PDA

View Full Version : Seattle is Still Bitter - kid sent home wearing a steeler Jersey

roosterray
01-14-2011, 06:31 PM
This kid Rocks.

http://www.katu.com/sports/professional/113614384.html
:cope::helmet:

--- Added 1/14/2011 at 05:31 PM ---

TACOMA, Wash. - A 13-year-old student at Tacoma's Truman Middle School just wanted to show his team spirit when he wore a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey to his school's Seahawks appreciation day on Friday.

But school administrators sent Grendon Bailie home, saying his choice of clothing was inappropriate - and that Seahawks shirts or colors were the only exception allowed outside the uniform school's normal strict dress code.

Now the seventh-grader says he feels it was unfair for the school to single him out for punishment, simply because he and his family are Steelers fans and not Seahawks fans.

"Not everyone is a Seahawks fan - and if they got to wear their team stuff then I should, too," Grendon said.

But the school district says Grendon and all other students were warned on Thursday that anyone who didn't want to wear Seahawks colors should wear their normal school uniform, which is limited to certain styles and colors of clothing.

In fact, Grendon admits that he specifically asked the school's vice principal the day before if he could wear his Steelers jersey, and was told he could not because it was Seahawks spirit day.

"This boy came in a different color, a different team, and he was asked, if he didn't want to participate in the Seahawks colors day, then he could wear his uniform," said Tacoma School District spokeswoman Stacy Flores.

Grendon's dad, Stoughton B. Bailie Sr., says his son and the whole family are die-hard Pittsburgh Steelers fans, and his son felt he should be able to show his team spirit like the other students at his school.

"I didn't force him to do it. I said I'd stand behind him if he wanted to do it, and this morning I gave him the choice," Stoughton says. "I said, 'What do you want to wear?' and he said, 'I'm wearing my Steelers stuff."

Grendon's dad also says he sent his son to school with a note explaining the boy's decision so he wouldn't get in trouble, but school officials refused to even read it.

"He was immediately told that he had to leave and change his clothes or face an in school suspension for the day," Stoughton said.

Grendon's dad picked him at the school after officials refused to let him attend classes in his Steelers regalia.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are facing the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC playoffs this weekend, and Grendon says he has no plans to watch the Seahawks-Bears game.

MattyVfromCT
01-14-2011, 06:39 PM
one word to describe these idiot teachers and faculty: PATHETIC!

roosterray
01-14-2011, 06:42 PM

:yellowthumb::yellowthumb::yellowthumb::bunny:

MDSteel15
01-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I smell a lawsuit... :stirpot:

lloydfan4life
01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
:wtf: :evilshake:

Goodfrom55
01-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Not like he wore Gang related colors - think outside the box. Idiots!

steelchamp204
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
wow, what a pathetic *** school system all across america we are coming to. Its not like the kid wore a kkk hat to mlk day or something, holy ****.

MDSteel15
01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Not like he wore Gang related colors - think outside the box. Idiots!

Actually, if he were Hispanic they would say he was wearing LATIN KINGS colors...

--- Added 1/14/2011 at 06:08 PM ---

Actually, if he were Hispanic they would say he was wearing LATIN KINGS colors...

Just saying, because I know some morons that got into that crap...

Dean Denton
01-14-2011, 07:28 PM
I had a job where they tried that on me and I laughed at them. Then my boss said, "well, since you wear those coats everyday we cant really say anything, and you can wear your Steeler stuff."

SteelDad
01-14-2011, 09:02 PM
As a teacher in high school, this really pisses me off. I wore my Steelers gear today and my students would have been upset had I NOT worn it. They know my passion and I encourage the kids to wear their team gear regardless of who they root for. If I'm that kid's parents I'd have been in the office in about 2 seconds chewing some ***!

Speeed
01-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Don't blame the teachers and faculty, that was an administrative decision. I don't want to argue the merits of free speech, so, let me say this:

I am a teacher in a public school in an upper middle class district in Maryland. We are free to wear any manner of jersey and liveries we wish. The banter with the kids is fun, most are Ravens fans, some are Redskins fans, and a few other teams thrown in. In fact, I wore my throwback Ward jersey today, and other staff donned the purple and black.

As for the article, I like how so often an assistant principal is referred to as "vice principal." l have heard that on CNN and read it reputable news sources. It never ceases to amaze me.

My opinion, not that it matters, is that the kid should have just kept a low profile and let the Seahawks fans have their day. The parents placed that poor kid right in the middle of controversy. As for the Seahawks, I would love to see a Steelers - Seahawks match up, then that kid could wear surely wear his jersey!

steelchamp204
01-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Don't blame the teachers and faculty, that was an administrative decision. I don't want to argue the merits of free speech, so, let me say this:

I am a teacher in a public school in an upper middle class district in Maryland. We are free to wear any manner of jersey and liveries we wish. The banter with the kids is fun, most are Ravens fans, some are Redskins fans, and a few other teams thrown in. In fact, I wore my throwback Ward jersey today, and other staff donned the purple and black.

As for the article, I like how so often an assistant principal is referred to as "vice principal." l have heard that on CNN and read it reputable news sources. It never ceases to amaze me.

My opinion, not that it matters, is that the kid should have just kept a low profile and let the Seahawks fans have their day. The parents placed that poor kid right in the middle of controversy. As for the Seahawks, I would love to see a Steelers - Seahawks match up, then that kid could wear surely wear his jersey!

So when could the kid ever show off his steelers jersey? He went to a school where it seems they wore uniforms. I dont see a problem with it at all, I think the whole ordeal is blown way out of proportion.

steelersbabex25
01-14-2011, 11:45 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...wait, is this serious? Talk about holding a grudge..

nuclearchihuahuas
01-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Frankly, the school should never have had a Seahawks day. I thought public schools in America were all about equality and not offending any one group of people. Therefore, no one prays instead of letting those that choose to do so pray and those that are against it do not participate (for example). Yes, this young man had the possibility of not participating and simply wearing his normal uniform. But, he was offended (quite possibly on a religious like level) that his school was forcing cruel and unusual punishment upon him by being immersed in a day of Seahawk colors. I say GOOD FOR YOU young man, and good for your Dad for standing up for you. Clearly this school has no idea about what it means to be a true fan. Any true fan in a similar situation would have done the same thing. If I were that kid's parent, I would have sent a letter to school, stating how disgusted I was with them and their offensive choice against our family's faith and traditions and would have kept him home that day and not allowed him to be subjected to that sort of state sanctioned prejudice. :stirpot:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2011, 09:26 AM
I smell a lawsuit... :stirpot:

Oh you know it, if I was those parents it would have my lawyer already contacted and a letter drawn up stating my intentions. There's no excuse for a school to pull a stunt like that, regardless of a kids favorite team.

Speeed
01-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Common' people. All of this talk of lawsuits, this, that, whatever. The administration may or may not have had the right to do what they did. The fact is the family and the kid knew exactly what was going to potentially happen. And as I said in my previous reply, the family is putting a kid right in the middle of a useless, pointless, media story. It is amazing what football does to people. This is just as much a story of individual rights as it is poor parenting.

bensshoes
01-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Common' people. All of this talk of lawsuits, this, that, whatever. The administration may or may not have had the right to do what they did. The fact is the family and the kid knew exactly what was going to potentially happen. And as I said in my previous reply, the family is putting a kid right in the middle of a useless, pointless, media story. It is amazing what football does to people. This is just as much a story of individual rights as it is poor parenting.

I tend to disagree if the school wanted to make an exception then there can be no restrictions, its not like the kid showed up to the pep rally in the opposing high schools colors the education of our children has no affiliaciation wilt any Nfl, MLB, NBA or anyother profiscinial sporting orginization, the school had no right to make special stipulations as a parent I'd be questioning where politics became involved in my childs education and yes the law may have to become involved!:cope:

by the way we may be plain people were not common people. we all live under the banner of Steeler Nation!

MattyVfromCT
01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
As a teacher in high school, this really pisses me off. I wore my Steelers gear today and my students would have been upset had I NOT worn it. They know my passion and I encourage the kids to wear their team gear regardless of who they root for. If I'm that kid's parents I'd have been in the office in about 2 seconds chewing some ***!

same here last time i checked this is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! apparently seattle thinks this is nazi germany............

Real Deal Steel
01-15-2011, 02:31 PM
This goes to show you how these inbread idiots really are. Losers. They need to embrace their loserism or not be a fan of the Seahawks.

nuclearchihuahuas
01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I tend to disagree if the school wanted to make an exception then there can be no restrictions, its not like the kid showed up to the pep rally in the opposing high schools colors the education of our children has no affiliaciation wilt any Nfl, MLB, NBA or anyother profiscinial sporting orginization, the school had no right to make special stipulations as a parent I'd be questioning where politics became involved in my childs education and yes the law may have to become involved!:cope:

by the way we may be plain people were not common people. we all live under the banner of Steeler Nation!

I say we call out the Steeler Nation living in Seattle and ask them to create a flash mob at this school in full Steeler's apparrel in protest of this schools prejudice and in support of our young nation member. After all..."I believe the children are our future" and we need to treat them right...C'mon Seattle Steeler Nation...show this young man and his misguided school what we are all about! :tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02: