PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown

Steel Trap86
01-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Can't believe nobody is talking about this guy. Out of Sanders and Brown, it's Brown who appears to be faster out of the two. I think they were both clocked at 4.4, but Brown's game speed is quicker, not as quick as Wallace, but pretty damn close. And his routes might even be a little better then Wallace's imo, I have to see more of him before I can say for sure. Point is that it looks like we have 2 up and coming, and 3 all around speed demon receivers that can all stretch the field vertically. I'm willing to bet they feature Brown in this Jets game at some time because he looks ready. That catch he made on Saturday against the Ravens was just dirty, I didn't even realize he stuck it to his helmet like that because I missed the replay with all the noise around me lol but that's top speed and serious determination right there. Get this guy the ball!

ps. still can't stand seeing Holmes in that Jets jersey........:shots:

Goodfrom55
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
You have Ward who is tough as nails and will do the dirty work. Then you have Wallace, Sanders, and Brown who can all take it to the house. This receiving quartet presents big problems for the Jets defense, Revis or no Revis. Oh yeah, and then oft forgotten guy named Heath Miller.

NHStlrfan
01-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Don't forget Moore and Redman out of the backfield. Play action will also be a key to this game. This is a far too little used play call for the Steelers. Not sure if its Ben or Bruce but they just don't use it enough.

Steel Trap86
01-18-2011, 05:13 PM
You have Ward who is tough as nails and will do the dirty work. Then you have Wallace, Sanders, and Brown who can all take it to the house. This receiving quartet presents big problems for the Jets defense, Revis or no Revis. Oh yeah, and then oft forgotten guy named Heath Miller.

You know?

Steelers just put up 30+ points on the Ravens, there's no reason why they can't run it up on the Jets and the Packers or Bears with these kind of weapons.

beaver688
01-18-2011, 05:19 PM
HAS BROWN EVER RAN BACK A KICKOFF?

coach
01-18-2011, 05:20 PM
I see the speed we have as something that can nullify the blanket coverage the Jets DBs are known for.
The jets got pressure on Cheatriots with 3 or 4 man rush. If they get that kind of pressure on Ben, he won't have time to let those deep routes develop; nullifying our speed advantage.
I think this will be another close game again. Will need my blood pressure medication.

Steel Trap86
01-18-2011, 05:20 PM
HAS BROWN EVER RAN BACK A KICKOFF?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIcx87UeKE

NHStlrfan
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I see the speed we have as something that can nullify the blanket coverage the Jets DBs are known for.
The jets got pressure on Cheatriots with 3 or 4 man rush. If they get that kind of pressure on Ben, he won't have time to let those deep routes develop; nullifying our speed advantage.
I think this will be another close game again. Will need my blood pressure medication.

Yet another reason for the play action. That freezes the DB for just a second and that's all that's needed. If Revis covers someone then just go to someone else. And Ben will NOT go down as easily as Tom did. At least 2 of those sacks in NE would not have been sacks with Ben in there. Brady's a sissy!

harpo
01-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Can't believe nobody is talking about this guy. Out of Sanders and Brown, it's Brown who appears to be faster out of the two. I think they were both clocked at 4.4, but Brown's game speed is quicker, not as quick as Wallace, but pretty damn close. And his routes might even be a little better then Wallace's imo, I have to see more of him before I can say for sure. Point is that it looks like we have 2 up and coming, and 3 all around speed demon receivers that can all stretch the field vertically. I'm willing to bet they feature Brown in this Jets game at some time because he looks ready. That catch he made on Saturday against the Ravens was just dirty, I didn't even realize he stuck it to his helmet like that because I missed the replay with all the noise around me lol but that's top speed and serious determination right there. Get this guy the ball!

ps. still can't stand seeing Holmes in that Jets jersey........:shots:

Let's hope that no one talks about him, so that he and Sanders can continue to keep flying under the radar. :yellowthumb::tt02:

Goodfrom55
01-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Wanna talk about underused plays, let's begin and end with the Screen game.

NHStlrfan
01-18-2011, 05:34 PM

To quote Bruce Arians "Isn't a screen something to keep mosquitos out when you open a window?" I just wonder where this team would rank offensively if they would actually use some of these plays. The only screen consistently called is the bubble screen to Hines and it appears to be simply to get him another catch. they stopped even that when his streak of games with a catch ended.

steelchamp204
01-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Or slants.

NHStlrfan
01-18-2011, 05:40 PM
The real question is though, is this Bruce or Ben that makes these calls?

I have to believe its Bruce. When they go no huddle these plays always seem to crop up and that's when Ben calls all the plays.

steelersbabex25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIcx87UeKE

I totally forgot about that! That was awesome..and man is that kid speedy.

coach
Yet another reason for the play action. That freezes the DB for just a second and that's all that's needed. If Revis covers someone then just go to someone else. And Ben will NOT go down as easily as Tom did. At least 2 of those sacks in NE would not have been sacks with Ben in there. Brady's a sissy!

He went don't fatser than Manning on that one rush. They are both soft, agree.

steelersbabex25
01-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Or slants.

Don't get me started

Goodfrom55
01-18-2011, 05:41 PM
A bubble screen to Wallace or Brown, etc. would be nice. I was referring to the traditional screen game to Mendy.

Slants are also good especially on a hot read (blitz). See Wallace vs Carolina.

NHStlrfan
01-18-2011, 05:44 PM
A bubble screen to Wallace or Brown, etc. would be nice. I was referring to the traditional screen game to Mendy.

Screens to ANY back, slants and basically any short passing game. Wasn't it a short pass to a back that won the AFC north in Baltimore!?

coldrolled
01-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Like when we have our bunch formation... the three in the bunch block while mendy runs over for a quick screen and uses those three as blockers...

that kinda screen right?

steelchamp204
01-18-2011, 05:46 PM
God please no more wrap arounds eithers, just go north-south lmao

NHStlrfan
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Like when we have our bunch formation... the three in the bunch block while mendy runs over for a quick screen and uses those three as blockers...

that kinda screen right?

Mendy or Moore. Moore perhaps has better hands. For crying out loud I'd even take a screen to Legursky reporting elidgible in the backfield!!

coach
01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
The real question is though, is this Bruce or Ben that makes these calls?

I have to believe its Bruce. When they go no huddle these plays always seem to crop up and that's when Ben calls all the plays.

I was reading another Steeler forum and someone was talking about that late deep route to Brown on 3rd and 19 was an audible by Ben as BA called a 15 yard stop route.

I have no idea how guys get this info but I think when we see those hot routes or slants it is an audible by Ben. I just don't see evidence that BA is flexible enough to put these into a game plan. It wasn't my intent to turn this into a "BA SUCKS THREAD." There are enough of them out there.

Anyway, hopefully he can do something good for two more games this year.

Goodfrom55
01-18-2011, 05:51 PM
The kind of screen where Mendy goes into the line on play action, pauses for a second or so, then peels off to the left or the right to receive the pass from Ben. In the mean time, 2 or 3 linemen peel off to the play side and now Mendy has a compliment of blockers ahead of him. There is not always guaranteed success, but at least has the potential to slow down the pass rush because they have to be aware of the threat of a screen pass. Kind of like going deep, don't have to complete the pass, but it still gives the defense something else to think about.

steelersbabex25
01-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Mendy or Moore. Moore perhaps has better hands. For crying out loud I'd even take a screen to Legursky reporting elidgible in the backfield!!

Moore is kinda like Ray Rice. You let him block and then have him go out as a checkdown. He's elusive and if you get him the ball at the right time, he can make people miss and get some yards. Mendy on the other hand is rarely a receiver. I like those roles. I think it fits them both well.

Steel Trap86
01-18-2011, 05:57 PM

You know Brady and Ben are way different styles. Brady buckles quick if he takes a shot. Ben finds a way to make the plays downfield and Brown is quick enough to get down and open. They will connect for some big plays this Sunday, mark it down!. I agree on the Jets pass rush though, they were able to knock Brady around with only a 3 man rush, Brady is a little bitch though lol.

NHStlrfan
01-18-2011, 06:03 PM
You know Brady and Ben are way different styles. Brady buckles quick if he takes a shot. Ben finds a way to make the plays downfield and Brown is quick enough to get down and open. They will connect for some big plays this Sunday, mark it down!. I agree on the Jets pass rush though, they were able to knock Brady around with only a 3 man rush, Brady is a little bitch though lol.

The key in NE was this. The Jets knew the first read was to the opposite side of Revis. So just knock that reciever off his route an you buy a second or two. That's all it takes to get the rush to Brady. The hype that the NE line is soooo good is all hype. Brady's passes are mostly all within 4 seconds. The NE blueprint is to take his first read which is what the Jets did. If NE's line was that good their running game would be #1!

If the Steelers line were that bad they wouldn't be as successful as they are. 1/2 of Ben's sacks are due to him trying to wring everything out of every play. That's his strength and weakness. For one, I'll trade one more sack for one more TD any game!

Steel Trap86
01-18-2011, 06:12 PM
The key in NE was this. The Jets knew the first read was to the opposite side of Revis. So just knock that reciever off his route an you buy a second or two. That's all it takes to get the rush to Brady. The hype that the NE line is soooo good is all hype. Brady's passes are mostly all within 4 seconds. The NE blueprint is to take his first read which is what the Jets did. If NE's line was that good their running game would be #1!

If the Steelers line were that bad they wouldn't be as successful as they are. 1/2 of Ben's sacks are due to him trying to wring everything out of every play. That's his strength and weakness. For one, I'll trade one more sack for one more TD any game!

True story right there.

Last game I'm pretty sure Revis was on Ward, but this time I am 99% sure they stick him on Wallace. Leaving Cromartie on Ward and probably Bart Scott on Miller. If there was ever a time to step up your rookies, this game is it. because it has Sanders, Brown, Redman and Mendenhall written all over it.

K Train
01-18-2011, 06:13 PM
wasnt crazy about the sanders pick and didnt know about brown but i love how fired up these two get. whenever they are on the field they are just hungry. brown is one tough little bastard and has great quickness, neither have the straight line speed of wallace but they are fearless and alot quicker. i think they are gonna be big contributors in the next week (or 3)

steelersbabex25
01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
wasnt crazy about the sanders pick and didnt know about brown but i love how fired up these two get. whenever they are on the field they are just hungry. brown is one tough little bastard and has great quickness, neither have the straight line speed of wallace but they are fearless and alot quicker. i think they are gonna be big contributors in the next week (or 3)

:plus1: It seems like they both know that they have a lot to prove and they give 110% everytime they get on the field. I really hope we get to keep both of these guys for a while and get to see them evolve.

K Train
01-18-2011, 06:23 PM
meanwhile randle el gets on the field and fails miserably. thank god they have given the two rookies the nod over el lately

nuclearchihuahuas
01-18-2011, 06:39 PM
meanwhile randle el gets on the field and fails miserably. thank god they have given the two rookies the nod over el lately

:yellowthumb: :plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

Goodfrom55
01-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Randle El is a good #5 to have. . .not a game breaker anymore, but pretty sure hands and a good gadget playmaker.

K Train
01-18-2011, 06:57 PM
maybe a good #5, no one wants to be a good #5 though lol....hes a terrible #3 and terrible return man

Steel Trap86
01-18-2011, 07:03 PM
lol I wouldn't have a problem with El staying as a #5 if he really wanted to. Just leave the kick returns to Sanders, Brown & Moore. El left after our 05 Superbowl win and his first year back he could get another so you never know he might just stick with the Steelers way down on the depth chart for the remainder of his career.

MDSteel15
01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
:yellowthumb: :plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

What he said :yellowthumb:

Real Deal Steel
01-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't think Revis can run with Wallace. I hope that's the match up because Unlike Manning, Ben will throw it to Wallace with no remorse.

pimplydan
01-19-2011, 12:02 AM
last time they played they had Cromartie on Wallace because Revis wasn't (100% and still isn't ) .

So expect the same matchup .

Wallace flew by Cromartie on one play but Ben overdrew him .

For sure the Jets will have their hands full with our receivers , we just have to give Ben time to get it to them .

Heath Miller didn't play and Spaeth got alot of throws his way , so expect Miller to get alot of action

chisteeler
01-19-2011, 12:23 AM
I have a feeling that ARE makes a big gadget play this week.

pimplydan
01-19-2011, 12:38 AM
That's only if we have to ,I am hoping it won't be necessary . But it's always nice to see .

steelersbabex25
01-19-2011, 08:51 AM
I have a feeling that ARE makes a big gadget play this week.

I have a feeling he'll call a fair catch at his own 7 yard line when there aren't any Jets within 20 yards of him.

NHStlrfan
01-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I have a feeling he'll call a fair catch at his own 7 yard line when there aren't any Jets within 20 yards of him.

Lets all hope you are not Karnac! However that appears to be his MO of late. Too bad too, he has talent, just getting old.

roosterray
01-19-2011, 09:20 AM

Don't you mean Fair catch with a bobble of the football to secure it first. :)

He worries me soo much now in that situation. Its almost as though if ARE is on the field that we aren't going for a return. Only a fair catch on that play. If we want anything positive, Brown will be in there.

pimplydan
01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
How about Brown's catch late in the game holding it up against his helmet.Was that awesome or what?

On kick returns , yes he takes chances ,like taking off on the 7 yard line .

He has a very quick acceleration but he doesn't seem to have that junkability like Mendelhall (for instince).

Sometimes with just one more move he can take a few of those returns to the house.

Root4Stlrs
01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
I was reading another Steeler forum and someone was talking about that late deep route to Brown on 3rd and 19 was an audible by Ben as BA called a 15 yard stop route.

I have no idea how guys get this info but I think when we see those hot routes or slants it is an audible by Ben.

Ben said it in his post-game press conference.

SteelDad
01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
I had the opprotunity to see Brown play in college a few times as he was tearing up my alma mater Western Michigan evey year. I was extremely excited when we drafted him. I don't know if he is as fast as Wallace, but he has to be close.

DIESELMAN
01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Ben said it in his post-game press conference.

Yeah, basically he said **** it, if it gets intercepted, it would be like a punt. So they went for it.....gutsy, ballsy call by Ben!!

WindyCityShaker
01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
True story right there.

Last game I'm pretty sure Revis was on Ward, but this time I am 99% sure they stick him on Wallace. Leaving Cromartie on Ward and probably Bart Scott on Miller. If there was ever a time to step up your rookies, this game is it. because it has Sanders, Brown, Redman and Mendenhall written all over it.

Living in Chicago does have its privileges. I am 90% sure it was during the game against the Bears where Cromartie got burned 5-6 plays giving up at least two TD's. Each time he gave up the big play was when he had to backpeddle, coming forward or laterally he's very sharp, but if you can get him going backward it's a simple shake to the post or corner and it's 6.

I would think to exploit that we'd stick Hines in the slot and let one of (both actually rotating in) play opposite Wallace and see if we can't get Cromartie backing up in coverage.

Steel Trap86
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Living in Chicago does have its privileges. I am 90% sure it was during the game against the Bears where Cromartie got burned 5-6 plays giving up at least two TD's. Each time he gave up the big play was when he had to backpeddle, coming forward or laterally he's very sharp, but if you can get him going backward it's a simple shake to the post or corner and it's 6.

I would think to exploit that we'd stick Hines in the slot and let one of (both actually rotating in) play opposite Wallace and see if we can't get Cromartie backing up in coverage.

Ya that game was just on boxing day. Didn't see the whole thing, but Cutler almost put up 40 points on them. Last game for some ****ed up reason, BA kept using Spaeth after rarely using Miller this season. So hopefully he gets his head out of his *** and uses Miller as a go-to guy since Cromartie and Revis will most likely be on Wallace & Ward. Brown and Sanders should be used more this game too for that exact reason.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-19-2011, 07:27 PM

I remember it as more great coverage than getting a good 3-4 man rush...

K Train
01-19-2011, 07:35 PM
the jets DBs arent known for blanket coverage....revis is, but revis cant run with wallace he is perfectly technically sound but cro will matchup with wallace and cro gets beat deep and is over aggressive....that being said he can also catch really well and has great return ability. i expect sanders and brown to have a big day along with heath.

coach
01-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah, basically he said **** it, if it gets intercepted, it would be like a punt. So they went for it.....gutsy, ballsy call by Ben!!

I agree its a gutsy call by Ben, but don't you wish the OC would do that instead of calling a 15 yard route on a 3rd and 19? Honestly, the game planning icontinues to be sub-par for a final four team. I know the team will have to execute to beat the Jets, but execution of a poor strategy can be as deadly as not executing a good one.

Just for a moment, could you imagine what Pete Carroll's conversation would be like with BA after failing in the playoffs? He would Bates the guy right out of the league the next day.

LatrobePA
01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Not too many plays for 3rd and 19...But I liked that one!! lol