PDA

View Full Version : Steelers & Chargers

Steelerlyn
12-28-2006, 09:49 AM
are the only two teams in the NFL to rank in the top 10 both offensively and defensively. One of those teams is on it's way to becoming the highest ranked team in the AFC and possibly claim the best record in the NFL, and the other team has been eliminated from the playoffs in week 16.
San Diego has turned the ball over an NFL-low 14 times. Pittsburgh has turned the ball over 35 times - only three teams in the NFL have done it more (Oak, Clev, & Det). San Diego has thrown 8 INT's - tied for the league low with eight(St. Louis). Pittsburgh has thrown 22 INT's-only two teams in the NFL have thrown more (Clev & Oak).

To me there is an obvious direct corralation between the records and the turnovers. Doesn't Ben have to manage football games better than he did this year or what is the reason for this? I know it is simple to always blame the coach and the field general, but who else should we question? I mean, of those 35 turnovers, aren't about 10 of them in the red zone? So while the turnovers themselves are bad enough, the timing of many of them has been suicidal. And it all started in Week 3 against the Bengals.

Whatcha think?

House of Steel
12-28-2006, 09:56 AM
interesting facts, nonetheless, and you know the coaching staff will address to this all of next season and training camp. I expect a much improved team for next season. Turnovers coming way down and the production on both sides of the ball being raised to another level. The hunger will be back and a fire will be lit. Trust me, they have to feel embrassed about the season they just had. I think we are about to become the Patriots of 2000s

Black@Gold Forever32
12-28-2006, 10:57 AM
are the only two teams in the NFL to rank in the top 10 both offensively and defensively. One of those teams is on it's way to becoming the highest ranked team in the AFC and possibly claim the best record in the NFL, and the other team has been eliminated from the playoffs in week 16.
San Diego has turned the ball over an NFL-low 14 times. Pittsburgh has turned the ball over 35 times - only three teams in the NFL have done it more (Oak, Clev, & Det). San Diego has thrown 8 INT's - tied for the league low with eight(St. Louis). Pittsburgh has thrown 22 INT's-only two teams in the NFL have thrown more (Clev & Oak).

To me there is an obvious direct corralation between the records and the turnovers. Doesn't Ben have to manage football games better than he did this year or what is the reason for this? I know it is simple to always blame the coach and the field general, but who else should we question? I mean, of those 35 turnovers, aren't about 10 of them in the red zone? So while the turnovers themselves are bad enough, the timing of many of them has been suicidal. And it all started in Week 3 against the Bengals.

Whatcha think?

That is so true about the timing of the turn overs Lyn. Considering before this year that Ben never turned the ball over in the red zone his first two years. This year Ben had alot of turn overs in the red zone. That Bengals game in Sept. still sticks out. The Steelers leading 7-0 and had the ball inside the five and looking to take a 14-0 lead. Ben threw an INT and gave the Bengals life.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Red Zone turnovers are the killer that is for sure, but turnovers in general just killed us so many times. It puts our defense in such a bad position and just takes the wind right out of your sails.

If Ben doesnt throw even half of those picks that he did, we are in the playoffs right now, that much is clear. The Raider game, cincy game, Atlanta are easily in the win column for us.