PDA

View Full Version : Steelers, a dynasty?

Scorp
01-24-2011, 01:27 AM
Would you label the Steelers a DYNASTY should they win their 3rd championship in 6 years? Or do you have to win back to back championships knowing it's hard to do now a days?

pimplydan
01-24-2011, 01:33 AM
No really, if they win the superbowl they are a dynasty under the Dick Lebeau defensive scheme.

With Ben Roethlisberger at QB .

steelchamp204
01-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Yes they will be IF they win, every other year a sb title=greatness.

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2011, 02:15 AM
If they win, it will be a dynasty.

jd1000
01-24-2011, 03:13 AM
No hard and fast rule here I know but consider this:

GB was considered a dynasty for the 60's. Rightfully so in my opinion. True only 2 SB's but they won NFL championships prior to the SB era in the same decade.

The 70's...well, we ALL know who that is. :tt02: I call this the "First Dynasty"

The 80's - Well, I would argue two dynsties there but clearly SF was the better of the two. The Redskins had 3 and they earned their place.

The 90's - Pains me to say this but Dallas did it then with their 3.

Early 2000's - Patriots - once again with 3.

Us again (Dynasty II) If we win. Yes sir.

The basic premise of my argument is that winning 3 or better with your core group (hence the QB)- there will always be some roster changes in this day and age and thus that should be considered) earns the Dynasty title. That argument could sink the Redskins (Theismann and Doug Williams) but it hold true for most others. Others may argue the Coach needs to be the same too but that would rule out Dallas in the 90's (Johnson and Switzer). And it would rule us out.....but my counter to that argument is that Dallas under Switzer and the Steelers under Tomlin still play their brand of Cowboys and Steelers football respectively. And the QB's were the same.

I think 3 within about a 7-10 year span earns the title. Either way, in the SuperBowl era it seems that the Steelers are the true pioneers of football. We were the first to win 3, 4 and then 6 SB's. We have the possibility of winning 7 now. Plus, we have as many SB MVP's as Dallas (remember they got that honor when they lost the sloppy SB V to the Colts). 7 there makes us undisputed there as well. And face it, as I said on an earlier post, a 3rd ring in 6 years would cement HOF slots for Ben, Hines (He probably already has it anyways) and would put into contention half of our defense. Also, I think it would help Jerome Bettis later this year.

This SB has the possibility of not being just ""another" trophy. There is more potentially at stake and I feel, a glory that NO other franchise has the chance of seeing for another 10 years at least. The Millenial Dynasty (how does that name sound?)...a Second Dynasty....there are a helluva a lot of franchises that would love to just experience their first.

JD from Utah

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2011, 04:13 AM
If the Steelers do beat the Pack in Super Bowl XLV then I want to see them repeat....Only thing that would be missing from this current core is a repeat......4 in 7 years would 70's like........not match the 4 in 6 which should have been 5 in 6..........

DBR96A
01-24-2011, 04:52 AM
If we win this Super Bowl, then let's make sure we make the damn playoffs again next season, OK?

Scorp
01-24-2011, 12:13 PM
By Bob Labriola - Steelers Digest

Posted 6 hours ago

These conference championship games have become showcases unto themselves, complete with honorary captains from both teams adding to the ceremony of the opening coin toss. Representing the Steelers last Sunday were Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, and if they had been carrying torches instead of Terrible Towels to the middle of the field they could’ve passed them.

Yes, the representatives of the 1970s Steelers that won four championships within a span of six seasons could’ve passed the torch to James Farrior as the representative of the second dynasty in franchise history.

That’s a strong word indeed, dynasty, but these Steelers certain deserve to be in the conversation after their 24-19 win over the New York Jets last Sunday night earned them the AFC Championship and the conference’s berth in Super Bowl XLV. This now makes three conference championships and two Lombardis – with a chance at a third in a couple of weeks – for 16 of the players and six of the coaches who got to enjoy this particular addition to the trophy case with the largest crowd ever to watch a Steelers game at Heinz Field.

Maybe dynasty is a little strong, especially since these Steelers are staring down the barrel of a daunting test in the Super Bowl in the form of the Green Bay Packers, and even a third Lombardi Trophy would not tie them with their 1970s brethren, but it’s clear these two groups of Steelers have been the most successful in the franchise’s 78 seasons of doing business in the NFL.

www.steelers.com