PDA

View Full Version : The Steeler Nation Turning On Big Ben?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2006, 12:25 PM
I was at the game Sunday vs the Ravens and I heard some very nasty comments from some Steelers fans about Ben. I even heard one fan say "Ben I hope you get into another accident". I was wondering if TopGun and the others from SA that went to the game Sunday heard any Ben bashing. I have been fustrated at times with Ben and the Steelers this year. But I'm still a fan of Ben's and I hope he rebounds and sticks it to the Steelers fans that doubt him now.

I have been reading some articles from Ron Cook and others in the Pitt media bashing Ben. I really think its lame to knock Ben since he has brought the city,team and fans more good times then bad.

I know Ben will rebound next year and I'm already looking forward to next year.:tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I wouldnt worry about it dude, it happens all the time at games. When a team struggles or even when they don't, fans turn on players quicker than a $5 hooker makes appointments on a saturday night. The city and fans overall love Ben and wouldn't trade him for the whole world but the way this season has gone it gives people all the more reason to bitch about everything. When you go to a game, especially when so much is on the line, and the team or a player struggles the fans are quick to judge and fly off the handle, especially when they're drunk.

I heard way more comments downing the ratbirds and their fans then towards Ben. All the talk shows, the TV shows, newspapers know that Ben struggles but they also know that Ben is a good QB and he's our guy. He has struggled this year, so has the whole team, but with all that's happened to him and how the team has underachieved as a whole this year the fans are just tired of losing because we're so accustomed to winning.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I just found it disturbing that some fans were wishing harm on Ben. Plus Ron Cook can take his latest articles and stick'em up his ***. I know most Steelers fans are still behind Big Ben. But its going to be very interesting if the Steelers struggle in the first couple games next year and how the Steelers fans in general act toward Ben.

Even Terry Bradshaw was booed and he won four Super Bowls.

BengalBrian
12-26-2006, 02:15 PM
I actually ran into a restaurant during the game to pick up a gift certificate.. It was a sports bar, and when I was in there, all I know is there was a group of steeler fans cursing ben out at the TV.. Throw the ball you idiot.. You suck Ben.. He was getting sacked :shrug:

I was more irritated that I was in a bar in cincinnati and they were rooting for the steelers.. lol

But then again, noone cares for the Ratbirds around here and there are plenty of Steeler fans

SteelerDan43
12-26-2006, 02:28 PM
It was the first time Ive straight up doubted Ben's ability to get it done. I think putting his face through a windshield then getting another concussion has scrambled his eggs if you get my drift. His field vision and quick decision making abilities are just poor this season, He will get the next two seasons to get it straightened out but if he doesnt they may just let his contract expire. He just hasnt been able to hit the open guy even when he has time, then with protection issues and head issues it obviously made gun shy and has given him a case of the happy feet. We'll see how he does next year but my confidence in him is wavering

AZ_Steeler
12-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Those are usually the fans that jumped on the band wagon at the start of the season because the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Ben is the future of this franchise and considering he didn't have his sophomore slump last year we knew he was bound to have it at some point. Ben will be back next year and probably have his best season ever. It was just a bad year all around for the Steelers and you can't really place the balme on any one player!

BengalBrian
12-26-2006, 03:12 PM
Those are usually the fans that jumped on the band wagon at the start of the season because the Steelers won the Super Bowl. Ben is the future of this franchise and considering he didn't have his sophomore slump last year we knew he was bound to have it at some point. Ben will be back next year and probably have his best season ever. It was just a bad year all around for the Steelers and you can't really place the balme on any one player!

Not trying to start anything seriously.. But Ben was a HUGE part of the bad season... He had some phenomenal breakout games as well, which is good for his progression. He also gained a lot of needed experience that he lacked in his first two seasons. He is transitioning from a game manager to a play maker. He has shown good and bad signs.. Only time will tell.

TampaSteelGirl
12-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Not trying to start anything seriously.. But Ben was a HUGE part of the bad season... He had some phenomenal breakout games as well, which is good for his progression. He also gained a lot of needed experience that he lacked in his first two seasons. He is transitioning from a game manager to a play maker. He has shown good and bad signs.. Only time will tell.

Well I like this post even though you're a Bengal fan!! hehehe! But you are correct in his accident was a HUGE part of this bad season and it showed in every way..He seemed like his eggs were scrambled most of the season until the last 3 games..He just wasn't right..you could really tell..The smart thing for his health..was to let Charlie play until he was 100% and I'm not saying that out of my selfishness of wanting to win all the time but lets face it, would we let our kids do this after a life altering accident such as Ben's?? He has his entire career ahead of him..why would they be in such a hurry to get him out there to play when we have the luxury to have a fabulous back up like Charlie...It's nothing bad for Ben if Charlie would have started, but he seriously needed to take it easy..one bad hit and his career and possibly his life could have ended this season....I truly love Ben and he's wonderful but his health should have come before this football team..at least that's how I feel..Thank you for the post..it's nice to see something positive come from a fan of another team, that's classy...:greengrin:

AZ_Steeler
12-26-2006, 03:20 PM

I know you are not trying to start anything. Ben did have an awful year and the Oakland game could be mainly his fault, but I'm not going to blame him for everything. I think the blame falls on everyone on both sides of the ball.

It was definetly a learning experience for him though!

BengalBrian
12-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Is Ben playing this week btw? I heard he got hurt but have not really read anything

And I agree with the thought that he was rushed in too early this year.. 1-0 and Batch should have just bought time for Ben to get healthy.

TampaSteelGirl
12-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I haven't heard anything..yet..anyone else?

AZ_Steeler
12-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Is Ben playing this week btw? I heard he got hurt but have not really read anything

And I agree with the thought that he was rushed in too early this year.. 1-0 and Batch should have just bought time for Ben to get healthy.

Haven't heard anything :dunno:

BengalBrian
12-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Haven't heard anything :dunno:

Probably nothing serious then..

BBG7
12-26-2006, 05:06 PM
The Ben bashing has got to stop. He has bad games just like everyone else (Palmer, Manning, etc) To doubt him and bash him is rediculous. We had a bad year, actually a horrible one, but it is not only his fault...everyone seemed to let us down at some point in the season. We have to rally together, keep Cincy out of the playoffs (sorry Brian...you know I luv ya!!), and come back strong next year!!!

BengalBrian
12-26-2006, 05:39 PM
The Ben bashing has got to stop. He has bad games just like everyone else (Palmer, Manning, etc) To doubt him and bash him is rediculous. We had a bad year, actually a horrible one, but it is not only his fault...everyone seemed to let us down at some point in the season. We have to rally together, keep Cincy out of the playoffs (sorry Brian...you know I luv ya!!), and come back strong next year!!!

Its all good.. You wouldnt be a good fan if you didnt root against us :)

Are we still meeting at the game so you can buy me dinner after we win? ;)

Troyisabeast_43
12-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Every quarterback or player goes through some tough times and points in there career and it just so happened that this was that year for it to happen finally to Big Ben. Lets face it the guy is still way ahead of the learning curve. He has taken this team to 2 AFC Championship games in his first 2 years and won a Super Bowl of course as well. How many 2nd or 3rd year QB's can come into the league right away and do that?? Not too many. Did Ben not have a good year?? Absolutely he didnt. He was down right awful at times. Now whether it was because of the accident or his health, or other teams catching on to him a bit I dont know. But the bottom line is Ben just didnot play at a level this Steelers team as a whole needs him to play at if there ever gonna get back to where we want it to go. Cowher can share blame in this season just as much as Ben can. He set the tone this year in camp letting guys off the hook and not being as hard as them as he was in the past. And of course his bonehead coaching decisions to leave Colclough in there in the Cincy game when he knew he was dropping punts in camp everyday and was not reliable, and starting Ben in the Oakland game when he had a concussion the previous week and not pulling him during the game for Batch when Ben clearly was showing signs that he was not ready to play that game.

The bottom line is for the Steelers they just didnot get it done this year. They turned the ball over way too much, they had too much inconsistent play all the way across the board. This team for whatever reason was just not good enough this year to get it done. I do feel Ben will bounce back and play better next year much like the entire team will. This team does have a lot of areas to address and hopefully they can do that. Good news about next year is our schedule wont be as tough, we will be kind of under the radar and not expected to do as good as this year, and teams wont take us as seriously as this year.

This Steelers team still has enough good core players and young guys around I think with Ben as the QB to get back to the playoffs I think as soon as next year. The mentality in camp has got to be different then it was this year coming in come next July. This team cannot just think afford and think it has to show up again much like it did this year and expect to win. Whether Cowher is here or not next year a lot of things from an attitude leadership standpoint need to change on this team come next season and it needs to happen right away before things get out of control early on like they did this year. Fans gave Ben and this Steelers team a free pass pretty much this year for the Super Bowl win last season. Next year dont look for that to happen at all. If this team struggles especially early on in the year its going to get really ugly around here in a hurry.

SteelersWoman
12-26-2006, 07:31 PM
One reason we can be sure that Big Ben wasn't the only reason for our losses is the fact that his lowest QB rating for the year was one game of like 34. something. All the rest of his games have been higher than that. Rex Grossman has had at LEAST 2-3 games of less than a 12 rating (that's TWELVE--one game was 1.3...) Even the mighty Phillip Rivers of Pro Bowl worthiness has a rating of 12 or less perhaps a couple of times. BOTH those QB's teams won those games that they played so poorly in.

What I'm saying is--if 2 other teams could pull off wins while their QB had rating that made Big Ben's lowest rating look like a seasoned vet, shouldn't OUR team still have won??

That is the reason I hesitate to really lay much of the blame at Big Ben's feet. Had the whole team stepped up like River's and Grossman's team did to bail THEM out of some really HORRIBLY played games, then we should've easily won those games we lost where Big Ben had QB ratings of 35 and higher.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Nobody should doubt Ben's ability to be a good QB in this league. After what he's accomplished so quickly it was inevitable that he'd struggle some but with everything that happened it just made it worse. Ben hasn't been comfortable all year long so some time away from football and all the stress of the injuries will do him good.

Black@Gold Forever32
12-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Nobody should doubt Ben's ability to be a good QB in this league. After what he's accomplished so quickly it was inevitable that he'd struggle some but with everything that happened it just made it worse. Ben hasn't been comfortable all year long so some time away from football and all the stress of the injuries will do him good.
:iagree:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2006, 08:42 PM
The whole damn team needs a break. I don't care what anybody says, with all the turmoil and questions surrounding BC's future and a super bowl hangover they just flat out stunk up the joint for nearly 3/4 of the season so they all need a break. I fully expect Ben to come back next year with renewed fire and confidence.

SteelerDan43
12-26-2006, 10:23 PM
He obviously isnt 100% right in the head yet or physically. Hopefully he can get healthy and revert to pre-accident form, but I dont think its a given that he will. A serious life threating blut force tramua to the head with another light concussion is some serious stuff, we will have to wait untill next year to find out. But there is always that chance that his eggs are permanently scrambled

K Train
12-26-2006, 10:39 PM
I think that bean will be fine, he has had a rough year but he is a hard working and confident guy, he has played great this year, except for the times right after he was hurt....mabey the ravens just had our number this year because he has had nearly flawless games, but we all know he cant play after he gets hurt, last year, this year or any year...we are still a good team and will bounce back strong next year as long as ben stays away from sharp/moving/poisonous and any other harmful things. I do think that he and cowher cost us the playoffs with his stubborness and cowhers babying him. If he would have sat out jacksonville i think our whole season wouldve been different, we would have played better against SD and Cincy. Even if he sat out Oakland....that was the killer game, batch couldve beaten oakland with ease....ben is the man and im so happy hes our QB....but he is a stubborn person and the team felt the effects of it this year.....next year will be different :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
12-26-2006, 11:00 PM
Every player in the league who's any player, wants to play in pain and doesnt want to come out, ever. If they could out there with a broken leg they'd do it. It's part stubborness, part pride, part dedication to your 'mates, and just generally not wanting to not be on the field. BC most definately should have put his foot down and Ben and sat him knowing that something just wasn't right.

That's where a coach has to be the man and make the decision for what's best for the team, and with Ben clearly not on his game, Batch could have come in and done his job as the backup.

Friday133
12-27-2006, 09:06 AM
I was at the game Sunday vs the Ravens and I heard some very nasty comments from some Steelers fans about Ben. I even heard one fan say "Ben I hope you get into another accident". I was wondering if TopGun and the others from SA that went to the game Sunday heard any Ben bashing. I have been fustrated at times with Ben and the Steelers this year. But I'm still a fan of Ben's and I hope he rebounds and sticks it to the Steelers fans that doubt him now.

I have been reading some articles from Ron Cook and others in the Pitt media bashing Ben. I really think its lame to knock Ben since he has brought the city,team and fans more good times then bad.

I know Ben will rebound next year and I'm already looking forward to next year.:tt02:

whoever said he hoped ben gets in another accident is a typical yinzer *******.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2006, 09:32 AM
We've all been so spoiled by Ben's first 2 years in the league, and maybe he was alittle too. This is the first time he's struggled with for any length of time dating all the way back through college. Im sure it's been an adjustment for him, and he forced the issue alot this year with his play. A full offseason of rest and then getting back into the flow little by little should do him a world of good.

LatrobePA
12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm still a Big Ben fan!! But I won't lie, I feel bad for the guy! He's had a horrid year, yea he's made some crappy throws and decisions, but the o-line has been way off this year! Finish the year off with a good game against the POS bungles and move on to 2007!! HERE WE GO STEELERS!!

TampaSteelGirl
12-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Oh I agree...it was definately the entire team...I do think that when Bettis left, the team lost alot of heart..in the locker room and the field. They just all seemed all out of sync...It started with Ben's accident and all of our receivers dropping balls...Even Hines!!!!! Fumbling..I remember last year you couldn't pry a ball out of his cold dead hands....Our O-line was horrible and the Defense showed up half the time, and special teams...need I say more!! :confused: ...So it was an entire team loss...

Next year will be different!!!! :tt02:

Aunkster
12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
I think ben will be ok,I remember Bradhaw's 3rd season was very rough and look what happened there.

Where I was sitting they werent bashing Ben but they were chanting for Batch.

Steelerlyn
12-27-2006, 03:35 PM
I think ben will be ok,I remember Bradhaw's 3rd season was very rough and look what happened there.

Where I was sitting they werent bashing Ben but they were chanting for Batch.

Very good point! The Steeler fans made Bradshaw feel like crap

BlitzburghRockCity
12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Steeler fans in general are as dedicated as you'll find in sports. We stand by our team no matter what..but we do get pissed off and frustrated because we've been so spoiled with success.

House of Steel
12-27-2006, 09:37 PM
I am standing behind Ben 100%. Sure, he had a mediocre season at best, but don't all quarterbacks have one or two of those in a career before finding the rhythm that leads to more championships and a Hall of Fame Resume. Ben is perhaps one of the greatest rookie QB to ever don the field in 2003. He lead us to a Super Bowl World Championship last season. You can't get any better than that. Tell me who had a better record than Ben in the first two seasons in the NFL? NOONE!!! Third Season, I mean yes, he had a severe accident that caused head trama and all sorts of other mental mishaps, but I think him having at least a several month layover before the start of next training camp to get back into shape, to work with Whipple on mechanics and improving his game, to work with Whisenhunt on the gameplans, etc. etc. etc. Physically, he needs to work on getting stronger and putting on some weight to get back to the playing weight of his rookie season. I think once that all pans out, we are going to see some of his greatest seasons start to line up one after another. I AM NEVER GOING TO GIVE UP ON THIS TEAM, BEN, OR ANYONE!!! THE STEELERS ARE MY TEAM AND DAMNIT THROUGH THICK AND THIN, I BLEED BLACK AND GOLD.

Steelerlyn
12-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Turnovers are clearly the reason for our woes. How many points did we allow after a turnover? We kept ourselves out of games and allowed other to stay in. Ben had problems with decision making, accuracy and confidence. That being said, we are not in the playoffs because of Cowher. Ben gets the reprieve for his horrible year in relation to injuries and still being a young QB. If he performs this way next year he is done. Cowher had more than one chance to not play Ben or pull Ben when we had a chance to win games and didn't do it. Showing faith in your young QB is one thing, but losing multiple games because of it is another.

House of Steel
12-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Well Said, Sis, very, very proud of your post. :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

STEELERS ROAD to Super Bowl XLII starts in August 2007!

Black@Gold Forever32
12-28-2006, 06:11 PM
I have been a fan of Ben's since his Miami of Ohio days and I will always be a fan of Ben's. Ben and the Steelers will rebound in 2007. The NFL better watch out!!!!!!!!!!

Stairwayto7
12-28-2006, 09:43 PM
I give Ben alot of credit for taking a beating week after week, considering what he went through. Remember it was only six months ago, since the accident. I`m sure he can still feel some of the bumps and bruises

Steelersfan
12-29-2006, 02:22 AM
I just think this whole season is a combination of Ben and Ward being hurt. Not getting the reps during the off season for Ben to get a feel with the WR's, then playing a game or two, then hurt again, then playing again....etc. We just haven't been able to get any rythym going on offense with Ben and the WR's. Not to mention the running game being as far up and down as it could be.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2006, 06:30 AM
I just think this whole season is a combination of Ben and Ward being hurt. Not getting the reps during the off season for Ben to get a feel with the WR's, then playing a game or two, then hurt again, then playing again....etc. We just haven't been able to get any rythym going on offense with Ben and the WR's. Not to mention the running game being as far up and down as it could be.

Well said ! Also the lackluster performance by the offensive line in keeping Ben upright and opening up holes for Willie, along with the front 7 on defense not getting consistent pressure on the QB. It's all snowballed this year. Turnovers, injuries, BC's status up in the air, we were doomed before the season even started and just couldnt dig out way out of the hole until it was too late. In the end the same problems that plagued us from the get go, ultimately spelled our doom last weekend.

SteelerFan87
12-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Terry Bradshaw, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox.

What do these 3 guys have in common? They were all Steelers QBs who were, at different points in their careers, considered heroes and scapegoats. Why would Ben be any different?

Black@Gold Forever32
12-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Well Ben had a part in the Steelers winning a Super Bowl in only his second season thats why I think Ben should be cut some slack. I again read a story today regarding on how Ben's poor work ethic. Which I don't doubt since he did have so much success early on his career. The success probally went to Ben's head. So hopefully Ben workds extra hard in the off-season with his WR's and he bounces back strong. I have liked Ben since his Miami of Ohio days and thought the sky was the limit for him and still do.

DIESELMAN
12-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Ben is a gunslinger :postal: and even though hes had a rough season hes also showed his toughness, being able to play through adversity and overcoming some of his critics. Say what you want about Cowher but this was a test season for Big Ben, he fought his way through some crappy games and still had a better season then a lot of other starting QB's in the league. He would not have been able to prove that if he would have been on the bench. Winning to a certain extent isn't everything sometimes you gain things while you are losing and IMHO Ben gained a couple of seasons worth of knowledge this year thats only going to be a plus in the years to come. No matter what our record shows he never gave up, Cowher never gave up and the Steelers never gave up.....:helmet:

SteelersfaninPhilly
12-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Coaching aside for a minute. This team has the pieces in place to make a serious run over the next few seasons. Tweak here and there of course. Next year the Steelers have something to prove.