PDA

View Full Version : The official "Is Bill Cowher retiring thread"

PITT23
12-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Cowher said he'll likely make his choice about whether he'll return or not a few days after the game on Sunday. Should be interesting...

rainman
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
It seems like we'll be looking for a new coach, I thought Bill would've been here as long as Chuck was but I guess I'm wrong as usual - lol

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2006, 07:28 PM
He's already made up his mind, I'd bet money on it after hearing the local media and fans talk on sunday. Now what that is, is anybody's guess still. Cowher does his own thing no matter what anybody else thinks; he always has.

Captcoolhand
12-26-2006, 11:09 PM
But just heared from Cleveland news that BC was offered 7.8 Mil. a year to stay with the Steelers! any one else here this????

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I haven't heard anything yet. I was listening to Mort on espnradio about 30 minutes and he didn't mention anything about this.Plus the Rooney's don't normally do anything with contracts during the season. He said that at this point BC is probably leaning towards taking a year off but still doesn't know for sure yet.

I think he's probably made up his mind for the most part based on what Ive heard and read.

Captcoolhand
12-26-2006, 11:19 PM
They added that to it,1 or 2 years off but said that Rooneys made an offer and left it up to BC to make a choice.bad spelling

BlacknGold Bleeder
12-26-2006, 11:20 PM
This story makes it clear as mud...:lol:

PITTSBURGH - Bill Cowher apparently won't make anyone wait to learn if he will return as the Pittsburgh Steelers' coach next season.

Cowher is expected to announce his future plans within a few days of Sunday's season-ending game at Cincinnati, one that is without playoff implications for the no-longer-defending Super Bowl champion Steelers (7-8).

"That's for next week," Cowher said Tuesday when asked if he would return next season. "We'll talk about that next week. It won't go long. I'm not sure what the time frame is. But I think the most important thing is to be focused on this game."

That he appears ready to announce his decision quickly could be a sign the Steelers may soon be looking for a new coach for only the second time since 1969. Chuck Noll (1969-91) and Cowher (1992-present) have been their only coaches since then.

If Cowher decides to retire _ if only briefly _ and not finish out a contract that expires after the 2007 season, the Steelers want to begin searching for a new coach as soon as possible since three or four other NFL teams also could be in the market for a coach.

Two Steelers assistants, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, are seen as viable candidates _ even though the Steelers haven't promoted a coach from within since Mike Nixon in 1965. And he lasted only one season.

Several players, including Joey Porter, said recently they expect Cowher to return for a 16th season. Only last week, Cowher laughed at suggestions that he is tired of coaching at age 49, saying, "Do I look burned out?"

Cowher's tenure is the longest with his current team of any NFL coach, and a season or two away from the game watching his three daughters play basketball might increase Cowher's already-high market value.

Cowher is making $4 million-plus under his current contract, which he signed in 2004. If he were to sign a new deal with the Steelers, he likely would make in the $5.5 million-$6 million range.

But Cowher _ who would be a highly attractive candidate for any NFL owner desperate to win quickly _ conceivably could make more on the open market, perhaps even more than Mike Holmgren's estimated $8 million with Seattle.

When Cowher signed his latest Steelers extension in 2004, he emphasized money wasn't a motivating factor.

"You couldn't have a better job," he said. "It's not about the market or the money, it's about the winning."

Right now, it appears the market has become an issue.

Cowher's wife and youngest daughter moved to the family's new home in Raleigh, N.C., earlier this year, and Cowher made several trips there during the season. Being an absentee father no doubt doesn't appeal to Cowher, but an NFL coach's job has become all encompassing with offseason workouts, minicamps, coaching sessions and the draft.

The Steelers aren't interested in a part-time head coach, even one who has been as successful as Cowher.

Cowher declined Tuesday to discuss his situation in detail, saying the Steelers need to concentrate on beating the Bengals (8-7) and finishing at .500, even though a 31-7 loss to Baltimore on Sunday ended their playoff chances.

"Our goal is to go down there and get this taste out of our mouth and, more importantly, finish the season at 8-8," Cowher said. "We'll do that. Playing Cincinnati with a game like that, there's a lot at stake, just pride-wise. It's always been like that."

With the playoffs no longer a possibility, does it really make that much difference if the Steelers wind up 8-8 rather than 7-9?

"Finishing strong is very important because that's what you take into next year," Cowher said.

The Steelers also wouldn't mind ending Cincinnati's season, just as they did in the playoffs last January. The Bengals, who won in Pittsburgh 28-20 on Sept. 24, must win to retain any playoff hopes, though the Jets and Broncos can secure the two AFC wild-card spots by winning Sunday.

"Misery loves company," Cowher said. "And we're looking for company."

Captcoolhand
12-26-2006, 11:30 PM
If what I just heard is correct, 7.8 mil a year was the offer:dunno:

Steelersfan
12-26-2006, 11:55 PM
If what I just heard is correct, 7.8 mil a year was the offer:dunno:

Where did you hear that????

Captcoolhand
12-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Where did you hear that????
when they was doing the sport on the the news here in Cleveland! They was joking to eachother that how can't you come back and Coach for 7.8 Million a year, But you now how the Media is:scratch:

Steelersfan
12-27-2006, 12:06 AM
I saw your other post right after I posted that....lol

So nothing concrete yet then.

Captcoolhand
12-27-2006, 12:11 AM
But if, you know what, if there's is any truth to that, how don't you come back? 7,8 mil a yr, for like 3-4 years :dunno:,worth it to you. Youngest girl not out of School:dunno: It may be worth a thought:2cents:

Steelerlyn
12-27-2006, 05:25 AM
:nono: I can not see him leaving with a 8-8 record (or whatever it was):scratch:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2006, 06:13 AM
:nono: I can not see him leaving with a 8-8 record (or whatever it was):scratch:

At this point maybe 8-8 is enough of a moral victory after this debacle of a season. :nonod:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2006, 06:25 AM
I merged all the threads started about whether or not BC will retire, and all the rumors, into 1 main thread so we can keep it all straight :redcool:

PITT23
12-27-2006, 10:22 AM
I merged all the threads started about whether or not BC will retire, and all the rumors, into 1 main thread so we can keep it all straight :redcool:

Sounds like a good plan :bigthumb:

LatrobePA
12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
The only thing I will say about this is: Bill has done great things for this org. now it's time to sh!t or get off the pot! This team needs a freakin coach!!

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Bil is gone I bet.

AZ_Steeler
12-27-2006, 08:32 PM
No - Bill will not be retiring! If he does retire it will be for a year and the Whiz will fill in for him while he's gone! :dunno:

House of Steel
12-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Capt. I want to know exactly what station or media outlet this stupid so called story came from. I am going to get to the bottom of this of this mystery. To me, somebody lying and I want to get them caught for it. It could be FOX 8 for sure, maybe Channel 3 News. Jim Donovan, I wouldn't think would do such a thing as well as Tony Rizzo or John Telich on Fox 8. NewsChannel 5 wouldn't do this either. If its Chuck Galeti that ****ing no good drunk of an *** on News 19, FORGET IT!!! I don't trust that fool even on a penny.

House of Steel
12-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Capt., I've looked up every stinking Cleveland Media Outlet on the internet and noone has this rumor filed up on their site. I even had the nerves to e mail the Post-Gazette to confirmed this with Mr. Gerry Dulac, whom I trust all the way with the Steelers News. I told him, this has got to be a crazy rumor out of the way for anyone in the Cleveland Media Market to even suggest this without prove of a confirmation source to back it up. It is insane to suggest even putting a rumor up without a backup source. PLEASE GIVE ME THE SOURCE TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIM OF HEARING THAT GARBAGE!!!

DIESELMAN
12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Whos to say that the Rooneys didn't make him an offer before the season started....cold hard cash. The Rooneys aren't stupid and they know what they have with Bill in the drivers seat. They also know what it takes to win in the NFL another reason there have been only 2 HC's since 1969 at Pittsburgh. IMHO if the Steelers season had been 12-4 and another SB win then I think he would step down. But with the unknowns of the way this season went...Big Ben's crash, his appendectomy, injuries and so forth with the talent on this team hes got a big question floating around in his head....WHAT IF??? We went on a win streak that fell short of making it to the playoffs but it also showed this team has a lot of heart, guts and character. So I'm thinking Bill will be back to get that WHAT IF??? answered. Who knows...we shall see in a few days...any way it goes hes brought a lot to the Steelers and to Pittsburgh and I'll say Good Luck and Thank you.....

House of Steel
12-28-2006, 09:52 AM
I am not accusing the Rooneys of anything. I would absolutely be thrilled to hear if that rumor is true. Who wouldn't take a deal like that? I am trying to confirm the source of that rumor.

PITT23
12-29-2006, 11:48 PM
I read somewhere that Cowher is actually going to wait a full week or more after the Sunday game to announce his plans. This could be a rumor but it could also be true. Hopefully he's quick with his decision.

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-30-2006, 03:20 AM
Cowher will make a quick decision. Do you really think the Rooneys want to make this into a media circus for the offseason?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Whos to say that the Rooneys didn't make him an offer before the season started....cold hard cash. The Rooneys aren't stupid and they know what they have with Bill in the drivers seat. They also know what it takes to win in the NFL another reason there have been only 2 HC's since 1969 at Pittsburgh

:iagree:

Very true, we'll never know how much money they offered him to stay, or if he just said "hey Im not sure I want to come back next year, I may need a break" etc. The thing that I keep thinking about is that Bill has the ultimate job here in Pittsburgh; job security, great owners, great fans, alot of success, dedicated players, I mean if you're going to coach why would you want to do it anywhere else, so that tells me he just wants a break to relax and spend time with Kay and see his daughters play in college, etc.