PDA

View Full Version : Smiths role if healthy for Sb

steelchamp204
01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
If A.Smith is healthy for the superbowl matchup against the packers should just use him as a backup with a limited role, Backup with big role, or a starter?

I think we shouldnt mess with anything going into the game. Hood is finally breaking out and doing a gj in the 3-4 defense. I know Smith is a great linemen for the steelers but I dont think he should start(which i doubt) and since he prob will be a sub, how much playing time will he get? About 10 snaps on defense? I dont know what the plan is for Smith. I know hes not 100% by any means at all but do we play him at all if he is about70-80%?

greg1964
01-24-2011, 12:44 PM
I love A. Smith as much as any Steeler's fan, but at this point of this season and his career, Smith is a part time player.

The era of the Hood is now established:

LatrobePA
01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
I love A. Smith as much as any Steeler's fan, but at this point of this season and his career, Smith is a part time player.

Have to agree, Hood has stepped up and it would be a sin to pull him out now. A.S can rotate in to keep the guys fresh...

NHStlrfan
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Have to agree, Hood has stepped up and it would be a sin to pull him out now. A.S can rotate in to keep the guys fresh...

Proof positive the Steelers brain trust is once again ahead of the curve in draft picks. How many have we seen come in and make an impact then become key players in only a few years. The fact that in just two short years Hood has come this far bodes well for the future. Smith is still a studd but will be rusty. Get him in to augment the staff, keep everyone fresh and it'll be nice to see them back to full strengh on the defnesive front just in time!

And who has the crystal ball to know this team would be in SB XLV? The only chance they had for Smith to play THIS season was if they made it to the AFCCG and or SB! Someone had a clue! :tt02:

steelchamp204
01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Proof positive the Steelers brain trust is once again ahead of the curve in draft picks. How many have we seen come in and make an impact then become key players in only a few years. The fact that in just two short years Hood has come this far bodes well for the future. Smith is still a studd but will be rusty. Get him in to augment the staff, keep everyone fresh and it'll be nice to see them back to full strengh on the defnesive front just in time!

And who has the crystal ball to know this team would be in SB XLV? The only chance they had for Smith to play THIS season was if they made it to the AFCCG and or SB! Someone had a clue! :tt02:

VERY TRUE. It might have taken hood a little longer than expected to come around, but hey, Hes here and hes doing it at the right time, when it counts and he is now officially a dirty worker now in the 3-4 defense. I love smith to but if he plays next year, we can have a fresh dline all the time now :eek1:

SteelCityKid5
01-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Yeah you cant start Aaron Smith. Ziggy has earned his status as the started and it would be great to rotate Smith in.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Aaron Smith shouldn't start and Tomlin won't do it.....But could you imagine how fired up this defense will be if Smith runs out of that tunnel and just plays 10-15 snaps in the game?........Not that the defense needed any extra motivation but I'll take any edge in the Super Bowl.....

In 2005 the team won it for Bettis.....Lets win this one for Aaron for just being the ultimate Steeler really...........A limited Aaron Smith is plus no matter how you look at it......

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Aaron Will be a role player if he does play in this game. I think it would be a shame to not have him out there on the field since we saved a roster spot for him all year. The Packers offense is one of the best in the league, so if we have another option to add into the rotation then that's all the better for us.

steelchamp204
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Aaron Smith shouldn't start and Tomlin won't do it.....But could you imagine how fired up this defense will be if Smith runs out of that tunnel and just plays 10-15 snaps in the game?........Not that the defense needed any extra motivation but I'll take any edge in the Super Bowl.....

In 2005 the team won it for Bettis.....Lets win this one for Aaron for just being the ultimate Steeler really...........A limited Aaron Smith is plus no matter how you look at it......

Cant agree more, I would take Smith no matter how many snaps a game. He is the most unselfish guy in football or one of them. Hes been working hard all season to get back when H could have just called it quits for this year. But I do know we have the SB exp over the packers which I thik will play a huge part in this game.

Rampage
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
It would be sweet to see Smith get rotated in for Keisel and Hood if he is capable of coming in. Keep that defensive line fresh to put as much pressure as possible on that Packers o-line and run game.

steelersbabex25
01-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Aaron Will be a role player if he does play in this game. I think it would be a shame to not have him out there on the field since we saved a roster spot for him all year. The Packers offense is one of the best in the league, so if we have another option to add into the rotation then that's all the better for us.

Agreed. He wasn't put on IR for this very reason.

tburg68
01-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I would tend to think that if AS is healthy enough to play at all, that he will start. That being said I still wouldn't expect him to get many snaps. I would see the start as a reward for past blood sweat and tears. I think that Ziggy would understand, maybe even lobby for AS to get the start.

igor0190
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Aaron Smith should play all 1st downs and short yardage. Basically any likely running situations.

Troyisabeast_43
01-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I believe Smith will play as well seeing he was close to actually playing this weekend against the Jets. He definitely will not start and shouldnt start but if he is in there he would be a huge morale boosts for this Steelers team in general, and having him spot Ziggy on the D-line or anybody else for 10-15 plays isnt a bad thing as well...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Plus the weather won't be a problem in Dallas, so worrying about staying loose in the cold like in Pittsburgh the last few weeks might work in his favor to play.

Nolrog
01-24-2011, 07:08 PM
I never thought I'd see the day when people would be arguing to keep Ziggy in the line up over Smith. What has the world come to?

steelersbabex25
01-24-2011, 07:38 PM
I think another thing that everybody's forgetting is that this is the Superbowl, and it may be the last Superbowl we'll see in a couple of years at that. If Smith isn't 100%, but maybe he's 75%, he'll go because he'll have 6 or 7 months, or quite possibly 18 or 19 months to heal.

tburg68
01-24-2011, 07:42 PM
He definitely will not start and shouldnt start

Do you know something we don't know, and if AS is healthy enough to play, why shouldn't he start?

steeldoc
01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
If healthy enough Smith will just give the starters a break. He will not play much..Tomlin is smarter than that.

SteelerCountry58
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
It doesn't matter if Smith starts,just having him back and his presence
on the line will be huge for us. Hood is playing well and will get the
majority of the snaps but if Aaron is ready to rock and roll then let's
get this thing on and bring back the Lombardi to the Burgh!!:tt02:

HUNT4SEVEN
01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
He will play but not start and we need him most on 3rd downs, I'm looking forward to seeing him on the field...

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2011, 11:48 PM

Hood has earned the right to start. But as the game goes along, Smith has to be rotated in. He has fresh legs and you can't put a price on that.