PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith

aaronsmith91
01-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Lombardi on NFL network predicted about a 30% chance he is in Saturday, I'm sure most people here hope his cellular process heals him in time

Phenomenal TJ
01-13-2011, 12:46 AM
I'd like him back for Saturday, but I don't want him to be one and done. Would much prefer to have him in the AFC Championship game, which is more than likely going to be against the Patriots.

bobbybelliv
01-13-2011, 01:16 AM
I question if he should play at all... Maybe he can jump right back in the groove, but is now the time to test that? Dude is a beast and would LOVE to him wreak havoc against the Rayzens Sat.

steelersbabex25
01-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Is this a weather report? 30% chance of rain..30% chance Smith plays.

cmerrifield
01-13-2011, 07:01 AM
nfl.com is saying he wont play until the SuperBowl. So who knows? I think the writers are just making up stories now. :lol:

LarryNJ
01-13-2011, 07:41 AM
I think the writers are just making up stories now. :lol:

Yes, that's always a problem. There are way too many of them, they all write the same articles in the beginning of the week, than they start making things up. Ask scorp he knows all about it. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah I read that on NFL.com as well. The Steelers are just like anyone else, if they can keep injury severity a secret, even alittle bit, they'll do it. Let's face it, there's an advantage to not letting the other team know the real story on an injury if you can get away with it. There's ways to buck the NFL injury system if you know what I mean.

Obviously Smith won't be 100% even if he does play, but even from just a pure rotation standpoint it would be nice to have him back.

Phenomenal TJ
01-13-2011, 08:32 AM
nfl.com is saying he wont play until the SuperBowl.

At least NFL.com knows who's going to be playing in the Super Bowl. ;)

LatrobePA
01-13-2011, 08:41 AM
IMO we made a huge mistake by not putting him on IR, we lost a 4th round pick from last year to keep his spot!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-13-2011, 09:01 AM
At least NFL.com knows who's going to be playing in the Super Bowl. ;)

No doubt!! :cope:

IMO we made a huge mistake by not putting him on IR, we lost a 4th round pick from last year to keep his spot!!

Honestly, I think it was a safe call at the time. Looking back now, maybe not so much. I think there was a better player to replace than Gibson. Given the fact though that without Aaron last year our defense was noticeably less effective the reasoning was that he's such an important player, if we can survive till the playoffs Aaron would be a difference maker.

With the emergence of Hood being more and more effective, and Troy staying healthy, Postie having a great year, and all those factors, missing Aaron hasn't been that bad.

coldrolled
01-13-2011, 09:08 AM

Thats the real story... The steelers are trying to cover that total error in judgement....

We get a 5th for Holmes and give away Gibson a fourth round for 0

And we cant sign NA because we have no cash? :banging:

We should have dumped Lewis kept Gibson and now sign NA.

:evilshake:

LatrobePA
01-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Thats the real story... The steelers are trying to cover that total error in judgement....

We get a 5th for Holmes and give away Gibson a fourth round for 0

And we cant sign NA because we have no cash? :banging:

We should have dumped Lewis kept Gibson and now sign NA.

:evilshake:

I agree.

Hood and the other guys have chipped in well, and this defense hasn't lost a beat (actually got better)..

cmerrifield
01-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I am ok with the 5th for Holmes, but I think Lewis or Battle would have been much better to waive than Gibson, but who knows. Tomlin said he would do it again, so maybe Tomlin saw a little too much Bruce Davis in Gibson? Anyway, I wish we would have IRed Smith too, but hind sight 20/20 and all that. I just think they were scared of what happened last season.

WindyCityShaker
01-13-2011, 10:18 AM
No way AS should play in this game. If there's a chance he could play next week, or even in the Super Bowl save him until it's time. By not putting him on IR we've handicapped our team to an extent for most of the season, yet look where we are, what's another week or 3?

Obviously having to give up Gibson in order to do this hurts, but honestly did we have to give up Gibson; weren't there other options?

Either way we're the Pittsburgh Steelers, we always overcome and perservere. We've lost great ones before and as coach T likes to say if that happens it's "Next Man Up". We've still got Worilds outside should we lose wood and whatnot, so start really coaching him up. and in a couple or a few years we'll be talking about how many outside lb's we have and how we need a couple more ILB's, it's the nature of the philosophy.

If it's Potsie, Snack, or Harrison someone needs to walk up to Ziggy today, just grab him by the facemask and give him that look. No words, just that look of "this is on you, this is your time, we're all counting on you". He's been improving, even if slower than what we'd have wanted but I see some improvement. Let's see if our leaders can't shake the best possible effort out of this kid and see what he's made of.

SteelCityKid5
01-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Writers are saying hes out while reports are saying the Stees are still optimistic for this Saturday.

Scorp
01-13-2011, 03:40 PM
By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Jan. 12, 2011 at 02:00 p.m. Updated: Jan. 12, 2011 at 02:41 p.m.

The Pittsburgh Steelers might not have Aaron Smith back this season unless they reach the Super Bowl, a source with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.

Smith, an elite 3-4 defensive end and one of the key cogs in Pittsburgh's defense, tore his triceps during a Week 7 game at Miami and hasn't played since.

The Steelers knew at the time that Smith's injury could have been considered season-ending, but given his importance to the team, they kept a roster spot open for the playoffs and didn't place him on injured reserve. He is virtually certain not to face the Baltimore Ravens this week and would be doubtful to play in the AFC Championship Game as well, according to the source.

"The Super Bowl would probably be the most realistic timetable," the source said.

The Steelers would have to win two more games to get there, and then would have the pre-Super Bowl bye week as well.

Smith resumed weightlifting weeks ago, but he has only been able to practice thus far on an extremely limited basis.

MDSteel15
01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
By Jason La Canfora NFL Network
NFL Network Insider
Published: Jan. 12, 2011 at 02:00 p.m. Updated: Jan. 12, 2011 at 02:41 p.m.

The Pittsburgh Steelers might not have Aaron Smith back this season unless they reach the Super Bowl, a source with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.

Smith, an elite 3-4 defensive end and one of the key cogs in Pittsburgh's defense, tore his triceps during a Week 7 game at Miami and hasn't played since.

The Steelers knew at the time that Smith's injury could have been considered season-ending, but given his importance to the team, they kept a roster spot open for the playoffs and didn't place him on injured reserve. He is virtually certain not to face the Baltimore Ravens this week and would be doubtful to play in the AFC Championship Game as well, according to the source.

"The Super Bowl would probably be the most realistic timetable," the source said.

The Steelers would have to win two more games to get there, and then would have the pre-Super Bowl bye week as well.

Smith resumed weightlifting weeks ago, but he has only been able to practice thus far on an extremely limited basis.

For those that don't believe, here it is in bold print... Man I hate when he gets overlooked for ProBowl consideration :stirpot:

cmerrifield
01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Jason La Canfora always makes crap up and says its from a "source close to the situation" or something like that. He is almost never right when it comes to the Steelers. For example, said Essex would start LT, said Ben was for sure being traded etc.

HUNT4SEVEN
01-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I'd like him back for Saturday, but I don't want him to be one and done. Would much prefer to have him in the AFC Championship game, which is more than likely going to be against the Patriots AGREED:tt02:

I do think though that if they fitted him ( Smith ) for a shoulder brace a while ago maybe he might play, but i believe they save him for the Cheaters also...GO Steelers:tt02:

xxxsteelernation
01-16-2011, 04:30 PM
anyword if smitty is going to be back for the conference championship. not that im anti hood right now cause he is being lights out but i really would love to have smitty's experience in these big games? or just a rotation between smitty and hood to keep each other fresh

JensK
01-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Doubtful so far.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't imagine we'll get any real word until Thursday at the earliest when teams have to release their final injury reports. I would imagine he'll be a game time decision if he improves enough to be able to go.

Danger DANJ
01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Aaron Smith will finally practice this week. If he is ready to go against the Jets, it will be on a limited basis.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11018/1118847-100.stm

coldrolled
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Aaron Smith will finally practice this week. If he is ready to go against the Jets, it will be on a limited basis.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11018/1118847-100.stm

this is good. if he is active he can be the backup for hood and keisel

Real Deal Steel
01-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Would love to have a freash Smith come in on 3rd and 9 situations. Because he puts his hands up often and knocks down a pass here and there.