PDA

View Full Version : Kiper and McShay both have Steelers taking OT!

MDSteel15
01-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Mel Kiper has us taking Tyron Smith* OT USC and Todd McShay has us taking Benjamin Ijalana OL Villanova!! What are you alls thoughts?

K Train
01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
ijalana is a guard and tyron smith is a terrible pick....i hate small tackles (280 pounds) hes an athletic guy but falls into the same category of former TEs that move to tackle like charles brown (another undersized USC tackle) and jason smith (failure at LT at #2 overall and has been less than mediocre at RT since)

hes just not big enough for what we do on offense, he would be a good colts tackle

Black@Gold Forever32
01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
ijalana is a guard and tyron smith is a terrible pick....i hate small tackles (280 pounds) hes an athletic guy but falls into the same category of former TEs that move to tackle like charles brown (another undersized USC tackle) and jason smith (failure at LT at #2 overall and has been less than mediocre at RT since)

hes just not big enough for what we do on offense, he would be a good colts tackle

I agree Ijalana won't be an OT in the NFL.....I see him as an OG to.....I don't mind that pick especially if Mike Pouncey is off the board at the point to....I also think that is way to early for Mike Pouncey...He isn't Maurkice and to me Mike is mid/late second round pick.......

But if Sherrod is gone then I rather the Steelers wait to draft an OL......Draft a DE or BPA and draft a Cannon in the 2nd round.......

MDSteel15
01-20-2011, 01:41 PM
They both have Pouncey going earlier in the first! I believe one was to the Giants and the other to ... I can't remember

JollyRob68
01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
One still had Sherodd on the board and the other had Camron Heyward on the board and CB Aaron Willams of Texas. We Need OL/DL/CB a possession Receiver and Punter
If Pouncey is there at 32 take him.

andyg1984
01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
RG is a bigger "need" than any position on the offense imo .. im not huge on max starks but he is a much better LT than whatever our answer is at RG and it would be way harder for a guy to come out of college where we are picking and take that spot relative to RG

JensK
01-21-2011, 03:54 AM
If Starks and Colon is back, I actually think I would be OK with that constellation for a couple of more years. At least I hope they keep Colon for RT.

JollyRob68
01-21-2011, 05:58 AM
If Starks and Colon is back, I actually think I would be OK with that constellation for a couple of more years. At least I hope they keep Colon for RT.

I like Starks and hope he can make it back ok. Colon I think will get resigned. All we need is a Starting Guard and some versatile Lineman for depth and we can get them later in the draft.

JensK
01-21-2011, 07:29 AM
I like Starks and hope he can make it back ok. Colon I think will get resigned. All we need is a Starting Guard and some versatile Lineman for depth and we can get them later in the draft.

We also drafted Chris Scott last year who did get hurt, but I liked what I heard about him out of college. He could become a pretty decent backup at tackle.

K Train
01-21-2011, 10:40 AM
i like marcus gilbert as a mid round guy....we can cut our losses with jscott and hills

Black@Gold Forever32
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
i like marcus gilbert as a mid round guy....we can cut our losses with jscott and hills

Gilbert played at Florida right?.......Jon Scott has to go and Hills has to be so bad in practice for Tomlin not even to dress him on game days.....I don't know but its the only I can think of since Scott hasn't been that impressive and Tomlin has been just rolling with 7 OL on game days.......

Even with Starks and Colon back this team still needs to draft an OT at one point in the draft......If the Steelers do go and win the Super Bowl, I think we will see Flo hang them up........

I don't care if the Steelers draft an OT or OG early just as as that player can come in right away and at least compete for a starting job.....I would say a rookies chances to start would be greater at RG......But with Starks and Colon both coming injuries the OT's spots are somewhat of a question to......

JollyRob68
01-21-2011, 11:45 PM
I think they'll sign Scott and dump others. At Least Scott plays. Perhaps he can go to the right side. We Need a Nasty Starting Guard so we can get back to pounding the rock at wil and spreading people out with our WR. We need a utility back to replace Mewelde Moore. Someone like Jamie Harper.

SteelerCountry58
01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Definitely O line with the first pick. Love Castonzo from BC but he'll
be snatched up early. Next pick would love to see a DE like Watt from
Wisconsin if he falls to the second round. Secondary for the third pick etc...
Oh yeah,a TRUE power fullback would be great too.:yesnod:
Not asking for too much are we?:hilarious:

K Train
01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
gilbert came in a full 2 inches taller than he was listed at florida...thats a rarity. 6-7 and he seems impossible to get through at RT at the senior bowl....loving him in the 2nd or 3rd round right now.

JollyRob68
01-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Bowl Practices & Game OT/OG Danny Watkins loves the switch to OG becuse he enjoys the physical fight. He is nasty should slip into end of first rd. John Moffit is also nasty OG/OC. Rodney Hudson Improved his stock value may slip into first round.
Their are other tackles that improved throughout the week and can be had in day 2 James Carpenter Alabama, James Brewer indiana.

In east west shrine Chris Hairston was the best OT, Joe Barkside had strong punch but needs to finish.
Andrew Jackson OG was best, William Rackley OG/OC & JC Brignone had good games. Other TAckle they said will move insde to OG Laupepa Letuli Hawaii,

Gilbert & Love got exposed in the Senior Bowl. However Its said Love needs more coaching. Derek Sherrod might slip to late 1st rd he's not a nasty Mauler but he's a Good tackle.