PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey injury:....Update: Did not practice Friday; ruled out

greennick
01-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Will he be able to make it back? It didn't look good him being on crutches, though I missed the bit where they discussed his injury. Any word on his status for the Super Bowl??

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Legursky and the offense did well in the first half, but in the 2nd half the Jets came after the middle and really brought the heat. If we don't get Pouncey back for the Super Bowl, Raji will eat him alive.

He was on crutches the rest of the game, no update other than ankle injury.

steelersbabex25
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
We just won the AFC champ. Give it some time, would ya?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Thank goodness it's not broken, atleast there is hope that he'll be available. If not we atleast have 2 weeks of getting Legursky some work at Center.

MattyVfromCT
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
tomlin said it was sprained

steelersbabex25
01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
high ankle sprain is terrible. could sideline him for atleast a month

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 10:41 PM
He'll get plenty of treatment the next 2 weeks and I'm sure he'll be in a boot most of the time. He's got a chance though to play, and with a great defense like the Packers we'll need every guy available.

jd1000
01-23-2011, 10:46 PM
I bet he will be back. Work Legursky in and maybe platoon him and Pouncey if necessary throughout the SB. Something tells me he will be ok and play the game. We've been patching the O-Line for how many years now? I think we will be fine.

JD from Utah:yellowthumb:

Troyisabeast_43
01-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Pouncey says he will definitely play in the Super Bowl and will be ready so that is something to be positive about....

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-23-2011, 11:26 PM
early info says it a high ankle sprain..usually 4 weeks...hope early reports are wrong ,or it not that severe...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Pouncey says he will definitely play in the Super Bowl and will be ready so that is something to be positive about....

Starks came back from his high ankle sprain after only 1 week, if it's not a severe sprain then he'll be back. You can bet they'll be working on him non stop these next 2 weeks.

igor0190
01-24-2011, 01:44 AM
It did not look good... He could not put ANY weight on it and I would assume he wil be extremely doubtful for the game. In all honesty I thought it was his knee and thought he was completely done for 6 months + from the look of it. So I guess there is an extremely small possibility he plays in SB XLV???? Maybe?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Headlines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=199274

Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey has been diagnosed with a left high-ankle sprain.

It's a potentially major blow as Pittsburgh begins preparations for red-hot wrecking ball NT B.J. Raji. Pouncey, a Pro Bowler in a terrific rookie year, was Pittsburgh's best offensive lineman throughout the season. He has two weeks to get treatment, but is certainly very questionable for Super Bowl XLV. Backup Doug Legursky came on and did an excellent job in the AFC Championship Game, but is a major downgrade from Pouncey. Jan. 23 - 11:23 pm et

K Train
01-24-2011, 01:45 AM
if we see him in there ill assume mike swung by the practice facility and put on a #53 jersey

Scorp
01-24-2011, 01:48 AM
****, if Ward played with his knee problem in Super Bowl XLIII, why can't Pouncey prove his quality and his desire to help his team? I think he will be good to go.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2011, 01:51 AM
I think he plays but the question is......How effective or limited he will be?......But at least they don't play next week.......Maybe Pouncey can heal quick.....lol

steelchamp204
01-24-2011, 01:51 AM
He will play mark it down.

igor0190
01-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Ya'll are very optimistic...
I would like to be, but it looked so bad. Probably the 5-6 week variety. But he is young and should be a quick healer. Hopefully it is not nearly as bad as it looked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_ankle_sprain

steelchamp204
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
Ya'll are very optimistic...
I would like to be, but it looked so bad. Probably the 5-6 week variety. But he is young and should be a quick healer. Hopefully it is not nearly as bad as it looked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_ankle_sprain

Thats the thing he has going for him is hes young, not a 35 year old where it would take longer period of time, Yea Im very optimistic about him playing, I wouldnt want to miss this either if i was a player. But then again, he might not play, but its not that Lagursky played bad tonight in center, he actually did well.

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2011, 02:16 AM
Thank god we have two weeks to get him and Mcfadden up and ready. We will need every CB we can get against the 4 WR the Packers will throw at us.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-24-2011, 02:20 AM
I'm not that optimistic.....Just think he will play since its the Super Bowl............I think he will give it go....Don't know how many plays he will play and I do think he will be limited......But I'll take a limited Pouncey over Legursky.....Doug is my guy but he is a career backup for a reason......

Iron City South
01-24-2011, 08:50 AM
What's the word?

It didn't look good ... :crutches:

LatrobePA
01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
He said no way he's missing the SB!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Ankle sprain, he vows he will play in the super bowl

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28833

coldrolled
01-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey plans to play in Super Bowl XLV despite sustaining a high ankle sprain in a 24-19 win against the New York Jets.

Pouncey, the first Steelers rookie offensive lineman to make the Pro Bowl since the 1950s, left the AFC Championship Game on the first possession after Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas fell on his left leg.

Pouncey did not return to the game but he said afterwards that he will play Feb. 6 against the Green Bay Packers in Dallas.

“I know in my heart that I’m playing in that game,” Pouncey said after the Steelers earned their third trip to the Super Bowl in the last six years. “I had the same injury before on my other ankle and I know how to attack it. I know how to approach things.”

The Steelers will likely hold Pouncey out of practice until they arrive in Dallas, and the 6-4, 304-pounder gets extra time to heal because of the bye both Super Bowl-bound teams receive next weekend.

Read more: Pouncey says injury won't sideline him for the Super Bowl - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_719533.html#ixzz1Bxk7ni1W

steelersbabex25
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
That's awesome. Love it that he's promising he'll play in the Superbowl.

steelchamp204
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Yea he had this on his other ankle in Florida and I think they said he played the following week or only missed one game. So yea, he feels confident in healing it himself and with trainers, so I feel confident he will play, and every snap.

NHStlrfan
01-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Remember this kid is only a rookie so he's still young enough to heal RAPIDLY! He'll be there. We also have the potential to see Aaron Smith back on the field on the defnsive side too. That could be a big impact too.

airbrake 1
01-24-2011, 12:43 PM
i really hope he can play...it sure didn't look good last night...it's really great that he appears determined to play in the super bowl...perhaps he can borrow heinz ward's hyperbaric chamber to help him heal quicker...at least he appears tougher than jay cutler:tt02:

steelersbabex25
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
If you saw Pouncey on the sideline, he was out here, crutches and all, yelling and screaming his head off the entire time. Now, compare that to Jay Cutler. Pouncey will be back.

NHStlrfan
01-24-2011, 01:33 PM
If you saw Pouncey on the sideline, he was out here, crutches and all, yelling and screaming his head off the entire time. Now, compare that to Jay Cutler. Pouncey will be back.

Cutler's name should not be mentioned in any reference to any real players in the NFL. :lol: What a pansey! Da Bearss can defend him all they want. That kid Hanie that came in was better. Cutler's either way on or way off. Just never know. Pouncey on the other hand hasn't had a bad game yet!

Rampage
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Although the high ankle sprain is tough, I am optimistic about Pouncey's return to the field. The thing that I keep thinking of with the injury and the four to six week diagnosis that is typical, is that Pouncey only has to come back for one more game, not half a season. The ankle sprain can be a painful and limiting injury, but I feel like Pouncey's youth and determination in addition to the fact that there is only one more game, gives him a good chance.

Wonder if he will pull a Hines Ward and do the blood/hyberbaric chamber thing?

harpo
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Pittsburgh rookie center Maurkice Pouncey plans to play in Super Bowl XLV despite suffering a high ankle sprain in the Steelers' 24-19 win over the New York Jets in Sunday's AFC Championship Game, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Monday.

Pouncey says he will play (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81de2959/article/pouncey-plans-to-play-in-super-bowl-despite-ankle-sprain) :tt02::yellowthumb:

Rampage
01-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Pouncey is a friggin stud. I like this team's chances even more when he's in there.

steelersbabex25
01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Pouncey is a friggin stud. I like this team's chances even more when he's in there.

He really is. You gotta love his heart. Kinda like a, "you'll have to strap me down to keep me from getting on that field" type of attitude.

K Train
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
raji is the exact kind of player pouncey can dominate....raji is essentially casey hampton, im sure they can find a way to prepare for a casey hampton considering they practice against the real one every day

Rampage
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
He really is. You gotta love his heart. Kinda like a, "you'll have to strap me down to keep me from getting on that field" type of attitude.

Definitely. I think it was the Carolina game where he tweaked his knee and he kept trying to sneak out onto the field and the coaching staff finally just took his helmet away. I love how motivated he is.

steelersbabex25
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Definitely. I think it was the Carolina game where he tweaked his knee and he kept trying to sneak out onto the field and the coaching staff finally just took his helmet away. I love how motivated he is.

He fits the black and gold so well. Was it Ben who said we play every play like it's our last? Cause he does. He plays every play like it's his last. & you knew as soon as he was standing on the sideline with his crutches that he wouldve given anything to be back on that field.

K Train
01-24-2011, 03:22 PM
i would imagine a ton of hyperbaric, physical therapy, heat treatments and probably some game day injections to get him ready to go....i had my doubts at first, and even if he cant go you gotta love his passion.

could also throw a 53 jersey on mike and pull a fast one on the NFL

NHStlrfan
01-24-2011, 03:30 PM
He's already in the chamber! Did you see the interview with James Harrison pre-game? He has one too! If James isn't using it then I'm sure he'll let him use it! ;)

tburg68
01-24-2011, 03:44 PM
If he doesn't play in the Super Bowl, it won't be from lack of effort.

LatrobePA
01-24-2011, 03:46 PM

I was thinking the same thing! lol

steelersbabex25
01-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Hey, why not? It would be a good audition for him :hehheh:

coldrolled
01-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers All-Pro rookie center Maurkice Pouncey was wearing a hard cast over his injured right ankle and moving around gingerly on crutches Wednesday morning at the team's facility.

Pouncey sustained a high ankle sprain during Sunday's AFC title game win over the Jets, coming out of the game in the first half and watching the second half on crutches. He said after the game that the injury was similar to one he had in his left ankle, and played through, earlier in the year.

"I had the same injury before on my other ankle, and I know how to attack it. I know how to approach things," Pouncey told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Sunday.

Casting an ankle can be a procedural step to immobilize the leg and keep Pouncey from moving around.

When asked about the injury Wednesday, Pouncey declined comment.

On Sunday, Pouncey said he expected to play in Super Bowl XLV.

"I know in my heart that I'm playing in that game," Pouncey told the Tribune-Review.

Pouncey had to be helped off the field during the first quarter Sunday after Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas was pushed back into the rookie center. Thomas rolled over the back of Pouncey's leg on a 7-yard pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to Hines Ward.

Pouncey didn't put weight on the ankle as he hopped off the field with the aid of two trainers. He later was carted to the locker room, where CBS cameras showed Pouncey walking with the aid of crutches.

steelersbabex25
01-26-2011, 02:04 PM
"I know in my heart that I'm playing in that game"

I hope the coaches know that too..

Steel Trap86
01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Painful reminder of the last Superbowl when Ward had a "knee sprain" and downplayed it. Only came in for 3 or 4 series and was never seen again. I hope Pouncey can get healthy these next 2 weeks because he played such a key role in us getting where we're at! He deserves it!

LatrobePA
01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
No looking good!

SteelerCountry58
01-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Good thing he's got two weeks.
He'll be taped up,shot up and riled up come the SB.
They would have to put a bullet in him for him not to be dressed
and playing in this game. Book it!:yesnod:

K Train
01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
i dont think he'll play personally....love the passion, but i dont buy it

SteelerCountry58
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Have faith brother.:yesnod:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2011, 03:36 PM
From what I understand he's going to use Harrison or Wards hyperbaric chamber to help his healing as well.

Steel Trap86
01-26-2011, 03:44 PM
lol Harrison just swallows some gun powder with a bit of JD & broken glass and he's back in the mix.

I could never picture him missing a game over an injury

K Train
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
ive heard packers fans refer to harrison as a violent maniac

coldrolled
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM

A miracle if he gets on the field... he was hurting bad... Legursky can do it.

And as long as Ben doesnt throw an INT to Raji for a pick 6, its kinda hard to miss Raji on the field, he is as wide as two players, we should be fine.

:yellowthumb:

--- Added 1/26/2011 at 03:25 PM ---

Kemoeatu says Pouncey will miss Super Bowl
According to teammate Chris Kemoeatu, the Steelers will be without Pouncey for Super Bowl XLV against Green Bay after suffering what was initially being diagnosed as a left high ankle sprain.

Read more: Pittsburgh Steelers News, Scores, Schedules & Stats - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1CB9jpz16

LatrobePA
01-26-2011, 04:39 PM
I felt like I kept seeing Hartwig this past weekend!! I'm so use to seeing Pouncey searching and destroying, Lerg stayed home a bit too much for my liking. But maybe he'll be OK if he's included into the game plan...

K Train
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
doug isnt a second level type center....his power will be effective at staying in a phone booth with raji though

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
just heard on the fan Pouncey is out of the SB. from 93.7 the fan pittsburgh.

LatrobePA
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM
doug isnt a second level type center....his power will be effective at staying in a phone booth with raji though

True, two diffrent styles..but damn I love watching Pouncey attacking..

harpo
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Just heard that his ankle is in a cast....eventhough his x-rays came back negative. :cursin:

LarryNJ
01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Just heard that his ankle is in a cast....eventhough his x-rays came back negative. :cursin:
Yup..looks like he's out.

SteelerNC
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
:rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2:

Yup..looks like he's out.

SteelCityKid5
01-26-2011, 09:16 PM
So I heard today from multiple outlets that Pouncey was in a cast today and was on crutches. Reports say Pouncey did not even want to talk about it. On top of that, I found this: http://www.steelersgab.com/2011/01/26/keomeatu-pouncey-wont-play-in-super-bowl-xlv/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SteelersGab+(Steelers+Gab)&utm_content=Twitter

Doesnt look good. Hopefully Legursky plays the game of his life.

Clevelandsux
01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
i wouldn't call this a credible site.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2011, 09:38 PM
I got the same tweet, and I also got ones after that saying he is working hard to come back. Don't count him out. They were planning on putting him in a boot/cast pretty much all along. It's normal protocol for a high ankle sprain, especially when you are trying to come back.

Scorp
01-26-2011, 09:38 PM
www.nfl.com
By Albert Breer NFL Network
NFL Network Reporter

Chris Kemoeatu, who has started 17 of 18 games next to center Maurkice Pouncey this season, isn't optimistic his Pittsburgh Steelers linemate can recover from a high ankle sprain and play in Super Bowl XLV next week.

"It's definitely a huge loss," Kemoeatu, the Steelers' left guard, said Wednesday. "We all know what Maurkice brings to the table. He's everything you'd want a center to be, he's everywhere on the field. We've just got to let that be motivation and go out there and ball out."

Pouncey, a rookie who hasn't missed a game this season, wore a hard cast over his injured left ankle Wednesday morning and moved around gingerly on crutches at the Steelers' facility. He didn't participate in practice.

"He's definitely our tone-setter," said right tackle Willie Colon, who has missed the entire season with an Achilles' tendon injury. "For a kid so young, he's extremely mature. He prepares as if he were a vet for 12 years. ... Pouncey's kind of the blueprint for how we want our linemen to play and where we want them to be. It's gonna be a tough loss."

The Steelers confirmed that X-rays on Pouncey's ankle came back negative, meaning he didn't suffer any broken bones. Casting an ankle can be a procedural step to immobilize the leg and keep Pouncey from moving around.

Pouncey, a Pro Bowl pick in his first NFL season, sprained the ankle during Sunday's AFC title game victory over the Jets, coming out in the first half and watching the second half while on crutches. He said after the game that the injury was similar to one he had in his right ankle, and played through, earlier in the season.

"I had the same injury before on my other ankle, and I know how to attack it. I know how to approach things," Pouncey told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Sunday.

When asked about the injury Wednesday, Pouncey declined comment, although he said earlier in the week that he expected to play in the Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers.

"I know in my heart that I'm playing in that game," Pouncey told the Tribune-Review on Sunday.

Pouncey had to be helped off the field during the first quarter after Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas was pushed back into him. Thomas rolled over the back of Pouncey's leg on a 7-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Hines Ward.

Pouncey didn't put weight on the ankle as he hopped off the field with the aid of two trainers. He later was carted to the locker room, where CBS cameras showed him walking with the aid of crutches.

Doug Legursky replaced Pouncey and played well, except for a bad center-quarterback exchange that led to a Jets safety in the fourth quarter.

"We believe in Doug," Kemoeatu said Wednesday. "Obviously, Doug stepped up huge when Maurkice got hurt last week."

Colon concurred, saying: "We got a lot of trust in Doug Legursky. We know he's going to step in and do a great job."

Pouncey told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette after the game that he knew he wouldn't return to the game after the injury.

"It was the worst pain ever," he said, adding that he suffered a similar injury as a sophomore at the University of Florida but returned to play the next game.

Notes: Steelers DE Aaron Smith, who hasn't played since Week 7 because of a triceps injury, was limited in practice Wednesday. ... Safeties Will Allen (knee) and Troy Polamalu (Achilles), CB Bryant McFadden (abdomen), WR Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and OT Jonathan Scott (ribs) didn't practice.

SteelCityKid5
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
His teammate was quoted... I dont think they are making that up... Now its not official but Kemo said that hence "According to teammate" thus its credible

Scorp
01-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I got the same tweet, and I also got ones after that saying he is working hard to come back. Don't count him out. They were planning on putting him in a boot/cast pretty much all along. It's normal protocol for a high ankle sprain, especially when you are trying to come back.

Hines got injured in the 08 championship game and did everything in his power to play in the super bowl and did. He also said, "This is the super bowl, i'm not missing the super bowl."

Pouncey can and will do everything in his power to play for us February 6. :yellowthumb:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Kemo doesn't have the authority to rule anybody out of the game. Until you hear it from Coach Tomlin, don't put all your faith in this. He could be just going on something he heard, or what he thinks is the case based on what he saw.

SteelCityKid5
01-26-2011, 09:44 PM
I hope Pouncey plays and that he isnt out.. the fact that he didnt want to talk to reporters didnt make me feel any better though

Scorp
01-26-2011, 09:45 PM
The suspense is killing me softly.

Real Deal Steel
01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I'll wait until a couple of days before the game to see where he's at.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I trust this cat( JW) the AFCNorth columnist, he normally knows what he talking about, my money is on Pouncey playing, he is not gonna miss the game he been dreaming of playing in since he was a kid http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/23902/stephania-bell-on-pounceys-ankle-sprain

steeldoc
01-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Pouncey didn't say anything because coach told him to keep his mouth shut. It does not look good, but time will tell.

igor0190
01-26-2011, 11:54 PM
The hard cast concerns me a bit, but only because it makes me question if there really is MORE than a high ankle sprain. If a high ankle sprain is what it is, then he's obviously in a hard cast to completely compress and immobilize the leg for the first week. We'll know more next week monday/tuesday. :crossfingers:

Dean Denton
01-27-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm good with Doug Legursky. He'll get two weeks to practice and will do fine. sure it would be nice to have Pouncy, but it will be fine.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-27-2011, 03:26 AM
I bet Pouncey plays but don't know how long.......I just don't see Pouncey not trying to give it a go at all....Of course Tomlin could make the decision to just keep him out.....But its the Super Bowl and I would at least give Pouncey the choice......But the story of the entire season for this team has been if somebody goes down then its the next man up to meet the same expectations.......So of course I'm fine with Legursky as well especially him practicing an extra week.....

greennick
01-27-2011, 03:55 AM

Same here. 4-6 weeks rarely becomes 2 weeks with this type of injury. Particularly given how severe it seemed on the day. A high ankle sprain is very painful when not fully healed, so it will be a monumental effort to bring it down to just 2 weeks and play through the pain.

SteelDad
01-27-2011, 08:31 AM
I love Kemo, but his bedside manner needs work if he's going to be my Doctor. I'll wait until I hear from Tomlin....

LatrobePA
01-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Mind games...The packs will have to prepare for two centers with two completely diffrent styles...

I now have a feeling Pouncey will play...

pimplydan
01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Mind games for sure , Pouncey will go from doubtfull to questionable next week . We won't let the Packers know he will play till gametime .

So for us guys that just cannot wait to hear that he will play , we are going to have to be patient and hopeful.

Lets just hope he gets that cast off and starts to get some reps on the practice field next week.

If we see that , it will mean he'll play but the suspense will still go on till gametime.

:2cents:

cmerrifield
01-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Jim Wexell said that the cast was optional and the team thought it promoted faster healing, so the cast doesnt mean anything. I am sure he is doing everything he can to play, crutches, cast, probably drinking milk and taking his vitamins, everything. The reality is, its up to Tomlin and Tomlin tends to be conservative. I think Tomlin will keep him questionable and then we will know 90 minutes before the game, when the inactive list comes out. If he is active, he is playing a lot, otherwise, we cant afford to use a active roster spot for a series or two.

SteelDad
01-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Jim Wexell said that the cast was optional and the team thought it promoted faster healing, so the cast doesnt mean anything. I am sure he is doing everything he can to play, crutches, cast, probably drinking milk and taking his vitamins, everything. The reality is, its up to Tomlin and Tomlin tends to be conservative. I think Tomlin will keep him questionable and then we will know 90 minutes before the game, when the inactive list comes out. If he is active, he is playing a lot, otherwise, we cant afford to use a active roster spot for a series or two.

Nice grab on the info from Wex and good insight on the situation too.

SteelCityKid5
01-27-2011, 10:53 AM
This is like the whole Hines Ward thing all over again

Rampage
01-27-2011, 02:14 PM
A hard cast is not necessarily a sign that he's out. The hard cast and crutches may be the team's attempt at completely immobilizing the ankle in order to hasten the healing process. That, in conjunction with hyberbaric treatment and nearly two weeks of rest, may give him a shot at playing in the big game. Hey, who knows, maybe this is all being blown out of proportion and the Steelers are trying to pull a fast one.

Rampage
01-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Hopefully this kid can get through this injury. He's played big all season, it would be terrible to lose him for the biggest game.

Also, does anyone know how long it took Starks to get over his high ankle sprain this season? Was it two weeks?

Real Deal Steel
01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
All high ankle sprains are hard casted now aday. Not a big deal.

TampaSteelGirl
01-27-2011, 03:56 PM
He should definately sleep in that hyperbaric chamber Hines has for 2 wks!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Hopefully this kid can get through this injury. He's played big all season, it would be terrible to lose him for the biggest game.

Also, does anyone know how long it took Starks to get over his high ankle sprain this season? Was it two weeks?

He injured on Sept. 13th, was projected to miss 4-6 weeks and was back within 1 week. (im almost positive it was one, no more than 2 at the most).

For Pouncey it all depends on the severity. He had a similar injury in college to the other ankle and knows how to deal with it. People keep wigging about about him being in a cast. It's normal protocol to use a soft cast or hard cast in situations like this, especially when you are trying to make a quick recovery. Keep it immobilized as much as possible and then take it off a couple days before the game and see how you are.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Kemoeatu was talking to reporters today and back tracked on his statements yesterday saying "they are taking it day by day, and rehabbing" . I'm pretty certain Tomlin gave him an earful and told him to keep his mouth shut regardless of his status. Things will be more clear when the Super Bowl injury reports come out next week.

ctsteelah
01-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Mods,

Would it at all be possible to keep this thread on top? Arguably, this is the most important news nuggett out there other than if we can get to Rogers who does not get sacked alot and how well the Steelers cover Jennings, Jones, Nelson, Driver & Quarless.

Starks is a big quick back but not as bruising as Blount or Jacobs who had some success running against us.

Just thinking about Matthews, Jenkins & Raji with Shields/Woodson coming off the corner against the line is scary. Anyone have any counterarguements where I am over reacting. I am obsesswing over it and need a way to get over the potential mismatch. IF BA went turtle ball I could understand a little but he does not change with personnel and we only had about 50 yards of offense after Pouncey

Help! I need therapy

airbrake 1
01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
reports coming out that he also has a broken bone in his ankle...i was still trying to be optimistic but this new info really makes it look very doubtful we will be seeing pouncey in the super bowl

NOVA STEELERS
01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
reports coming out that he also has a broken bone in his ankle...i was still trying to be optimistic but this new info really makes it look very doubtful we will be seeing pouncey in the super bowl

:yesnod: They just announced this on NFL Network that Pittsburgh Post Gazette leaked the story :duh:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Xrays were negative when he had them done after the game..so either somebody missed something in those or the Steelers have been trying to keep it under wraps, or somebody is playing mind games.

SteelCurtainYinzer
01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Xrays were negative when he had them done after the game..so either somebody missed something in those or the Steelers have been trying to keep it under wraps, or somebody is playing mind games.

Or there was immediate swelling on the ankle and they needed to wait until it went down a bit before taking another xray. The other this could be that this is just a hairline fracture and it didn't develop on the xray right away.
Either way it is a fracture and we will need to look for Legursky to anchor the center postion. I have a lot of faith in him. After watching him again the from Sunday's game, I will bet that we are going to see him cut blocking more. He is strong and if by chance he can pull we are going to be alright.
He did get bull rushed a few times when the NYJ sent the heat up the middle but, giving him two weeks and some more reps I am not going to worry.

pimplydan
01-27-2011, 09:11 PM
here,s the link:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11027/1121114-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Well it's looking grey right now , but the steelers motto all year has been going threw alot of adversity , so I'd say it's nothing they cannot handle. The line has been patched up all year .

Backups on the offensive line have been stepping up all year and getting the job done . So lets have faith that they will do it for one more game .

StlersGuy
01-27-2011, 09:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mq3rQVN0Fk

Scorp
01-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Report: Pouncey has broken bone; McFadden skips practice

Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey has a broken bone in his left ankle along with the previously-announced high ankle sprain, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Thursday, and his status for Super Bowl XLV remains "highly doubtful."

The Steelers said Wednesday that X-rays on Pouncey's ankle came back negative. But further examination revealed the broken bone, and sources told the Post-Gazette the real concern is damage to the ligaments in his ankle.

Pouncey, a rookie who hasn't missed a game this season, has been wearing a hard cast over his injured left ankle moved around gingerly on crutches at the Steelers' facility. He was injured in the first quarter of Pittsburgh's 24-19 victory over the New York Jets in the AFC Championship Game when Jets linebacker Bryan Thomas was pushed back into his leg. He left the game and did not return.

Steelers sources say they have not yet ruled him out of the game against the Green Bay Packers, but a number of teammates remain privately skeptical that he will be healthy enough to play, the Post-Gazette reports. Teammate Chris Kemoeatu had told reporters Wednesday that Pouncey was not going to play in the Super Bowl, but he had backed off those comments Thursday.

Also not practicing for the Steelers was starting cornerback Bryant McFadden, who has a strained abdomen. McFadden also did not practice early last week, but he returned to practice Friday and played Sunday -- albeit with a somewhat reduced workload.

William Gay assumed McFadden's role as the team's No. 2 cornerback, and Doug Legursky replaced Pouncey.

There was no change in the Steelers' injury status from Wednesday to Thursday: All Pro safety Troy Polamalu (Achilles), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot), left tackle Jonathan Scott (ribs) and special teamer Will Allen (knee) all did not practice again, but Allen is the only one of that group with an injury expected to be serious enough to put his status for the Feb. 6 Super Bowl in question.

Defensive end Aaron Smith continues to be limited in practice participation, as he has been for the past three weeks. He has not played since tearing a triceps Oct. 24 and is not expected to be ready to face the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl.

www.nfl.com

SteelCityKid5
01-27-2011, 10:23 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/27/pouncey-has-broken-bone-in-ankle/

Well this isnt good news. I dont know how he is going to play on this. Legursky it is.

igor0190
01-27-2011, 11:31 PM
The bone in the ankle still isnt the major problem... It's the high ankle sprain and the ligaments that are the problem.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Players have played with broken bones in their foot, it's nothing new. Hell Ben has been doing it for weeks now. The broken bone isn't the main issue, as igor said, it's how fast the sprain heels and/or how much pain he can take when the game starts.

UKSTEELER
01-28-2011, 04:49 AM
If Pouncey could play, . . . lets be honest, he wouldn't be playing at 100%.

Legs will be starting.

ctsteelah
01-28-2011, 05:34 AM
I remember Jim Kelly playing with a broken/separated shoulder somehow but unfortunately he had to be drugged. If there is zero risk for further injury then maybe this could be an option?

When I hurt my back/spine I literally had trouble breathing where I would almost pass out. The doc prescribed some type of pain killer/muscle tranquillizer/anti inflammatory cocktail and I literally felt no pain and was even able to do manual labor.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Pouncey is out of the hard cast and back in a soft boot now. No updates beyond that but it's a good sign.

SteelerDave74
01-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Pouncey is out of the hard cast and back in a soft boot now. No updates beyond that but it's a good sign.

Honestly, I really think Pouncey is going to suit up and play. He can't miss the first opportunity of a lifetime to play in the Super Bowl. I am sure they will drug him up good and make that foot numb for the entire game. Just hope he don't damage it further. We need him bad. He anchors and pretty much holds that line together. We really need the protection for Ben to work his magic on the Packs. I am pumped and ready. You know too bad, I couldn't lend my 290 lbs butt to the Steelers and anchor the line. I would be so pumped up, I make darn sure no Packer get through me. It would take two to plummet me.

harpo
01-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Honestly, I really think Pouncey is going to suit up and play. He can't miss the first opportunity of a lifetime to play in the Super Bowl. I am sure they will drug him up good and make that foot numb for the entire game. Just hope he don't damage it further. We need him bad. He anchors and pretty much holds that line together. We really need the protection for Ben to work his magic on the Packs. I am pumped and ready. You know too bad, I couldn't lend my 290 lbs butt to the Steelers and anchor the line. I would be so pumped up, I make darn sure no Packer get through me. It would take two to plummet me.

I think he's going to play as well. He was quite confident in his initial statement about playing in the Super Bowl. He said he's had that type of injury before, and he knows his body better than anyone.

Rampage
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Again, cautiously optimistic, but I don't really look at the broken bone like a deal breaker. It doesn't sound like a catastrophic break or fracture, maybe it's just a chip or the ligament took some bone off. The sprain is the potential deal breaker and with this kid's work ethic and drive I feel confident that he will do all in his power to get into SB45.

NHStlrfan
01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Heard today about the broken bone. ESPN is all over this as him not playing. I'm still not sure this isn't a ploy to work the head games. Also appears they are having Trai Essex practice behind Legursky as the number 2 center. Not sure of my opinion on that yet. Could be head games or could be the real plan. Thoughts?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-28-2011, 02:55 PM
The dude has all offseason to heal up from a broken bone or high ankle sprain. Shoot him up, drug him up, do whatever but get his rear end on the field next Sunday evening, LOL. If he can walk my bet is on him playing too.

Rampage
01-28-2011, 03:01 PM
The dude has all offseason to heal up from a broken bone or high ankle sprain. Shoot him up, drug him up, do whatever but get his rear end on the field next Sunday evening, LOL. If he can walk my bet is on him playing too.

This is my thought. It's not like he has to heal up to finish the last 8 games of the season. One game left and it is the biggest of them all. Tape it up and shoot it up.

NHStlrfan
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM

My guess is if there's any possibility that he can play he will. Even if it requires heavy medication, tape, a brace or whatever, this kid's in the game making an impact.

SteelerDave74
01-28-2011, 03:21 PM

:yellowthumb::yellowthumb::yellowthumb: Absolutely, Matt!!!

StlersGuy
01-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Can you call Tomlin and tell him this plz..:yesnod:

*Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk Pro.

steelersbabex25
01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
While I was sitting watching this all unfold, no internet, I was DYING to get on SA to discuss Pouncey with everybody on here. But I have like 5 pages of Pouncey to read on this thread and I have a lot of other catching up to do, so I'll be back :yellowthumb: :lol:

Rampage
01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
While I was sitting watching this all unfold, no internet, I was DYING to get on SA to discuss Pouncey with everybody on here. But I have like 5 pages of Pouncey to read on this thread and I have a lot of other catching up to do, so I'll be back :yellowthumb: :lol:

No internet? Where the hell do you live, Egypt?

:greengrin:

steelersbabex25
01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
No internet? Where the hell do you live, Egypt?

:greengrin:

Nope, Maryland. The land of the freak snow storms.

SteelerDave74
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Nope, Maryland. The land of the freak snow storms.

In the middle of the smack between Ratbirds and Redskins. UGH. I feel for you.

Woodson_DownUnder
01-28-2011, 08:34 PM
He will play mark it down.

Ain't gonna happen. Broken Bone in left ankle says so.

SteelDad
01-28-2011, 08:37 PM
Once again, when Mike Tomlin decides, then I'll know if he is playing or not.Till then, not worrying about it.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2011, 09:10 AM
50-50 chance that he'll play according to yesterday's first official injury report, he's listed as questionable.

Prosdo
01-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I really feel for Pouncey. This guy is an absolute stud. Works his tail off all season. Then might miss playing in the Super Bowl. I hope he plays because he deserves to play in this game.

tburg68
01-29-2011, 10:06 AM
I really feel for Pouncey. This guy is an absolute stud. Works his tail off all season. Then might miss playing in the Super Bowl. I hope he plays because he deserves to play in this game.

AMEN!!!

coldrolled
01-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Ain't gonna happen. Broken Bone in left ankle says so.

I think Ben is still running pretty good with a broken bone in his ankle/foot.

I think the ligaments and tendons are more of a concern. i have not heard of any tears..

If it is functional and the pain and swelling can be reduced with drugs. he may play.

:imho:

nuclearchihuahuas
01-29-2011, 12:58 PM

I think if the tibia were broken in half he'd still play. If it isn't in his or the team's best interest, I'm willing to bet they have to drug him to knock him down (and possibly tie him up) so he doesn't play. :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-29-2011, 10:16 PM
The broken bone in his ankle is not the issue here, it hasn't been since it was diagnosed. He can play on a broken bone, it's the sprain that will determine it.

Steel Trap86
01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Just saw it on NFL countdown. Adam Schefter says Pouncey is listed as questionable, but is really out against the Packers. Wouldn't have posted unless it was Schefter.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/30/maurkice-pouncey-listed-as-questionable-but-really-out/

steelersbabex25
01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

twag
01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
man, thats really bad news! but he still has one week yet. you never know! he will definitely be a cheerleader!ha ha.:tt02::cope:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Guys guys guys, and gals :lol: Pouncey is not listed as out. Just because Kemo said doesn't mean it's true. Relax, he's listed as questionable and we will know more when the official injury report comes out next Thursday. He's not out until Tomlin says he's out.

Merging this one in with the Pouncey thread.

lloydfan4life
01-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Pouncey is out... just announced on NFL Network. Doug will start. :(

I feel so bad for the kid. This just means he'll be twice as hungry next year. :cope:

Steel Trap86
01-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Guys guys guys, and gals :lol: Pouncey is not listed as out. Just because Kemo said doesn't mean it's true. Relax, he's listed as questionable and we will know more when the official injury report comes out next Thursday. He's not out until Tomlin says he's out.

Merging this one in with the Pouncey thread.

He is listed as questionable, but Schefter says he's out.

http://twitter.com/adamschefter

Sir Blitzelot
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Even though Maurkice will be missed, I have confidence that Doug will step up and fill Maurkice's shoes. As coach Tomlin says, "The standard is the standard". :yesnod:

AZ_Steeler
01-30-2011, 04:07 PM
I just heard he is officially list as OUT FOR THE SUPER BOWL! :dunno: no link...

Steel Trap86
01-30-2011, 04:31 PM
NFL.com is reporting it now.

The Pittsburgh Steelers won't have rookie center Maurkice Pouncey in Super Bowl XLV next weekend because of a broken bone and a high sprain in his left ankle, ESPN reported Sunday, citing a league source.

The Steelers are scheduled to arrive in Dallas on Monday, then continue preparations for the Feb. 6 game against the Green Bay Packers.

Steelers left guard Chris Kemoeatu said Wednesday that Pouncey, who wore a hard cast over his injured ankle, wouldn't play, but he backtracked on those comments the next day. Steelers right tackle Willie Colon also said Wednesday that Pouncey had been ruled out of the game.

The Steelers confirmed Wednesday that X-rays on Pouncey's ankle came back negative, but the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Thursday that a later examination revealed a broken bone.

With Pouncey out, second-year pro Doug Legursky would start at center for the Steelers. He replaced Pouncey in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game and made one mistake, botching a center-quarterback exchange that led to a New York Jets safety in the fourth quarter.

"We believe in Doug," Kemoeatu said Wednesday. "Obviously, Doug stepped up huge when Maurkice got hurt last week."

Colon concurred, saying: "We got a lot of trust in Doug Legursky. We know he's going to step in and do a great job."

Pouncey had to be helped off the field against the Jets after linebacker Bryan Thomas was pushed back into him. Thomas rolled over the back of Pouncey's leg on a 7-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Hines Ward.

Pouncey didn't put weight on the ankle as he hopped off the field with the aid of two trainers. He later was carted to the locker room, where CBS cameras showed him walking with the aid of crutches.

Pouncey, a first-round draft pick out of Florida, hasn't missed a game all season and received Pro Bowl honors for his solid play with the AFC North champions. He vowed after the Jets game that he would play in the Super Bowl.

chisteeler
01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I also just heard on the NFL network that he is out and Doug is in. Well, let's see what this "Band of Brothers" is made of come Sunday! Maybe a few wrinkles and some other unseen surprises. I don't doubt Doug's determination and desire, just his effectiveness. I will now be on pins and needles until Sunday. Go Steelers!

Rampage
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM
I am still holding out hope for good news in the official Steelers injury report on Thursday, but it seems like it is getting harder every day with these updates.

One thing's for sure: This team probably couldn't have dealt with more o-line injuries in one season. If this group plays well in the big game, I feel safe saying that Kugler will be around for a while.

pimplydan
01-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Now I heard it on tv at the end of the probowl game that Maurkice Pouncey will not play in the superbowl .
For me , I take that as confirmative , He will not play .

Bradshaw says Legursky will be fine.

steelersbabex25
01-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Now I heard it on tv at the end of the probowl game that Maurkice Pouncey will not play in the superbowl .

:duh: Bradshaw.

Steel Trap86
01-30-2011, 10:56 PM

Bradshaw looks like my old baseball glove. I don't think he even knows what year it is. I can't believe he's still in broadcasting either, he sounded like he was going senial today.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Again, until Tomlin confirms it, don't believe anything. The Steelers have said nothing about Pouncey since the injury happened for a reason...

greennick
01-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Again, until Tomlin confirms it, don't believe anything. The Steelers have said nothing about Pouncey since the injury happened for a reason...

I guess even Shefter is wrong sometimes. Those times are just few and far between....

SteelerDave74
01-31-2011, 12:03 AM

I am the same way. I don't believe a damn thing the media says. I hear from the actual source.

Scorp
01-31-2011, 01:55 AM
By Albert Breer NFL Network
NFL Network Reporter

The Pittsburgh Steelers have listed Maurkice Pouncey as questionable for next weekend's Super Bowl. But the truth, a source with knowledge of the situation said Sunday, is that it's "highly doubtful" the Pro Bowl rookie center will dress for the game.

In addition to a high sprain, Pouncey has a fracture in his left ankle. He spent the week on crutches with his left leg in a hard plaster cast, although that is procedural to a certain degree to immobilize the ankle.

The Steelers are scheduled to arrive in Dallas on Monday, then continue preparations for next Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers.

Steelers left guard Chris Kemoeatu said Wednesday that Pouncey wouldn't play, but he backtracked on those comments the next day. Steelers right tackle Willie Colon also said Wednesday that Pouncey had been ruled out of the game.

With Pouncey out, second-year pro Doug Legursky would start at center for the Steelers. He replaced Pouncey in the first quarter of last Sunday's AFC Championship Game and made one mistake, botching a center-quarterback exchange that led to a New York Jets safety in the fourth quarter.

Pouncey had to be helped off the field against the Jets after linebacker Bryan Thomas was pushed into him. Thomas rolled over the back of Pouncey's leg on a 7-yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger to Hines Ward.

Pouncey, a first-round draft pick out of Florida, hasn't missed a game all season and received Pro Bowl honors for his solid play with the AFC North champions. He vowed after the Jets game that he would play in the Super Bowl.

coldrolled
01-31-2011, 07:34 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl rookie center Maurkice Pouncey will not play in Super Bowl XLV, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Pouncey suffered a high ankle sprain and broken bone in his left ankle in the first quarter of the Steelers' 24-19 win over the New York Jets in the 2010 AFC Championship Game.

Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu had let it slip last week that Pouncey wouldn't play, so today's report confirms what was already known: The task of controlling Green Bay Packers nose tackle B.J. Raji, and picking up Clay Matthews on inside loops, will fall to Doug Legursky, a third-year undrafted free agent out of Marshall.

"I'll be ready if I have to go," Legursky told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette early last week. "I'm ready every week."

DIESELMAN
01-31-2011, 08:12 AM
I've read it on ESPN, NFL.com and SCI, that Pouncey is out and will not play. The Steelers, especially the rest of the OL has 100% confidence in Legursky. Afterall, it's Legursky who taught Pouncey most of what he knows. If it was me as OC, very first series, I would call running plays up the middle, stick it to Raji hard and often, let him know it's going to be a looooooong ****ing day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelerDave74
01-31-2011, 08:33 AM
I've read it on ESPN, NFL.com and SCI, that Pouncey is out and will not play. The Steelers, especially the rest of the OL has 100% confidence in Legursky. Afterall, it's Legursky who taught Pouncey most of what he knows. If it was me as OC, very first series, I would call running plays up the middle, stick it to Raji hard and often, let him know it's going to be a looooooong ****ing day!!!

Great Post!

coldrolled
01-31-2011, 08:48 AM

BA will for sure... He will send Moore right up at him...

BlitzburghRockCity
01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Tomlin did a short presser at the team hotel this afternoon and did NOT rule out Pouncey. This is what I've been saying and will keep saying, you don't rule a guy out until Tomlin says so..period!

Tomlin won't rule out injured Steelers center Pouncey
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) coach Mike Tomlin isn't ruling out Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey (http://www.nfl.com/players/maurkicepouncey/profile?id=POU550260) for this weekend's Super Bowl despite the rookie walking on crutches with a high ankle sprain.

NFL Network insider Albert Breer cited a source with knowledge of the situation in reporting Sunday (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d81e009da) that Pouncey is "highly doubtful" to play against the Green Bay Packers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB).
Pouncey injured his left ankle during the Steelers' victory over the New York Jets (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ) in the AFC Championship Game last Sunday. Pouncey didn't practice last week, and Tomlin said Monday in Fort Worth, Texas, that the Steelers are taking a "very aggressive" approach with the center's rehabilitation.
Tomlin added that Pouncey is "not on a running clock" until Wednesday -- the team's first practice before the Super Bowl.
Pouncey also has a broken bone in the ankle. Tomlin told reporters he's "sure it could be characterized as that."
Backup Doug Legursky (http://www.nfl.com/players/douglegursky/profile?id=LEG780748) would fill in for Pouncey if the rookie can't go.

StlersGuy
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Duct tape it, shot him up with pain meds but do what ever it takes to get his *** out there

*Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk Pro.

Rampage
01-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Tomlin did a short presser at the team hotel this afternoon and did NOT rule out Pouncey. This is what I've been saying and will keep saying, you don't rule a guy out until Tomlin says so..period!

Tomlin won't rule out injured Steelers center Pouncey
Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) coach Mike Tomlin isn't ruling out Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey (http://www.nfl.com/players/maurkicepouncey/profile?id=POU550260) for this weekend's Super Bowl despite the rookie walking on crutches with a high ankle sprain.

NFL Network insider Albert Breer cited a source with knowledge of the situation in reporting Sunday (http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d81e009da) that Pouncey is "highly doubtful" to play against the Green Bay Packers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/greenbaypackers/profile?team=GB).
Pouncey injured his left ankle during the Steelers' victory over the New York Jets (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkjets/profile?team=NYJ) in the AFC Championship Game last Sunday. Pouncey didn't practice last week, and Tomlin said Monday in Fort Worth, Texas, that the Steelers are taking a "very aggressive" approach with the center's rehabilitation.
Tomlin added that Pouncey is "not on a running clock" until Wednesday -- the team's first practice before the Super Bowl.
Pouncey also has a broken bone in the ankle. Tomlin told reporters he's "sure it could be characterized as that."
Backup Doug Legursky (http://www.nfl.com/players/douglegursky/profile?id=LEG780748) would fill in for Pouncey if the rookie can't go.

Hope, motherf*****, you speak it.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR49KhQtKs--_9LvZbnwh18Io8ysCZjG8vpzsWhaKOWGlNV7fnP

Scorp
01-31-2011, 06:46 PM
All i have to say is i have a good feeling he'll play.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 10:26 AM
We won't hear much today about Pouncey, Tomlin won't make any statements about him until atleast Wednesday.

Scorp
02-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't second that.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Pouncey talked today that he is 75% yes to playing, 25% no to playing. there is no broken bone, only the sprain.

He said he is feeling pretty good, he is going to do some work on the bike today and see how it feels in the next few days.

This why again and again everybody flips out saying Oh he's not playing, no way. maybe he still won't but you heard it from the man himself and from Tomlin. He's not ruled out yet.

Troyisabeast_43
02-01-2011, 05:18 PM
They showed him walking around today in the boot and he was able to walk and move around it appeared pretty normally and put a lot of weight on his foot. He says he has been getting up at 5 AM every morning to begin his rehab and has been icing it a lot everyday and is hoping to get on the bike either today or tomorrow. You gotta figure that is a great sign seeing Pouncey being able to walk and put a lot of weight on that foot and it's still 5 days or so before the game. If his rehab continues to go well there is no reason not to think after seeing him today that he will not be able to play on Sunday...

Rampage
02-01-2011, 05:24 PM
What I liked about today's presser with Pouncey:

1) He looked confident and optimistic in his potential to play in the big game.
2) He was not using crutches or canes.
3) He's using the boot, not a hard cast.
4) He said it looks like he'll be able to use this bike and move around on it.

Here's to hoping that the next four days lead to even more progress.

Steelers_All_Day_43
02-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Ill praying for him. You never wanna see a player work so hard to get here and not play in the big game.

pimplydan
02-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Ill praying for him. You never wanna see a player work so hard to get here and not play in the big game.

That's what I say .................I'm praying along:crossfingers:

roosterray
02-01-2011, 09:58 PM
If TO can recover from a broken leg and play in the super bowl.

Pouncey can play after a sprain. He's been on leg lock down since and he knows how to heal it. Don't move it for 10 days. Its key to recovery not coming back fast and just letting it heal. He's a smart Kat. He'll kick some GB ***.

ctsteelah
02-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I am dating myself but Jack Youngblood DE for the Rams in the Super Bowl against the Steelers actually played pretty effectively with a broken leg.

JensK
02-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Pouncey can play after a sprain. He's been on leg lock down since and he knows how to heal it. Don't move it for 10 days. Its key to recovery not coming back fast and just letting it heal. He's a smart Kat. He'll kick some GB ***.

Depending on how it's "broken", sprains can often be worse and harder to play on. Obviously, as a line-men, it's worse for him than for a WR, as he uses his feet to anchor, but a WR, and as Ben proved, QBs can play on a broken foot, depending on how its broken.

LatrobePA
02-02-2011, 08:31 AM
He'll need to be able to hold his own against BJ lardass..

Rampage
02-02-2011, 10:52 AM
He'll need to be able to hold his own against BJ lardass..

Now I am going to picture the fat kid from Stand By Me during the game.

bensshoes
02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Pouncey is a Beast. he will not only play he'll dominate. The next 10-15 years with this guy running the line are gonna be awesome!

:plus1:

steelersbabex25
02-02-2011, 03:00 PM

A high ankle sprain is probably one of the worst ankle injuries you can have. Could very well be a lot a lot a lot worse than a break. Sidney Crosby was out almost 2 months back in '08 because of a high ankle sprain. Fleury was out for a couple months last year as well if I remember correctly. It's a nasty nasty injury, especially if it's a bad sprain.

LatrobePA
02-02-2011, 03:03 PM
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sprainsstrains/a/syndesmosis.htm

coldrolled
02-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Pouncey is a Beast. he will not only play he'll dominate. The next 10-15 years with this guy running the line are gonna be awesome!

:plus1:

Pouncey Sheds Boot, Will Try to Practice Friday
Pittsburgh Steelers Pro Bowl rookie center Maurkice Pouncey has shed his crutches and walking boot on his left ankle, and will attempt to practice on Friday.

"If I'm not on the field Friday, most likely I'm not playing," Pouncey said, according to Albert Breer of the NFL Network. "I'm not going to put the team in a bad position."

Pouncey suffered a high ankle sprain, and reportedly a broken bone, in his left ankle during the 2010 AFC Championship Game.

Third-year center Doug Legursky would start if Pouncey is unable to play.

airbrake 1
02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
seen some video of him walking around without crutches today, he was stilll wearing the boot, and it appeared as if he was putting his weight on it and didn't look to be limping...he said he was going to ride the stationary bike this morning to see how it feels...i firmly believe the is going to attempt to suit up for this game... you could just hear it in his voice...i wonder if they might try to give him a shot of novocaine in it perhaps saturday to see if he can function with a partially numb leg, because i remember a while back when they tried to give jerome bettis a numbing shot before a game and it turned into a disaster...i for one hope he plays

Rampage
02-02-2011, 06:21 PM
A high ankle sprain is probably one of the worst ankle injuries you can have. Could very well be a lot a lot a lot worse than a break. Sidney Crosby was out almost 2 months back in '08 because of a high ankle sprain. Fleury was out for a couple months last year as well if I remember correctly. It's a nasty nasty injury, especially if it's a bad sprain.

Pshh. Sidney Crosby has been out how long with a concussion? Jason Taylor played through a half with one and then played a second game six days later. I question the toughness of hockey players as I sit behind my keyboard and bench 1000 pounds raw and am renowned for my ability to kick *** in street fights. I am also the lovechild of Chuck Norris and Rambo.

--- Added 2/2/2011 at 05:21 PM ---

Looks like Pouncey is out of the boot and shooting to suit up for Friday's practice. :cope:

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e11875/article/steelers-pouncey-sheds-boot-says-he-must-practice-by-friday?module=HP_headlines

steelersbabex25
02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Pshh. Sidney Crosby has been out how long with a concussion? Jason Taylor played through a half with one and then played a second game six days later. I question the toughness of hockey players

You question the toughness of hockey players? You watch the NFL and you question the toughness of hockey players? I have never once seen a football player get 10 stitches in his cheek at halftime and come back and play the second half. I'm not one of those NFL sucks NHL rocks advocates, but come on. You can't actually watch hockey and question the toughness of hockey players. :OA02:

Say what you want about Sidney Crosby or whoever, a high ankle sprain is a serious, killer injury. That's a fact. No disputing that.

steel4me2
02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Looking more and more like maybe he'll play.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e11875/article/steelers-pouncey-sheds-boot-says-he-must-practice-by-friday?module=HP_headlines

Phenomenal TJ
02-03-2011, 01:11 AM
If he's limping...if he's not as quick on the pull...if he can't rock back into pass protection without wincing...I do not want to see him on the field, because he becomes a liability. I know he's got the heart of a champion, and he's a fighter, but...he has to be able to hold his own against Raji, and by hold his own, I mean dominate, or else Legursky's the better play.

greennick
02-03-2011, 10:13 AM
He's still limping quite a bit in there. Has a long way to go to practice on Friday...

Rampage
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
You question the toughness of hockey players? You watch the NFL and you question the toughness of hockey players? I have never once seen a football player get 10 stitches in his cheek at halftime and come back and play the second half. I'm not one of those NFL sucks NHL rocks advocates, but come on. You can't actually watch hockey and question the toughness of hockey players. :OA02:

Say what you want about Sidney Crosby or whoever, a high ankle sprain is a serious, killer injury. That's a fact. No disputing that.

Ghost text in my post. You did not read it.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Tomlin said today that it's getting to be the witching hour for Pouncey...he needs to show Tomlin something soon if he wants to try and play.

steelers4life66
02-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Lets face facts guys. Pouncy isn't going to play.

greennick
02-03-2011, 09:27 PM
The article on Pouncey referred to above:

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Maurkice Pouncey didn't practice for the second consecutive day, leading Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin to declare "it's getting to be the witching hour" for his injured rookie center.

"He's going to have to show us something very soon," Tomlin said Thursday at Texas Christian University's Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility.

Pouncey, who suffered a high left ankle sprain two weeks ago, has said if he doesn't practice Friday, he will not play in Sunday's Super Bowl against the Green Bay Packers. Backup center Doug Legursky would replace the Pro Bowler, as he did in the AFC Championship Game victory over the New York Jets.

Defensive end Aaron Smith, idle since Oct. 24 because of a torn triceps, again was limited in practice and didn't participate in any scrimmage work.

It isn't known if Pouncey and Smith can play, but quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looked more than ready at Thursday's practice. He threw touchdown passes on four consecutive red-zone plays, hitting Mike Wallace, Hines Ward, Heath Miller and Emmanuel Sanders.

"I'm glad we were sharp, but I'm not sure it really means anything for the game," Tomlin said. "I've seen us practice great on Thursday and play poorly on Sunday, and then I've seen us practice not worth anything Thursday and then come out and play great."

Notes: The Steelers mostly worked on nickel and red-zone offensive and defensive situations for exactly two hours. ... Ryan Clark intercepted two passes, and Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu each picked off one against scout-team QBs Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch. ... TCU coach Gary Patterson attended practice, with some assistants and players from his Rose Bowl championship team. "To have the Steelers out here at our facility is awesome and great for our program," Patterson said. "A lot of their guys have picked up our (Rose Bowl) trophy and been impressed with it."

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/09000d5d81e17cd8/article/tomlin-steelers-need-to-see-progress-from-ailing-pouncey?module=HP_headlines

Goodfrom55
02-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Legursky will have to get the job done, bottom line. He is a powerful guy with good hands, and thankfully he has been getting a lot of reps over the past 2 weeks along with some good game experience vs the Jets. Pouncey will be missed, but the Steelers will be fine. He's not Pouncey, but he's still better than Hartwig.

Ben actually said Legursky did a great job making protection calls and recognizing defenses during the jet game. Kugler has done a great job making sure guys are interchangeable through the season, stands to reason he did the same thign here with Legursky.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Nothing yet on Pouncey, the Players are at practice and meetings now. Perhaps later this afternoon we'll get an update.

Steel Trap86
02-04-2011, 09:52 AM
My expectations are in check

LatrobePA
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Tomlin was very please with Lerg saying he was getting to the second level and blocking well. I think we're in good hands if my boy can't go...

TampaSteelGirl
02-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Tomlin was very please with Lerg saying he was getting to the second level and blocking well. I think we're in good hands if my boy can't go...

I'm ok with Doug playing too..I hear he's the strongest guy on the team, he lifts more than Harrison :dunno: but I don't want Pouncey if he's not 100%..further his injury and possibly ruin his career or getting Ben hurt...If Doug is out there the Packers will underestimate his ability...that will be a bad thing for them...we need someone out there that is 100%.....I just feel bad for Pouncey..after a GREAT year and can't play in the big show...

I say...put the boy out there a couple snaps just so he can say he played and bring him back on the sideline...IMO

LatrobePA
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm ok with Doug playing too..I hear he's the strongest guy on the team, he lifts more than Harrison :dunno: but I don't want Pouncey if he's not 100%..further his injury and possibly ruin his career or getting Ben hurt...If Doug is out there the Packers will underestimate his ability...that will be a bad thing for them...we need someone out there that is 100%.....I just feel bad for Pouncey..after a GREAT year and can't play in the big show...

I say...put the boy out there a couple snaps just so he can say he played and bring him back on the sideline...IMO

We are 2nd in the league rushing up the gut, with out Pouncey this year we wouldn't be in the SB IMO, I feel bad for the kid too!

TampaSteelGirl
02-04-2011, 11:05 AM
We are 2nd in the league rushing up the gut, with out Pouncey this year we wouldn't be in the SB IMO, I feel bad for the kid too!

OH I agree totally however, Doug has had 2 wks to practice and did a great job against the Jets...This is where the Steelers players will step up and be the heros...we've done it before...:tt02:

Rampage
02-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I am still holding out hope for Pouncey. That said, if he cannot go, Legursky is a quality backup. The guy has a 705 pound raw squat and a hang clean of 430. Not world record caliber lifts, but outstanding nonetheless. While he may not be as athletic as Pouncey, I have always liked Doug due to his strength which I feel allows him to overcome weaknesses that may exist in his reads and/or footwork.

Scorp
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
www.nfl.com

DALLAS -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was noncommittal Friday morning as to whether or not Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey would practice -- and thus play -- in Super Bowl XLV against the Green Bay Packers.

"I'll let you know when we practice," Tomlin said at his morning news conference. "I'm sure he's over there working, trying to prepare himself."

Tomlin reiterated that Pouncey, who hasn't practiced for two weeks since sustaining a high ankle sprain, must practice Friday in order to play Sunday. The Steelers were scheduled to practice at Texas Christian University in Fort Worth at noon ET.

Backup center Doug Legursky would replace the rookie Pouncey, as he did in the AFC Championship Game victory over the New York Jets.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said his team isn't focused on whether Pouncey or Legursky plays.

"We're preparing for their offense," McCarthy said. "I don't think their protection schemes or offense will change depending on who plays center.

"(Quarterback) Ben Roethlisberger is going to make that offense go."

SteelersGirlTN7
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Just saw breaking news on ESPN 5 minutes ago .. Pouncey is OUT.. he did not practice today ..

So Doug Legursky it is! I feel bad for Pouncey though, he was so great this year and then to not be able to play in the SB :(

I STILL BELIEVE!!! :-)

LatrobePA
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Just saw breaking news on ESPN 5 minutes ago .. Pouncey is OUT.. he did not practice today ..

So Doug Legursky it is! I feel bad for Pouncey though, he was so great this year and then to not be able to play in the SB :(

POOP! I do however think Legursky is able to take care of biz!!

steelersbabex25
02-04-2011, 03:23 PM

I was just about to post this.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
The news should be coming down shortly online if it's not there already. Assuming Legursky plays now, I've got confidence in him to get it down. He's been working at this for 2 weeks now and off and on all year. He'll be fine.

i do feel bad for Pouncey though, he's worked so hard.

franktillo
02-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Mike Tomlin has stated Maurkice Pouncey is out for the Super Bowl.

Troyisabeast_43
02-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I think Doug L will do just fine. Him and Ben have had 2 full weeks now to work on the QB center exchange so I dont expect there to be any problems what so ever in the game with that like there was in the AFC Championship game against the Jets. Guys on this offensive line have been going down all season long. Willie Colon before the season started, and then Max Starks almost halfway through the season. Guys have stepped in all season long on this makeshift offensive line and done their job. It will be no different this Sunday with Legursky. He will do his job and I expect him to perform very well in Pouncey's absence...

LarryNJ
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
The entire line team will now play a little harder. This team is a very close family. They have been through a lot of BS this year and I believe it's made them better. They will overcome this hurdle and Pouncy will be celebrating with them Sunday night and into Monday and beyond.

There is no over confidence..it's more of a team on a mission and nothing will stop them now.

GO STEELERS!

DanRooney
02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Now who are we going to activate in his place?

Just a waste of Thaddeus Gibson trying to hope for a miracle recovery for Aaron Smith. You can't recover from a torn muscle in 2 months.

franktillo
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Without Maurkice in the lineup will the Steelers be able to sign Dorian Brooks from the practice squad? This would make sense since the only backup for the big Legursky is Trai Essex, who also backs up Foster and Kemoeatu. Brooks could be an emergency plug-in for the guard position.

chisteeler
02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Well in the infamous words of Jake Taylor from Major League "Well then, there's only one thing left to do...Win the whole f**kin' thing!"

The Standard is the Standard...
Go Steelers!

Goodfrom55
02-04-2011, 04:36 PM

Just a waste of Thaddeus Gibson trying to hope for a miracle recovery for Aaron Smith. You can't recover from a torn muscle in 2 months.

Was thinking the same thing.

Probably activate Tony Hills.

Rampage
02-04-2011, 04:59 PM
So much for holding out hope. Looks like this team will have to overcome yet another big injury.

Good luck Legursky! :cope:

Troyisabeast_43
02-04-2011, 05:42 PM

In the end, it was worth a shot at least so I cant blame the Steelers for taking a chance and hoping Smith would be ready to play by the Super Bowl. It just didnt work out in the end and the injury was just too much to overcome. In a few more years, I dont think we are going to look back and be punching in walls around our houses because we got rid of Thaddeus Gibson to see if Aaron Smith could play in the Super Bowl. Like I said it was well worth the risk and it just didnt work out in the end. It will make it all the more special to win this game for Aaron Smith as well is how I am viewing it...He is an important part of this team more then people will give him credit for. He is a big reason I believe that Ziggy Hood has come in and played so well seeing that he has been under Smith's guidance for a few years now...

Rampage
02-04-2011, 06:29 PM

I was surprised that they did not cut Arnaz Battle, Will Allen, or Chris Scott in his place. While I am happy for the aforementioned players, I do not see the logic behind cutting a young player with a lot of potential in order to retain players that are in a "what you see is what you get" point of their careers and will probably be gone next season anyway.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2011, 10:29 AM
The Smith injury honestly doesn't affect us that much, we haven't had him on the field for so long that we're more than capable of winning this without him.

Rampage
02-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Pouncey on IR, Dorian Brooks signed

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721602.html

The Steelers have placed center Maurkice Pouncey on injured reserve and signed guard Dorian Brooks to their 53-man roster.

Pouncey started every game this season but the Steelers ruled him out for the Super Bowl because of a high ankle sprain.

The 6-2, 306-pound Brooks has been on the Steelers’ practice squad all season. He signed with the team last April as an undrafted free agent out of James Madison.

86WARD
02-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Good move...

Ibleedblk&gld
02-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Pouncey on IR, Dorian Brooks signed

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_721602.html

just put a thread up about this...completely forgot about this thread...iFail

BlitzburghRockCity
02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
You gotta feel so bad for Maurkice, this kid came in and took over the Center position and owned it. Now in the biggest game of his life he has to watch from the sidelines. We'll get this one for ya man!!