PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers have the experience in this game over the Packers...

Troyisabeast_43
01-24-2011, 12:10 AM
The Steelers know what to expect in this game unlike the Packers. They have a ton of guys still left from the 2005 Super Bowl as well as the one from 2008, and they will be relaxed and know how to handle all the distractions that come along with this game. I think that right there is a big advantage and something that should not be overlooked is the Steelers experience level over pretty much all the Packers players in this game. This is not just like any other ordinary football game. Especially to a QB like Aaron Rodgers. We will see how he handles the pressure of being in his first Super Bowl because there is no doubt that the nerves will definitely be there for him much like they were for Ben in 2005 in Detroit...

Scorp
01-24-2011, 12:29 AM
A huge story line right here. Tons of rich history. It doesn't even begin there. Steelers do have a huge advantage and experience to fend off the Pack.

Troyisabeast_43
01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
The Steelers have 26 players I believe on the roster that have played in both of their Super Bowls combined in 2005 and 2008,and the Packers only have a total of 2 I believe. That is a huge difference right there. Im telling you the Steelers will be much more loose in this game to start and the Packers are going to realize once they get down to Dallas and hit that field that this is just not another football game. Im not saying this will ultimately decide who will win or lose this game but I am saying that it can definitely make the Packers more tight to start this game where the Steelers should be relaxed and know what to expect...

WindyCityShaker
01-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I thought there was only one player but I guess it could be two. I do know that they only have one player with a ring and that's Kuhn, he got it with us as a practice squad player for SB XL.

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2011, 11:38 PM
This is the key.

Allready, the Packers are talking the "I'm just happy to be here" talk. And that's the talk of a super bowl loser.

When the bright lights of the game hits Rodgers and the rest of these guys, the pressure they will feel will be different then any they've ever felt.

Experience will be everything in this game because when the inexperienced make mistakes, they are turned into points by us.

Go listen to what the Packers are saying. They've allready lost.

Troyisabeast_43
01-24-2011, 11:50 PM
This is the key.

Allready, the Packers are talking the "I'm just happy to be here" talk. And that's the talk of a super bowl loser.

When the bright lights of the game hits Rodgers and the rest of these guys, the pressure they will feel will be different then any they've ever felt.

Experience will be everything in this game because when the inexperienced make mistakes, they are turned into points by us.

Go listen to what the Packers are saying. They've allready lost.

Id love to hear some of this stuff because I think it's essential as you just mentioned. Do you have a link of some sort that we can read some of these Packers players quotes of them saying they are just happy to be here and things like that...If so by all means post it...

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
No...but I was listening to Arron Rodgers today and I think it was Charles Woodson. It was on Fox sports news.

You can probably pull it up on their website.

I think they will come out tight, and a little mistake prone. So it's important for us to start fast like we did against the Jets but we must maximize all our point opportunities against the Packers. All of them.

DIESELMAN
01-25-2011, 08:01 AM
There will be a lot more pressure on the Packers, like u guys said, due to experience. We will have pressure on us too, afterall it is the Super Bowl and we are going for our 7th Lombardi. Capers will be watching game tape on how NE beat us and also be watching tape of the different Jets D in the second half of the AFCCG. We need to score early and often. The Packets run game is weak but they do have a talented QB and WR corps, that could cause problems if they spread it out, our flaw on defense.

Scorp
01-25-2011, 08:19 AM
How much of a shocker would it be if the Pack won?

pimplydan
01-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Id love to hear some of this stuff because I think it's essential as you just mentioned. Do you have a link of some sort that we can read some of these Packers players quotes of them saying they are just happy to be here and things like that...If so by all means post it...

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011012301/2010/POST20/packers@bears/watch

This is the interview you wanna see...................................

--- Added 1/25/2011 at 10:52 AM ---

Yes , I also believe the experience factor is the best andvantage we have on them .

Indoors is the best advantage they have on us . Rodgers does play very well indoors , look at the game against Atlanta .

I do believe that the Pittsburgh Steelers are very well focused on their mission and that is to bring the Lombardi to Pittsburgh for the 7th time.

This is a team of brothers watching out for each others , nobody wants to let nobody down . Really this huge , It's almost like they are at war , and if you don't see the enemy he will shot your brother down .
I think it means THAT much to the players

LOOK FOR THE STEELERS TO HAVE A BIG VICTORY......................................PIMP

steelchamp204
01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
I dont think this will have any effect on the game. Im worried about the pack throwing all over us, WE HAVE TO SHUT DOWN JENNINGS. He is there guy along with Driver. If we can do this then we will be ok. But they will spread our defense out though. And we have to keep an eye on rodger because he will take off also.

steelersbabex25
01-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I hope experience will play a role in this game, but unfortunately I don't really think it will. I think it's one of those things that people put a lot more into than actually matters. When it comes down to it, it's about what team is better coached, who has the better execution, who has the better preparation.

AZ_Steeler
01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I know a lot of people like to look at the experience and what not... not to **** in everyone's cheerios but think back two years ago with the Patriots and Giants. Same scenario the Steelers have right now. They can't start thinking they have this in the bag because they've been there and done this. The Steelers need to come into this game with a chip on their shoulder for being the under dog and send a message!

K Train
01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
this is routine light work for them....hopefully the bright lights are too much for the packers.

these teams actually matchup great together...this may be the highest rated superbowl ever. with every superbowl the steelers play in the easier it becomes to deal with. i cant think of one packer that has been to the superbowl while i can only think of 5 starters on the steelers that havent....flo, hood, wallace, scott, and pouncey. randel el has one ring, clark has one ring and pretty much everyone else has 2 except of course players drafted 2009-2010

BlitzburghRockCity
01-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Experience in a game like this is a big plus. Especially early on with the crowd going wild and the jitters setting in knowing so much is on the line. The Steelers are full of playoff experienced and super bowl experienced players and coaches. I honestly like the matchup in this game, not the best we could have hoped for given our style of play but still a great defense will always give you a chance.

Ben's experience in tight situations, driving down with the game on the line to make the winning TD throw to Santonio, that experience is invaluable. I like our chances with the game on the line, the defense finding a way to make a play. The offense finding a way to get that one last first down. It's a monumental matchup between these 2 teams, but I like our chances as well as anybody.

The Bears play a tough defense like us and they kept the Packers at bay all game long. You can bet Lebeau will be watching that game film closely. Rogers is just like Manning and Brady, if you get in his face you can rattle him. If you sit back he'll eat you alive.

I don't think there's any way the Steelers are overconfident in this one. They are already underdogs and will remain that way till the game starts. Considering how they battled in the playoffs alone, that tells them nothing is certain till the final whistle.

Troyisabeast_43
01-25-2011, 03:32 PM
I believe if the Steelers can contain the Packers receivers and hold them in check in this game that the Steelers will win. The Packers only hope in this game is if Rodgers pulls a Tom Brady in November and torches the Steelers secondary. The Packers will not be able to move the ball on the ground in this game so that will make it fall all on the shoulders of Aaron Rodgers. I do believe as good as people say the Packers defense is they can be both run on and thrown on. The key in this game will be finding a way to keep Matthews out of Ben's face. If the Steelers offensive line run blocks and gives Ben the same kind of protection he had against the Jets the Steelers will score points against the Packers and make them pay. The thing the Steelers defense needs to pay attention too is Aaron Rodgers and his playaction passes. When defenses bite on these Rodgers can be deadly. I have a feeling that this is going to be the game and the Super Bowl where Troy Polamalu finally makes his presence known and makes a big key play to win the game for the Steelers. He has been pretty quiet in the first 2 Super Bowls the Steelers won,and I feel this will finally be the one where Troy breaks out and does something big time. Dont be surprised if Troy picks Rodgers in this game late to either ice the game or take it to the house and seal it for the Steelers...

DIESELMAN
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I believe if the Steelers can contain the Packers receivers and hold them in check in this game that the Steelers will win. The Packers only hope in this game is if Rodgers pulls a Tom Brady in November and torches the Steelers secondary. The Packers will not be able to move the ball on the ground in this game so that will make it fall all on the shoulders of Aaron Rodgers. I do believe as good as people say the Packers defense is they can be both run on and thrown on. The key in this game will be finding a way to keep Matthews out of Ben's face. If the Steelers offensive line run blocks and gives Ben the same kind of protection he had against the Jets the Steelers will score points against the Packers and make them pay. The thing the Steelers defense needs to pay attention too is Aaron Rodgers and his playaction passes. When defenses bite on these Rodgers can be deadly. I have a feeling that this is going to be the game and the Super Bowl where Troy Polamalu finally makes his presence known and makes a big key play to win the game for the Steelers. He has been pretty quiet in the first 2 Super Bowls the Steelers won,and I feel this will finally be the one where Troy breaks out and does something big time. Dont be surprised if Troy picks Rodgers in this game late to either ice the game or take it to the house and seal it for the Steelers...

I agree, like I said earlier if Rodgers spreads his WR's out, it might be a good day for him and the Packers, but I've got a good feeling Polamalu will show up big in this one. Another thing our D needs to watch is, Rodgers can run also, so we need to keep that in mind also. We ran it down the Jets throat, we shouldn't have a problem running on their D. Overall, I really like our matchups, the ones I don't like, can be overcome with good game planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rampage
01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
I hope that the experience just allows our big players to feel a little less anxious to start out the game. Everyone on the field will get over the nervousness at some point in the game, I just feel that the experience this team has may allow it to make fewer mistakes towards the beginning.

cmerrifield
01-25-2011, 04:48 PM
My brother-in-law is a Packers fan and he is worried because the Bears had 2 big hits on Rogers and his accuracy went out the window. We need to get to him early and mess with his head.

Rampage
01-25-2011, 06:42 PM
My brother-in-law is a Packers fan and he is worried because the Bears had 2 big hits on Rogers and his accuracy went out the window. We need to get to him early and mess with his head.

I heard some talking heads on ESPN saying that he may have received a concussion on that Julius Peppers hit and it went undiagnosed. That could explain his poor accuracy; it's a bit difficult to hit a wide open WR when you see two of them.

coach
01-25-2011, 07:59 PM
I think the experience that should benefit the Steelers is that of the veterans telling the rookies what to do and the coaching staff knowing what to do. I loved the game plan to do something to the Jets they didn't expect, go up early and play with the lead. I think coaches and players know what it takes from a planning and execution stand point.

Then came the second half, of course, where I questioned my beliefs in above.

That 2009 game between these teams was crazy. All offense and no defense and Wallace making "the catch- part deux" that was a little bit like Holmes' catch in SB 43 where we won by 1 point after a failed on-side kick where GB scored 7 to take the lead with just a few minutes left.

Could you imagine anything like that in the SB? They don't produce enough Rolaids or Prozac for that, even with a scotch chaser.

Rampage
01-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Could you imagine anything like that in the SB? They don't produce enough Rolaids or Prozac for that, even with a scotch chaser.

On the plus side, it would be a fantastic way to burn some fat; my heart rate would be pegged at 185 all night if that was how the game went. Some quality steady state cardio right there.

Scorp
01-26-2011, 12:25 AM
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
Posted 8 hours ago

Larry Foote takes great pride in the two Super Bowl rings he owns. He knows how special they are, knows how hard they are to come by. And he knows that if he didn’t come back to the Steelers this year as a free agent, he wouldn’t be working towards earning a third ring.

Foote left the Steelers after the team won Super Bowl XLIII via free agency, signing with his hometown team the Detroit Lions. But after just one season away, he knew Pittsburgh was the place for him and when he got a call from the team this past offseason, he was happy to be back.

“A lot of people hope to win the Super Bowl, they dream about it,” said Foote. “I knew before I came back here we had done it twice before and we had a good chance of doing it. That’s why I wanted to come back.”

Foote missed the atmosphere in Pittsburgh, where he knows winning is what is expected.

“That is Pittsburgh period,” said Foote. “Wherever you are, that is the way it is. The guys in the 1970s created that. If you don’t win the Super Bowl, it’s a bust. You have to do your best to follow suit.

“Our defensive meeting room is right next to the room where the Lombardi Trophies are. Everyone is expected to do their part to win. The standards don’t change. If someone goes down, they expect you to perform on a high note every week. We don’t care about style points as long as we have one more point than our opponent.”

The Pro Football Hall of Fame will announce their Class of 2011 on Saturday, Feb. 5, one day before Super Bowl XLV.

Two former Steelers are among the 15 finalists, running back Jerome Bettis and center Dermontti Dawson, and those who have played the game think they are deserving of a spot in the Hall.

Dan Dierdorf, a Hall of Fame tackle who watched Dawson plenty as a member of the CBS broadcast team, thinks it’s time he got in.

“I do think he should be in there. It’s harder for an offensive lineman because it’s subjective,” said Dierdorf. “You don’t have a stat sheet that the voters can rely on. I don’t have a doubt that pretty soon Dermontti is going to be in there because he is worthy.

“He had all of the physical tools that were necessary, balance, strength. The one thing that always impressed me was his ability to handle a nose tackle by himself. The majority of centers that play the game almost always need some sort of a double team, or a rub from the guard next to them. The great centers, and there aren’t many of them, block the nose tackle all by themselves and Dermontti was one of those guys. That’s what makes him so special.”

Former Tampa Bay Buccaneers safety John Lynch, who played in the NFL for 16 seasons and battled against Bettis plenty of times during his 16 years in the NFL, joking that his shoulders still feel the pain from some of Bettis’ punishing runs, and thinks the former running back definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame.

“What Jerome has given to the game, and our battles go back to Stanford-Notre Dame, has been great,” said Lynch. “He is one of those guys you always had the ultimate respect for because he was immensely talented and handled it the right way. He always had that smile on his face. In the most intense moment of the game Bus would have a smile on his face. Jerome is one of the favorite guys I ever competed against. He was one of the most popular guys in the game for a long time. He did so much for the game.

“But most importantly his play on the field warrants him being in the Hall of Fame.”

The electric atmosphere in Heinz Field throughout the season, in particular during the playoffs, is something that hasn’t gone unnoticed by the players.

“It’s awesome,” said tight end Heath Miller. “It’s fun to be a part of the Steelers Nation and the excitement that they bring to our team and our whole city. It’s a neat experience. It’s a home field advantage. The louder they are, the more excited they are, the more energy they bring to the stadium, the team feeds off of that and it makes life more difficult for the other team.”

Second-year receiver Mike Wallace said he was just amazed at the atmosphere during the Ravens playoff game, particularly in the third quarter when the team started their comeback.

“I sat back and saw the Towels,” said Wallace. “It was amazing. That is the first time I really realized how special Heinz Field is.”

For those new to the team this year, like Jonathan Scott who played in Buffalo and Detroit, it’s been something to enjoy.

“It’s phenomenal,” said Scott. “The energy is out the roof. They are diehard throughout the year, even in the offseason. Coming in here and witnessing a monumental surge of enthusiasm just raises everyone’s level of play.”

Shaun Suisham didn’t join the Steelers until later in the season, but it didn’t take long for him to get a feel for the fans.

“It’s been a lot of fun and certainly an advantage to play here,” said Suisham. “Once we got rolling in the third quarter of the Ravens game that was something special to be a part of it. The fans were a big part of us winning that game. That was unbelievable. That was really cool. I can’t speak for everyone on the sideline, but I think I can, because it gets everyone moving and excited. It’s a special thing when you can play at home and have fans like that supporting you.”

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2011, 01:59 AM
I believe experience counts more then people are giving credit for. There is an amount of pressure in enexperienced players minds that make them tight, and not do things as instinctual as they usually do. Especially in the first half of a game of this magnitude.

I believe the Packers will come out tight. That is the norm. They'll loosen up eventually but initially, they'll be tight. Tightness brings about mistakes. For example, there is a rookie RB in this game. He's gone from practice squad to Super Bowl in a three week period. Think he'll be tight??? Think he might get the ball stripped from him? That's my point.
we need to take advantage of them and their tightness.

steelersbabex25
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I believe experience counts more then people are giving credit for. There is an amount of pressure in enexperienced players minds that make them tight, and not do things as instinctual as they usually do. Especially in the first half of a game of this magnitude.

Maybe during media day experience comes into play, but what does it matter on the field?

Moondog
01-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I hope that the experience just allows our big players to feel a little less anxious to start out the game. Everyone on the field will get over the nervousness at some point in the game, I just feel that the experience this team has may allow it to make fewer mistakes towards the beginning.

That's what I think also, that's why it's imperative for the Steelers to jump on the Pack with a quickness so once they realized what happened, they're down 17-0. People don't talk alot about the beginning of Superbowl 43 that often because of it's amazing ending, but I think that the Steelers took advantage of the Card's nerves and went up 10-0 before they settled down a bit. That's exactly what the Steelers need to do again, come out of the gate hard, fast, and ferocious. :tt02:

steelchamp204
01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
I dont think the cardinals had any sb exp on there team except for Warner. And we all saw how that game turned out. I mean yea they might come out tight but it wont last even half a quarter.

NHStlrfan
01-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Maybe during media day experience comes into play, but what does it matter on the field?

The majority of players interviewed post game in title matches indicate they're over the initial shock and into the game as soon as they get hit. Maybe the best plan against Rodgers is to just let him alone. ;) Seriously, in most cases any effect for lack of experience is gone within the first few minutes. I'm pretty sure even the Rookies have been playing ball for a long time.

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
The majority of players interviewed post game in title matches indicate they're over the initial shock and into the game as soon as they get hit.

And what are they suppose to say? I was shell shocked the whole first half? They are not going to admit something like that.

Look how the Jets came out last week? Mendy running up in them like they were nobody, Sanchez jittery the whole first half...that's mental pressure!

You don't think a RB that was on the practice squad a month ago isn't going to come out jittery?????? Starks will be ripe for fumbling that ball. One man tackle him, the other strip him.

Scorp
01-27-2011, 01:03 AM
:goodpost:S by all. :yellowthumb:

Clevelandsux
02-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I would also like to mention that the Packers lost to the Lions, Redskins and Dolphins during the regular season. Yes I know Rodgers didn't play in some of those games. However we went 3-1 without Roethlisberger. Were actually one play from going 4-0. So no excuses.