PDA

View Full Version : If BC leaves; Captains want "in-house" successor

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2006, 12:18 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06362/749503-66.stm

Thursday, December 28, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If the game Sunday is Bill Cowher's last as the Steelers' coach, the team's captains would like to see the team promote from within.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, also the Steelers' assistant head coach, are considered strong candidates to replace Cowher if he steps down after the season.

"Of course, you would love to stay in house," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "The transition ... the coaching staff knows you and you see some of the same faces."

Guard Alan Faneca agreed with his fellow offensive co-captain.

"If there is a change, you'd always like to see a guy you know and have a feeling for. But, if something happens, you never know which way it's going to go."

Continuity on a team that won the Super Bowl fewer than 11 months ago, plus familiarity with systems on offense and defense were cited as big factors for promoting a Steelers assistant to the head-coaching job.

"I would rather keep it in house, keep it familiar with people you know," said linebacker James Farrior, a defensive co-captain. "We wouldn't have to change so much; the systems would probably stay pretty much the same, you might have a few, little differences. Hopefully, the coaching staff would stay together."

Cowher has run a 3-4 defense throughout his 15 seasons as Steelers coach and four different defensive coordinators, including two stints by Dick LeBeau. His offensive styles have changed through the years, from a brute power offense in the early seasons to more balanced offenses, based on the styles of quarterbacks and running backs he has had.

Whisenhunt and Grimm work together on the game plans. Whisenhunt calls the plays from the press box during the game. Grimm, who coaches from the sideline, helps make the adjustments at halftime.

Both men have turned down chances to be head coaches in the NFL.

Grimm was interviewed three years ago by the Chicago Bears but withdrew his name when he was told which assistant coaches he would have to keep. He was a candidate for some jobs last season, including one in Detroit, but the Lions did not want to wait until after the Super Bowl for him.

Whisenhunt might have had the job in St. Louis, but the Rams weren't willing to wait, either. He turned down a chance to become the Oakland Raiders' coach after they interviewed him. His name has surfaced in Atlanta as a candidate to replace Jim Mora if, as expected, he is fired soon after the season ends.

Whisenhunt, 44, was born in Atlanta, played at Georgia Tech and played his first four seasons in the NFL as a tight end for the Falcons.

First things first with the Steelers, though -- there will be no candidates for the head coaching job unless Cowher vacates it, and none of the team captains said he knows what his head coach will do.

"I don't think anyone in this locker room wants it to be his last game," said defensive co-captain Joey Porter. "In situations like that, not one of us has an impact on how that's going to go. You just kind of stay out of that situation.

"That's the man's business and, hopefully he's here and until he tells me anything different, that's what I'm planning on."

IF Cowher does leave, those 2 are the likely strong candidates for the successor, I'd almost be willing to be money one of those 2 would get it but there is a chance someone else would take over from the outside.

House of Steel
12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Who you think would be an outside candidate, Matt? I hate to discuess this anymore than a Steelers fan wants to, but damn, this is getting bothersome having to play a waiting game to know if Cowher is coming back. AZ thinks strongly on him coming back.

Steelersfan
12-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Well we won't have to wait much longer. You know no matter what happens in the game this weekend the media will only be asking him one thing after it....lol

Captcoolhand
12-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Well from what I just read; Cowher will let it be known soon after this weeks game. but The thing that bothers me is why Didn't the Rooneys offer him more money instead of just allowing him to leave:dunno: :scratch:
But, on the other hand, seeing that Cowher is ready to walk away with even 1 more year left on his contract, shows how considerant the Rooneys are for the decision the BC makes. To bad that things will be different

Stairwayto7
12-28-2006, 10:12 PM
My only problem with the two asst, Wiz and Grimm, I wanted a defensive minded head coach? Just my two pennies

Steelersfan
12-29-2006, 02:19 AM
My only problem with the two asst, Wiz and Grimm, I wanted a defensive minded head coach? Just my two pennies

I agree with you Cleve. I would like to see them find another young defensive minded coach like they did when they hired BC. Dick isn't getting any younger and we will need help on that side sooner than later. That's nothing against Wiz or Grimm. I'd just like to see us find a young coach with some energy. Something this team seemed to lack this year.

Captcoolhand
12-29-2006, 02:32 AM
I agree with you Cleve. I would like to see them find another young defensive minded coach like they did when they hired BC. Dick isn't getting any younger and we will need help on that side sooner than later. That's nothing against Wiz or Grimm. I'd just like to see us find a young coach with some energy. Something this team seemed to lack this year.
I think Dick will be right behind BC if he decides to go

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Well from what I just read; Cowher will let it be known soon after this weeks game. but The thing that bothers me is why Didn't the Rooneys offer him more money instead of just allowing him to leave:dunno: :scratch:
But, on the other hand, seeing that Cowher is ready to walk away with even 1 more year left on his contract, shows how considerant the Rooneys are for the decision the BC makes. To bad that things will be different

There is little if any doubt, IMO, that the 2 sides have talked about whether he wants to extend it or not after the season. BC wouldnt keep the Rooney's completely in the dark about something like this. Believe me, they have been talking whether they publicize it or not.

House of Steel
12-29-2006, 11:19 AM
You have any names you like to mention, Capt, on the outside? Trust me there aren't too many candidates I would enjoy. I know we need a Defensive Minded Coach, I would agree with the majority here that brought that up. I think Whiz or Grimm may get the nod for the job.

Friday133
12-29-2006, 12:44 PM
i would love to see marvin lewis, it would take a lot to get him out of cincy though.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Marvin isn't going anywhere, I can't see the Bengals letting go anytime soon. As far as I know he's quite happy there in bungal land.

House of Steel
12-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Marvin Lewis? Are you drunk or high, Friday? HELL keep that fool away from the Burgh. I think Ron Rivera from the Bears may get the job.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Im not sure who I'd like to see more, Grimm or Whiz :scratch:

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Im not sure who I'd like to see more, Grimm or Whiz :scratch:

I'd be willing to bet that you won't have to worry about seeing either one of those two !! I believe that it will be an outside person, hopefully someone with enthusiasm ,:tt02: :tt02: . I don't care if they are offensive or defensive minded, his assistants will cover what he doesn't. Just win baby !!!

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 11:04 PM
It could very well be, but it's been quite a long time, if ever, since the Steelers had an "official" assitant head coach, like Grimm is so I'd have to think he's a front runner.

House of Steel
12-29-2006, 11:06 PM
Ron Rivera sounds like he could be thrown into this by the Rooney Rule as in a Minority. Trust me, Rivera and LeBeau spells some major hell on the defensive front. Throw in a damn good OC and a ST Coach and we got a dynasty in the making. I could just see Rivera and LeBeau releasing Hellish Nightmares on offenses. Makes my mouth water on that one.

K Train
12-29-2006, 11:54 PM
I think Wiz will get the job if BC leaves, i think he is what we need and will make us was we are becoming and not try to make us what we used to be. I think the staff will stay in tact because thats what the rooneys like. I also think Lebeau will coach until he turns into dust and we dont want him to go anytime soon. There arent really any outside canidates im interested in.

House of Steel
12-30-2006, 12:08 AM
What about Ron Rivera, K??? What the hell is the matter with you???? :bitchslap: :buttkick:

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Wisenhunt, - gameplans less then inspiring
Grimm - do not enough about him to make a fair judgement.
Rivera, Singletary, etc - need a candiate for the Rooney Rule.

Whoever the Steelers hire to coach. Whether it be from inside the organization or outside. I believe some of the current coaching staff will be asked to stay.

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 12:36 AM
Steelers need to go outside to get a HC .... Neither Whiz or Grimm has done anyting to lead me to believe they can re-ignite, motivate, and lead this team while making the necessary changes that need to be made. Cowher loved being known as a "players coach" ..... so much so that he went "soft" on the vets far too long .... creating a "free lunch" program. Its time we bring someone in that will shake things up a bit and make each position more competitive.

Here's the 2 guys that I'd like to see interviewed:

1) Jim Schwartz - Def. Coord / Tennessee Titans
Freaking psyco ..... Collegiate LB @ Georgetown..... Carry's himself a lot like Cowher, however differs in the fact that Schwartz is a perfectionist and is big on dicipline. Doesn't care that he's not the "Team Dad" and liked by his players. Doesn't believe in a "free lunch" program. Believes you've got to earn your way onto the field ..... then earn the right to stay there. Read his bio .... he's responsible for creating the 1995-1998 Ravens D which was pretty damn good.

2) Mike Smith Def. Coord of the Jacksonville Jaguars
More soft spoken, carrys himself with the calm demeanor of a teacher. However, known to be an X's and O's strategist. If I had to think of someone his actions emulated ... I would think Chaz Noll.

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 12:43 AM
I am not going to argue anymore if you guys can't bring the card of Ron Rivera into play. He would make a damn fine coach in our system along with Dick LeBeau. I may believe that Grimm and Whiz could possibly stay to keep the coordinators intact so that there wouldn't be too much changes in the playbook and all. Trust me, this would be a winning forumla.

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Rivera deserves an interview ..... He has potential, but honestly .... when you bring someone in from outside the best formula is to allow him the opportunity to bring in his own "inner circle" of coaches.

There's nothing worse than to be force fed somebody elses table scraps when you have your own team in mind.

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 12:55 AM
Well, you got a point there too. Look at the real problem from this season. Something that no one in that locker room ever took on their shoulders. Can you guess what it is?

LEADERSHIP!!!! That is right, Leadership. If you don't have leadership, you won't go far in your season. We need leadership in that locker room and on that field. You can't sit there and tell me this team doesn't miss Jerome's leadership. His leadership carried this team in the latter run of the season all the way to Super Bowl XL. I am telling you now, that is one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle that we need to find. WHO IS GOING TO STEP UP AS A LEADER AND LIGHT THE FIRE????

Steelerlyn
12-31-2006, 12:59 AM
Those guys are defensive minded coaches and should stay in that position, because you can coach the defense or the offense does not nesessarily mean you are head coach material, that is a whole different ballgame.

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 01:12 AM
True, but you know Rivera's name has been thrown into the Coaches rings in a lot of vacancies in the NFL. I say, he is ready to step up and run the team.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2006, 01:35 AM
It doesnt matter who they would bring in from the outside, the Rooney's will not allow anybody to make wholesale changes to the way the organization is run from a coaching perspective. They have always prided themselves on being a tough, physical run and stop the run team for as long as Ive been a fan and I'd bet anything that is not going to change. If someone from the outside would take over, they will need to be of the similar mold that the team has been built on.

Iron City South
12-31-2006, 01:40 AM
This team needs LEADERSHIP as HOS eluded to .... and it needs DICIPLINE.

Both were absent this season...... 1 is the responsibility of the players and the other is the responsibility of the coach.

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-31-2006, 04:23 AM
Steelers will not get away from the 3-4, the steelers will not go away from the running game. Any coach they will bring in will have pre determined conditions. That he is expected to keep. Watch for the Steelers to go after someone who will be around for the next 12 - 15 years.

House of Steel
12-31-2006, 11:05 AM
I will admit something now, it is becoming more clear to me that either Russ Grimm or Kevin Whisenhunt is going to get this job as HC. It is going to be an inside hiring. I am starting to feel strongly about this. Iron City South made a great point also including Leadership, we do need Discipline and a whole lot of it. I can't see us hiring on the outside base upon what Matt (Top Gun) has said. Of course, the Rooneys pride themselves on how this organization is ran and the identities of what defines the Pittsburgh Steelers.