PDA

View Full Version : Revis preparing for man coverage on Ward

Big T
01-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Hines Ward can get ready to visit Revis Island on Sunday.

Although Jets coach Rex Ryan is staying tight-lipped about how he’ll use star cornerback Darrelle Revis against the Steelers, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Jets are practicing for Revis covering Ward and Antonio Cromartie covering Mike Wallace.

In other words, the Jets view Ward as the Steelers’ best receiver and want their best cornerback on him.

As Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News has pointed out, that means the Jets will continue to do what they did in their regular-season meeting with the Steelers, when Cromartie was burned by Wallace to the tune of 110 yards, but Revis generally held Ward in check.

Ward is trying to stay optimistic as he prepares to go against the best cornerback in football.

“Can he be beaten? Yeah, he can be beaten,” Ward said of Revis. “But at the same time he’s one of those guys you don’t want to mess with. If you make a mistake he’s a game-changer. A lot of quarterbacks just stay a away from him. So as a wide receiver you can get frustrated, because you’re not even getting looked at when he’s covering you.”

Look for Revis to frustrate Ward again on Sunday. And look for Ben Roethlisberger to try to find Wallace deep downfield.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/21/darrelle-revis-preparing-for-man-coverage-on-hines-ward/

mwittman5
01-21-2011, 04:37 PM
big bad Revis can't handle mike wallace

LarryNJ
01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I think that's great and a huge plus for the Steelers. No way does Cromartie cover Wallace 1 on 1. They will double him look for Heath, Sanders and Brown maybe even 82..haha to have big plays.

Goodfrom55
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
That's fine, because if anyone can get open on Revis (once the playbreaks down), Hines has the Savvy to do it. Cromartie will struggle with Wallace because of his flat out speed and his ability to cut and come out of turns at full speed. They will likely bracket Wallace with Cromartie and Smith, which leaves single coverage on Heath or Sanders or Brown defendng who is on the field at the time.

Honestly, if Ward doesn't catch a pass all day, but keeps Revis occupied on running plays, etc. I'm OK with that as long as the Steelers win. Pretty sure Ward would say the same thing.

--- Added 1/21/2011 at 02:55 PM ---

I think that's great and a huge plus for the Steelers. No way does Cromartie cover Wallace 1 on 1. They will double him look for Heath, Sanders and Brown maybe even 82..haha to have big plays.

WHen there is not tomorrow, look for the Steelers to throw every wrinkle at the Jets if needed. You know Randle El will be ready in that role even if it is as a decoy of some sort. Will we finally see a tackle elegible to Legursky? They say he catches every one on practice. never know.

jetsknicks1
01-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Yea, that's it:lol: And just because somebody on TV says it's going to be that way, doesn't make it true.

LarryNJ
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
WHen there is not tomorrow, look for the Steelers to throw every wrinkle at the Jets if needed. You know Randle El will be ready in that role even if it is as a decoy of some sort. Will we finally see a tackle elegible to Legursky? They say he catches every one on practice. never know.

I agree, let's hope we don't need to use it for 2 more weeks. :)

LatrobePA
Why would a player give out game plan info on a Friday?? I don't buy it, Rex has something up his sleeve (besides a few Big Macs)...

Goodfrom55
In Ben we Trust.

JFE
01-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Revis can handle any receiver in the NFL. Name one Receiver he cant?

LarryNJ
01-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Why would a player give out game plan info on a Friday??

It wasn't a player..it was a writer.

LatrobePA
01-21-2011, 05:12 PM
It wasn't a player..it was a writer.

Then he should be kicked in the bag!

steelchamp204
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Should be a big day for sanders, if it is "I called it" lmao.