PDA

View Full Version : What MUST the Ravens do to have a legit chance to win this game??

Troyisabeast_43
01-10-2011, 07:58 PM
I know a lot of people will look at this thread and say HUH?? Why is he asking that question when it's a Steelers message board?? But I thought I would turn the tables a little bit and get everyone's thoughts on how the Ravens can win this game and finally beat the Steelers when Ben Roethlisberger is the QB something they havent done in nearly 5 years. I think it all comes down to Joe Flacco once again being able to outperform Ben Roethlisberger for the entire 60 minutes and not make that one critical interception or sack or fumble in the game that Ben usually doesnt make and Flacco usually does make when the Steelers play the Ravens. I really believe it's key for the Steelers to get out to the lead in this game and go no huddle/hurry up a lot of this game and exploit that weak Ravens secondary and give Ben more time to throw in the pocket by putting him in the shotgun. The Steelers have the weapons on offense with Hines Wallace,Sanders,Miller,Brown, and even Mendy and Redman to spread the Ravens out all game I believe and have their way with them. I am just praying this is not the one game that Joe Flacco finally beats Ben Roethlisberger since it has yet to happen and is long overdue as the old saying goes.

Ill be honest with some of you guys right now at the start of the week I just have a bad vibe about this game at this point and time. It definitely could change and sometimes does as the week goes on but right now at this point and time I just have a sickening type of feeling that the Ravens somehow someway will win this game. I hope I am dead wrong and my gut will change and now I want to hear why people think the Steelers will win this game and how the Ravens can win this game??

igor0190
01-10-2011, 08:04 PM
I really hope the lack of rest (5 days off between games) really hurts the Ratbirds... The Steelers need to start fast in this one as the Rats should wear down more than the Steelers throughout the game.

Troyisabeast_43
01-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I really hope the lack of rest (5 days off between games) really hurts the Ratbirds... The Steelers need to start fast in this one as the Rats should wear down more than the Steelers throughout the game.

That's why as you said it's key for the Steelers to start fast and get out to a 10-14 point lead in this game and keep that Ravens defense on the field a lot and keep grinding them and wearing them down as the game goes on. The Steelers absolutely cannot afford to have these 8-9 minute possessions like we have seen them have numerous times this season where they move the ball in between the 20's and hold onto the ball forever, but at the end of the drive they come away with 3 or worse yet 0 points. Not cashing in on scoring opportunities against the Ravens will absolutely kill you and Bruce Arians is going to once again have to get his head out of his *** this week and call plays that best exploit this Ravens defense.

The best way to do that as I mentioned above is to go no huddle/hurry up a lot of the time. You cannot play this game where you do run on first and second down and try to pound the Ravens and then set-up 3rd and mid range or long. The Steelers need to use Mike Wallace and Sanders over the middle with those quick slant plays which get them to the middle of the field where they can use their speed and out run the Ravens secondary which is not very good at all. You are going to know right away how this game is going to turn out I believe it wont take very long. If the Steelers fail to take advantage of good field position and scoring opportunities early in this game when they get them which I believe they will get, then they are playing right into the Ravens hands and at some point the Ravens if you dont take advantage of the mistakes they make and the opportunities they give you they will make you pay and pay big time...The Steelers have to make sure that doesnt happen in this game or they will be in huge trouble...

LarryNJ
01-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Get the ball in Ray Rice and Todd Heap hands consistently in the short passing game. That will open up a couple big plays to number 81. Win the TO battle. Blitz Sugg every play.

steelchamp204
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
You act like this will be a blowout, the ravens dont need to do anything, this will be a close game.

Troyisabeast_43
01-10-2011, 09:09 PM
You act like this will be a blowout, the ravens dont need to do anything, this will be a close game.

I think if the Steelers offense plays like they are capable of and BA stops ****ing around with playcalling, and the defense shows up and plays like we all know they will do then I think the Steelers have a chance to beat the Ravens by 10-14 points in this game. The Ravens offense lacks killer instinct late in games and has had a lot of problems scoring TD's in the 2nd half and putting games away. They cannot afford to do that in this game or they will lose. The Ravens offense will have a much harder time moving the ball in this game then they did in Baltimore on December 5th even though they didnt do that great in that game to begin with. I dont see them hitting those big passes to Boldin and Stallworth that they hit in Baltimore at their own goaline. The crowd will be a big factor in this game for Flacco I believe and if you put him behind in this game he is bound to throw an interception or get sacked and fumble the ball...

steelersbabex25
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
But I thought I would turn the tables a little bit and get everyone's thoughts on how the Ravens can win this game

They can't. :steelflash:

steelchamp204
01-10-2011, 09:21 PM
I think if the Steelers offense plays like they are capable of and BA stops ****ing around with playcalling, and the defense shows up and plays like we all know they will do then I think the Steelers have a chance to beat the Ravens by 10-14 points in this game. The Ravens offense lacks killer instinct late in games and has had a lot of problems scoring TD's in the 2nd half and putting games away. They cannot afford to do that in this game or they will lose. The Ravens offense will have a much harder time moving the ball in this game then they did in Baltimore on December 5th even though they didnt do that great in that game to begin with. I dont see them hitting those big passes to Boldin and Stallworth that they hit in Baltimore at their own goaline. The crowd will be a big factor in this game for Flacco I believe and if you put him behind in this game he is bound to throw an interception or get sacked and fumble the ball...

I know lol, I just hope the ravens dont get off to a fast start is all.

LarryNJ
01-10-2011, 09:25 PM

:yellowthumb::yellowthumb::yellowthumb::plus1::plu s1::plus1::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::clap::c lap::clap::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::cope::cope::cop e::cope:

steelerschick1220
01-10-2011, 10:50 PM
In the last four years the Ravens are 0-7 coming off a short week.

We are winning this game. I can feel it.

coach
01-10-2011, 11:55 PM
They need to play a clean game. They can't. They lose.

Real Deal Steel
01-11-2011, 01:49 AM

If we start fast and get up 10-0, they will panic and Flacco will throw picks like crazy. And we know how much Troy loves picking off Flacco. :lol:

JensK
01-11-2011, 05:00 AM
The Ravens just have to come with the same gameplan which they had against Chiefs, then Steelers are in trouble. They destroyed them with short routes, which the Steelers have been killed by for years now (see: Patriots game).

UKSTEELER
01-11-2011, 07:25 AM
I couldn't give a ****!:yellowthumb:

stratocaster68
01-11-2011, 07:40 AM
I wonder how much the Steelers will exploit Troy's sack/fumble from the last game? Make the Ravens key on him too much and bring the pressure from elsewhere.

But, if the Steelers leave Heap open like the Chiefs did then we're in for a long day. One commentator said last week that the Ravens' wide receivers are not as good as their reputations. So far that's been true but that may have something to do with Flacco.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Just for the fun of it I'll oblige you, even though it pains me endlessly to talk about the Ravens. They key for them is the short passing game like Latrobe mentioned. Using Heap in the same way that we use Heath Miller, down the middle of the field. Heath was available to them in the first meeting but the 2nd one he left with that hamstring. A key for them too is try and get Rice going. If they can do that the play action will be available.

Now having said that, we know we'll stop the run. It's what we do and what we'll make sure is 1st priority. We did it in both games this year. The Steelers always have problems covering a TE. The Patiots burn us with the TE, the Bengals TE made some plays, and you know Heap will be a big part of that. The Steelers can counter most likely with putting Troy on Heath a lot of the time. We'll see if that plan works.

Overall, the key for either team is to get out early and put the opposing offense on the defensive if you will. Make them press to try and catch up. Is that really going to happen? For the Steelers it certainly could, we have proven we can jump out quick on opponents. If that happens the crowd will take over and big a key factor in the game. The Ravens aren't the type of team, against us, that will normally jump out to a big lead. They will try and work the ball down the field using the short to intermediate passing game. We know we can do that too but I like the Steelers chances of going deep against the Ravens secondary a lot. Other than Reed, nobody in that secondary scares anyone.

The Ravens used the middle of the field almost exclusively against the Chiefs because KC has a real good secondary. Baltimore will take some shots down the field I'm sure, but they will mainly focus on their usual game plan. Run and use the short to intermediate passing game with Bouldin and Heap.

SteelDad
01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Apparently they won't have to do much because I keep hearing all the talking heads rant about them beating us this week. Fine with me, I like flying under the radar.

cmerrifield
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM
The key for the Ravens will be the same as for us, get a early lead to get the crowd out of it and make Ben beat them. With Suggs owning Scott like he isnt even blocking him, we cannot expect Ben to have time to pass every down. The Ravens know the Steelers are well rested and focused, so keep the defense on the field for a long period of time. Short routes, runs and patience early will be the key for the Ravens. It will be exactly the same as ours. Early lead and make the QB beat you, and when his throwing blitz like crazy

DIESELMAN
01-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Game plan for the Ravens should be, pressure and contain Ben. Keep our offense off the field and no mistakes by Flacco. Our defensive game plan should be blitz, blitz and blitz while containing Rice. The last game was a tale of 2 halves. First half, Flacco did what he wanted and we were lucky to go into half time down only 7-0. Second half we intensified our blitz and Flacco couldn't do anything. So, take away Flacco and their D will have to win the game, their D isn't what it used to be.

Scorp
01-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
By Jamison Hensley, The Baltimore Sun
BALTIMORE -- A trip to the AFC championship game and a shot at redemption await the Ravens in Saturday's divisional playoff game at Heinz Field.

Everyone in the Ravens locker room knows the reason they have to play at Heinz Field is because they failed to finish off their biggest rival 36 days ago.

The Ravens have since won five consecutive games -- which is currently the second-longest winning streak in the NFL -- but the players are carrying that loss with them along with a suddenly hot quarterback and an even hotter defense.

"I think it's going to be World War III," Ravens safety Dawan Landry said. "The last one left a bad taste in our mouth."

Whether it's having a first-round bye ripped from them or a championship dream squashed, Pittsburgh has become a frustrating roadblock for the Ravens, who have never beaten the Steelers in the playoffs.

The Ravens' Super Bowl title defense came to an end at Pittsburgh in the divisional playoffs in January 2002. Their championship run in coach John Harbaugh's first season was stopped by the Steelers in the AFC championship game in January 2009.

Still, the Ravens are embracing the challenge ahead.

The Ravens are currently 31/2-point underdogs, and that should be expected.

Five of the past six regular-season games between the Ravens and Steelers have been decided by three points, including both meetings this season.

"We know what [the Steelers are] all about, and it's going to be a tough game, but we're very confident about going there and playing against them," cornerback Chris Carr said. "And I'm sure they're very confident as well. Every single time we play them, it doesn't matter how good you play, it always seems like the game ends up being close. So hopefully, we can come in there and have a little better effort than we did in the second game."

That confidence should be brimming after the Ravens' 30-7 dismantling of the Kansas City Chiefs in Sunday's wild-card game.

The defense tied a playoff team record with five turnovers, and quarterback Joe Flacco tied an NFL record with his fourth playoff road win as a starter by putting together his most impressive postseason performance.

Four reasons the wild-card game offers hope of beating the Steelers:

Joe Flacco's play against the blitz. Flacco had perhaps his best showing in the pocket, from stepping up to make a throw to shrugging off a defender to scrambling for extra yards. He was nearly perfect against the Chiefs' pressure, completing 4 of 5 passes for 58 yards when Kansas City blitzed a defensive back. The Chiefs' secondary blitz had held teams to the lowest completion rate in the NFL this season, according to ESPN.

Opening up the passing game. Flacco's comfort zone has always seemed to be throwing the ball to Derrick Mason on the outside and finding Ray Rice underneath the coverage. In the wild-card game, Flacco controlled the middle of the field, completing 18 of 21 passes with two touchdowns in between the field numbers. Tight end Todd Heap and wide receiver Anquan Boldin resurfaced in a passing game that will need to carry the Ravens against the NFL's top-ranked run defense.

Creating turnovers. Causing a handful of turnovers in the playoffs is always impressive. But the Ravens defense forced these mistakes out of a Chiefs team that had the second-fewest giveaways in the NFL.

Discovering their finishing touch. The Ravens have struggled all season to put teams away early, losing nine leads in the fourth quarter. But they owned the fourth quarter in Sunday's wild-card game, controlling the ball for all but 68 seconds. The Ravens need to carry that same mentality into Pittsburgh, especially when you consider that both meetings have come down to plays late in the fourth quarter.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011/1117014-66.stm#ixzz1AkVzpD8R

Black@Gold Forever32
01-11-2011, 01:50 PM
The Ravens just have to come with the same gameplan which they had against Chiefs, then Steelers are in trouble. They destroyed them with short routes, which the Steelers have been killed by for years now (see: Patriots game).

The Ravens running short routes had nothing to do with the Chiefs losing that game....The Chiefs shitting the bed on offense and turning the ball over 5 times was the main reason.........Flacco is the master of the check down and that is nothing new.....Dump offs to Rice and using Heap over the middle is the norm for Joe "Squats To Pee" Flacco......I just find it funny finally Flacco has a good play-off game and he is the second coming of Joe Montana and the Ravens offense are the 80s 49ers....lol

I wasn't impressed at all with the Ravens against the Chiefs.......Chiefs looked like scared little girls on offense....

As for this upcoming game.....The game won't be a blow out since Ravens/Steelers games are usually close.....These two teams know each other to well and I expect another close game coming down to the final minutes......

In response to 43's comments on the Steelers starting fast....I agree 100% and I really hope Tomlin/Arians do this.....Put the Ravens in a hole early down by double digits.....Then we all will see what a fraud Flacco really is..........He is money early in games but usually makes those critical mistakes late in games....

But I'm sure Tomlin and Arians will try to run the football like always against the Ravens and will have limited success since no matter the RB the Steelers can't run the ball on the Ravens front 7....The Steelers just don't have the hogs up front to do this consistently.....Spread them out and let Big Ben win this game.....Of course the defense to but I expect that type of effort and game out of this defense......

The team that wins this game will be the one that executes better and limits turn overs......Of course that is the case for most football games but its even more of a case when its Ravens/Steelers.....

Steelers- 20

Ravens- 17

steelersbabex25
01-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Apparently they won't have to do much because I keep hearing all the talking heads rant about them beating us this week. Fine with me, I like flying under the radar.

As always. When's the last time the media picked the Steelers to win a playoff game?

pimplydan
01-11-2011, 02:46 PM

RIGHT ON !!

Please don't mention those bad fealings about this one.everytime the steelers play a big game we all think maybe this maybe that can happen and the steelers lose.We all have those fealings inside some times , that because we bleed black and gold !
We're not ready to accept a loss , because we only want to accept a win .What probable going to happen in this one is . It,s going to be a slugfest like usual , a bad penalty call on defense will help the Ravens on a Td drive , and in the end , Ben does what he needs to do , we score last and win .

PIMP

nuclearchihuahuas
01-11-2011, 04:17 PM
I know lol, I just hope the ravens dont get off to a fast start is all.

Their guys are calling this armageddon but our guys are saying its just another playoff game...I hope we don't come out flat...

SteelCurtainYinzer
01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
There is a point where too much hype can hamper a team. I mean they are so pumped up that the first two possessions of the game will dictate if your going to fall flat on your face or dominate the game. It is as simple as that. I look at Seattle who didn't give up after going down by 10 in last weeks game as an example of have nothing to lose. this means everything to Baltimore and for Pittsburgh it is another game. They know how to win and Baltimore has struggled to do so in very big games with the players they have on this team.
Getting Todd Heap into the game will help them tremendously, it will allow for Boulden to become more open in critical situations much like he was in last weeks game. Being able to use Rice out of the backfield will be huge when they are looking for an option receive I don't feel McGhee will be a major factor in this game but I could be wrong. Pressure on Flacco----from the onset of the game we need to come at him full force and perhaps even take a critical blow that give's 15. I would only recommend this if the inflicted damage was enough to make him force throws into coverage and throw passes high.
Another area that Baltimore can't afford is to turn the ball over or start the ball deep in their zone.
For the Steelers, getting Mendenhall moving the ball downhill will be huge because again, like Baltimore, it will allow for us to open Ben up to either drop a big pass to Wallace, especially if Reed doesn't play, or 7 to 8 yard passes to Miller. By doing this Pittsburgh will control time of possession and for Baltimore to have pressure and potentially turn the ball over. Sounds simple but this game is going to come down to the 4th quarter and who ever has the ball last.

JensK
01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
The Ravens running short routes had nothing to do with the Chiefs losing that game....The Chiefs shitting the bed on offense and turning the ball over 5 times was the main reason.........Flacco is the master of the check down and that is nothing new.....Dump offs to Rice and using Heap over the middle is the norm for Joe "Squats To Pee" Flacco......I just find it funny finally Flacco has a good play-off game and he is the second coming of Joe Montana and the Ravens offense are the 80s 49ers....lol

I wasn't impressed at all with the Ravens against the Chiefs.......Chiefs looked like scared little girls on offense....

I did not state the the short routes killed Chiefs. Its quite obvious that the Chiefs killed the Chiefs. What I did say was that the gameplan which they utilized was very identical with what Patriots for instance normally use; Not as effective, but still the same kind of scheme. A scheme which hurts Steelers and pretty much any cover 2 team. I agree that Flacco is overrated to an extend where it is getting ridiculous. All I'm saying is that while Dump offs to Ray and Heap might be expected from Flacco, it is the way to beat the Steelers, which is troublesome.

LarryNJ
01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
As always. When's the last time the media picked the Steelers to win a playoff game?

Their last playoff game! :lol:

Scorp
01-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Can Ravens Finally Survive Postseason Trip to Pittsburgh?
By Pat McManamon
Senior Writer | Follow on Twitter: @PatMcManamon

KANSAS CITY -- The NFL's road warriors face another test on Sunday.

Baltimore has played six road playoff games the past three seasons, and have won four of those games -- the most recent a 30-7 dismantling of the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

To advance to the AFC championship game, though, the Ravens have to win where they have yet to win in the playoffs: Pittsburgh.

The Ravens established their road trend during their Super Bowl season in 2000, when they went on the road as a wild-card team and beat Denver, Tennessee and Oakland in consecutive weeks, before dismantling the Giants on a neutral field. The last three seasons, the Ravens have defeated Kansas City, New England, Miami and Tennessee on the road. Add in the 2001 season, when the Ravens split, and include the Super Bowl, and Baltimore is 9-3 on the road in the playoffs since 2000.

But ... there is a major caveat. Two of the three losses have come to the Steelers -- a 27-10 loss in the divisional round in 2001 and a 23-14 loss in the AFC championship game following the '08 season. Baltimore plays Pittsburgh again at 4:30 p.m. ET on Saturday.

"We'd be happy to see them out of it," quipped Baltimore coach John Harbaugh about the Steelers.

"One of these days, we'll be good enough to earn the right to play them at our place."
-- Ravens coach John Harbaugh on another playoff trip to Pittsburgh Perhaps Baltimore is due to win in Pittsburgh. And perhaps this season will be for road wild-card teams, since three of them won this past weekend.

The '08 championship game was as nasty and as hard-hitting a game as has been played in years. The final score read that the Steelers won by nine, but Baltimore had the ball in the fourth quarter down two with a chance to take the lead. Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu intercepted Joe Flacco, though, and returned the pass for a touchdown.

The Ravens have made that "almost" theme a constant the past few years. Baltimore has qualified for the playoffs seven times the past 11 seasons. But they had to go the wild-card route six of those years -- including this one.

Oddly enough, the two seasons the Ravens hosted their opening playoff game, they lost -- in the wild-card round to Tennessee in '03 and in the divisional-round to Indianapolis following '06. Lose at home, win on the road does not exactly follow the script. Then again, neither did the Steelers-Ravens games in this year's regular season. The home team lost both, by three points each time.

Baltimore's win this season, though, came with Ben Roethlisberger suspended. Pittsburgh has won six in a row over its arch-rival with Roethlisberger on the field.

Baltimore-Pittsburgh is the kind or rivalry that produces slobber-knocker football that is not for the timid. The two teams have played seven times the past three seasons, and games have been decided by less than 10 points each time -- and five of those meetings were three-point affairs.

"It seems like poetic justice -- Pittsburgh in the playoffs at their place," Harbaugh said. Then he added a dose of reality: "One of these days, we'll be good enough to earn the right to play them at our place."

The Ravens will have to adjust their offensive emphasis against the Steelers. Tight end Todd Heap caught 10 passes for 108 yards against the Chiefs, both personal bests in the playoffs.

Baltimore's approach was simple: Let wide receivers drive corners deep, then let Heap choose a route. He either would sit in an open area or run a crossing route. Kansas City continually played man on Heap, with safety Jon McGraw or Eric Berry covering the tight end. Because of that, Heap continually chose the crossing route and continually beat the safety across the field. Four of Heap's catches converted third downs, a big reason Baltimore held the ball for almost 42 minutes.

Pittsburgh isn't Kansas City, though -- Steelers safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu are the strength of the defense

There was a lot of teeth-gnashing in Kansas City over a failed fourth-and-1 run in the second half, when the Chiefs chose to pitch the ball wide to Jamaal Charles instead of running up the middle. The play came with Kansas City down three, and it was all downhill from there.

"We had a play that we practiced that we obviously thought a lot more of than what occurred," Chiefs coach Todd Haley said. "When they work, they're good plays and when they don't they're bad plays, bad calls, and that's one of those."

Kansas City was brutal the second half, with 25 total yards, 12 rushing.

When asked about departing offensive coordinator Charlie Weis after the game, Haley more or less grumbled into the microphone, said he didn't want to talk about it. He then briefly asked if there were any more questions before quickly walking away.

LatrobePA
01-11-2011, 08:57 PM
KC sucks...Please no one compare this team to that Browns team dressed in red!!

coach
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I did not state the the short routes killed Chiefs. Its quite obvious that the Chiefs killed the Chiefs. What I did say was that the gameplan which they utilized was very identical with what Patriots for instance normally use; Not as effective, but still the same kind of scheme. A scheme which hurts Steelers and pretty much any cover 2 team. I agree that Flacco is overrated to an extend where it is getting ridiculous. All I'm saying is that while Dump offs to Ray and Heap might be expected from Flacco, it is the way to beat the Steelers, which is troublesome.

Steelers will stop the run, but if we allow them to throw, the running game opens up. They did it short against KC, they did it deep against us in December. Our secondary was scorched.
They will be able to throw if we don't get some pressure. I like it when Gay rushes. He is no help in coverage if the QB sits back wit time to throw.

Please let the O give the D a blow and don't go out 3 and out on successive possessions like they did in December.

I think it will be a lowscoring close game.

steelersbabex25
01-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Their last playoff game! :lol:

:thinking: You know what I mean

Black@Gold Forever32
01-12-2011, 01:46 AM

Troublesome if the Steelers defense doesn't keep the Ravens offense out of the endzone.......That is the key holding them to 3 points if the Ravens have those long drives thanks to their short passing game.......Flacco's short game doesn't worry me a bit and I think the Steelers D will hold them to around 17-20 points.........Steelers offense against their front 7 is the key........Steelers offense must execute and score TD's in the red zone......no turn overs.........

Phenomenal TJ
01-12-2011, 02:45 AM
They need to involve Ray Rice in the passing game, and attack William Gay like there's no tomorrow. Because, well, if they don't - there is no tomorrow.

Dean Denton
01-12-2011, 04:18 AM
show up and play. This is going to come down to the wire unless ben has another game like he did throwing 4 td's in the first half like a few years ago...

DIESELMAN
01-12-2011, 08:04 AM
Our secondary needs to stay tightened up like the past few games. Last game against them, Flacco had 2 long completions over 60 yards. We need to put pressure on Flacco until he gets on the bus back to Baltimore. Like someone already said, we can't let Rice get involved with the passing game, he is dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Goodfrom55
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
For the Ravens to win this game, they need to do (4) things:

1- Ray Rice 30 touches (rushing - receiving)

2- Confuse / dominate the Steelers O-line so the offense stays out of rhythm all game.

3- Score first and put pressure on the Steelers to become (1) dimensional to play catch up.

4-Exploit Secondary Matchups on McFadden and Gay.