PDA

View Full Version : PITTSBURGH'S GOIN TO THE SUPER BOWL

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 09:49 PM
I'VE GOT A FEELIN...PITTSBURGH'S GOIN TO THE SUPER BOWL!!
STAIRWAY TO 7!!
:towelwave:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/223/tomlintrophy.jpg

Bucsfan4ever
01-23-2011, 09:52 PM
CONGRATS, STEELER FANS!!!:cope:

steelersbabex25
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StlersGuy
Hell ya.... Bring on the fudge packers

*Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk Pro.

Farrior Fan
01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
I'll take it, just have to wonder how many GB will be favored by. I'm guessing 5 1/2

nuclearchihuahuas
01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
YEAH!!!!!!! SUPER BOWL BOUND!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 09:57 PM
My damn internet went down right after that first down!!!! Super Bowl bound baby!!!!

steelersbabex25
So excited to go up to Pittsburgh and spend a few days there for Superbowl weekend. :woot:

BlacknGold Bleeder
Hope the first half STEELERS go,LOL CONGRATS STEELERS !!

SteelerDan43
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I'll take it, just have to wonder how many GB will be favored by. I'm guessing 5 1/2

I would bet we are the early 3 pt favorite, they played like crap against the bears. At least we had one good half...

North Steel
01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
HEY Rex how's the cheese burger:nahnah:SUPER BOWL BOUND:tt02::cope::greenbounce2::banana::clap:

StlersGuy
01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Did this really happen are we going to the SUPER BOWL.... :cope: someone pinch me

nuclearchihuahuas
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Dan Rooney is really looking old

--- Added 1/23/2011 at 09:01 PM ---

Did this really happen are we going to the SUPER BOWL.... :cope: someone pinch me

PINCH! Yep its real!

SteelDad
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Props to BA for making the call and to BR and Antonio for executing

steelersbabex25
01-23-2011, 10:02 PM
MENDY 121 YARDS! Get it done in Dallas Steelers. Don't break my heart!
Also: thanks for the win, Myron.

Dee Mca
01-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Here we go
Pittsburgh going to the Super Bowl

StlersGuy
I'am so stocked I don't think I will sleep at all tonight :cope:

Scorp
DAMN, IT FEELS GREAT TO BE A STEELERS FAN!!!!!!!

steelersbabex25
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
And all the analysts are gonna talk about it how weak the Steelers were in the second half. But, WHO CARES?! The Stairway to Seven continues!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 10:05 PM
We have 2 weeks to analyze the win and the game...lets enjoy this one tonight here!!!!

OLD NC STEELER FAN
01-23-2011, 10:08 PM
All the best to the Steelers from all the Pgh transplants down here

Scorp
01-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Can you dig it?

Can you dig it?

Can you yoooooou dig iiiittt? :cope:

nuclearchihuahuas
01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
WHOO HOO!! Rex looks like he is going to cry during his news conference! And he still doesn't shut up! Still talking big...you go Rex

--- Added 1/23/2011 at 09:09 PM ---

Can you dig it?

Can you dig it?

Can you yoooooou dig iiiittt? :cope:

totally diggin it! :banana::banana::banana:

Slug
01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Just had to drop by to say congratulations. ^_^ My wife is going to be partying hard tonight.

RIVERS OF STEEL
Hey that's nothin didn't bloomberg say he was hanging a steelers flag on the statue of liberty?

Callax
I love the first half, but WHY MUST WE PLAY 'BURGH BALL TO MAKE A BLOWOUT A REAL NAIL BITER?????
WHY, WHY, WHY?!
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!
STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!!!!!!

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-23-2011, 10:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ALxylSbaU tried to load this earlier sorry bout that. it works now. enjoy.

http://www.packerpalace.com/palace/packeratC.jpg we got you in our sites. the team did this with each player wearin a cinder block tied to his leg. goodell f u. nice try. you are the laughing stock of the nfl.

steelersbabex25
01-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Oh hey, time to hang up the you're in Steeler country banner outside my house now. Also, I need a sweet picture to but up as my profile picture on facebook now. Any ideas?

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-23-2011, 10:15 PM
WOOOOO FUCTING HOOOOOOOO !! We had them all the way !!

HUNT4SEVEN
01-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Yo Bucs fan u have mad class thanks dude and i wish yaw the best next year if there is a next year

StlersGuy
01-23-2011, 10:29 PM
:steelersrocksign::wedaworldchamps::herewego:

jd1000
01-23-2011, 10:32 PM
I bet 3 or 4. The media will never give us the respect we deserve. Fine by me....Lombardi trophies are more important anyway.

JD from Utah

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Make room in that trophy case Art, we're gonna bring home another on February 6th!!

LarryNJ
01-23-2011, 11:42 PM
I'am so stocked I don't think I will sleep at all tonight :cope:

I'll sleep like a baby since I only got a couple hours last night. I was extremely nervous. It was great to see them win it at home. We deserve it after all those disappointing loses.

Sorry Santonio.. but hey nice celebration after you got a 1st down being down by 24.

SteelerCountry58
01-24-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm stoked beyond belief! Whew....it was tighter then I wanted in the
second half but we pulled it out and are poised to take number 7!
So proud to be a Steeler fan,our guys know how to seal the deal.
:clap::clap::clap:

roosterray
01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Go Steelers

pimplydan
01-24-2011, 01:24 AM
Really,who would of taught that the steelers would have made it to the superbowl this year:thinking:

kgreen
01-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Really,who would of taught that the steelers would have made it to the superbowl this year:thinking:

not me. I really thought this team was on the decline comign out of 2009. Honestly, I thought they would finish 8-8 or 9-7 if they were lucky. Boy am I glad they proved me wrong!

Real Deal Steel
01-24-2011, 02:18 AM

Me. I called it when I first started posting here. We fixed our special teams and Troy is now healthy. That's what held us back last season.

greennick
01-24-2011, 02:29 AM
I didn't think we would make it, but knew we were in with a chance if we stayed healthy at key positions. Sure, we had some huge injuries on O line, but the O line was **** anyway, at least Maurkice stayed healthy. And Hood really played well in Smith's absence, he did a lot better than I thought he would.

Still, it is all for nothing unless we win this last game. Let's hope they can defy the critics again and beat the favoured Packers.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
What a great way to start the day!!! I'm still stoked beyond belief!

Scorp
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Super Bowl XLV brings together two of the NFL's strongest brands in the league's marquee setting. As the hype starts, we tackle the key questions.

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, though disappointed his franchise isn't participating in Super Bowl XLV, couldn't have been any luckier with the Super Bowl draw.

The Green Bay Packers and Pittsburgh Steelers -- two of the game's best brand names with two of the best traveling fans in all of sports -- meet up in Arlington, Texas, for a chance to win the Lombardi Trophy.

The Steelers will be trying to take ownership of the Lombardi Trophy for the seventh time in franchise history. This will be their third trip in six years. The Packers are going for the fifth time (they've won three), but this is the first time they'll have a chance to claim the Lombardi Trophy, named after their legendary former coach, against the team that has won it the most. It should make for great theater.

Here is the first round of questions heading into two weeks of Super Bowl hype.

1. What is the historical perspective of this game?

The Packers will try to become the second No. 6 seed to win a Super Bowl. Who was the first? The Pittsburgh Steelers, who beat the Seattle Seahawks 21-10 after the 2005 season. Since the NFL went to eight divisions in 2002, wild-card teams have made a lot of noise. The New York Giants were a No. 5 seed in 2007 and they beat the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. The reason for wild-card success? Quarterbacks -- more than anything else. Elite quarterbacks don't always win division titles. But an elite quarterback can carry a team through three road victories to get to the Super Bowl. Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger have done it. Aaron Rodgers of the Packers did it this season.

2. How does the QB matchup stack up?

At the age of 28, Roethlisberger will be on the cusp of Hall of Fame consideration if he can win a third Super Bowl. He's 10-2 in playoff games and has evolved into one of the league's all-time great clutch quarterbacks. He's one of the best in the league rolling out to the right and creating big plays on the run. He's also clutch in the fourth quarter. Both Super Bowl quarterbacks have strong arms and can make big plays. Both quarterbacks can make first downs with their feet. Rodgers heads to the Super Bowl the hotter quarterback. He has completed 71 percent of his passes (66 of 93) for 790 yards and six touchdowns in three playoff games. But there is a subtle difference that could give Roethlisberger a slight advantage. Super Bowl balls usually have a little more paint on them and are a little harder to handle. For Roethlisberger, it shouldn't be a problem. This will be his third game using Super Bowl balls. This is Rodgers' first experience.

3. What will other teams copy from this Super Bowl?

The Steelers' way of doing defense. Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has been credited with the zone blitz packages that neutralized the West Coast offenses created by Bill Walsh. Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers learned the Steelers' defense when he was an assistant in Pittsburgh from 1992 to 1994. LeBeau was also there at the time. A couple teams with defensive coordinator openings are looking at defensive assistants from both staffs. The Cardinals would love to get LeBeau, whose contract expires after the Super Bowl. They are also considering Steelers secondary coach Ray Horton. The Panthers want defensive line coach Mike Trgovac of the Packers, and linebacker coach Winston Moss could be targeted. Capers has used a 2-4-5 scheme that has baffled offenses all season. LeBeau keeps quarterbacks guessing with his zone blitz.

4. Have these teams met enough to have a rivalry between them?

No. In 2005, the Steelers beat the Packers in Lambeau Field, 20-10. Last season, the Packers came to Heinz Field and the Steelers won 37-36 in a wild game. In that game, Rodgers threw for 383 yards. Roethlisberger completed 29 of 46 passes for 503 yards. A repeat of that type of game could create one of the greatest Super Bowls in history. From that game, Roethlisberger felt he could beat the Packers with passes in the middle of the field. The Packers have had problems covering tight ends, so expect the Steelers to target Heath Miller.

5. Which team has the most worries in the secondary?

Rodgers and Packers coach Mike McCarthy will be trying to target Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden, who was the league's most burned defender in 2010. He was targeted 116 times and gave up 77 completions for 870 yards and five touchdown passes. The Packers know McFadden well because they went at him in a playoff game last year when he was with the Arizona Cardinals. McFadden didn't fit in the Cardinals' scheme and was traded back to the Steelers during the offseason. The Steelers' best cornerback is Ike Taylor, who was beaten 54 times for 702 yards but only one touchdown. Those numbers can be a little misleading because teams don't run on the Steelers, so they are forced to throw more passes. The Packers have three Pro Bowlers -- cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams and safety Nick Collins.

6. What will be the main injuries to follow during the next two weeks?

Steelers Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey suffered a high left ankle sprain and his status for the Super Bowl will be the most scrutinized during the next two weeks. Normally, a player with a high ankle sprain is written off because the injury usually takes four to six weeks to heal. Pouncey said after Sunday's 24-19 victory over the Jets not to count him out. He said he suffered a high ankle sprain at Ohio State to his right ankle and was able to come back in a week.

"I think to say anything at this point would be premature,'' Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "Of course, it was such that he couldn't go back in the game today. I am sure we will have more information that will be debated here in the next couple of weeks.''

Remember a couple years ago when Hines Ward fought back from a knee injury and was able to play in the Super Bowl when most people thought he couldn't? The extra time will give safety Troy Polamalu a chance to get healthier coming off his Achilles/ankle problem. Defensive end Aaron Smith will see if he can play after missing most of the season with a triceps tear. Safety Will Allen has a knee injury that caused him to miss Sunday's victory over the Jets. Roethlisberger took a shot to his leg but was able to play through it. He's fine. The Packers should be in good shape. Linebacker Frank Zombo, who's missed several weeks with a knee injury, could return. He was reasonably close to playing on Sunday.

7. What stories will be some of the media favorites during the Super Bowl buildup?

Everyone will be trying to have Roethlisberger and his teammates relive the past offseason, when Roethlisberger received a six-game suspension (later reduced to four games) and nearly ruined his career with a sexual assault accusation (no charges were filed, but the NFL ruled that he violated its personal conduct policy). The Dallas media will be all over Steelers right tackle Flozell Adams, who was cut by the Cowboys but finally got to the Super Bowl by signing on with the Steelers. Plenty of people will be trying to write that Rodgers is the league's next superstar. Steelers linebacker James Harrison and his teammates will be deluged by questions about NFL fines for excessive hits. Packers coach McCarthy, a Pittsburgh native, will be a focus of stories about how he could keep a Super Bowl from his hometown. Packers linebacker Clay Matthews, who is likely to be named NFL Defensive Player of the Year, will be a hot item. Steelers receiver Hines Ward, a great talker, will be asked about his aggressive style of play and how long he wants to continue in the game. Packers rookie halfback James Starks will be a sidebar compared with Steelers halfback Rashard Mendenhall. There will be stories about the organizations and their fans. The Packers are a small-town, publicly owned team. The Steelers are one of the most popular franchises in football. There will be plenty of Hall of Famers from both organizations floating around the Dallas-Fort Worth area giving interviews and thoughts.

8. Where are the holes along the offensive line for both teams?

Both teams have issues with their tackles. Because of injuries, backup Jonathan Scott starts at left tackle for Pittsburgh. Pouncey suffered an ankle injury and might not be able to play in the Super Bowl. Green Bay's tackles have surrendered 19Ĺ sacks this season. Rookie right tackle Bryan Bulaga has given up 11 sacks in 12 starts. Left tackle Chad Clifton surrendered 8Ĺ in 16 starts. Both quarterbacks tend to hold the ball long to make big plays, so there could be plenty of sacks in this Super Bowl. Roethlisberger was sacked 32 times in 12 regular-season games. Rodgers was sacked 31 times in 15. The Steelers have used more three-tight end sets to help on running plays and give extra protection in the past.

9. Will the teams preach power football or finesse?

The Packers lost their starting running back, Ryan Grant, in the season opener. Recently, they've manufactured some running with rookie Starks. They tried an inverted wishbone formation that has helped. Interestingly, the Steelers used their version of an inverted wishbone on some running plays in Sunday's victory over the New York Jets. The Steelers really don't have a fullback, so they use two tight ends in the backfield ahead of Mendenhall. The Packers have used a tight end and fullback John Kuhn as the lead blockers in their inverted wishbone. Both teams are creative with their schemes. The Packers and Steelers use some five-receiver sets to spread the field. Of the two, though, the Steelers can be more conventional when necessary because they have the best pure running back in the Super Bowl. Mendenhall had 121 yards on 27 carries against the Jets; he rushed for 1,273 yards during the regular season.

10. Is the Steelers' defense over the hill?

In 1971, the Washington Redskins and head coach George Allen assembled a group known as "The Over-the-Hill Gang." Many of the players were older veterans Allen brought over from the Los Angeles Rams. The average age of that defense -- in terms of starters -- was 28.7. Well, this Steelers defense is actually older. The average age of the Steelers' starters is 29.55. There are six starters in their 30s and two who are 29. The Steelers' defense shows no sign of slowing down. The unit had one of its best seasons for stopping the run and one of its best seasons tackling.

www.espn.com

Ambridge
01-24-2011, 12:36 PM
8th Trip to the Super Bowl.....Go Win that 7th Lombardi.

Scorp
01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Terry Bradshaw is a two-time Super Bowl MVP who led the Steelers to four Super Bowl championships during his pro career. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1989. Bradshaw joined FOX NFL SUNDAY in 1994

I like Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, so I told them in the locker room at Soldier Field, after they beat the Bears. But the Steelers will win Super Bowl 45.

Iím not going out on a limb here, either. Ben Roethlisberger is the best quarterback in this game. He has won two Super Bowls and thatís a huge advantage. Heís been there, dealt with the distractions and has come out on top twice. This will be the Steelersí second Super Bowl appearance in three seasons. Thatís a pretty powerful statement by my former franchise and says a lot about Mike Tomlin, their 38-year-old head coach.

I canít tell you how much experience is worth in this game. Itís very valuable, especially when you are dealing with adversity. But the main reason I love the Steelers is their defense Ė did you see that first half against the Jets and how they dominated the game? And then when the Jets rallied in the second half, Pittsburghís defensive front merely stoned New York Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson on fourth-and-goal. It was a great storyline for Tomlinson, until the bitter end.

Iím excited about the Super Bowl matchup because it pits two of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. Both of them have played great in the playoffs and throughout the season. Maybe some day I would pick Rodgers, but right now I canít go against Ben and how he seemingly always comes up with the big play. Roethlisberger has a 10-2 playoff record.

If you watched the second half in Chicago, the Packers looked like they could have been beaten.

I donít know what to say about Jay Cutler. Even before he hurt his knee, which even the Bears donít know when it happened, Cutlerís body language didnít show that he was excited about being in the game and firing up his teammates. I donít know what the Bears can do about changing Cutlerís look on the field. Theyíve invested so much in Cutler and traded away so many picks to get him, but he simply never looked ready to even be out there. In a big game like that ... I just donít understand it.

I will say three things. I bet the Bears wish they had Kyle Orton for the second half against the Packers. I know that Todd Collins probably cost himself a roster spot for next season. And Caleb Hanie played pretty well for a third-stringer. He made more attempts (20) in that second half than he had in his first two seasons in the NFL.

I won't say that Hanie is the answer, and Chicagoís coaching staff knows better than me on that one. But they must explain about Cutler not playing in the second half and also his future there.

It was in the playoffs a couple years ago, when San Diegoís Philip Rivers played against the Patriots on a torn ACL. Tom Brady played the second half of this season on a stress fracture in his right foot and had surgery on it after his team lost in the playoffs.

What really impressed me about the Steelers is how Rashard Mendenhall ran and pounded the Jets behind what many say is a very average offensive line ó without its best lineman, rookie center Maurkice Pouncey.

Everybody told me the Jets had a better offensive line. It sure didnít look that way to me.

Pittsburgh won this game in the first half when New Yorkís first four possessions ended in three punts and a fumble.

I will say this about the Packers: They do have a good defense, too. I love the confident play of their young cornerbacks Tramon Williams and Sam Shields, who had two interceptions against the Bears. I think if I were running an NFL franchise these days, I would draft a lot of cornerbacks and linebackers who have pass-rush ability. The Packers have a bunch of players like this and thatís why they are in the Super Bowl. You can find receivers and donít need to draft them.

The Packers do have a very good defense, but I think the Steelers are tougher against the run and that means rookie James Starks might be limited in two weeks.

In the locker room after they beat the Bears and said their team prayer, veteran cornerback Charles Woodson took the stage and told his teammates to play and think like one in their final game.

ďI know the President isnít going to see our game,Ē Woodson said, of Bearsí fan President Obama. ďSo letís make sure we go see him.Ē

I guess the Super Bowl winner always gets invited to the White House.

Woodsonís teammates responded to his speech. This is a young team with a lot of heart and plenty of veteran leadership like Woodson. This guy has been Defensive Player of the Year and he wants a ring to cap his career.

steelers4life66
01-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Man, I don't know about the rest of you guys but, I haven't been able to stop smiling since 9:45 pm Sunday night! My damn face hurts....... People think I'm up to something. :lol:

coach
01-25-2011, 05:53 PM
I have trouble sleeping when the games become important.