PDA

View Full Version : Can we officially stop trying the reverse?

Farrior Fan
01-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Just watching the glorious game from yesterday again. In the 3rd qtr we were down 21-14 but clearly had the momentum when the Steelers greatest arch enemy reared his ugly head again. Yup BA called for a damn reverse. Now hopefully whoever is OC next year will actually have an ounce of common sense AND actually watch game tape. They will quickly conclude that the reverse to Wallace is the worst play we can call, especially with our battered O line. Just off the top of my head we ran this play around 7 times this year. One time we got around 15 yards, THE REST of the time the play has gone for a loss. Time to jettison this play, this OC, and any hope that this play is ever run again.

Real Deal Steel
01-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Also, can we add more Heath Miller and less holding onto the ball Ben? Take the six yards that Miller gets.

Miller was wide open on the Suggs sack/fumble but Ben just wanted to go deep all the time.

Clevelandsux
01-16-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree. Arians still tries to run these reverses. They fool nobody, including those of us watching on tv.

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Better question, can we officially all kill Bruce Arians. We can execute him for the same reasons that Charles I was executed in England: for being a tyrant, traitor, murderer, and a public enemy.

He's a tyrant because he won't let Ben call the plays. He's a traitor because he has time and time again been seemingly allowing the opponents to win the game. He's a murderer because he always kills whatever momentum we have going on offense, and he's a public enemy because we all hate him.

roosterray
01-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't mind the formation or the play, but the instincts of when to run are wrong everytime BA calls it. Someone on the left side misses their assignment every time as a LB comes free on it too much.

Troyisabeast_43
01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
They called it the one play yesterday on 2nd down before they kicked the FG to go up 24-21 and Wallace executed it perfectly and all he needed to do was be a little more patient and wait for Heath Miller to throw a block on the one Ravens defender and he would have been able to walk in for a TD...

LatrobePA
01-16-2011, 04:29 PM
It was a very bad call....

jcloss23
01-16-2011, 04:34 PM
it has gotta happen once in a while. it keeps the ends from coming down the line and making a play.

Phenomenal TJ
01-16-2011, 05:13 PM
It would work in some instances though. Only reason it wasn't a huge gain was because Miller got a crap block and Wallace wasn't waiting for it to develop.

steelersbabex25
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
The reverse is like the bubble screen. Occasionally it'll get you 7 or 8 yards, but the majority of the time it's ****.

Farrior Fan
01-16-2011, 05:21 PM
The reverse I was referring to originally was not the one where Miller was out blocking. The earlier one lost over 5 yards and as soon as I saw it I started cussing because I knew it was going to suck.

I still contend that while Wallace is an excellent receiver he sucks as a RB in the backfield. He is easily knocked off balance and unless he is untouched that play will never be the game breaker that BA is dreaming of.

For the record I have zero problem allowing ARE to run the same play and giving him the option to throw. That play opens up sooooo many possibilities and the D just cannot cover all of them. And IT HAS PROVEN TO WORK IN THE PAST.