PDA

View Full Version : New turf

Scorp
01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
New sod was placed on Heinz Field after the Winter Classic hockey game, the third sod field this season, and the temperatures have mostly been below freezing since then.

Additionally, forecasts for heavy snow and temperatures below freezing all week could make for an interesting field surface Saturday.

Do coaches take into account possible weather conditions and playing surface when they formulate game plans?

"I do more of that in the stadium, in terms of in-game adjusting, than I do from a preparation standpoint," Tomlin said. "I don't pay too much attention to weather forecasts. Those guys got great jobs -- '50 percent chance of rain,' you know?"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011/1117015-66.stm#ixzz1AkXepJpu

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2011, 05:44 PM
When you put down new sod you typically want to give it as much time as possible for the grass to take root and interweave itself together for maximum traction. Obviously with this new turf, the football should be good because it's new grass but with the weather this time of year it's anybody's guess how it will actually react. I would suspect both teams will be changing cleats atleast once during this game.

steeldoc
01-12-2011, 07:29 PM
It won't matter, the field is frozen and will be until February. Bet Tomlin had Suisham at Heinz field every day, trying to get it right.