PDA

View Full Version : Ken Whisenhunt shopping Steeler coaches

coldrolled
01-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Vibrations from the Steelers' victory Sunday in the AFC Championship Game could be felt in the Cardinals coaches offices in Tempe.

With the Steelers advancing to Super Bowl XLV, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt will have to wait at least two weeks before interviewing Pittsburgh assistants for the vacant defensive-coordinator job.

Whisenhunt cannot request permission until the Steelers' season is over.

It's a critical hire for Whisenhunt, who has fired two coordinators in four years in Arizona. He has close ties with three Steelers defensive assistants: coordinator Dick LeBeau, linebackers coach Keith Butler and secondary coach Ray Horton.

LeBeau's contract expires after this season, but it would be a surprise if he didn't return to the Steelers. At 72, LeBeau takes his coaching career on a year-to-year basis, and leaving Pittsburgh, where he has coached since 2004, would be a difficult decision.

Whisenhunt is close friends with Butler but might not be able to interview him. Butler signed a new contract a year ago after turning down an offer to become the Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Part of his new deal includes a promise that he will take over LeBeau's job when LeBeau retires.

The Steelers might not give permission for Whisenhunt to interview Butler.

:imho: Ken... Take Bruce...

SteelDad
01-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Good pull coldrolled...

Why wouldn't Whiz look at our staff? I'm surprised he hasn't come after Butler before this. Considering 3 of the 4 teams in the final 4 were base 3-4 teams I'm surprised more teams aren't looking to rip some guys from us too.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Lebeau has been going a year to year with his contract, he won't go anywhere. He's got everything he could want in Pittsburgh so there's no worry that he'll come back.

Butler is going to be the next DC after Coach Dad retires, and just signed that new deal so he won't go anywhere either.

Horton could be gone, he was interviewed for the Dallas def. coord. job too.

steelers4life66
01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
LeBeau's not going anywhere. At this point in his life it isn't about the money. He retires a STEELER.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
LeBeau could retire but he wouldn't sign with the Cards.....Its stay with the Steelers or retire at this point......I don't think Butler will leave since he is promised the DC once LeBeau is retired......

Horton could be the one.........

steelersbabex25
01-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Please, please take Bruce Arians. We'll give him to you for free. Hell, we'll PAY you to take him.

K Train
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
lebeau certainly will have to write his own ticket out of pittsburgh, id imagine the steelers would decline to allow butler to be interviewed unless its what butler wants. but i think butler knows the position hes in is the best one for him even if dick continues....keith isnt running out of time, dick is.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
LeBeau could retire but he wouldn't sign with the Cards.....Its stay with the Steelers or retire at this point......I don't think Butler will leave since he is promised the DC once LeBeau is retired......

Horton could be the one.........

That's the long and short of it right there. No way Lebeau leaves Pittsburgh now. It's retire or keep going. Butler knows he's the guy when Coach Dad leaves and given that Dick is now 77 it won't be much longer before he hangs it up. He's got the perfect gig here and he knows the players inside and out, learning from Lebeau all this time will make him the perfect candidate. Running a 34 scheme is what Pittsburgh is built for and Butler is a young up and coming coach who pick up and keep going with what Lebeau has built.

Rampage
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
LeBeau and Butler will stay. LeBeau's only way out is retirement and Butler is being groomed for the DC job. Maybe the Cardinals can find some new coaches.

NHStlrfan
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
No surprises about the Whiz or for that matter any other team sniffing around Pittsburgh for potential coaches at just about any level, well with the exception of OC. ;) Why won't anyone take BA!? I just don't get how the guy can go year after year hearing about all the other coaches that are being interviewed and no one comes knocking!

coach
01-25-2011, 05:44 PM
If Butler was looking for a promotion couldn'r DL just become a consultant with the taem and promote Butler?
I am sure there is a way to make sure Butler stays.

NHStlrfan
01-25-2011, 05:57 PM
If Butler was looking for a promotion couldn'r DL just become a consultant with the taem and promote Butler?
I am sure there is a way to make sure Butler stays.

That may end up being the path in the long run. It keeps DL in the game just not standing in the cold in the playoffs or needing to be at every meeting every time. That has certainly got to be an attractive exit plan for DL.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
:imho: Ken... Take Bruce...[/QUOTE]

:haha::hehheh: lmao that would be great, Ken is a hater because he wanted soooooo bad to be the Steelers next coach Hey Ken :bigfinger::bigfinger:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Butler is under contract, they can deny permission for Arizona to speak with him if they want too. I would assume they will.

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2011, 02:51 AM
I don't like the fact of Wizenhunt coming around here stealing our coaches. He's doing this for revenge because he didn't get the head coaching job of the Steelers. I'd ban him from talking to our coaches. Their are 30 other teams with plenty of coaches that he can choose from. There is a reason he's coming here to raid us.

steelchamp204
01-26-2011, 04:30 AM
I don't like the fact of Wizenhunt coming around here stealing our coaches. He's doing this for revenge because he didn't get the head coaching job of the Steelers. I'd ban him from talking to our coaches. Their are 30 other teams with plenty of coaches that he can choose from. There is a reason he's coming here to raid us.

:plus1:, Ken needs to go somewhere else instead of a establishes org like us to make him look better. Ken, do some homework and get someone else in te college ranks or an up in comer in another org. Anyone can go to the steelers and make there tm better. He didnt have toleave but he needs to let go and do his own thing. I mean seriously, he needs to do some hw, we got a head coach that used to be a db coach for the bucs that led use to two sbs already. Grow some balls Ken and stop relying on a org who has a foundation and try to build your own, from scratch.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Saw today on Twitter and NFL.com that Lebeau refutes any suggestions of him leaving Pittsburgh. It's either retire or stay with the Black n Gold!

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81deecdb/article/lebeau-if-im-coaching-it-will-be-the-pittsburgh-steelers?module=HP_headlines

Dick LeBeau denied Wednesday that he will leave the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) after the season, telling NFL Network, "With this defense, with this group of men, they'll have to run me out of here."

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/d_lebeau_110126_IA.jpg Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau insisted Wednesday that if he coaches next season, it will be with the Pittsburgh Steelers. (Don Wright/Associated Press)
ESPN reported over the weekend that LeBeau's contract expires after the season and he would strongly consider joining the Arizona Cardinals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/profile?team=ARI), who have many former Steelers assistants, led by head coach Ken Whisenhunt, on staff. The team also needs a defensive coordinator after firing Bill Davis earlier this month.
LeBeau didn't specifically mention the Cardinals scenario Wednesday, but he said, "I'm not thinking about leaving tomorrow, I'll put it that way."
"I promise you, if I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers," LeBeau said as the team prepared for the Feb. 6 Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB).
LeBeau, 73, has been the Steelers' defensive coordinator since 2004, building one of the NFL's most-feared units. LeBeau is widely respected by Steelers players, who took a day off training camp to attend the coach's Hall of Fame induction last summer.
LeBeau had 62 interceptions, tied for eighth in NFL history, in 14 seasons as a Detroit Lions (http://www.nfl.com/teams/detroitlions/profile?team=DET) defensive back (1959-72). He entered the NFL coaching ranks with the Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.nfl.com/teams/philadelphiaeagles/profile?team=PHI) in 1973 and also was an assistant for the Green Bay Packers, Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN) and Buffalo Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF). He has served two stints with the Steelers, as secondary coach (1992-94), then defensive coordinator (1995-96) the first time.
LeBeau was the Bengals' head coach from 2000 to 2002, going 12-33 before he was fired and eventually replaced by Marvin Lewis.

greennick
01-27-2011, 05:14 AM
I like what we have done committing to Butler as the next D coordinator to keep other people's dirty hands off him. Sets us up in the position nicely for when Dick retires.

coldrolled
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Keith Butler Not the Steelers' Defensive Coordinator-in-Waiting

During his Super Bowl Media Day session, Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler said there is nothing in his contract that makes him the defensive coordinator-in-waiting, Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic reports.

Butler has coached the Steelers' linebackers since 2003, and has been rumored to be the in-house replacement for the 73-year old Dick LeBeau, whose contract expires after this season.

Due to head coach Ken Whisenhunt's connections to the Steelers, Butler's name has been linked to the Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator position. The Cardinals fired Bill Davis after the 2010 season, and have yet to announce a replacement. (Davis is now the linebackers coach for the Cleveland Browns, a post Butler held from 1999-2002.)

According to Somers, Butler does not know if Pittsburgh would grant permission for him to interview with the Cardinals.

Butler played linebacker for 10 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks, who selected him in the second round of the 1978 NFL Draft.

SteelerDave74
02-01-2011, 10:07 PM
I agree with all of you. Whiz is really getting on my nerves, first it's our rejects and now it is our coaches. Whiz, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF PITTSBURGH.

coldrolled
02-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Cardinals Expected to Pursue Keith Butler for DC Job
Pittsburgh Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler could become the next defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals, Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports.

The Steelers' linebackers coach since 2003, Butler has been linked to the Cardinals job since Ken Whisenhunt took over in 2007.

During Super Bowl XLV's Media Day on Tuesday, Butler disclosed that there are no clauses in his contract that would make him the defensive coordinator-in-waiting in Pittsburgh. Dick LeBeau, the Steelers' 73-year old defensive coordinator, has an expiring contract, but does not appear ready to hang up his whistle.

Arizona cannot interview or speak to Butler until Monday.

Butler played linebacker for 10 seasons (1978-87) in the NFL, all with the Seattle Seahawks.

coldrolled
02-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Cardinals Intend to Formally Pursue Keith Butler
The Arizona Cardinals are expected to formally approach the Pittsburgh Steelers for permission to interview linebackers coach Keith Butler regarding their defensive coordinator vacancy, Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network reports.

La Canfora adds that the Steelers are not expected to block the move.

Pittsburgh's linebackers coach since 2003, Butler has been linked to the Cardinals ever since former Steelers assistant Ken Whisenhunt became their head coach in 2007.

During Super Bowl XLV's Media Day last Tuesday, Butler disclosed that there are no clauses in his contract that would make him the defensive coordinator-in-waiting in Pittsburgh.

Dick LeBeau, the Steelers' 73-year old defensive coordinator, has an expiring contract, but does not appear ready to hang up his whistle.

Rampage
02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Whisenhunt needs to knock this whole sloppy seconds thing off. I feel like Borat:

"This my neighbor, Ken Whisenhunt. I get Clark Haggens, he get Clark Haggens. I get Joey Porter, he get Joey Porter. I get to Super Bowl, he get to draft top ten. Everyone knows drafting top ten is for girls!"