PDA

View Full Version : Answer Man on Cowher.....

DIESELMAN
12-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Sorry this is kinda long but its a paysite....good read though thought everyone would like as many different perspectives on Cowhers decision...:helmet:

So whatís going to happen at Bill Cowher's press confereence Tuesday?

I donít think itís going to happen Tuesday.

Why?

I just donít. I donít have any inside information; Iíll just defer to what he said this week. This was his answer when he was asked about it at his press conference: ďThatís for next week. Weíll talk about that next week. It wonít go long. Iím not sure what the time frame is.Ē So I think that thereís an assumption that since heíd said the last time it would be a long time, and this time that he said itís not going to be that long, that people think itís going to be Tuesday. I just think thatís pushing it.

Whatever date it is, do you see the same result?

Yeah. He just seems to be someone whoís at peace with whatever heís decided. And if decided he was coming back, heíd say it. Wouldnít you? When Iím trying to decide something, there comes a moment of clarity, that this is what Iím going to do, that this is right for me.

What happened in the two weeks?

I donít know. Anything that I say is a guess, but his relationship with his girls is real. And maybe seeing them and realizing what he missed Ė I donít know.

What kind of time frame do you see for naming a replacement?

The Pittsburgh Steelers will do more than just the letter of the Rooney Rule. I think they believe in that process -- obviously itís named after him -- so I think theyíll interview a couple of minorities. I think they will look outside this organization.

Will it be a serious search outside or a cursory search?

No, I think everything is going to be serious because, again, it doesnít happen here that often. I am somebody who firmly believes there are places in the NFL where you cannot win, and this ainít one of those places. So when this job comes open, there isnít anyone you canít have. There isnít anybody you canít have here. Why would you not look outside these doors to see what else is out there? Iím not saying the guys who are inside these doors are not viable candidates. Iím not even saying they wonít ultimately get hired. But I think you do yourself an injustice not seeing everything thatís out there. They like to do this about once every generation, and, really, I defer to his expertise on this. I mean, the guyís hitting it pretty good.

Iím assuming youíre talking about Dan Rooney.

Yes.

And will he be the No. 1 voice?

No. I believe it will be Art, as I believe it was Dan with Chuck Noll when the Chief was still alive. When Art Rooney gave it to his son Dan back when he did, he didnít just say ďYouíre in charge but Iím going to make all the decisions.Ē They donít operate that way, and I believe itís the same thing when Art was named team president a few years ago. Now, his dad is a pretty valuable resource to have, obviously, and I donít think that it would be anything where they were diametrically opposed on anything. There will be some consensus reached, but I think it would be pretty silly not to consult with the guy. I mean, go to Canton and look at that little bust in there.

Also, this particular aspect might be what he does best.

Yeah. Heís pretty good at it.

Do any outside names titillate or interest you?

Yeah, thereís one that titillates me, but let me just say this right off the bat: I have no idea what makes a good coach. I think that when youíre hiring a coach, there are a lot of things that donít matter, in terms of whether people like him. In a company, the employees interact with each other because you spend so much time together and there are personalities, but I donít think itís really important that everybody like each other. You have to work together and thereís a purpose for everyoneís job. Thatís why I think that the Rooneys -- Dan and Art -- and Kevin [Colbert] are going to be involved very seriously I would imagine. They have to figure out who the best guy is. Whether other people like him, or even if heís good with the media, or if heís good with the community or any other departments, it doesnít matter. I mean, if he canít coach, he could be the guy next door [Dave Wannstedt] and be a great guy and have been fired twice. So, now again I donít know what makes a good coach, but the guy who intrigues me is the guy from Iowa, [Kirk] Ferentz.

A college coach?

Well, thatís a negative. Thatís a negative. But, see, you canít have egos Ė well, theyíre all egomaniacs Ė but you canít have, like, Holmgren here. You canít have Gruden, Mike Martz, those kind of people. You canít have that, but Ferentz is not one of those people. Heís a football-coach kind of guy. The fact heís been at Iowa all this time kind of shows that. Heís more into the job and the results than a lot of the accoutrements. So I think thatís something interesting to explore.

Does the local angle really interest the Rooneys?

No, you donít necessarily have to have grown up here because Chuck didnít. Chuck wasnít local at all. But I think you have to have an understanding of what this place is, what kind of town it is, what you can and canít do here, in terms of thereís not a lot of glitz and glamour, so to speak -- sorta speak. But itís a town more than a city, if you know what I mean. And you have to understand that the people here are nuts about this team. They either make you a rock star or a pariah based on how you did the previous Sunday. So I think thatís more important than having gone to a high school in the WPIAL.

Wouldnít you think a college coach like that is used to this kind of town?

Well, heís from Upper St. Clair. Joe Moore always spoke very highly of him, sent his players to him. It seems heís on the right branches of the tree. Gruden, those kinds of guys, I have no interest in them. Hereís a quote youíll see again. Dan Rooney said this after Chuck left and they were looking for a new coach and names started coming up. Dan Rooney said: ďWeíre not looking for a savior. We donít need saved.Ē And thatís the attitude here. Whoeverís getting hired here, the first thing heís going to walk past are those five trophies. Itís not like when Nick Saban went to Miami and changed the way they operated. Youíre not changing anything here. It doesnít need to be changed. So this is more of a fitting-in kind of thing, I think, than a ďhere are the keys to the franchise, let me know what you decided after you decide.Ē

Donít the Rooneys give the coach unlimited power for the most part?

He doesnít get everything he wanted. If he got everything he wanted, I donít think heíd be leaving. Do you?

Is that fluid? Will Kevin become more of a power in the organization?

I donít know. See, that job is never going to be a GM. Dan Rooney says GM is a baseball job. There are meetings here and they decide as a team what they want to do, what they can do, what they are going to try to do.

What about the in-house candidates? Is one ahead of the other?

I have no idea. All I would hope is that not too much is based on this year. It was a bad year, and it was a bad year for a lot of reasons. I donít believe that this coaching staff is solely responsible for the bad year. There were a lot of things that were out of personal control. You can have done the preparation and the teaching, and if it doesnít manifest itself on the field it doesnít make you a bad coach. Just as if your kids donít listen to everything you tell them that doesnít make you a bad parent. I believe that these assistant coaches worked just as hard and put just as much into this year as they did the previous two. The fact that it didnít work out, I hope, doesnít lead them to being discarded. But by the same token, I think it needs to be pointed out that just because they were part of something good here doesnít mean they have the chops to step into the big seat. So again, Iím going to go back to what I said before: Thereís one guy here who knows what heís doing, knows what to look for in the hiring of a coach, and Iím going to wait for him to say this is who the guy is.

Does the fact that this is a young team, still intact, and has certain schemes like the 3-4 that require certain coaches to stay, help the in-house guys get the job?

I donít know, but it may have some impact though on whoever gets hired, because whoever gets the job might get told, ďThis is a 3-4 team. That guy sitting in that office there is your defensive coordinator.Ē Because Iíll tell you what, they will be told that guy sitting in there is your running backs coach. That will happen. The only reason I say that is -- beyond the amount of respect I have for Dick LeBeau -- this is a 3-4 team. If you look at the guys on defense, the front seven, itís a 3-4 team. Youíre paying Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith a lot of money. You just signed Brett Keisel to a nice contract. You see what Romeo Crennelís going through in Cleveland trying to switch from one to another. I mean, they stink. Heís trying to bring in guys to teach the other guys and itís just a mess. So if youíre a coach, a candidate for this job, and youíre sitting in the office down there interviewing with the Rooneys and youíre saying, ďIím going to come in here and change everything Ė .Ē See, you just laughed. So am I. No, youíre going to have to come in here and fit in to some degree. Weíre not going to tell you who you need to play, or whatever, but weíve won a lot of games here lately. There are good players here. Itís not a bare cupboard, so I think thatís going to be a factor, too, in who gets hired.

Do we automatically rule out guys like Dick Hoak, John Mitchell and Dick LeBeau for the job?

Dick Hoak, Iím sure there were opportunities for him to be more than he is and he said he kind of likes what heís doing, and thatís fine. I respect that.

So theyíre not pushy, but do you rule out outstanding position coaches such as Mitch?

Yeah, and I think the reason that they are, and that they are here and have been here and will probably still be here, is they know what they are. Theyíre focused and thereís nothing wrong with that. You need those guys. Not everybodyís a head coach or a coordinator, and reaching for the brass ring is nice, but if you donít get it and fall on your ***, youíre off the ride. Itís a pretty nice ride to be on.

LeBeauís not a candidate in your mind?

No.

Age?

Age. And again, I donít believe that Dick LeBeau Ė and I love the guy Ė but I donít think heís a head coach. I think that he may be one of the great defensive minds ever. He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. But, that doesnít mean heís a good head-coaching candidate.

One last question, since the losses to the Ravens were so definitive, do you believe the talent gap is large and that drastic steps need to be taken?

No. I think the Ravens are having a great year. We had a great year last year. We had a bad year this year. What makes you think that canít happen to the Ravens? A couple of guys get hurt and theyíre just a little off. I donít believe the edge that they have right now will be able to be reproduced. You can want it and will it and all of that stuff, but itís just not human nature. The Ravens are a force to be reckoned with on a consistent basis in this division, but I donít see them as being something that forces you to change. You need to respect them, and to me Ozzie Newsome does a great job, but hey Steve McNair might get hit next Sept. 3 on the right elbow and be done, just like Bradshaw. What you need to do is what Cowher did when he got here: Identify that team to beat and you deal with them when youíre putting your team together. You canít be a will-o-the-wisp team, as Chuck said, and beat the Ravens. Youíve got to show up and bring it. I think itís a question of doing what you do better as opposed to changing.

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Dec 29, 2006

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 08:39 AM
That's a pretty good read ! Alot of good points are made there, especially about the talent gap and the defensive team.

We are a 3-4 defense, that's the type of players we've drafted and brought, and the type of players we resigned to big contracts. To try and come in here and start a whole new defensive scheme would be a literal disaster for the next 2 years atleast if not more. Every player on this roster is built for the 34 zone blitz scheme.

The talent gap is pretty even across the board in the AFCN with maybe the exception of cleveland because their defense is just flat out terrible but over all every time has play makers on both sides of the ball. As evidence by the records of all 4 teams over the last several years atleast, and even back further you can see where some teams have a bad year then they start to come back the next and others have a good year or 2 then they struggle alittle. The coaches and players in the AFCN are as good as it gets overall and this is one of the most highly contested divisions nearly every year.

House of Steel
12-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I love that read and thank you for sharing it. This whole Cowher thing is really bothering me more than I expected. I've been a fan for 22 years, 7 in the Chuck Noll Era and believe me I was sad when Noll retired. Then, came Bill Cowher and let me tell you my fire for the Steelers went to an all time high when this guy came in here and starting bringing the chemistry, the knowledge of the game, and the passion for the game to bring winning to Pittsburgh. I am going to sorely miss him when he leaves this game and Pittsburgh.

The article had some great fine points as Matt pointed out with the talents and the 3-4 scheme. I don't ever want to see the Steelers think outside the 3-4 system simply because that is what defines the Steelers the most is the Mastermind behind Dick LeBeau and his creation of Blitzburgh 3-4 Defense. There are so many other reasons to why I love the Steelers so much. This team stick together and works together. The chemistry of the team is very special and unique from the other 31 NFL teams. The Steelers are a model organization for the NFL.

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks for sharing !!!:tt02: Great article.