PDA

View Full Version : Some quick things about that loss to the Jets back on December 19th at Heinz Field...

Troyisabeast_43
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
The Steelers offense played really good in that first game here Dec 19th against the Jets. They ran the ball well with Mendy,and the o-line protected Ben really well and he made a lot of big plays throwing the ball. The Jets offense in this game keep in mind only scored 1 offensive TD and that was on the Sanchez bootleg play on 4th down. The other points were generated off a safety there at the end of the game which we all remember,the opening kick-off return by Brad Smith,and two Nick Folk FG's. Keep in mind the Steelers didnt really need to win that game the last time against the Jets and the Jets needed it more just to qualify for the playoffs since they had lost 2 games in a row going into that game with us. Plus, not only did the Steelers not have Troy for that game either they also didnt have Heath Miller as well. They threw to Spaeth a ton in that game and he ended up dropping the game winning TD pass on that final drive.

The bottom line is you gotta give the Jets credit for finding a way to beat both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in back to back weeks. However, they will not be able to beat Ben Roethlisberger next Sunday here with the exact same game plan because Ben is a completely different QB then Brady and Manning. The Jets and Mark Sanchez have yet to face a defense as good as the Steelers in the playoffs yet. Playing the Colts and Pats defense will be nothing like playing the Steelers defense for the Jets. Ill say this right now I love the Steelers chances in this game. They match-up very very well with the Jets I feel,and they will not let the Jets run the ball for over 100 yards as a team like they did the last game they won. Mark Sanchez much like Joe Flacco didnot do yesterday will have to play damn near perfect mistake free football for the Jets to win this game and I dont believe he will do it here on the road. Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers defense once again will be the difference in this game and I like the Steelers in this game by 10 24-14...Rex Ryan has the Ravens curse about him against the Steelers going back a few years and it will hold serve next week once again...

Steel Trap86
01-16-2011, 09:01 PM
I am loving the Steelers to win this game and I'll tell you why. The Jets style is pound the football with LT and Shawn Green to set up the pass and take the pressure off of Sanchez, it's no secret. With the Steelers D being 1st in the league at defending the rush, it will not be easy for them to get it going. So then the game will be on Sanchez. This guy is not leaving Pitt with a clean jersey like last time I'll just say that. They have 2 badass receivers though and stopping them is gonna be so ****ing critical if we wanna get to the Superbowl.

Holmes will be looking to make a huge impact on this game since he only had 1 or 2 catches the last game. But as I said after we lost to the Jets last time, it was the perfect loss. It got them back on point without taking away the division or the bye week. The Steelers are not a 13-3 football team, they were due for 1 more loss. The Patriots kicked the Jets *** last time they played 45-3 and that does **** all for them today because they overlooked them and were thinking about the Steelers before taking care of business. Pitt already lost to the Jets so they aren't looking at the Superbowl right now, they are concentrating on the Jets all week and I like their chances on advancing to the Superbowl by playing that solid defense we all know they can play

Troyisabeast_43
01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I am loving the Steelers to win this game and I'll tell you why. The Jets style is pound the football with LT and Shawn Green to set up the pass and take the pressure off of Sanchez, it's no secret. With the Steelers D being 1st in the league at defending the rush, it will not be easy for them to get it going. So then the game will be in on Sanchez. They have 2 badass receivers though and stopping them is gonna be so ****ing critical if we wanna get to the Superbowl.

Holmes will be looking to make a huge impact on this game since he only had 1 or 2 catches the last game. But as I said after we lost to the Jets last time, it was the perfect loss. It got them back on point without taking away the division or the bye week. The Patriots kicked the Jets *** last time they played 45-3 and that does **** all for them today because they overlooked them and were thinking about the Steelers before taking care of business. Pitt already lost to the Jets so they are NOT looking at the Superbowl right now, they are concentrating on the Jets all week and I like their chances on advancing to the Superbowl by playing that solid defense we all know they can play

I think it might have been you that said it or made a thread about it after the loss to the Jets here happened and said the loss to the Jets was a blessing in disguise because it will get the Steelers more focused and get one more loss out of the way before the playoffs start. Ill dig hard and find that thread here soon and pull it back up...

nuclearchihuahuas
01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I think this is going to be a rough game. These two teams match up really well. We have the advantage of the fans in the stands. A few more seconds and Ben would have pulled a victory out of that last game but Rex has had time to review and make adjustments. I see us winning but not by a wide margin.

Steel Trap86
01-16-2011, 09:15 PM
I just remembered Polamolu wasn't even playing in the last game lmao

LatrobePA
01-16-2011, 09:20 PM
I just remembered Polamolu wasn't even playing in the last game lmao

Right, and we gave up a kick off for a TD...No Heath Miller either, remember, Spaeth!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
I have no doubt that Rex Ryan will watch all the game tape of that first meeting between us and try to mix things up. Knowing though how stubborn he is, I wouldn't put it past him to just try to muscle his way through this game and out physical us. That won't happen we all know.

The X factor is Troy again, who wasn't there in that last meeting. Even when he doesn't make all the big plays his presence is enough to give a young QB fits. He wasn't a huge factor with making plays vs the Ravens but he was a difference maker. He took the deep center field away from Flacco, and that was KEY to the win.

scott0326
01-16-2011, 09:28 PM
I think biggest difference is this time we have Miller.. Spaeth dropped quite a few passes and just cant replace Heath Miller, it will be huge having him back this time as it seems like Jets struggle defend TEs.

CoachC
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
I think having Troy and Heath in the game will be paramount! Troy's effect on this defense is a tremendous one. He will bait Sanchez into some decisions, hopefully they turn out on our end.

LatrobePA
01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Let Rex go back and watch tape from our last meeting. This is a diffrent team w/out two of our biggest playmakers!!

Big T
01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
There is a lot goig for the steelers this game as opposed to last:

- Troy P is back
- Heath Miller is back
- Ben is healthy
- no Damien Woody (I look for Woodley to have an impact)

Its gonna be a great game no doubt. It's gonna be close, like a 7-point game, but I see the Steelers taking a trip to Dallas after this one.

We couldn't be set up any better. Gotta love this.

coldrolled
01-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Right, and we gave up a kick off for a TD...No Heath Miller either, remember, Spaeth!!

Miller was a bigger factor than Troy.

The Jets just beat the #27th ranked defense, now they will play number 1.

The Pats lost as they should in the playoffs with 9 rookies on the field and a weak D.

We are not the Pats... All veterans and the #1 D..

This is all up to Ben and Arians to win now.

LatrobePA
01-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Miller was a bigger factor than Troy.

The Jets just beat the #27th ranked defense, now they will play number 1.

The Pats lost as they should in the playoffs with 9 rookies on the field and a weak D.

We are not the Pats... All veterans and the #1 D..

This is all up to Ben and Arians to win now.

Agree, there was an opening for a TE (that could catch) last meeting. Wallace, Hines will be covered, but I can see a rookie or Heath having a huge game or both..

No way in this world does Dirty have a good game against this D...

Goodfrom55
01-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Jets did improve their coverages vs the NE TE's, but overall, they struggle big time to cover a #1 TE. We have the best. Again, they played a perfect game on all three fsacetsof the game last time (offense, defense, specials). In order to beat the steelers with Troy and Heat, they will have to play even better.

LatrobePA
01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
NE will send their TE's out wide. I think the middle will be wide open. This is where I'd like to see some Ben to Mendy throws...

pimplydan
01-17-2011, 09:05 AM
I am confident about this game myself . We have tons of playoff experience , just look at our defense . The same as the superbowl 2008 minus 2 players , Ziggy Hood for Aaron Smith , Lawrence Timmons for Larry Foote , the rest of the defense is the same .
Ziggy is doing a marvelous job and Timmons is a definate upgrade .

We have the experience on offense , just take Ben . He is playing his best football right now . If you look at the game he just played vs the Ravens ,he had Suggs breathing down his back all day . Did he throw just one dangerous ball ? NO !

Look for the steelers to take care of business January 23th(my daughters birthday) ,and yes the 12th man just carry on , they were amazing specially in the 3rd quarter this week .

Special teams is one area we have to watch out for , we did a good job vs Cribbs of the Browns with a squib kick . Look for them to do it again !

LatrobePA
01-17-2011, 09:15 AM
We'll be kicking grounders all day!

JensK
01-17-2011, 10:26 AM
I am having a hard time seeing Jets offense doing anything at all against our defense. Just don't see it happening. Sanchez is playing exactly like what he is: A second year player. He is very inaccurate, takes bad decisions and is overall easy to shake up a little. Sure, their WRs create a missmatch for our secondary, but if Troy is playing just a little better, and the rest of the secondary have the same kind of game as against Ravens, they will be a non-factor.

I really do not like the matchup against their defense though. Our o-line is, at this point, beyond banged up, and their front 7 knows how to bring pressure. Their secondary is obviously amazing as well, so it'll be a long long day for the offense. The key must be to get Mendenhall a lot of carries early to slow down their defense some, and then use those short routes a lot.

People on various Jets forums seems very comfortable that they'll take this one easily, but I just don't see it happening with Sanchez playing at QB. It'll take his best day of his career at least.

LatrobePA
01-17-2011, 10:42 AM
This is another Raven type game coming up, but with a much better secondary.

We cannot be afraid to throw the ball at them though, run Mendy and play D.

LarryNJ
01-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I am having a hard time seeing Jets offense doing anything at all against our defense. Just don't see it happening. Sanchez is playing exactly like what he is: A second year player. He is very inaccurate, takes bad decisions and is overall easy to shake up a little. Sure, their WRs create a missmatch for our secondary, but if Troy is playing just a little better, and the rest of the secondary have the same kind of game as against Ravens, they will be a non-factor.

I really do not like the matchup against their defense though. Our o-line is, at this point, beyond banged up, and their front 7 knows how to bring pressure. Their secondary is obviously amazing as well, so it'll be a long long day for the offense. The key must be to get Mendenhall a lot of carries early to slow down their defense some, and then use those short routes a lot.

:plus1::plus1:

If you listened to the game yesterday he was making many excuses for Sanchez. I saw it the opposite way that he was making bad throws and decisions.

steelersbabex25
01-17-2011, 11:05 AM
The reason that the Jets were able to beat Tom Brady and Peyton Manning is because they're both pocket passers. The Jets have a pretty good front 7, it wasn't too hard to force Brady and Manning out of the pocket, where they both obviously don't thrive. Once they force Ben out of the pocket, it's going to be much different for them. We have fast receivers down there and Revis is still not 100% if I'm not mistaken, especially since we saw him go down shortly yesterday. They've all said it before, as soon as Ben gets out of the pocket, it's open field day for the receivers. All they need to do is run around until they get open, and with those fast receivers running around down there, it'll be tough for the Jets secondary to keep up once Ben is out of the pocket.

Also, maybe BA won't call a delayed handoff when we're backed up in our own endzone this time..

LatrobePA
01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Slide Ben away from pressure, the 3-5 step drops almost killed us Sat.

steelchamp204
01-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Slide Ben away from pressure, the 3-5 step drops almost killed us Sat.

I think we will be ok, If we can handle from the second best front seven in the nfl, we should be ok against the Jets, Id just like to see more slant routes ran and connected on.