PDA

View Full Version : The only thing that scares me about the game tomorrow is the officiating!

NYCsteelersfan
01-22-2011, 01:32 PM
No doubt that the Jets are now officially the team "they" want to go to the Superbowl. Only way we lose to this overrated and classless team is if the officials attempt to hijack the game in favor of the Jets.

Nolrog
01-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Officials have been much better in the playoffs. I'm more worried about the special teams than anything else.

jpele
01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
This is a pretty good crew:

Jets @ Steelers:

Referee- Ed Hochuli
Umpire- Garth DeFelice (Blakeman)
HL- Mark Hittner (Hochuli)
LJ- Tom Symonette (Hochuli)
SJ- Laird Hayes (Carey)
BJ- Dino Paganelli (Steratore)
FJ- Bob Waggoner (Steratore)
ALT Referee- Ron Winter
ALT FJ- Boris Cheek (Cheffers)

steeldoc
01-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Special teams, turnovers, missed field goals...that's what the difference will be. Unless the Steelers blow them out :imho:

steelersbabex25
01-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Jets @ Steelers:

Referee- Ed Hochuli
SJ- Laird Hayes (Carey)
ALT Referee- Ron Winter

Hochuli? :barf:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Hochuli? :barf:

I'm with you on Hochuli.....Him and his crew call the most penalties.....Which could be good if Hochuli calls it fair for both teams.....Cromartie held Wallace all game last time we played..........If the Steelers DB's get called for PI then there better be some called on Cromartie.....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Jets @ Steelers:

Referee- Ed Hochuli
SJ- Laird Hayes (Carey)
ALT Referee- Ron Winter

Ed hochuli is the best official in the game today, besides Carey. He's fair and keeps a watchful eye on the line and the QB. He does call his share of penalties though but usually they are warranted. Either way we know we'll be behind the 8 ball like always with the Refs.

I like this crew in a game like this overall. Triplett was a disaster and needs to be fired.

Steel Trap86
01-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Ya the game last week was a terrible job by the officials.

As long as it's not Scott Green or that guy last week I could care less who calls the games. As long as they are fair

steelersbabex25
01-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Ed hochuli is the best official in the game today, besides Carey. He's fair and keeps a watchful eye on the line and the QB. He does call his share of penalties though but usually they are warranted. Either way we know we'll be behind the 8 ball like always with the Refs.

He may be fair but like 32 said, he calls way too many penalties. I've seen a lot of ticky tacky calls from him.

Raleigh Steel
01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
what are you guys talking about? don't you know that the refs are in the steelers back pockets? don't you know they are the only way we can win? they are the KEY to our success! it's how we beat the seahawks in super bowl 40. it's how we beat the cardinals in 43. it's how we beat the dolphins this year...and the ravens last week...geezzz:smh:
//sarcasm off

SteelDad
01-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I definitely like Ed "pythons" Hoculi better than Triplette, but let's not forget Ed is also the guy who made a complete mess of that call in the SD-Denver game a while back. That was scary bad.

Real Deal Steel
01-23-2011, 12:53 AM
No doubt that the Jets are now officially the team "they" want to go to the Superbowl. Only way we lose to this overrated and classless team is if the officials attempt to hijack the game in favor of the Jets.

This has been in the back of my mind as well. The last time we played them, their offensive line was allowed to hold Harrison on passing downs big time.

But, we gave them 9 points last time; we won't give them that this time.

Scorp
01-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Steelers will not let officiating dictate the game or decide the game. They will handle their business.

bigplaysteel
01-23-2011, 04:36 AM
Hmm! How is it no one remembers Ed Hochuli was the ref in the 2001 AFCCG. The game wasn't 10 minutes old and the Steelers were out of TO's and challenges. He then proceeded to overturn two on field calls that went against the Steelers and in both cases the on field call was pro Steeler. Both overturns defied the conclusive evidence to overrule concept. Then of course, the Steelers had no challenges to question the 4 yard forward pass that was palmed off as a lateral which was the winning TD. No friends, I am not thrilled this guy is here today. If this were a jury trial he would be my 1st preempt to get him off the jury.

Incidentally, he only officiated one Steeler game this year. The Steelers 1st loss at home here to Baltimore. I did not notice any officiating bias in this loss, but it does seem to be a coincidence that he also officiated last years loss in Baltimore. The only other game we saw him in the past two years was in Detroit last year where the Steelers failed to cover and lost the moolah.

I suppose that his rep as being one of the leagues top refs is valid but frankly I would rather have seen someone else.

I do think however, the Steelers will be mentally sharp and play a smart sound game within the rules. This usually results in a win.

JensK
01-23-2011, 08:25 AM
No matter who we woulda gotten people would be negative about him. Its a trend all NFL teams have; All refs are bad and always against their given team.

pimplydan
01-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Actually , we always worry about this whoever the crew is .In reality , we are concern about making mistakes because often times we let teams hag around because of them .

If we make mistakes it will go to the wire , if we don't we may hang on to a 2 score lead .

bigplaysteel
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Jets @ Steelers:

Referee- Ed Hochuli
SJ- Laird Hayes (Carey)
ALT Referee- Ron Winter

You know, I think you're right. I kind of forgot that these PO crews are put together and differ from the regular season crews. They are the better graded officials in the league. Chances are good this is a plus for the Steelers.

Hey, looking at the list I notice Ron Winter is the alt ref. I really doubt if for some reason he gets in the game that a whole lot of fans are going to be overjoyed. http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif

nuclearchihuahuas
01-23-2011, 09:47 AM

I like this crew in a game like this overall. Triplett was a disaster and needs to be fired.

I absolutely agree. Ed and his crew may call penalties but he will do so equally.

Real Deal Steel
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
No matter who we woulda gotten people would be negative about him. Its a trend all NFL teams have; All refs are bad and always against their given team.

No Jensk,

THIS year, there is no doubt that the league targeted us. You've never seen the league go after a team they way they went after us. And we endured.

But since the Jets are the new french kiss of the league, I"m sure that if Sanchez gets a hang nail, they'll be looking to call a penalty on us. Usually I don't worry about officiating, but this season has been unusual to say the least.

JensK
01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
No Jensk,

THIS year, there is no doubt that the league targeted us. You've never seen the league go after a team they way they went after us. And we endured.

But since the Jets are the new french kiss of the league, I"m sure that if Sanchez gets a hang nail, they'll be looking to call a penalty on us. Usually I don't worry about officiating, but this season has been unusual to say the least.

Surely you can make a case for some of those fines Harrison got, but looking back at all the games, Steelers have not been targeted a whole lot more than other teams. Its natural that we as fans feel the way we do - if not we wouldnt be real fans would we? - but there have been more strange calls this year for a lot of teams that any other year i can remember. As I said, the whole deal about Harrison was ticky tacky, but other than that it really havnt been that bad compared to the general officiating line this year.

steelersbabex25
01-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Surely you can make a case for some of those fines Harrison got, but looking back at all the games, Steelers have not been targeted a whole lot more than other teams.

Minus the Raiders game, of course.