PDA

View Full Version : Which Hof qb does Ben remind you of?

steelchamp204
01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
I know Ben is Ben and he has his own game and He one of a kind, But who does he remind you of from back in the 70's80's90's? I wasnt born until 88 so I didnt really get to see any of the alltime greats, but for people who have seen the game for a long time, who does Ben remind of kinda?

SteelJunkie
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Well not to many come to mind. I would say Elway if I had to pick one.

LatrobePA
01-17-2011, 03:48 PM
BEN reminds me of BEN!! There's no other QB like him IMO!!

K Train
01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
probably elway

steelersbabex25
01-17-2011, 04:03 PM
I agree with Elway..but I also agree that he's really in a class all by himself. He's a different kind of QB. It's hard to compare him to anyone.

pimplydan
01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Ben is unique .I never saw a QB that looks like him (physically) nor play like him . I know that Bens idiol was John Elway .

John Elway was able to avoid the rush set a pocket out of the pocket and get the ball downfield . He was big and had a sling of an arm and he won 2 superbowls ,he was a winner as well .

So there is some similarities , I also think he walked with toes pointing in like Ben too .Elway could take a hit and was a fearless runner like Ben (head first) .

So yes ,he is sort of like Elway .

Goodfrom55
01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Elway and Fran Tarkenton for his elisiveness and his escapability.

steeldoc
01-17-2011, 05:26 PM
A combination between Elway in his ability to make plays after the line crumbles, and athleticism, and a bit like Terry Bradshaw who was really one of the first big burly howitzer armed guys who was also a bit of a drama queen (Terry much worse than Ben) at times.

steelchamp204
01-17-2011, 06:27 PM
I agree with Elway..but I also agree that he's really in a class all by himself. He's a different kind of QB. It's hard to compare him to anyone.

I agree with you 100%, Ben is in his own element of play, Ive been watching the game since I can remember about 1994-95 and Its just hard to remember anyone in there prime that I can compare Ben to. Dont get me wrong, when Ben retires I think alot of people are going to be trying to compare there qbs to him. I think alot of teams would take Ben and his illusivness over a reg pocket passer like manning or brady.

RIVERS OF STEEL
01-17-2011, 08:12 PM
ben is a one of a kind. sorry. bradshaw had recievers that could catch anything thrown there way vs ben. he will get it to you, be open be ready.

T4V
01-17-2011, 08:27 PM
McNair isn't, and I'm 99.9% sure won't be in the HOF..but they resemble each other greatly, in terms of comparing him to retired QBs, when talking similar play. Elway, like you guys said, is probably the closest in the HOF, but there's a good bit of difference between them.

Big T
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Ben Roethlisberger = two wins away from the Hall of Fame IMO

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2011, 08:32 PM
I always have said Ben has always compared to John Elway since they compare in similar playing styles....Elway had the stronger arm though.....Ben's arm is strong enough but isn't the cannon arm Elway had.............

Troyisabeast_43
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I would definitely compare Ben to John Elway as well if I had to compare him to anybody. He just has that late game magic about him and he just somehow always finds ways to come through in the clutch and win big games. The completion to Antonio Brown on 3rd and 19 is just one more chapter to add to the legend that Ben Roethlisberger has created since becoming the QB of the Steelers in 2004. I expect him to add one more chapter to that legend this coming Sunday at Heinz Field when he out plays Sancshitz and leads the Steelers to another Super Bowl...I simply just would not bet against Ben Roethlisberger in a big game he is that good and the guy just has that "IT" factor about him and knows how to win the big games and he will show that again at Heinz Field against the Jets come Sunday night...

nuclearchihuahuas
01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Elway is the closest to Ben's style of play...big difference is that Ben already had 2 SB rings so in my book, he is significantly better.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
In Elway's defense early on in is career when he lost those three Super Bowls there was nothing really around him at all..........He carried those Super Bowl Broncos teams really.......Plus he lost to some damn really good teams in those three Super Bowls......

I'm not an Elway fan at all either......I'm just being objective.......

T4V
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah, Elway was practically a one man show, offense wise in those days. Shannon Sharpe didn't really break through until like his 4th season in the league, and I think that was in 93 or 94. Rod Smith and Terrelle Davis are the pieces that really took the Broncos over the top.

MDSteel15
01-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I would never compare Ben to Elway! He doesn't whine like a baby and Ben is loyal to his team... Ben went where he was drafted and has made the best out of it! Elway was a regular season QB and a big game choker until he got a very good RB!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-17-2011, 09:21 PM
BEN reminds me of BEN!! There's no other QB like him IMO!!

I would agree with that, there are no QB's in the league now that do what he does. If there was one HoF or former QB that reminds me of Ben it would be Elway. John had that great ability to escape pressure, he was tough as nails, and able to make plays with guys hanging all over him.

steelchamp204
01-17-2011, 09:59 PM

i THINK if our secondary shuts down the jets wr's then the steelers will win against the packers, im calling it, its gonna be the oackers vs. steelers, but we have to stop the passing game. If Ben gets 3, then he is DEF in the hof

K Train
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM

being labeled a rapist by the world will keep him out no matter what his credentials are

steelchamp204
01-17-2011, 10:06 PM
being labeled a rapist by the world will keep him out no matter what his credentials are

Isnt there anything that syas he innicent I mean really, soemthing?

K Train
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
doesnt matter, the haters will call him a rapist despite no charges or evidence. he may be one of the best players not in the hall

Scorp
01-17-2011, 10:34 PM

Ben was well on his way into the HOF when he won his first title. He sealed the deal when he got #2. Glad Ben is on our team and i would say he is a modern Elway. As many stated before me, most of them agree.

acero
01-17-2011, 10:42 PM
a stronger elway

Scorp
01-17-2011, 10:49 PM
a stronger elway

In 4 words. You said it Bro. :yellowthumb:

Nolrog
01-18-2011, 07:55 AM
He one of a kind, But who does he remind you of from back in the 70's80's90's?

No one. He's got a unique style.

LarryNJ
01-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Elway or even Jim Kelly. Kelly was big and a master of the no huddle. Ben does a good job in the no huddle simply because BA is out of the picture. :)

Speaking of BA, I read on Ben's pass to Brown that BA called for the receivers to run 17 yard patterns. Ben being smart enough to realize that 17 would be 2 yards short of the 19 needed changed the play. Did anyone else hear that?

steelersbabex25
01-18-2011, 11:15 AM

So the fact that it's been said by practically everyone that he's turned his act around doesn't count for anything?