PDA

View Full Version : Will Super Bowl XLV be Dick LeBeau's last game?

Scorp
01-25-2011, 12:26 PM
By James Walker
www.espn.com

This may present a scenario where the Hall of Famer coaches his last game in the Super Bowl. LeBeau, 73, said three seasons ago after turning 70 that he's coaching on a year-to-year basis. There was speculation he could retire after Pittsburgh's previous Super Bowl win following the 2008 season. That likely will start up again next week in Arlington. Expect this call to be totally up to LeBeau, who has been the NFL's top defensive coordinator for a long time and may take some time in the offseason to make his decision. LeBeau loves coaching his current group, and Pittsburgh will re-sign him to an extension in a heartbeat if LeBeau wants to continue coaching. Also, don't believe the hype linking LeBeau to Arizona. That's a pipe dream, at best.

harpo
01-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Well, last week on NFL network, he was quoted as saying he's not the oldest coach in the state of PA (Joe Pa). (I thought that was funny :lol:). While the quote didn't literally say that he wouldn't retire, it implied that he wasn't ready to do so.

But who knows? If they win #7, he might go out on top. :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Earlier this year he said he wasn't ready to retire yet so who knows. If we do win, going out on top would be a perfect situation for him. He goes into the HoF this year and then winning the Super Bowl.

Butler will take over when he does hang it up

steelersbabex25
01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Earlier this year he said he wasn't ready to retire yet so who knows. If we do win, going out on top would be a perfect situation for him. He goes into the HoF this year and then winning the Super Bowl.

Butler will take over when he does hang it up

:plus1: I was gonna say the same. I recall him saying that he wasn't going anywhere. Sure hope he doesn't. The person who replaces him is going to have some size 20 shoes to fill.

cmerrifield
01-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I dont want to see him go, but he does deserve to retire on top. It would be a great end to the legacy that is Dick LeBeau

bensshoes
01-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I dont want to see him go, but he does deserve to retire on top. It would be a great end to the legacy that is Dick LeBeau

he can retire on top in a couple years after he gets his 6th ring! :cope: :cope:

Goodfrom55
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
I tend to believe if Steelers win 7th ring, there might be a few guys punching out.

steelersbabex25
01-25-2011, 06:32 PM
he can retire on top in a couple years after he gets his 6th ring! :cope: :cope:

:yellowthumb:

steeldoc
01-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Just media nonsense...way too many people with pages to fill. LeBeau either returns or quits for good. I'm sure he doesn't need a big contract at this stage of his life, and is revered in Pittsburgh. Why would he want to work for a Cowher wannabe, when he can work for one cool dude who gives him all of the respect and autonomy he needs. Both Tomlin and Lebeau seem to have their egos in check. :imho:

SteelDad
01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
IMO, he's earned the right to decide this for himself....

Goodfrom55
01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
He might as well stick around for another year or two, I also believe Hines will not retire until he surpasses 1000 receptions (next year of there is one). Possibly Farrior, Flozell, Hoke, Smith, Batch. . . to name a few.