PDA

View Full Version : Promote from within or New outside face?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 06:44 AM
We've seen and talked about what the media thinks the Rooney's will do, and what their options are, however what would you rather do IF Bill Cowher resigns as our HC after the game on sunday?

I think there are pros and cons to both to be honest. The benefit of promoting from within is that the coach already knows our system, is in good with the Rooney's, understand how and why they go about doing what they do. The players already know them, and the transition is generally easier all around.

Bringing someone in from the outside can be good though too because they bring fresh new ideas, a new staff, and can really jump start an organization; similar to what Sean Payton did with the Saints. However the transition can alos be a really long one, and take time to develop, meanwhile the team struggles to learn a new system, terminology, and generally get used to playing under a new regime.

Personally I'd rather promote from within, but then again BC was brought in from the outside to replace Noll and the rest is history !

DIESELMAN
12-29-2006, 09:06 AM
I'd like to see Whiz get a shot at HC but then we need an OC. If we get a HC from outside somewhere what happens to Whiz? will he stay or seek out a HC position somewhere else? Either way we will still need a OC. The Rooneys I'm sure have already made a list of prospects in case they do hire like they did with Cowher. Its going to be interesting, the main thing is to have enough time to adjust. Is there ever enough time??????

steelcurtain09
12-29-2006, 09:20 AM
i thought Jon Gruden was a prospect when the Steelers hired Cowher
i think he would still be a good choice
only problem is he said hes stayin in Tampa

House of Steel
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Kirk Frenetz is a good choice out of Iowa. My suggestion would be to stay in the house and permote either Russ Grimm or Kevin Whisenhunt as the HC. I don't know who on the outside would make a good candidate. I really would rather not put any names in there. I know the Rooneys will probably interview some candidates in the minority sector. PLEASE NO DENNIS GREEN!!! Art Shell might be on his way out already from what the rumors are saying. Art Shell wouldn't do well in Pittsburgh I know that for a fact. There will be some coaching vacancies in the NFL. Mike Martz wouldn't be good for Pittsburgh either. Jon Gruden, I don't think he would be successful here either besides he is happy in Tampa. Very interesting situation, but deep in my heart, I wish we wasn't talking about this cause it is bothering me to know Cowher has been here 15 years and been very successful at this.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
They will have to interview some minority candidates, the Rooney's were the main cog in pushing that rule to go into affect with the NFL.

PITT23
12-29-2006, 12:58 PM
The Steeler mentality is not for everyone and not inside of everyone. The people already in our system have that and know how things work around here. We also want to make sure we're getting someone who'll be here for the long haul, not some college guy who will be here for 3 years, figure he doesn't like it (and we have to sit through more 8-8 seasons) and the leaves. I'd say stick with Whiz or Grimm.

SteelerDan43
12-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I would prefer to see someone outside of the organization that brings a fresh view to the team without changing the major philosophies. Preferably some assistant coach or college coach, none of these retreads like Martz, Green, Shell, or Gruden

Blitzburgh55
12-29-2006, 01:47 PM
I would like to see Whiz be the hjead coach and i heard that the Defensive Cornidator for te Bears might be our next head coach

PITT23
12-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Well if Whiz doesn't get the job here he'll probably try to find a head coaching job somewhere else. He turned down the Raiders last just to wait for Cowher to step down.

SteelerDan43
12-29-2006, 02:38 PM
If I was a fan of another team looking for a head coach I would be scared to death to hire Whiz, his play calling hasnt exactally been even mediocre this year... If I see another 3rd down screen I might puke

PITT23
12-29-2006, 03:05 PM
If I was a fan of another team looking for a head coach I would be scared to death to hire Whiz, his play calling hasnt exactally been even mediocre this year... If I see another 3rd down screen I might puke

But teams still seem to like him. I guess they'll just let the OC call plays if he's head coach (with a new team).

Not sure what would happen if he stayed here with him calling plays and all.

Stairwayto7
12-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator; born March 15, 1972, Hampton, Va. Wide receiver William & Mary 1991-94. College coach: Virginia Military Institute 1995, Memphis 1996, Tennessee-Martin 1997, Arkansas State 1997-98, Cincinnati 1999-2000. Pro coach: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2001-05, joined Vikings in 2006.

Gets my vote, defensive coord. from Minnesota

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Remember, Whiz is the same guy who was awesome at play calling last year. I think it's safe to say that he didnt suddenly become a bad OC in less than a year, but the onus of this year falls as much on the players as the coaches.

DIESELMAN
12-30-2006, 11:46 AM
If I see another 3rd down screen I might puke

brought back memories of Mularkey huh? :banging: lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2006, 11:51 AM
The gadget king at his finest... :lol:

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 11:51 AM
don't even mention that PukeBrain Mularkey, he used to make me so damn mad.

SteelerDan43
12-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Those 3rd down screens are the worst thing in the damn playbook, for how much they work we might as well take a knee on third down and punt it. Its such a give up play.

Steelerlyn
12-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I can't see BC leaving on a season poor record. I hope he stays and that he and his staff irons out the wrinkles

DIESELMAN
12-30-2006, 12:17 PM
don't even mention that PukeBrain Mularkey, he used to make me so damn mad.

You and me both brother......

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 07:15 PM
You have no idea how many damn remotes and boards I broke during his stupidity years in the Burgh. He is more dumber than **** itself.

K Train
12-30-2006, 08:10 PM
does anyone really want an outside coach to come in and ben learning a new playbook....i'd rather open up our current one more to be honest with you. I think that cowher will stay and IF he does walk i think it will be a promotion from within.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2006, 08:26 PM
That's a good point. Ben needs this off season to recoup after a bad season this year all things considered. Making him learn a whole new playbook would be big adjustment.

The entire team for that matter. If we bring in a whole new coach from the outside we'll be looking at a struggling season from the getgo while they learn the offense and defense.

AZ_Steeler
12-30-2006, 08:50 PM
That's a good point. Ben needs this off season to recoup after a bad season this year all things considered. Making him learn a whole new playbook would be big adjustment.

The entire team for that matter. If we bring in a whole new coach from the outside we'll be looking at a struggling season from the getgo while they learn the offense and defense.

I'm not looking forward to another crappy season if the FO hire someone from the "outside". You can automatically count on a down year just because of the learning curve! Hopefully after interviewing everyone that they are suppose to they stick to someone currently on the staff.

K Train
12-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Well you never know....its not like we have dumb players, we run a very complicated defense as it is. It depends on the coach, Payton did an amzing Job, Saban did an OK job, Kubiak did an Ok job, Marinelli has a terrible team, Mccarthy did a bad job imo, Edwards sucks IMO....depends on the coach/team/system

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Ron Rivera would be a great coach believe me. I don't think he would change the system all that much cause he would definitely want to keep LeBeau intact. Him and LeBeau would be a force to be reckon with defense specialities on their minds. We need a damn good Offensive Coordinator and throw in an average ST coach, we are set for a damn good ride for a long while.