Steelers' selections: Danny Farmer, Mathias Nkwenti, Fred Gibson. I could go on, but I oppose torture. In the meantime, everybody learn how to correctly pronounce Daniel Sepulveda.

I'd like to think that Tyrone Carter will be back, but if the Steelers draft another defensive back, and Ricardo Colclough returns from his bout with depression after single-handedly losing the Bengals game neck injury, Carter could be the odd man out. This is assuming that Mike Logan is done in Pittsburgh. However many defensive backs end up making the team, their ability to play special teams should be a pretty high priority. This is a not-so-subtle way of saying keeping Chidi Iwuoma might be a good idea.

This line of reasoning supports bringing back Sean Morey, too. At this point, I think Morey is more valuable to Pittsburgh than Cedrick Wilson. I want to like Wilson, but he just hasn't done much in two seasons. This preseason, the talk was whether the Steelers would keep seven wideouts. They ended up keeping six and the loss of Quincy Morgan hurt the special teams more than the offense. Now that we know Morey is a really dangerous kick returner, I hope the team doesn't make the same mistake (stifles a giggle).

... In Tuesday's column, the Tribune-Review's Mike Prisuta made the following comment:

Roethlisberger and the Steelers came up short far too many times to take advantage of an open back door to the postseason. They'll recognize that eventually, if they haven't already. The lineup around Roethlisberger will be tweaked, as it always is from one season to the next.
Adding another big-play receiver, preferably a big one through the draft or free agency, wouldn't hurt. But the biggest change must come from Roethlisberger responding to having been figuratively and literally knocked down.

Maybe it was just a throwaway line or maybe he really meant it. Either way, if there's one thing the Steelers don't need it's "another big-play receiver." Or, more succinctly, it's not at the top of the off-season to-do list. Currently, the depth chart at wideout looks like this:
Hines Ward
Santonio Holmes
Nate Washington
Cedrick Wilson
Willie Reid
Sean Morey
Where's the room for another big-play receiver? I love the idea of a healthy Ward and Holmes playing together, as well as Washington, with a full season behind him, as the No. 3. If Wilson hangs around in 2007, he should be used in the Terance Mathis/Chris Doering/Antwaan Randle El trick play role. Reid will basically be a rookie ... again, but hopefully he can manage to make the game-day roster and, if nothing else, return punts.
Given all of Pittsburgh's other needs, I'd take a pass on drafting a wide receiver. Even Calvin Johnson. That said, I agree when Prisuta writes that "...the lineup around Roethlisberger will be tweaked..." and in Wednesday's column he goes into a little more detail:

If 2006 is viewed as an aberration, the organizational response figures to be more of a tweak than a shakeup. That's a conclusion that lost some credibility when the Steelers got pummeled for a second consecutive time by the new heavyweight in the AFC North Division, the Baltimore Ravens.
Still, it's an argument that might be viewed as viable, given the circumstances of Ben Roethlisberger's offseason and preseason and all those turnovers.

And whether a tweak or a shakeup is needed will be the most discussed topic of the off-season after Bill Cowher let's us know what his future plans include. I'm on record as saying Pittsburgh doesn't need a complete overhaul but some people don't see it that way. I understand the argument, but when you go whole hog on rebuilding, you're basically saying, "alright, it's going to take two or three years to get this thing like we want it, but it's a sacrifice worth making in the long run." I don't think the Steelers are in such a situation and to start making extensive changes seems a little premature.
Luckily, I don't have to make that decision and the Rooney's have a pretty good personnel track record. I loved this bit from Prisuta's latest:

In 1969 they hired Chuck Noll, then a defensive coach with Baltimore (there were no such things as coordinators at the time).
In 1992 they turned to Cowher, then the defensive coordinator in Kansas City. The two first-time head coaches combined to win five Super Bowls and last a combined 37 seasons, giving credence to the theory that being able to identify a rising star in the profession can pay huge dividends.

Also interviewed, among others, as the search for Noll's successor played out were John Fox (then Noll's defensive backfield coach), Dennis Green, Mike Holmgren and Dave Wannstedt.

The Steelers knew what they were doing, as far as identifying rising stars in the industry.

In retrospect, it's pretty amazing to think Cowher got the job over Fox, Green, Holmgren and Wannstedt. I understand that all four coaches were unproven at the time, but what did the Rooneys see in Cowher that made him the favorite? I wonder how things would've worked out if one of the other guys got the job. The best belated Christmas present I can think of is never having to pull for a Mike Holmgren-coached Steelers team. Small mercies, I guess.
Whatever happens next week, it's reassuring to know that unlike a lot of franchises, the Rooneys know what they're doing. And even if they don't, they're very, very lucky.

... Finally, I wanted to point out this Ed Bouchette article from Thursday's Post-Gazette. It's basically 300 words that could be summed up in one sentence: linebacker James Farrior leads the team in tackles with 145, the most by any Steelers' player since Jack Lambert had 159 in 1983. It's not a bad piece, per se, but it could be a hell of a lot better. I can learn who leads the league in tackles by going to NFL.com.

The question Bouchette should be answering -- or at least asking -- is why is Farrior leading the team in tackles? Is he more mobile than in previous seasons? Are the defensive linemen doing a better job of occupying blockers in front of him? Is he missing more tackles than in previous seasons? Where, in relation to the line of scrimmage, is he making these tackles?

This is the kind of information that interests fans. I don't yet have the data for 2006, but here's what I wrote last off-season about Farrior:

Farrior certainly didn't have a bad year [in 2005], it was just a departure from 2004. According to the game-charting data, on passing plays, Farrior made his average stop 6.4 yards past the line of scrimmage, good for 72nd in the league among linebackers. (Note: passing plays also include sacks). On running plays, Farrior made his average stop 2.4 yards past the line of scrimmage, which ranked 12th.
I'm not saying Bouchette should have access to these numbers but he has something a lot more valuable: access to the coaches who watch the film and see these guys every day for nine months a year. Ask Dick LeBeau or Keith Butler why Farrior's numbers are up this season. To just write that Farrior leads the team in tackles tells only half the story -- the half that isn't interests nobody.
Come on, throw me a bone.

By Ryan Wilson
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Dec 29, 2006

We have a talented group of receivers...Gardocki has got a fork in him and we NEED some LB's.....a little help on the OL, there are several ways we can go with the draft......:helmet:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Rodney Bailey - Yes
Tyrone Carter - Yes
Sean Morey - Yes
Najeh Davenport - yes
Mike Logan - Maybe
Lee Mays - No
Barrett Brooks - No
Chidi Iwuoma - YES !
Chad Brown - No
Brian St. Pierre - Maybe
Others
Jeff Hartings - No
Cedrick Wilson - No
Chris Gardocki - No
Travis Kirshke - Yes
Rodney Bailey - Maybe
Verron Haynes - Yes
Jerame Tuman - Yes

Black@Gold Forever32
12-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Yes the Steelers have WR's and I like the core overall. But they don't have a tall physical WR. I like Nate Washington but he seems a alittle soft and Nate proved this year when he took some contact he didn't hold onto the ball most of the time.

So if Dwayne Jarrett the tall WR from USC is there in the first round when the Steelers pick I wouldn't be against the drafting of Jarrett if he is the best player available. But I think drafting a LB in the first round is a bigger need.

DIESELMAN
12-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Yes the Steelers have WR's and I like the core overall. But they don't have a tall physical WR. I like Nate Washington but he seems a alittle soft and Nate proved this year when he took some contact he didn't hold onto the ball most of the time.

So if Dwayne Jarrett the tall WR from USC is there in the first round when the Steelers pick I wouldn't be against the drafting of Jarrett if he is the best player available. But I think drafting a LB in the first round is a bigger need.

I think Jarrett will go to either the Rams or the 49ers or even the Lions(LMAO), I haven't seen much from USC WR's in the NFL lately. The big thing with receivers is a sorta psychic connection with the QB. That takes some time to get a feel for each other. We definitely need LB's, Paul Posluszny is a definite, I like Willis from Ole Miss, Simpson from Alabama and Latimer from Oklahoma.

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Unrestricted Free Agents
Rodney Bailey-- No
Tyrone Carter-- This is an iffy depending on Mike Logan
Sean Morey --- Well, I don't know.
Najeh Davenport --- We need to resign him, he did well in the ST role and as a reliever for Willie.
Mike Logan-- If he retires, we need Carter, if he stays aboard one more season, great.
Lee Mays --- HELL NO!!!
Barrett Brooks --- Hmmmmm...maybe.
Chidi Iwuoma ---- We are NOT making the same mistake twice, GET HIM ON THE ROSTER.
Chad Brown --- I think he is retiring, but if he plans to come back another season, I would sign him for depth.
Brian St. Pierre --- Is he getting tired of being the Steelers' Whore yet? Let him go, release the cord.
Others
Jeff Hartings --- Retiring, otherwise, he comes back for one season, sign him cheap.
Cedrick Wilson --- He hasn't proven much, let him go.
Chris Gardocki --- He needs to retire, getting sick of him myself.
Travis Kirshke --- Hmmmmm. Don't know.
Rodney Bailey ---- This is a swing for me.
Verron Haynes ---- Definitely a signer.
Jerame Tuman --- Reliable, I would like to keep him.

Aunkster
12-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I hope in the draft that we can choose another big back like jerome,this way we have a speed back and a power back.

I also would like to see a couple real good strong safetys.
and a good linebacker for Joey to take under his wing.

an offense line person or 2

possibly a kicker also.

Just my thoughts.

steelcurtain09
12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
1st - LB middle or outside
2nd - OT
3rd - power RB
4th - LB opposite of mid or out from 1st
5th - P or K
6th - K or P
7th - no clue

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
The team will keep Jeff Reed on the roster, but they will bring in another kicket to push him and see how he does in training camp.

I don't think they'll ever take a kicker and a punter in the draft back to back unless its in the last round with compensatory picks.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-30-2006, 05:15 PM
I think Jarrett will go to either the Rams or the 49ers or even the Lions(LMAO), I haven't seen much from USC WR's in the NFL lately. The big thing with receivers is a sorta psychic connection with the QB. That takes some time to get a feel for each other. We definitely need LB's, Paul Posluszny is a definite, I like Willis from Ole Miss, Simpson from Alabama and Latimer from Oklahoma.

I agree LB is a bigger need Diesel. I just like the idea of drafting best player available. If Jarrett is the best available then I think he should be the pick. I like Willis alot but he is a inside LB. I think drafting an OLB is a bigger need. I know Posluszny is an OLB but is he a OLB in a 3-4? Usually a 3-4 OLB in our defense is a converted DE from college. So do you think Posluszny can play OLB in a 3-4? I hope so since I think he would be a great pick and has a Steeler attitude.

I have no worries about the first round pick. The Steelers have done very well with first round picks the last five years. The Steelers can't waste picks in the later rounds like they have been doing.

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 06:54 PM
We aren't getting a Power RB in the draft, I am sorry to say this. THERE WON'T BE ANOTHER JEROME BETTIS TYPE RB in a long time. We will get a RB in the draft without a doubt, probably not til the 4th or 5th.

We definitely need a OLB, MLB, or any offensive linemens. That is a major priority. We will probably get a free agent to push Jeff Reed in training camp. Other than that, we don't have much more in needs. We damn well need one more thing, a SPECIAL TEAMER. Reid is good, but we need someone else in case he goes down again.

K Train
12-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Possible 1st rounders i'd like to see.

Victor Abirmiri-6-4 and fast, would play OLB for us after playing DE for ND, has really long arms and great pass rushing skills

Moses-See above
Justin Blalock-Can play both OT and OG

Dwayne Jarrett-Might not be that bad of an idea, hes actually amazig if you ask me and is pro-ready, ward is getting older and has been hurt alot lately.

Paul Puzlunsy-Plays OLB at PSU....looks more like a 3-4 MLB IMO, Farrior isnt getting younger....although he still plays great.

Michael Bush- I dont think Haynes will be back....he did not play well this year and i think this year was his chance. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MICHAEL BUSH IN BLACK AND GOLD!

I think we are set at CB (taylor will get out of his slump) and Mcfadden is amazing

Set at safety....Troy, A. Smith, Clark = amazing group of safetys that all hit like trucks.

Set at TE and QB...mabey we will draft some scrubs in the later rounds like always, We need a new punter...obviously

What do you guys think

DIESELMAN
12-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I agree LB is a bigger need Diesel. I just like the idea of drafting best player available. I think drafting an OLB is a bigger need. I know Posluszny is an OLB but is he a OLB in a 3-4? Usually a 3-4 OLB in our defense is a converted DE from college. So do you think Posluszny can play OLB in a 3-4? I hope so since I think he would be a great pick and has a Steeler attitude.

True True, thats what I was thinking with Posluszny best player available. As far as a tweener goes for OLB then I like Woodley from Michigan or Moses from Georgia. Damn I wish I could watch more bowl games...lol
I see Jarrett as another Plexiglass, Jinn, Johnson and Jarett are all underclassmen but they will probably all come out of college. I'd stick with what we got and get those guys more comfortable with each other and Ben. Get some OL's and LB's.

Captcoolhand
12-30-2006, 09:31 PM
K-Train, Why would you want Bush now? He didn't even play all year and there ara better players at this point:dunno: :2cents:

Black@Gold Forever32
12-30-2006, 09:56 PM
True True, thats what I was thinking with Posluszny best player available. As far as a tweener goes for OLB then I like Woodley from Michigan or Moses from Georgia. Damn I wish I could watch more bowl games...lol
I see Jarrett as another Plexiglass, Jinn, Johnson and Jarett are all underclassmen but they will probably all come out of college. I'd stick with what we got and get those guys more comfortable with each other and Ben. Get some OL's and LB's.

Yea I like Woodley and Moss alot also. I wouldn't mind either of them being a Steeler. I like Posluszny alot. I just don't know if he is true OLB in a 3-4. But what the hell lets just draft an OLB instead of trying to convert one. It could work out and Posluszny has the Steeler attitude thats for sure.

I like Dwayne Jarrett. He could prove to be another Plax when it comes to toughness. But I doubt Jarrett has the attitude problems and **** poor work ethic that Plax has. I like the WR core of Ward, Holmes and Washington but I think Jarrett is the real deal. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.:bluelol:

We seem to be thinking the same as drafting the best player available. I think we should offer our services to the Steelers front office.

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Capt, obviously you don't have a clue in your head about Michael Bush. He would do a great job in the Black n Gold. Willie and Michael would be unstoppable.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Capt, obviously you don't have a clue in your head about Michael Bush. He would do a great job in the Black n Gold. Willie and Michael would be unstoppable.

Michael Bush is a beast. Trust me if he ends up a Steeler there will be no complaints from me. I'm not a big Dookie fan so I would like Bush to be the Big back for the Steelers. Plus what if Willie Parker went down with a serious injury? So having a backup plan like Michael Bush would be a smart move.

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Exactly. You know Capt will protest our voices of opinion. Knowing his history. :lol: The whining bitch.

K Train
12-30-2006, 11:40 PM
K-Train, Why would you want Bush now? He didn't even play all year and there ara better players at this point:dunno: :2cents:

personally i think he is the best RB in the draft, better than peterson, lynch and anyone else you can think of....he broke his leg and that might make him slip, but whoever gets him is getting an absolute steal.

K Train
12-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Wha would you guys think about Samardzija as a second round pick, i doubt he'll go in the first at this point.

DIESELMAN
12-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Did Bush redshirt? If he did he ought to come back to Louisville for another year, yeah yeah I know, money talks and bullshit walks. But his stock in the draft fell pretty good cuz of the broke leg and he hasn't played since the season opener.....As far as other RB's I like Hicks from Iowa St. and Darby from Alabama but theres not really a whole lot to brag about in this years crop of RB's, I like Irons(Auburn) to but he needs to put some meat on his bones. I still like us getting Davenport definitely resign him, hes been good on returns and spelling Parker....

As far as these cats go:
Unrestricted Free Agents
Rodney Bailey-bye
Tyrone Carter-not sure
Sean Morey-resign
Najeh Davenport-resign
Mike Logan-bye
Lee Mays-maybe
Barrett Brooks-bye
Chidi Iwuoma-resign
Chad Brown-he can retire a Steeler
Brian St. Pierre-Who?
Others
Jeff Hartings-same as Brown
Cedrick Wilson-resign-short deal
Chris Gardocki-good f****** bye
Travis Kirshke-not sure
Rodney Bailey-bye
Verron Haynes-definitely resign
Jerame Tuman-resign short term

K Train
12-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Why do you guys like Haynes so much, all he did was fall short and fumble this year, he was always good at moving the chains but when he finally got a bigger role he did terrible....bye bye verron

How bout Garret Wolfe in the later rounds....hes very warrick dunn like

DIESELMAN
12-31-2006, 12:29 AM
How bout Garret Wolfe in the later rounds....hes very warrick dunn like

Hes like 5'7" 170-180 lbs not really a Bettis type, we got the speed burner in Parker we need a dozer......

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 12:36 AM
We definitely need the Bulldozer, we got the Ferreai.

K Train
12-31-2006, 12:39 AM
we are never gonna find another bus...we need to get over that, make us what we are becoming, not what we used to be.

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 12:41 AM
I never said we would ever find a bus again. I want just a decent size power runner to at least provide a busting burst through a hole to get those short yardages.

K Train
12-31-2006, 12:47 AM
the thing is, guys like Dunn have carried the load for years, holes open side to side, not up and down. Im not saying a big back isnt great, but its not the only way, look how Westbrook is doing now that they are running the ball, Wolfe tore it up in college....just saying might not be a bad 4th, 5th round pick.

DIESELMAN
12-31-2006, 12:48 AM
yeah but at 5'7 holy cow we'd have to get Ben to throw him over the DL to gain any yards...lol j/k...Davenport has got the size just needs to stay healthy.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2006, 12:48 AM
I never said we would ever find a bus again. I want just a decent size power runner to at least provide a busting burst through a hole to get those short yardages.

:iagree:

The Steelers still need that power RB and to have a backup plan just in case Willie goes down. Dookie is a solid player but I still think an up grade is needed. Would everybody really feel comfortable if Dookie was the main back if Willie went down with a serious injury?

DIESELMAN
12-31-2006, 12:50 AM
I guess we are so used to having that big bruiser its hard to see something else in the backfield. Parker has started the new wave for us ....we'll see

House of Steel
You got that right on, Diesel. I think Najeh did a fine job this season, I only wish he would stay healthy enough to be able to produce every game. We could of used him more in the Raiders game, Cincy game, and the Atlanta game. It makes me so damn mad that we lost those close games.

Iron City South
I'm hearing that the Steelers are still showing an interest in Duckett .... stay tuned.

K Train
I would feel comfortable, like i said i would love to see Michael Bush in black and gold, but Najeh has done good for us, but hes not a big power back, hes a big back that runs like a smaller one, its effective but different.

K Train
12-31-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm hearing that the Steelers are still showing an interest in Duckett .... stay tuned.

**** duckett:nono:

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 12:52 AM
I thought the Duckett Rumors were over with? Man, we don't need him. What good would he do? He didn't do **** for Washington. We need to go young and draft one up. Dookie needs to stay for at least a couple years.

K Train
12-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Duckett sucks, we dont want him

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Washington just laid down some big bones for Betts .... and with Portis locked up as thier Ferrari, Danny Sneider believes he now has some trade lattitude with Duckett

K Train
12-31-2006, 12:55 AM
and danny snyder can shove that latitude up his ***

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 01:06 AM
**** Synder! He doesn't know what the hell he is doing as an owner, he shoves his ego maniac *** in Dough, but can't field a championship team. Is Gibbs a goner?

K Train
12-31-2006, 01:09 AM
i think gibbs is out

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 01:42 AM
yeah, I agree .... I think Gibbs is out too. Danny loves him some Gruden.

Danny and Gruden are 2 egos made for each other.

DIESELMAN
12-31-2006, 02:42 AM
Washington just laid down some big bones for Betts .... and with Portis locked up as thier Ferrari, Danny Sneider believes he now has some trade lattitude with Duckett
Betts screwed up by resigning this early, hes had a hell of a year replacing Portis....he could of at least looked to see what kind of offers would've been on the table. His agent f***** him there.

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Betts admittedly wanted to remain in Washington.....has family there and his family likes living there, hence the early signing.

K Train
12-31-2006, 08:22 PM
What would you guys think about possibly making a move for Michael Turner this year who is a FA?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-31-2006, 08:31 PM
I guess we are so used to having that big bruiser its hard to see something else in the backfield. Parker has started the new wave for us ....we'll see

I have no problem with Willie Parker as the starter. I'm one of his biggest
supporters. But I still think the Steelers need a power back. Dookie is alright for depth purposes. But I would like a true power back and if indeed something happen to Willie long turn the Steelers had a backup plan.

Plus having that Big Back to pound it from time to time would be nice to spell Willie Parker.

DIESELMAN
12-31-2006, 08:37 PM
What would you guys think about possibly making a move for Michael Turner this year who is a FA?

Turner is going to look for a big payday after backing up Tomlinson pretty damn good. Nice thought but the Chargers will make him a pretty good offer and the Jets and a couple of other teams will be looking at him. We've got Da Man Fast Willie...I'm real cool with that!!!!!