PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben not given same recognition as other QBs

Raleigh Steel
01-22-2011, 06:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-disregardingbigben012111

PITTSBURGH – Ben Roethlisberger(notes) and Terry Bradshaw seem destined to suffer the same fate.

No matter how many Super Bowls they win, they’ll never get respect for being central to that success. Call it the Steeler Syndrome.

“When you talk about the Steelers, it’s always about the defense, it’s never about Ben,” said Trent Dilfer, who helped the Baltimore Ravens win the Super Bowl in the 2000 season and now works as an analyst with ESPN. “To me, there are five truly great quarterbacks in the league right now: Tom Brady(notes), Peyton Manning(notes), Ben, Drew Brees(notes) and Philip Rivers(notes). Aaron Rodgers(notes) is getting there, but he doesn’t have the championship pelts or, in Rivers’ case, some pretty impressive playoff performances in conference championship games.

“You can take those five and put them in any order you want one thru five and it doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t call anyone crazy no matter what order you put those guys in. You can justify Tom being No. 1, Peyton No. 2 and Ben No. 3. You can justify Peyton being No. 1. You can justify Ben being No. 1, in my opinion. But, for whatever reasons, Ben doesn’t get as much respect as the others.”

Said another former signal caller turned analyst, Rich Gannon: “It’s like when Bradshaw was the Steelers quarterback and people didn’t think of him as one of the truly elite. You talk about Ben and people don’t give him his due, but then you look at some of the numbers and they’re amazing. Then you consider that he has two Super Bowl wins already and getting close to maybe getting a third and you say, ‘Man, there’s something pretty special going on here.’ ”

Yet both men notice the same thing that happens whenever any member of the media dares to compare Roethlisberger with Brady or Manning. The emails or calls pour in with criticism about how no one in their right mind would ever dare to really think that Roethlisberger is as good as those other guys. Any appreciation of Roethlisberger on that level is almost seen as heresy.

Dilfer and Gannon isolated a number of reasons why Roethlisberger, in particular, doesn’t get the same level of respect as other top passers.

steelersbabex25
01-22-2011, 06:59 PM
We know this. Ben knows this. This isn't really news.

SnakeEyes43
01-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Nice article, but this argument has been going since 2005. When became the youngest to win the Super Bowl they started doing the whole "He's good but is he elite?" and "Is it him or the defense?". It's kinda lame now...Ben knows he's elite, and so does every Steelers fan. Who gives a sh*t what the "expert" commentators say or think. I appreciate Trent sticking up for Ben a little bit, but for every positive comment the media gives him, there are two or three negative ones.

SteelCityKid5
01-22-2011, 08:27 PM
No wayyyyyy? We landed on the moon!

steelersbabex25
01-22-2011, 08:31 PM
No wayyyyyy? We landed on the moon!

f_DPrSEOEo

:rofl: No way...that's great!

SteelDad
01-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Just keep winnin' titles Ben, that's all that matters in the history of professional football. Ask Dan Marino.

jd1000
01-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Three Rings and he is in the HOF. Plain and simple. Add an MVP to that Super Bowl resume and its a "stone cold, leadpipe lock" as Mike and Mike would say.

JD from Utah

Real Deal Steel
01-23-2011, 01:58 AM
We know this. Ben knows this. This isn't really news.

It's okay. In the end, because when Ben ends his career with 5 rings, they will have no choice but to give him his due. Period.

And Terry Bradshaw can kiss my ***.

Nolrog
01-23-2011, 10:02 AM
PITTSBURGH – Ben Roethlisberger(notes) and Terry Bradshaw seem destined to suffer the same fate.

No matter how many Super Bowls they win, they’ll never get respect for being central to that success. Call it the Steeler Syndrome.

I feel pretty confident saying that Bradshaw (and eventually Ben) is perfectly happy being recognzied as not central to that success with a handful of rings, than, say someone like Marino who's considered one of the best to ever play the game, but never won nothing.

pimplydan
01-23-2011, 10:12 AM
For sure any QB would rather go out with 2 superbowls , than with all the QB leading numbers without a superbowl .

nuclearchihuahuas
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I think Jaime Dukes called in correctly. Ben isn't pretty. Manning and Brady are very pretty in their play. I also think they are very pretty when they stand in the pocket, get hit and immediately go down thus ending the play. I think that is beautiful. Ben isn't pretty, his play isn't beautiful. He's rough and he's tough and he will do everything he can to keep a play alive to gain the extra inch the team needs. I am willing to bet there is not one single person in SteelerNation who feels any different. :tt02::tt02::tt02:

LarryNJ
01-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Just keep winnin' titles Ben, that's all that matters in the history of professional football. Ask Dan Marino.

This is true.

Many times we tend to forget that this is a team sport. Look at Ben's 1st SB and he was terrible, but his teammates helped him out. Obviously in the 2nd one he played 100x better and had the huge 4th quarter drive where he was simply GREAT. You also have to look at the 18 or 19 games to get to the SB. It Trent's case he never scored more than 9 points I think that year. :lol: So yes his defense carried him all the way to and including the SB.

Look at the 4 teams left. 4 very good defenses and 3 young QB's who have a chance to take a huge step in their careers the next 2 weeks. And Ben who has a chance to cement his place in history among not the top 5 QB's of today, but into the top 5 of all time.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
They were just talking about this on NFL Network this morning. Marshall Faulk was saying that Ben can't be mentioned in the same league as Manning or Brady until he has to win a games by throwing?! That teams are surprised when we come out throwing. I swear it's such a bunch of crap. Ben has proven time after time he can drive down with the game on the line and get the win. So what if he doesn't have 4000 yds every year. It proves we are a balanced team that doesn't have to thrown it all the time to win. The colts and pats never have really great defenses or really great running games so their QB's throw it often, and to their credit they are great.

To not give Ben credit just because he isn't called upon to throw for 4000 yds every year is a joke. If Ben isn't on our team, we aren't winning our 5th and 6th championships.

LarryNJ
01-23-2011, 01:31 PM
They were just talking about this on NFL Network this morning. Marshall Faulk was saying that Ben can't be mentioned in the same league as Manning or Brady until he has to win a games by throwing?

Marshall Faulk is more worried about dinner than watching a game and doing his job. Did he miss the last SB, or last weeks throw to Brown or................

coach
01-23-2011, 01:53 PM
They were just talking about this on NFL Network this morning. Marshall Faulk was saying that Ben can't be mentioned in the same league as Manning or Brady until he has to win a games by throwing?! That teams are surprised when we come out throwing. I swear it's such a bunch of crap. Ben has proven time after time he can drive down with the game on the line and get the win. So what if he doesn't have 4000 yds every year. It proves we are a balanced team that doesn't have to thrown it all the time to win. The colts and pats never have really great defenses or really great running games so their QB's throw it often, and to their credit they are great.

To not give Ben credit just because he isn't called upon to throw for 4000 yds every year is a joke. If Ben isn't on our team, we aren't winning our 5th and 6th championships.

These talkin heads will have a problem discussing elite QBs if Ben does win a 3rd ring. How can they account for Manning and Brady both choking in the big one, especially that team that went 18 and 1?

As for passing, Ben's SB 40 game wasn't great, but "the catch" didn't happen without "the drive" and the "pass."

At the end of the day, I am ok with all that because the Steelers just shrug it off and go win.

Nolrog
01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Marshall Faulk was saying that Ben can't be mentioned in the same league as Manning or Brady until he has to win a games by throwing?!

Perhaps someone should show Marshal Faulk a video tape of that last superbowl. If Ben wasn't throwin we weren't winnin. Holmes made a great catch, but someone threw the ball to him (and Ben was arguably the MVP in that game.)