PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the Jets game

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 08:51 PM
We were right about what the Steelers needed to do to beat the Ravens, now what do they need to do to beat the Jets? We're probably all a lot less familiar with the Jets, obviously, but from watching the game tonight I can pick up a thing or two that we need to do on both sides of the ball.

On defense we need to get to Sanchez. He's a young quarterback, he'll scare easy. If we put as much pressure on him as we did on Flacco, I'm guessing we would get the same result. He'll panic, the rest of the offense panics, the whole thing snowballs out of control, we pick up a few turnovers and our offense capitalizes.

Which brings me to the offense. They did a good job of capitalizing on all the turnovers against the Ravens, we need to keep doing that against the Jets. If we get the ball on their side of the field, we need to score a touchdown, not a field goal. We need to burry these Jets. We can't leave them hanging around cause we'll certainly pay for it if we do.

We also need to find a way to get the ball to our young receivers. Obviously BA refuses to give Heath the touches he deserves, and Hines looks slower and slower by the minute. Somehow our young guys (Wallace, Brown, and Sanders) need to figure out how to get open against a very good Jets secondary. It's a lot to ask from them, but they got a good practice run against a worse, but still mediocre Ravens secondary.

What else needs to happen for the Steelers to win?

steelchamp204
01-16-2011, 08:53 PM
cant we just combine threads we just started, itd would be a good combo.

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
cant we just combine threads we just started, itd would be a good combo.

Which thread? I saw 43 just started a thread about stuff from the Jets game in December. They could all be combined I guess :dunno:

steelchamp204
01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
I think heath needs to get 6-9 balls thrown to his this game. Run some quick slants and dont start ur wr's out on the lines so they have less of a chance to get jammed, and Hood has to play like he did lastweek to stop sanchez and the run. I noticed tonight sanchez likes to throw alot of passes in between the numbers and the jets on 3rd and long dont mind rushing in them situations to try and catch the defense off guard.

--- Added 1/16/2011 at 07:56 PM ---

Which thread? I saw 43 just started a thread about stuff from the Jets game in December. They could all be combined I guess :dunno:

Lol I was jking, I thought itd be kool what matchups your looking for and this thread lol.

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Lol I was jking, I thought itd be kool what matchups your looking for and this thread lol.

:lol: Maybe this one will be moved. We shall see, we shall see.

steelchamp204
01-16-2011, 09:06 PM
So you think we get heath involved here pretty heavy? I dont see the pass rush that bad of the jets from the outside, mostly up the middle which should mean heath wont have to chip block so much and run som e routes.

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
BA will never get Heath involved as much as he should be. Regardless of the circumstances. He'll serve the same purpose in this game as he has every game this season.

steelchamp204
01-16-2011, 09:10 PM
BA will never get Heath involved as much as he should be. Regardless of the circumstances. He'll serve the same purpose in this game as he has every game this season.

No i got its, Ba will call a screen for heathe about 1 yard pass the line of scrimmage lmao

nuclearchihuahuas
01-16-2011, 09:14 PM
I'd say we need to play the hurry up offense all game long, but the Jets like to fake injuries to slow down an offense in hurry up mode.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2011, 09:19 PM
The key is, the Steelers cannot be afraid to attack the Jets secondary. You can't shy away from good DB's because you limit yourselves too much and that plays right into the hands of the Jets. Revis is good, no question but Cromartie can be thrown on and we certainly have more than 2 good WR's for Ben to throw too.

The Jets will be aggressive, they play like we do. They will attack when necessary and aren't afraid to send the house leaving the secondary 1 on 1. Ben needs use that quick passing game he found on Saturday night to his advantage. He'll never be confused for a Dan Marino quick release or a Tom Brady get the ball out of your hands in 2 seconds, but it was something different we haven't seen as much of this year.

Goodfrom55
01-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Steelers need to sharpen up their kick coverage teams - PERIOD!

Defensively, pressure Sanchez and the CB's have to take away the slants to Holmes and Edwards. Otherwise, be stout against the run, and play physical, smart football.

Offensively, Timely running, time of posession, get 7's not 3's and take care of the football - and Ben.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Ben and the WR's actually had success against the Jets and that was still when Ben was dealing with his foot/nose.....Sure those injuries still linger but I think he is closer to 100 percent then the last time these two teams met.......

1. SPECIAL TEAMS is number 1 key in this game...........I use caps for a reason since Brad Smith went house the last time..........Field position through out the game will be huge.........

2. Turn overs-Is always key in a football game especially in the play-offs

3. Protect the QB on offense and Rush the QB on Defense-Which team that fails to protect their QB and which team does the better job of pressuring the QB will be huge.....

4. Don't Let Santonio Be Great-We all know first hand of Holmes being a big game player.........I don't think I have to remind any of you of that......

steelchamp204
01-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Ben and the WR's actually had success against the Jets and that was still when Ben was dealing with his foot/nose.....Sure those injuries still linger but I think he is closer to 100 percent then the last time these two teams met.......

1. SPECIAL TEAMS is number 1 key in this game...........I use caps for a reason since Brad Smith went house the last time..........Field position through out the game will be huge.........

3. Protect the QB on offense and Rush the QB on Defense-Which team that fails to protect their QB and which team does the better job of pressuring the QB will be huge.....

4. Don't Let Santonio Be Great-We all know first hand of Holmes being a big game player.........I don't think I have to remind any of you of that......

Im more worried about tone than edwards, I think edwards is more worried about doing the "comb my hair, but my helmet is in the way, dance" Like I said earlier. Sanchez tonight was all in between the numbers throwing except for the little flares to the rb. We shut down rice no problem so im not worried about tomlinson or greene, we just need to shut down keller and holmes.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Holmes is the best WR after the catch in the NFL and we know he was clutch for us and he has been clutch for the Jets...........He isn't the brightest person in life but that dude can play some football........

Steel Trap86
01-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Holmes is MONEY man, he can cross Brady and the Patriots off his list of teams he victimized in the final minutes of a game. That TD sealed the game for the Jets today. Ike Taylor needs to account for him on every play, especially if it's still a tight game in the 4th they are going to look for Holmes to make a play and we all know he can catch!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Hell that is my Holmes jersey I'm wearing in my profile pic....Still have the jersey and will not get rid of it....He is the enemy now but he made one of the greatest catches in Steelers history to win a Super Bowl....He helped beat the Pats today so the AFC title game will be held in Pittsburgh.....I will always be a Holmes fan........

Steelers can't let him be great on Sunday.........Ike must shadow him......But if Ike does then Edwards height could be a serious problem for McFadden or Gay........

pimplydan
01-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Don't worry ,Ike takes care of Holmes and Lebeau will use different schemes to halt Edwards .
Blitz , cover 2 , bump and run , we'll have it all covered

Black@Gold Forever32
01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Don't worry ,Ike takes care of Holmes and Lebeau will use different schemes to halt Edwards .
Blitz , cover 2 , bump and run , we'll have it all covered

I'm not worried at all....Just looking at potential match up problems......

Real Deal Steel
01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Steelers need to sharpen up their kick coverage teams - PERIOD!

Defensively, pressure Sanchez and the CB's have to take away the slants to Holmes and Edwards. Otherwise, be stout against the run, and play physical, smart football.

Offensively, Timely running, time of posession, get 7's not 3's and take care of the football - and Ben.

Yeah..special teams is a concern. We can't afford any more return TD's. I'm thinking we will need to play the best all around game that we've played all season to win this game.

Scorp
01-17-2011, 02:00 AM
When the Jets crash in to the Steelers Defense it's all over. Jets come crashing down. Sorry Rex.

LarryNJ
01-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Hell that is my Holmes jersey I'm wearing in my profile pic......

Keep the jersey for sure, but change your avatar...at least for this week. :)

I'm confident that we'll be fine on D. And we'll have a plan for that pt smoking jagoff. :) I also think that Rex will have a good game plan against our O. Our O line is still the weak link that he's sure to take advantage of. We may need points off of turn overs to win. As mentioned before ST needs to do a better job. The Jets gave up a huge return late in that game so maybe it'ss time for us to get 6 on a return.

steelersbabex25
01-17-2011, 11:24 AM
If the special teams play like they did against the Rats, I think we'll be okay. Minus the kickoff where Sweezy had to make a tackle and the punt return that was called back, they did a pretty good job. Kept them behind their own 30. That's all they really need to do for the defense.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Special Teams is a big X factor in this game. The Steelers can ill afford to allow another opening drive TD. I'm quite sure they will be watching the film of that first matchup this week in the special teams meetings. If the Jets don't score that TD or we don't allow that stupid Safety, we win that game. We gave it away on bad play call and poor coverage. Credit the Jets for capitalizing but the Steelers will correct those mistakes.

Phenomenal TJ
01-18-2011, 04:50 AM
OLB's have to set the edge every play after the Sanchez touchdown we got burned on.

LarryNJ
01-18-2011, 05:12 AM
Special Teams is a big X factor in this game. .

Nick Foley is Jeff Reed of NY, he could very easily miss a 30 yarder in Heinz Field.

Sanders/Brown will be key. You have to assume that Cromartie and Revis will not give up much. But Coleman and Wilson very well could. When Ben escapes the pressure these 2 very well will be on the end of a big play or 2.

DIESELMAN
01-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Like Farrior and other vets said before the Ratbirds game. "Just do your job, don't be looking to make the big play, there are plenty of play makers on this team, it will happen when it happens." As far as the coverage team, stay in your lanes!!

airbrake 1
01-18-2011, 07:42 AM
defense
1. stuff the jets running game , force sanchez to throw to win the game
2. hit sanchez early and often

offense
1.establish run game
2. get heath miller involved in the passing game
3. sanders and brown could be the x-factors in the game as revis will probably watching wallace...could also be a time for hines ward to have a big game especially on third down
4. keep ellis away from ben

we do this we should win fairly easily...go steelers:tt02:

jtretz
01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
#1) Put constant pressure on Sanchez

#2) Shut down Tomlinson and Greene

#3) Cover kick off and punts well!

#4) No turnovers!

and #5) Have the NFL give Santonio Holmes a random drug test. :cope:

StlersGuy
01-18-2011, 09:42 AM

this is the key I think and I look for our D to do just that
http://www.sofantasyfootball.com/nfl/images/smilies/jets_suck.gif

SteelDad
01-18-2011, 09:46 AM
In his 2-year career, Sanchez has always struggled earlier in games rather than later. Since the Pats game, LeBeau has chosen to bring pressure later in games rather than earlier so perhaps with Sanchez's history this may move DL to change things up a bit.

cmerrifield
01-18-2011, 09:53 AM
I hope Aaron Smith is ready to play some against the Jets, we could use him in rotation to keep the front 3 guys fresh.

Phenomenal TJ
01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
lol @ the last one.

steelersbabex25
01-18-2011, 10:03 AM
I hope Aaron Smith is ready to play some against the Jets, we could use him in rotation to keep the front 3 guys fresh.

He won't go. They said if they make it to the Superbowl he'll be ready.

steelersbabex25
01-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Nick Foley is Jeff Reed of NY, he could very easily miss a 30 yarder in Heinz Field.

He missed a 34 yarder I think it was at Foxboro. I know Foxboro isn't exactly Cowboys Stadium, but I think it's probably harder to kick at Heinz.

JensK
01-18-2011, 10:53 AM
To me, it is pretty simply. Two things have to be done in order to win.

1. The o-line have to be able to pick up the pressure. Jets did an outstanding job getting Brady on his back for most of the game. They did it with everything from overload blitzes to just 3 man rush. If the o-line, and Ben as well, can pick it up, we'll be in great shape.

2. Hit Sanchez! I believe that Sanchez can become a very very good QB in a couple of years, but right now he just ain't. When he get pressured he makes really stupid decisions. He is hard to sack though, so wrapping up (in all assets of the game really) is key.

JensK
01-18-2011, 10:55 AM

#2) Shut down Tomlinson and Greene

#3) Cover kick off and punts well!

#4) No turnovers!

and #5) Have the NFL give Santonio Holmes a random drug test. :cope:

Not counting #5, that is the key to win all games. Pressure the QB, shut down the run, don't turn the ball over and don't let them score on ST. That is not just a Jets thing :P

Goodfrom55
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Gotta pressure Sanchez up the middle; Casey Hampton will have to dig down and really have a game vs Nick Mangold. This game will be won or lost on the O/D Lines, and kick coverage. As long as Ben continues checking his ego at the door and just plays good football like he has been doing, I like the Steelers chances.

I can guarantee there won't be any naked bootleg TD's this time around.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-18-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm sticking with my four but moving up don't let Santonio be great to 2..........Holmes has the talent to take over games and is the most dangerous WR after the catch in the NFL especially when he run the quick slant........If the Steelers special teams just can win the field position battle and allow no kick returns for scores and the D can limit Holmes being a factor in the game then I like the Steelers chances big time....

TampaSteelGirl
01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
I think we need to blitz and blitz Sanchez..didn't see that the previous game. I think we can stop LT....This is going to be a great game though!!!

First things first.......OUR SPECIAL TEAMS BETTER STEP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodfrom55
01-18-2011, 03:14 PM
The more the week goes on and the bigger the knot in mystomach gets, I realize in large part, the key to this game is the Steelers ability to cover kicks and punts. I would have no problem with Suisham kicking off high to the 15 or 20 or squibbing it the way they have been. It's the low liner to the goalline that often spells doom for coverage teams.

As far as Kapinos goes, no point in punting a 48 yard punt to have it retuened 15 yards; hang it up there 40 yards and force a fair catch. And for once, for the love of all things holy, can we please angle the punt to the sideline when trying to pin the Jets deep in their territory? I can't continue watching punts bounce into the endzone time after time.

cmerrifield
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM

NAKED BOOTLEG, Rex is that you? :yesnod:

sorry couldnt resist, just left the "feet" thread

EmDiggy
01-19-2011, 08:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOSxj5ZXcxw

Good Morning Steelers Fans!! Good Luck this Week! One win away from the Super Bowl

Em

jetsknicks1
01-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Gotta pressure Sanchez up the middle; Casey Hampton will have to dig down and really have a game vs Nick Mangold. This game will be won or lost on the O/D Lines, and kick coverage. As long as Ben continues checking his ego at the door and just plays good football like he has been doing, I like the Steelers chances.

ben & Mark are similar in the fact that if you pressire them up the middle they can both scramble out of the pocket & make throws. I think the key for both DLs is to apply pressure from the outside and stop the QBs from being able to get outside.

pimplydan
01-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Good point ! I've seen Sanchez roll out on those designed plays and throw it downfield,but that's on designed plays .
When he gets flushed out I don't think he is as effective as Ben .

Nobody can make something out of nothing like Ben .

jetsknicks1
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Good point ! I've seen Sanchez roll out on those designed plays and throw it downfield,but that's on designed plays .
When he gets flushed out I don't think he is as effective as Ben .

Nobody can make something out of nothing like Ben .

I'm guessing you didn't see the throw to Edwards against the Pats. pressure up the middle caused the pocket to collapse, Mark rolled to his left, pointed downfield to where he wanted Edwars to go and then hit him with a great pass over the shoulder, against the sideline.

NHStlrfan
01-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm guessing you didn't see the throw to Edwards against the Pats. pressure up the middle caused the pocket to collapse, Mark rolled to his left, pointed downfield to where he wanted Edwars to go and then hit him with a great pass over the shoulder, against the sideline.

Its just not the same without someone hanging around your waist. Especially when that someone Suggs or Ngata! It's a bit different looking at the #1 defense than it is the #25 defense. Still going to be a fun one. Sanchez does have potential I'll give you that. Refer to my post about the Jets and Sanchez not sucking.

jetsknicks1
01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Its just not the same without someone hanging around your waist. Especially when that someone Suggs or Ngata! It's a bit different looking at the #1 defense than it is the #25 defense. Still going to be a fun one. Sanchez does have potential I'll give you that. Refer to my post about the Jets and Sanchez not sucking.
No doubt Ben's a big strong guy. It'll be important for our pass rushers to not just grab ahold of Ben, but to knock him on his back every chance they get.

NHStlrfan
01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
No doubt Ben's a big strong guy. It'll be important for our pass rushers to not just grab ahold of Ben, but to knock him on his back every chance they get.

That's the trouble Ben poses that Peyton and Tom did not. At least 2 and more likely 3 of the 5 sacks on Tom, Ben would not have gone down. Tom had the same look in his eyes after the first pick that I saw in '81 in Bradshaw. It just aint worth it no more and I would rather be playing warm. Brady didn't have the drive in that game he did in the regular season. Not sure why, but it was evident. Could have been the pressure, the hype, personal, whatever and likely all the above.

JensK
01-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Our outside passrush is the best in the league tho. The pats outside rush is horrible. Sure, Pats can collapse the middle with Wilfork and Mayo, but it is too easy to avoid that with the lack of pressure from the outside. Pittsburgh does it all. Stunt blitzes, X-fire blitzes and a tong of outside pressure, also from overload blitzes. Sanchez is not going to be able to escape the same way against Steelers as he did against Pats.

jetstream
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM

which means Mangold will have to get beat which is NOT an easy task at all. The key to pressuring Sanchez is on the outsides vs Slausen

--- Added 1/19/2011 at 11:07 AM ---

Our outside passrush is the best in the league tho. The pats outside rush is horrible. Sure, Pats can collapse the middle with Wilfork and Mayo, but it is too easy to avoid that with the lack of pressure from the outside. Pittsburgh does it all. Stunt blitzes, X-fire blitzes and a tong of outside pressure, also from overload blitzes. Sanchez is not going to be able to escape the same way against Steelers as he did against Pats.

keep in mind...he was very well protected against mathis and Freeney on Indy in round 1...those 2 combined for 23 sacks

NHStlrfan
01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
which means Mangold will have to get beat which is NOT an easy task at all. The key to pressuring Sanchez is on the outsides vs Slausen

keep in mind...he was very well protected against mathis and Freeney on Indy in round 1...those 2 combined for 23 sacks

The running game was the clear difference there not Sanchez' passes. He did enough to win again against a D that's not in the top tier. Play action and the short game are what he needs to rely on against a top D. You can say the same thing about what Cutler did against Seatle Sunday. That wasn't a real test. Time will tell.

JensK
01-19-2011, 12:18 PM

I don't think you follow me here... I know that Jets have a very good o-line, and that they are more than capable to protect Sanchez, but Indy and Pats hardly compare to Steelers. They are very one-dimensional on defense (if there is such a term), meaning they can provide either pressure from the outside or the inside. Steelers does it all, and thats what we've been winning games on for quite some time. I am not claiming that Sanchez can't buy himself time, nor do I claim that Jets don't have a great o-line; I just don't believe that he'll be able to do those things against Steelers, as our defense is much much better than both Pats and Indy, and they are playing out of their minds at the moment.

steelersbabex25
01-19-2011, 02:28 PM
ben & Mark are similar in the fact that if you pressire them up the middle they can both scramble out of the pocket & make throws. I think the key for both DLs is to apply pressure from the outside and stop the QBs from being able to get outside.

Please do not compare Ben Roethlisberger to Mark Sanchez. Ben is 10x the quarterback that Sanchez is.

jetsknicks1
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Please do not compare Ben Roethlisberger to Mark Sanchez. Ben is 10x the quarterback that Sanchez is.

Relax I'm comparing one aspect of their games.

Scorp
01-19-2011, 04:12 PM
5 ways to defeat jets in no particular order.

Great coverage, keep the ball out of Sanchez's hands, clock control, and pure pressure-(dick dialing up the right calls). And finally, don't put yourself in a position to have to make a late 4th quarter comeback.

TEEMONT
01-19-2011, 04:38 PM
#6 - Make Suisham kick barefoot....

Go 'Lers
01-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Corner blitz is our best chance for surprise and to avoid the Jets solid front four. Mangold will take more than a man to beat him...too much focus on guy.

jetsknicks1
01-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Corner blitz is our best chance for surprise and to avoid the Jets solid front four. Mangold will take more than a man to beat him...too much focus on guy.

Corner blitz is a good point. We're strong up the middle but with Slausen & Hunter on the ends, it's a good place to try to exploit.

pimplydan
01-19-2011, 08:43 PM
keep in mind that they are very unpredictable

EX: quarterback sneak on 4th down for a touchdown

EX: direct snap to running back on 3rd down

EX: going to the air with the lead in the 4th quarter with less than 2 minutes

They are not afraid to go for the juggler , don't under estimate Rex Ryan

take away the running game and get pressure on Sanchez with sophisticated blitz packages . Be careful on ST . Mix it up run and pass , keep them guessing .

If we take care of the football , and don't let them stay in the game with penalties
we will be fine .

LarryNJ
01-19-2011, 10:27 PM
keep in mind that they are very unpredictable

I look for them to come out firing the ball down field not running it. Just like Cowher did against the Colts. It's risky sure but the rewards if it works would be huge. Their D is good enough to hold a lead if they get one. Rex isn't Bill Cowher it won't take him 15 years to try something different.

That being said I think our D will be ready for whatever they throw at us. My biggest worry for the 18th week now is what will our O line be like.

jetsknicks1
01-20-2011, 11:01 AM
I look for them to come out firing the ball down field not running it. Just like Cowher did against the Colts. It's risky sure but the rewards if it works would be huge. Their D is good enough to hold a lead if they get one. Rex isn't Bill Cowher it won't take him 15 years to try something different.

That being said I think our D will be ready for whatever they throw at us. My biggest worry for the 18th week now is what will our O line be like.

Your D is defly a huge concern and Shottys gonna need to come up with a very inventive gameplan to keep them guessing. Our DL will need to keep up the good play and try to keep Ben from springing to the outside.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-21-2011, 04:21 PM
One thing we know we can't have is any crazy gadget plays at the wrong time, and God please no delayed draws if we're backed up. Arians' gameplan is going to be a big part of winning this game for the Steelers. You can't be conservative and just sit back and not throw down field because of their DB's. I honestly don't think they will either, Ben is not afraid to give his guys a chance to make a play. They'll take their shot, as long as they do it smartly they can be successful. I like our chances with our fast, strong WR's. I especially like the use of Ward and Miller in this game. When the going gets tough you always go back to your automatic money guys.

At this stage, especially on key 3rd downs you better believe Ben will look for Heath or Hines if he can. Wallace, Brown, and Sanders have proven they can make clutch catches too so that leaves us with a lot of options. Still though, I look for Ward and Miller to make an impact.

LarryNJ
01-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Arians' gameplan is going to be a big part of winning this game for the Steelers.

We're F'd! :lol::lol:

LatrobePA
01-21-2011, 04:25 PM
20 bucks says they come out and go after Revis...I just got a feeling (not good and not bad)...

steelchamp204
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Its all about our o-line against the defensive pressure. mark it.

LarryNJ
01-21-2011, 04:45 PM
SUNDAY JANUARY 23
6:30 pm New York Jets Pittsburgh Steelers

Myron Cope (January 23, 1929 February 27, 2008)
Happy Birthday Myron! :cope::cope::cope::cope::cope::cope:

Vikes defensive coordinator becomes Steelers coach
on Jan. 23, 2007

Happy Anniversary Mike! :):tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

WindyCityShaker
01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I think that in a straight up game all things considered if we neutralize the return game and tackle well we hold a distinct advantage. Penalties are key as well we need to be physical but we cannot commit penalties at critical junctures of the game as we've been suspect to this season, especially the stupid ones (I'm looking at you Kemo).

That being said I go back to neutralizing the return game, and staying disciplined on defense. I PRAY, PRAY, PRAY the coaches are reminding the secondary that LT has 7 TD passes in his career. It's been years since he's done it, and I don't know that they'd chance it in huge game, especially if conditions are tough. I just know I do not want to blow a game on a trick play. They called that bootleg last game which I'm positive we'll lock down this game but I fear that just means they're going to look for another advantage.

Bottom line I believe in my heart we're the better team, mistake free football means we're heading to Dallas.

Rampage
01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
1 - Do not spot them points. The special teams and offense spotted the Jets 9 points in the meeting earlier this year and if it weren't for these points, the Steelers would have walked away victorious. The special teams must be prepared to fight the battle for field position which will be key in this matchup.

2 - Stop the run game. If Sanchize can't play with a run game, it puts more weight on his shoulders to be successful.

3 - Pressure the QB. Again, pile on the stress. This team needs The Sanchize to feel uncomfortable and out of rhythm. Sack him, knock him down, bat down passes, etc. It will force a mistake.

4 - Keep the ball. The offense needs to maintain possession of the ball by running on this Jets team. Protecting the rock is huge as well. Fumbles and interceptions are going to kill you in this one.

5 - Play the rookies. Ward, Wallace, and Miller are obviously going to be the three primary targets for the Jets to defend. In order to be successful, this team must get the ball into the hands of Sanders and Brown. These kids are playing at a high level this year and give the Steelers a great edge. It is up to Arians to recognize this and capitalize.

JFE
01-21-2011, 05:11 PM
20 bucks says they come out and go after Revis...I just got a feeling (not good and not bad)...

Gutsie move, but may be worth a try, you never know.:eek1:

--- Added 1/21/2011 at 04:11 PM ---

1 - Do not spot them points. The special teams and offense spotted the Jets 9 points in the meeting earlier this year and if it weren't for these points, the Steelers would have walked away victorious. The special teams must be prepared to fight the battle for field position which will be key in this matchup.

2 - Stop the run game. If Sanchize can't play with a run game, it puts more weight on his shoulders to be successful.

3 - Pressure the QB. Again, pile on the stress. This team needs The Sanchize to feel uncomfortable and out of rhythm. Sack him, knock him down, bat down passes, etc. It will force a mistake.

4 - Keep the ball. The offense needs to maintain possession of the ball by running on this Jets team. Protecting the rock is huge as well. Fumbles and interceptions are going to kill you in this one.

5 - Play the rookies. Ward, Wallace, and Miller are obviously going to be the three primary targets for the Jets to defend. In order to be successful, this team must get the ball into the hands of Sanders and Brown. These kids are playing at a high level this year and give the Steelers a great edge. It is up to Arians to recognize this and capitalize.

Makes sense except for number 4. Dont think you will run well against our D.

LatrobePA
01-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Gutsie move, but may be worth a try, you never know.:eek1:

--- Added 1/21/2011 at 04:11 PM ---

Why shy away because he's made plays all year. You just never know, it's all about match-ups! Oh and our OC isn't the sharpest tool in the shed!!

Goodfrom55
01-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Some things that I haven't seen discussed here this week that Steelers need to be aware of:

Chippy stuff - Steelers need to swallow pride and walk away from the pushing and shoving - easy way to get 15 yard penalty and kill a drive (flozell vs Jets). Walk away and be smart - don't take the bait.

Dustin Keller - No one has brought up Jets TE this week, but this guy could also be an X factor for the Jets if ignored.

Play to the whistle - for obvious reasons.

Offensively, follow the play - look for an opportunity to recover a fumble is one occurs or deflected pass - Immaculate reception (Franco said coach Paterno always instilled into him to follow the play because you never know).

Smart blocking - If the ball carrier is past you, there is no need to lay out someone, just get in their way. A lot of penalties occur away from the ball- mostly stupid penalties (roughing). Again, don't take the bait.

RB's: Cover the ball in traffic
Receivers: Come back to the ball while out in a pattern.

Punt Returners: If you are not going to catch the punt, then you'd better block the gunners so they can't down the ball near the goalline.

Regarding Special Teams, expect the unexpected - Weatherford has executed fake punts successfully in the past.

Anyone have anything to add?

Troyisabeast_43
01-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Not that I can think of at the moment. I think most of the points you hit on are spot on. You hit the nail on the head with the 15 yard penalties this season that the Steelers have been taking way too much. Flozell did take a real stupid one as you mentioned the last Jets game that really stalled a nice drive for the Steelers past midfield and kind of turned the game around for the Jets afterwords. Those kinds of things simply put cannot happen in this game Sunday because if they do the Steelers will be in huge huge trouble...

WindyCityShaker
01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
I mentioned the same thing in the keys thread. Penalties have crept up at the worst possible time this year, especially after the play. We cannot afford to have a first down called back, a big return negated......we must play disciplined.

Agree also on the gadget plays, I think they may have to and probably will pull something out of the hat. Keep an eye on LT passing if he takes it out extra wide toward the sideline.

Special Teams.....period.

Goodfrom55
01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Keep an eye on LT passing if he takes it out extra wide toward the sideline.

EXACTLY, like last time when he lined up almost shoulder to shoulder with Dirty Sanchez and took a direct snap for a run around left end for a 1st down on a 3rd down play.

Regarding the HB pass, Corners and safeties have to stay on their keys. Corners come up, safetie(s) stays back.

One more thing to add, If the play starts away from (you) , stay home to make sure it doesn't come back the other way (bootleg - HARRISON!!!!!! or end around). Take away the cutback lanes on off tackle runs. Most running plays are designed to cut back to gain the most yardage.

--- Added 1/21/2011 at 05:16 PM ---

oh yeah, and blitz with fury, but under control. Don't want to take (yourself) out of the play because (you're) in there full speed and the QB simply side steps (you). Same thing applies on punt coverage. Stay upfield on the returner. Once (you're) even with him, he's basically past you unless (you're) tackling him.

Christ, I can go on forever. Is it Sunday yet?

Farrior Fan
01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
No need to play with any dime D. Their WR's will not be open in 2 seconds so we should get more than adequate pressure on Sanchez. As long as Braylon doesn't have a big day we are fine on D. The TE does concern me a bit but other than the Pats and Ravens - TE's have not done much against us. On Offense - run the ball and throw deep to Wallace. It has worked pretty well all year. Find Heath a couple of times to keep the safetys up so Wallace can do another slam dunk on the goalposts.

Special teams - obvious - don't allow the big return that could be a game changer.

Real Deal Steel
01-22-2011, 12:34 AM
We need to lean on Mendenhall as much as possible and not give up on the running game. Nobody is talking about our running game but we need for Mendenhall to be somewhat of a factor.

I'd like to get him out on the edges where he can run hard and punish the Jets CB's.

steelersbabex25
01-22-2011, 01:07 AM

They can if they utilize all their weapons well. But hey, we do have BA. That probably won't be happening.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Jets usually only draft 4 DL on game days and Ellis has a bum knee......Now I'm not talking LB's that might put their hands down in nickel/dime packages.....I'm talking just DL..........The Jets DL has to be gassed at this point and banged up Ellis could spell doom for the Jets DL especially late in the game.....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-22-2011, 10:30 AM
This game will be chippy right from the start, you can bet on that. The Steelers will need to keep their composure and let the Jets get those flags. You refs will not hesitate to toss around personal fouls in a game like this where both teams are known to be physical.

Goodfrom55
01-22-2011, 11:10 AM
This game will be chippy right from the start, you can bet on that. The Steelers will need to keep their composure and let the Jets get those flags. You refs will not hesitate to toss around personal fouls in a game like this where both teams are known to be physical.

BTW, who are the refs this Sunday?

Nolrog
01-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Anyone have anything to add?

Steelers gave up 9 points due to misc. things last time. That was the difference in the game (well, not to mention the non-pass interference call that kept us from a TD.)

Pitt has to be much better this time around in terms of special teams. That's becoming an issue AGAIN!

jpele
01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
BTW, who are the refs this Sunday?

Jets @ Steelers:

Referee- Ed Hochuli
Umpire- Garth DeFelice (Blakeman)
HL- Mark Hittner (Hochuli)
LJ- Tom Symonette (Hochuli)
SJ- Laird Hayes (Carey)
BJ- Dino Paganelli (Steratore)
FJ- Bob Waggoner (Steratore)
ALT Referee- Ron Winter
ALT FJ- Boris Cheek (Cheffers)

>>>HERE<<< (http://www.football-refs.com/nfl-referees-by-season/2010-crews/playoffssuper-bowl/)

SteelDad
01-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Special teams, special teams, special teams. We don't have to win the game here, but we MUST NOT lose it here either.