PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh's Flagrant First Down Challenge

Speeed
01-16-2011, 03:17 PM
The more I thought it about this, the more it bothered me. I can't remember what quarter it was (I could not watch most of the game) but there was a play where the Steelers were awarded a first down on a very close spot. Ben had rushed his team to the line to get a play off before the Ravens could adjust. Harbaugh, low on timeouts, threw a flag to challenge the call.

I cannot remember the exact rule on challenging a first down spot, but apparently the situation in which he threw a challenge flag was not one of them. As a result, play stopped to address the issue, and his team received their time out.

I am convinced he did that on unscrupulously. I feel that should be penalty. That is the sort of tactic he will resort to for a win. I can just visualize him yelling and screaming at an opposing coach who did the exact same thing. He seems like a huge bigot. Can you imagine Tomlin doing that? I would be embarrassed.

I live in Baltimore, and despite not being a Ravens fan, I keep up with the Ravens. I listen to quite a bit of talk radio during my commute and I hear quite a lot of sports. When Harbaugh was hired, I actually liked him. He was humble, well spoken, and seemed like a good choice. As time went on, he became a total meathead. I cannot stand the guy. He might help old ladies across the street and volunteer at the animal shelter, or whatever, but his football persona is full of spite, disrespect, and arrogance. I say if he is glad his team broke Ben's nose, I am glad we sent his bigoted self packing.

That challenge flag really, really bothers me. That illustrates that being dirty and underhanded doesn't pay. I am surprised more was not made of that event.

Go Steelers!

cmerrifield
01-16-2011, 03:20 PM
It wasnt a first down, it was 4th down so Ben ran them to the line to go for it on 4th down and he threw the flag to put his base D back in since it was 4th and a half yard. He claimed he thought they were awarded a 1st down, but was wrong. I thought the same thing though. What a cheap thing to do. Everyone says that these two teams are carbon copies of each other, but thats just not true. One team is classy and one team is well, not classy

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 03:26 PM
When you throw a challenge flag, it's a challenge. Just because the refs are given the luxery of picking up their flags doesn't mean a head coach should be able to do the same.

Big T
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I called that right when it happened I said, "he did that just to get his personel on the field." two seconds later what do you see? Someone running off the field and fat *** Terrence Cody running on. On one hand it was smart, but it was cheap as hell. No way he thought the steelers were awarded a first. No way...

cmerrifield
01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I loved how we pretended to just try and get them offsides and then went for it anyway. That was a GREAT playcall.

igor0190
01-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Harbaugh knew he couldn't challenge the spot because it wasn't a first down and why the hell would he have wanted to challenge it being fourth down? It was a stalling tactic by Harbaugh obviously.

It was a ploy by him to gain time for his defence. In that situation he SHOULD HAVE been charged with a timeout anyways, or even given an unsportsmanlike penalty. It was clear as day what he was doing. It was actually smart by him, but the league needs to do something about this...

As a coach if you do not understand the rules and throw that flag, the refs should not explain it to you and allow you to pick up your flag with no consequences. The coach should be charged with a timeout. AND FOR GOD SAKES YOU CANNOT ALLOW ANY SUBSTITUTIONS IF YOUR THE REFS.

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I loved how we pretended to just try and get them offsides and then went for it anyway. That was a GREAT playcall.

That was awesome. It only resulted in a fg anyway, but Ben executed that play to absolute perfection.

Speeed
01-16-2011, 04:05 PM
That was awesome. It only resulted in a fg anyway, but Ben executed that play to absolute perfection.

And that is why we continually beat the Ravens. Until they field a quarterback who can orchestrate such a maneuver, we will beat them 99% of the time.

LatrobePA
01-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Was very smart on his part. Was like having 4 time outs..

JensK
01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Clever use of game mechanics :P

xxxsteelernation
01-16-2011, 04:48 PM
he musta got is insperation from this...lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEr6tHeuKnA

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 04:51 PM
It was smart, but classless. I guess Harbaugh will do whatever he can to win a game. And yet, he still lost. How embarassing.

Phenomenal TJ
01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
At the very least you have to give him credit for knowing the rules.

Speeed
01-16-2011, 05:49 PM
That was great. True, but to individuals with those ethics, it does not matter to them. They could care less. And, to make matters worse, that perpetuates this behavior into their players.

I would not put it past Harbaugh to try that.

steeldoc
01-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Meathead....just perfect.

Prosdo
01-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Was very smart on his part. Was like having 4 time outs..

Indeed. Smart on his part, but they should not allow him to pick it up. Make him lose his timeout.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Triplett and his crew stopped more than 1 quick snap attempt by us. Just standing over the ball giving the Ravens all kinds of time to get set. That was total BS. If the ball is set and the defense isn't ready, it's not our fault. Just another reason to hate Triplett and to stick it to Goodell for putting him in this game.

pontiacbubba
01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Okay, I wasn't the only one who thought he did that with the intent of giving his D a "rest" reset.
Ohhhhh NFL what's the fine for that? He is in a position of leadership and his players look up to him?? 500,000???? Naw too small a fine. They need to look at that and do something. Oh thats right, the Ratbirds are the "NFL's" team.

JensK
01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Okay, I wasn't the only one who thought he did that with the intent of giving his D a "rest" reset.
Ohhhhh NFL what's the fine for that? He is in a position of leadership and his players look up to him?? 500,000???? Naw too small a fine. They need to look at that and do something. Oh thats right, the Ratbirds are the "NFL's" team.

Why would they fine him? He did nothing wrong. NFL just can't fine something which they can easily make a rule against.

Speeed
01-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Why would they fine him? He did nothing wrong. NFL just can't fine something which they can easily make a rule against.

My guess is there is not specific rule against that specific infraction, but a rule that is loosely worded to cover that and other similar situations.

I don't think he should be fined, but I think he should have forfeited a time out for throwing the flag.

Blazedby92
01-17-2011, 12:06 AM
I am convinced he did that on unscrupulously. I feel that should be penalty. That is the sort of tactic he will resort to for a win. I can just visualize him yelling and screaming at an opposing coach who did the exact same thing. He seems like a huge bigot. Can you imagine Tomlin doing that? I would be embarrassed.

Yeah there is no way Tomlin would of done that because he is to busy looking like a deer caught in headlight when his team is starting to fall apart.

igor0190
01-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Harbaugh is not the first to throw the challenge flag in attenpt to stall and say "duh, i didn't know I couldn't challenge that". It's just a flaw in the NFL challenge rules that needs to be looked at.

steelersbabex25
01-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah there is no way Tomlin would of done that because he is to busy looking like a deer caught in headlight when his team is starting to fall apart.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/931/roethlisbergerbatchnflmi.jpg (http://img9.imageshack.us/i/roethlisbergerbatchnflmi.jpg/)

=

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9663/imagescapui9gq.jpg (http://img560.imageshack.us/i/imagescapui9gq.jpg/)

:dunno:

LarryNJ
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I don't give a **** what MT's eyes looks like, just win 2 more games! :)

WindyCityShaker
01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
When it happened I immediately knew what he was doing; classless, unethical? Maybe. Regarless of whether it's right or wrong, there's nothing in the rules to prohibit it and as much as it pains me to say it was a smart move.

Just like they had to make rules for situations like offensive players "getting hurt" in the last minute of a game, the NFL will have to cover this situation.

Dude was pulling out all stops while trying to win a game (what he's hired and paid to do). Would we all feel the same if the tables were turned?

steelersbabex25
01-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Dude was pulling out all stops while trying to win a game (what he's hired and paid to do). Would we all feel the same if the tables were turned?

That question isn't necessary. The Steelers are as classy of an organization as it gets. I don't think Tomlin would ever pull that ****.

WindyCityShaker
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
That question isn't necessary. The Steelers are as classy of an organization as it gets. I don't think Tomlin would ever pull that ****.

When desperation sets in ANY man is capable of doing things they wouldn't normally consider, and yes that includes Tomlin.

It happens in baseball all the time when managers walk extra slowly out to the mound, or take a lot of time talking, thus the umpire goes out and gets them to break it up otherwise they'd be out there all day.

Basketball coaches find ways all the time to have impromptu "timeouts" while subbing players etc.

Ever see a hockey goalie or defenseman "unintentionally" knock a net off it's moorings when under intense pressure?

Rules are rules, and if something is within the scope of the rules then so be it, I still believe the NFL should address it as I don't believe it should be allowed, but he did nothing "wrong" technically.

Of course there are unwritten rules and the enforment of those are always handled on the field. :greengrin:

K Train
01-17-2011, 05:12 PM
i woulda done the same thing

TEEMONT
01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
i woulda done the same thing

thats b/c ur an ******* who wants to win at all costs...lol

if tomlin did it, they'd be like..."OMG TOMLIN IS COACH OF THE YEAR NO DOUBT!!!!"