PDA

View Full Version : Keys for the Ravens Game

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 04:46 PM
This game is all but over, so I thought I'd just put this up now. I've come up with a few keys to the game next week so far from watching this game. Of course, some adding of keys would be accepted :grin1:

1. Ray Rice must be stopped. This little kid is so elusive I can barely keep my eyes on him. If we don't stop Ray Rice and cover him on every play, he will, by himself, take the game from us. I don't care if he's always the check down, he must be covered on every play. SOMEONE needs to be put on this little son of a gun.

2. Heap. We all saw how he picked apart the Chiefs secondary going down the middle. Look at that, that's the area that our secondary has the most problems with too. I don't know how they're going to be stopping those down the middle passes that the Ravens have been doing so well with today, but they had better find a way.

3. Their redzone offense is almost as horrible as ours. I hate to sound Madden-like right now, but whoever scores the most points is going to win this game. And by most points I mean most touchdowns..sounds obvious, right? Well, yeah, I guess it is. The Ravens and the Steelers both have problems putting the ball in the endzone once they're within the 20. There's going to be a lot of field goals kicked in this game by both teams, so the Steelers better find a way to get those 6 points more often than the Ravens do.

The Ravens seem to let teams hang around for practically the whole game. Even if they're outplaying us at the half or even at the end of the third, it won't be hard to take the game in a short time period. Just saying. Go Steelers.

nuclearchihuahuas
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
totally agree!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
The Ravens and Steelers will always make the game come down to who can outlast the other. It's just how it is. Their redzone offense is as bad as anybody in the playoffs right now, they don't scare anybody when they get the scoring chance.

We will be ready, they will be ready.

Stopping the run is always paramount, so stopping Rice is just part of the equation. We matchup well against them and them against us. There is no distinct advantage either way, at any position on the field.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Stopping the run is always paramount, so stopping Rice is just part of the equation. We matchup well against them and them against us. There is no distinct advantage either way, at any position on the field.

Rice scares me 10x more as a receiver than he does as a running back.

airbrake 1
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
stopping rice will be paramount ...the dump passes to rice cannot be allowed...gotta get off the field on third down

LatrobePA
01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Ben using check downs and not taking sacks...

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
stopping rice will be paramount ...the dump passes to rice cannot be allowed...gotta get off the field on third down

4. Get off the field on third down :lol:

Seriously, I know the Chiefs don't have the greatest defense in the league, but the Ravens absolutely picked them apart on third down. They would get 2 yards on first down, 3 yards on second down, and then 14 yards on third down. That can't happen.

nuclearchihuahuas
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
TROY and Ben coming through this game unscathed!

Troyisabeast_43
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
The Ravens and Steelers will always make the game come down to who can outlast the other. It's just how it is. Their redzone offense is as bad as anybody in the playoffs right now, they don't scare anybody when they get the scoring chance.

We will be ready, they will be ready.

It's the reason why winning that game in Baltimore on Sunday night 5 weeks ago was so huge. The Steelers will get to play this game at Heinz Field and in front of a hostile crowd which is Steeler Nation and not in Baltimore. The Ravens will want payback for that loss in the worst way so if the Steelers arent at their best next week they will be going home it's that simple...I do think the Steelers offense will play a lot better in this game and score more points then they did the last game in Baltimore. They pretty much have too if they want to win this game...

LatrobePA
01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
If you're a Steelers RB you'll need to beat off defenders, that's for certain!! lol

airbrake 1
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
nothing is more aggravating than watching the D get to 2 and long and 3 and long only to give up first downs...this is especially important the closer you get to mid field because then the opponents start thinking about going for it on fourth down...this is how a defense gets worn down...cant let this happen

cmerrifield
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
It will help that we have played only 1 game since before Christmas and that wasnt really that much of a game for our Defense.

JensK
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Score a couple of touchdowns early and then run it... Ravens can be run on, and even though Steelers just don't run the ball well against Ravens, we have to keep pounding it. Their defense is as old as ours, and it'll get worn out quickly if we can get a couple of TDs and the run it.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
nothing is more aggravating than watching the D get to 2 and long and 3 and long only to give up first downs...this is especially important the closer you get to mid field because then the opponents start thinking about going for it on fourth down...this is how a defense gets worn down...cant let this happen

And I feel like our defense is especially vulnerable on third down. I don't have any stat to back this up, but I feel like I'm yelling, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING" on third down a lot. Hope they prove me wrong on Saturday.

coldrolled
01-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Blitz and press coverage.. man to man.

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2011, 05:11 PM

I couldn't agree more. Because taking Rice away will increase the pressure on Flacco. And Flacco doesn't handle our pressuring him well.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I couldn't agree more. Because taking Rice away will increase the pressure on Flacco. And Flacco doesn't handle our pressuring him well.

Flacco is good as long as his offensive line protects him and he has 30 seconds to find the open receiver and throw the ball, but you're right. As soon as he feels pressure, he panics and either makes stupid throws or takes a sack.

Real Deal Steel
01-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Keys on offense:

Use Miller more.

Use the slot reciever more.

No turnovers.

Keys on defense:

Stay with Rice in the passing game while of couse shutting down the run.
Hit Flacco on passing downs.

coach
01-09-2011, 05:25 PM
It will help that we have played only 1 game since before Christmas and that wasnt really that much of a game for our Defense.

I think this is the key. I think a close game favours Steelers. They played on road this week and next. We rested at home.
Unlike the previous year when we beat them 3x, this year was interesting; the team that led most of the way found a way to lose in the last part of game. If we win this game, it will be as much because we beat them in December and ensured this scenario was a possibility, as it will be beacause we beat them next week.

I already can't wait.

SteelDad
01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Get on top early and force Flacco to press
Win the turnover battle.
Be solid on special teams.
Cannot get beat on 3rd and long.

Game over. Steelers win.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Flacco has been unimpressive the last half of the season really. I have complete confidence that if the game is put on his shoulders to win that he'll toss some picks, fumble, or otherwise be rattled enough to be off target. He knows Troy will be on him like white on rice so his head will be on a swivel. Plus Oherer is so overrated to begin with and now playing hurt from what I heard. Harrison needs to have a field day with that chump!

Scorp
01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Keys to beating the Ravens....These guys know eachother so freakin well it's going to be the craziest, wildest, slugfest thriller in their history. Both teams are going to play hard, smart, and go toe to toe. I'll say this. The team, i don't care who it is, that makes the most crucial mistake(s) in the most important part of the game is going to lose. This will be memorable.

JensK
01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Flacco has been unimpressive the last half of the season really. I have complete confidence that if the game is put on his shoulders to win that he'll toss some picks, fumble, or otherwise be rattled enough to be off target. He knows Troy will be on him like white on rice so his head will be on a swivel. Plus Oherer is so overrated to begin with and now playing hurt from what I heard. Harrison needs to have a field day with that chump!

Flacco did look pretty good today against a more than capable Chiefs secondary (much better than our secondary anyway). Cam Cameron called a picture perfect game for Ravens and exploited the very thing Steelers defense suck at: Short passes over the middle to Heap and Rice. With that being said, Steelers have a better front 7 than Chiefs, and while Chiefs did provide plenty of pressure on Flacco, Steelers do it in a different way. I know people like to bash on Flacco, and his numbers do not exactly help him a whole lot, but Flacco and the Ravens offense played a great game today, which would hurt Steelers a lot if they come out with the same gameplan.

Scorp
01-09-2011, 06:42 PM
These ravens will play alot better then when they faced us in the 08 championship. They know what to expect from us.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 06:45 PM
I expect nothing less from Flacco than to throw a game losing int or give up a game losing fumble. It's who he is. Until he starts consistantly winning close games and doing it all on his shoulders, I don't care what his stats are or how many yards he threw for today. Stats don't mean a thing when you're down 4 points in the superbowl with 2 minutes left and the ball in your hands.

Scorp
01-09-2011, 06:55 PM
I expect nothing less from Flacco than to throw a game losing int or give up a game losing fumble. It's who he is. Until he starts consistantly winning close games and doing it all on his shoulders, I don't care what his stats are or how many yards he threw for today. Stats don't mean a thing when you're down 4 points in the superbowl with 2 minutes left and the ball in your hands.

Like i said. Whoever makes that 1 crucial mistake is going to cost their team dearly.

coach
01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
And I feel like our defense is especially vulnerable on third down. I don't have any stat to back this up, but I feel like I'm yelling, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING" on third down a lot. Hope they prove me wrong on Saturday.

Here is a link to check out 3rd dwn conversions against:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-down-conversions-per-game

We actually have good record. I think what happens is we remember the games against teams like NO and NE who beat our secondary all day long like a rented mule.

I find the dink and dunk down the field teams most frustrating.

steelersbabex25
01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Here is a link to check out 3rd dwn conversions against:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-third-down-conversions-per-game

We actually have good record. I think what happens is we remember the games against teams like NO and NE who beat our secondary all day long like a rented mule.

I find the dink and dunk down the field teams most frustrating.

Probably. I tend to remember the bad more than the good.

CoachC
01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
RRice is a bad matchup for us unless we put Timmons on him. We need to gameplan for him like we did against CJ2K in Week 2. LT shut down CJ2K almost by himself...

LatrobePA
01-09-2011, 09:02 PM
It won't be Flacco to lose this game for them...It'll be their D!!

Steel Trap86
01-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Blitz Blitz Blitz, The key is Flacco, rattle him, hit him, slap him around, talk some **** to him...just keep him frustrated. It is unbelievable how vulnerable he is on the sides, he can't see anybody coming. I believe our offense will put up enough points to win on that D, the Steelers Defense just has to do it's job and I like our odds

airbrake 1
01-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Our defensive stats on third down might be good...I think it is more the drama factor...i just want to pull my hair out when we make a great play on 1st down to get them in a 2nd and 18 only to give up 16-17 yards on second down, and then the defense has to make a spectacular play to get off the field...please no more drama i want to shellac the ratbirds this saturday...i would like to see a replay of the regular season game against them a few years back where we were up 35 points at the half...go steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2011, 09:18 PM
That drives me nuts too man, you get them in some crazy 2nd and long and they end up converting or get back 2/3 of the yardage they lost. 3rd down has been better this year, last year we were a joke on 3rd down. Still though, you absolutely must get off the field when you get the chance in the playoffs. Giving any team cheap first downs can kill you.

In a close game like the Ratbird games always are, points are at a premium so it's imperative to get that redzone offense going like it has been.

steeldoc
01-09-2011, 10:49 PM
On D, stop Rice and blitz enough effectively to make Flacco squirm and poop his pants. Get off to a quick start on O, score early, hold on to the ball, while getting turnovers.

mwittman5
01-09-2011, 10:58 PM
watch little screen passes to Rice

igor0190
01-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Flacco made a lot of mistakes in the Chiefs game that really could have cost the Ratbirds the game. The fans at Heinz really need to get a "FLAAAAACCCOOO" chant going, the guy isn't clutch and I could totally see this getting to him.

Steelers_All_Day_43
01-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Please, just for once, can we blowout the rats?

mwittman5
01-10-2011, 12:45 AM
Please, just for once, can we blowout the rats?

you mean twice? Remember that game when Ben threw 5 TD's in the 1st half. My heart would appreciate one of those games

Real Deal Steel
01-10-2011, 01:07 AM
It doesn't have to be a slugfest if we attack their defense where it's weakest. And that's the fact that their cornerbacks are average at best.

pimplydan
01-10-2011, 01:35 AM
KEYS FOR A STEELER WIN

1... Contain Suggs(remember the monster game he had last time we played,he was all over BEN)

2... hit Flacco(once we hit him hard he gets off the mark)

3...just keep BEN on his feet(Ben can handle the Ravens D,he's had lots of success against them)

4...SMASHMOUTH(yes strap those helmets tight go to that war with them,we are more phisical and more rested)

5...win the penalty battle(the team which causes the more mistakes will probable lose)

Dean Denton
01-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Dont turn the ball over, and run the ball. this should be the Steelers game plan for the next couple of games. The only way I see it. Keep Ray and those other idiots on the field getting tired, and when we play the pats just keep Brady on the Bench. We do this and we get another SB.

UKSTEELER
01-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Don't let Heap have an easy off the LOS, . . . .

and we need to account for Suggs, he was a monster in the last meet!

Give those Rats a shoeing!! :helmet:

SteelerRush
01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
where ever Suggs lines up run mendenhall out to the flat and make him cover mendehall that will keep him off Ben.

B.A., throw passes on first down and don't be predictable.

Score a touchdown early and make the Ratbirds play catch up, then hit Flacco hard.

when we get a 10+ point lead run the ball and stay aggressive on defense.

I am not a believer in Flacco. When he is behind he makes a ton of mistakes and we need to capitalize and create turnovers.

Steelers 24 - 17

Rampage
01-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Two things with the Ravens:

1) Protect the football. Their offense is built around time of possession and grinding it out, and their defense is not easy to score on. If you spot them the ball a few times, you will lose the battle of field position and put yourself in a hole. Don't give them the ball, and you give yourself a great chance to win.

2) Cover Rice/Heap. The Ravens have one bread and butter play, that is, check it down to the RB or TE. If you can cover that a bit and pressure Flacco, you will get them playing out of their element.

mwittman5
01-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I think the steelers should use double TE formations to hep the O-line block on the corners. Sanders is emerging so we can use him in the slot with double TE's

Moondog
01-10-2011, 12:35 PM
The Steelers need to come out blazing. They don't want to slow this game down. Attack, attack, attack, just like they have been the last games of the season. I know the turds are not the Panthers or the Browns, but I think it would be detrimental to play close to the vest. The Steelers offense has actually improved since the last time they played the rats. The Steelers will be rested and at home, perfect for the no huddle. Get up big early, then torpedo Flacco who will wilt under the weight of the Steeler defense and the Pittsburgh playoff caliber crowd. The Ravens are due to lose by double digits to the Steelers. Book it. :tt02: :helmet: :tt02:

mwittman5
01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
I'll add special teams. In a tough defensive battle like this there can be no kick return TD's given up. That could be the difference.

steelchamp204
01-10-2011, 04:52 PM
All we need to do is..

1. Play up on the receivers.
2. Watch Ray Rice
3.Need to get alot of pressure on flacco.
4. watch out for alot of screens

LatrobePA
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
As I said earlier, it's simple: "Beat off the defenders" if we can do this we win!!

LarryNJ
01-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Be creative, do something different, play to win, not to not lose. They know each other very well and are really evenly matched.

Goodfrom55
01-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Great analysis by everyone. I agree with just about everything being "said".

Defensive Keys:
Contain Rice in Passing game (Timmons)
Take away Heap (Troy)
Pressure Flacco up the middle so he can't step up. Really looked at Oher yesterday, looks tired and slow. Harrison should really go after it on Sunday.
I sound like a broken record, but get off the field on 3rd down.
Tackle Rice low - 1st guy can't miss.

Offensive Keys:
Move the chains; take the defense gives you.
Mix up play calling- less predictability
Target Miller at least 10 times - will take double team off of Wallace. No one in Ravens secondary that can keep up with Wallace, but need to give Ben time to throw.
Smart running and cover the ball in traffic. Ravens love to strip the ball - take care of it.
Stay out of 3rd and long - keep to 3rd and 5 or less.
Red zone offense - chip away, don't go for the 6 in one shot.

Specials:

Cover kicks
Convert all FG's
Kick return be smart. Cundiff leads the NFL with touchbacks. Make good decisions about running out of endzone on kickoffs.
Watch for trick plays on specials - Harbaugh's background is special teams.

Coaching:
Don't over think or over coach.
Don't panic
Recognize and make changes at halftime.
Coach to win, not to lose.

Troyisabeast_43
01-10-2011, 06:08 PM
The Steelers need to come out blazing. They don't want to slow this game down. Attack, attack, attack, just like they have been the last games of the season. I know the turds are not the Panthers or the Browns, but I think it would be detrimental to play close to the vest. The Steelers offense has actually improved since the last time they played the rats. The Steelers will be rested and at home, perfect for the no huddle. Get up big early, then torpedo Flacco who will wilt under the weight of the Steeler defense and the Pittsburgh playoff caliber crowd. The Ravens are due to lose by double digits to the Steelers. Book it. :tt02: :helmet: :tt02:

I have been saying this since yesterday that the Steelers need to come out and use the hurry up and no huddle offense and simply just spread this Ravens secondary out and keep doing so. If you can get up by 14 points in this game 14-0 or 17-3 it will make it that much tougher for Flacco and that offense to come back and score on this Steelers defense. I do not think the Ravens offense will have the same success they did hitting deep balls against the Steelers a few times like they did early on in the game in Baltimore the Steelers won. Plus, I do think the Steelers offense will have more success as well this game moving the ball and scoring more points then they did in Baltimore. A few reasons are no crowd noise to deal with,Ben is healthy and wont have a broken nose or foot.

If Im the Steelers and I win the coin toss this game I am deferring it until the 2nd half and making Flacco and their offense come right out of the gate and try to score and handle the crowd noise. Hopefully the Ravens will go 3 and out and it will lead to good field position. But like you mentioned attack attack and keep attacking and dont let the Ravens up off the mat. The Ravens offense has struggled to score points in the 2nd half of games and if you can get up on them early in this game and take Rice out and put this game on the shoulders of Flacco he will **** up at some point and turn the ball over 1 or 2 times. He didnt have a INT this week against the Chiefs so he is definitely due to have a few this week...

Scorp
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
http://http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh-steelers/09000d5d81d97e75/Tomlin-on-playing-Ravens?module=HP_cp2

Scorp
01-11-2011, 01:25 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Once again, two games in a season weren't enough for the Ravens and Steelers, division opponents who can't stand each other yet can't seem to stop playing one another.

For the second time in three seasons and the third time in a decade, they will meet in the playoffs -- their eighth game in the past three seasons alone. And it will be in Pittsburgh, where January football is about as uninviting as it gets for an opposing team. And where the Ravens have never won in the postseason.

Somehow, both teams figured it would come down to this: beat the other, and advance to the AFC Championship Game. Any other scenario almost would have been incomplete for two rivals who finished the season with 12-4 records, and whose two previous games ended in a combined score of 27-27.

The Ravens figured they might not be done in Pittsburgh when they won there 17-14 on Oct. 3, against the Ben Roethlisberger-less Steelers. The Steelers guessed this wasn't over even after Troy Polamalu's forced fumble led to their winning touchdown and a 13-10 victory in Baltimore on Dec. 5.

That game wound up deciding the AFC North because Pittsburgh won the tiebreaker based on division record and forced the Ravens to beat the Chiefs 30-7 on Sunday for the chance to play a rematch of their rematch against the Steelers.

"The Jets and Patriots are great teams, but they're just getting started," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said, referring to the other AFC divisional matchup. "This has been going on for years. We play them two, sometimes three times a year, and every one comes down to the end. I'm sure we'll see them again in the playoffs."

He was right.

If history is any indicator, Saturday's game will be close, low-scoring and violently physical. The Steelers' 23-14 victory over Baltimore in the AFC title game two years ago featured a half-dozen "Oh, wow" hits and is regarded by Pittsburgh players as the gold standard for taking aggressive hitting a step higher than that seen during the regular season.

On Monday, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs described Ravens-Steelers games as being like "Armageddon."

That AFC title game two years ago is the only one of the seven matchups since 2008 not decided by three or four points. The winning margin during each of the four regular-season games since 2009 has been three points, and the average score between them since Mike Tomlin became Steelers coach in 2007 is 18-17, Steelers.

Back-and-forth verbal repartees once were common between the two. The Ravens once referred to Steelers receiver Plaxico Burress as Plexiglas, and they supposedly put a bounty on Ward for his succession of borderline hits. But the chattering has become more respectful and less personal the past two seasons, partly because former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan left to coach the Jets.

Former Ravens coach Brian Billick and ex-Steelers coach Bill Cowher disliked each other and it showed, but current coaches John Harbaugh and Tomlin have developed no such public feud and probably won't.

On Monday, while Ryan was emphasizing that the Jets-Patriots rivalry "is about Bill Belichick vs. Rex Ryan," Tomlin wasn't about to drop his own name while heaping praise on the Ravens. Tomlin said nothing remotely controversial, and his players, who had the day off after practicing Sunday, likely will follow a similar path when they return Tuesday.

"We're familiar with them, they're familiar with us," Tomlin said. "Not much has changed, really, since the last time we played them."

Not much ever seems to change, even if the Ravens probably wish they could play one of these games on their home turf. The Steelers also eliminated the Ravens from the playoffs in 2001.

Still, having to play Baltimore again probably wasn't on the Steelers' wish list; of their three possible divisional round opponents -- the Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore -- the Ravens likely were their last choice. The Ravens are 7-3 on the road in the playoffs, with quarterback Joe Flacco winning four times, and they have won in Pittsburgh twice since 2006 in the regular season.

If the Patriots beat the Jets, the Baltimore-Pittsburgh winner must prepare to play the AFC favorite on the road only a week after staging what is likely to be the most intensely physical game of the season.

Some reward.

"We can't overreact because it's the playoffs, we can't get all tight," Ward said. "We've just got to turn up the intensity because, like I've said, each play gets magnified -- offensively, defensively, special teams. I definitely think we'll be ready to play by the end of the week."

Road teams are 6-4 in the AFC divisional playoffs over the past five seasons, leading to the theory that a team that played the weekend before can have the advantage on one that was resting the previous weekend. The Steelers felt that playing and winning at Cincinnati the previous week gave them a decided advantage when they upset the heavily favored Colts in 2005. And road teams were 3-1 this past weekend.

"I wouldn't read too much into it," Tomlin said. "Those road teams that won were very good teams. I think everyone understands that and I don't think anyone's particularly shocked by those things."

Harbaugh said, "There's definitely an advantage to having time off from a rest perspective. There is probably an advantage to playing from a being sharp perspective. I'm confident we can get our guys rested, recovered and ready to go on Saturday."

As usual, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (right Achilles' tendon) will be limited in practice early in the week. But he expects to play against a team that he has constantly tormented. Not only did Polamalu play a big role in the Steelers' victory last month by forcing Flacco's late fumble, his interception return touchdown settled the AFC Championship Game two seasons ago.

"I do feel better now than I have the last few weeks," Polamalu said. "The thing that you don't want, at this point, is any setbacks. Then, you're pretty much done."

Like one of these teams will be by Saturday night.

http://http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d99638/article/third-meeting-between-steelers-ravens-seemed-inevitable

Scorp
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Among the rewards the Steelers earned for achieving the No. 2 seed in the AFC was a bye into the divisional round of the playoffs and a home game.

But are home games worth much these days?

The first weekend of playoffs in the NFL left three home teams at home permanently as Indianapolis, Philadelphia and Kansas City lost in their own stadiums. And that does not even take into account what the Steelers have done at home this season.

They were 5-3 at Heinz Field, 7-1 on the road. They lost to Baltimore at home and won at Baltimore. The Ravens had the opposite record, 7-1 at home and 5-3 on the road.

"I wouldn't read too much into it. Those road teams that won were very good teams," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Monday. "I think everyone understands that, and I don't think anyone's particularly shocked by those things."

He, of course, is happy to be playing Saturday at home.

"If given the opportunity, I would play at Heinz Field in front of Steeler Nation, no question."

The Steelers have reached their most recent Super Bowls both ways. In 2005, they won three playoff games on the road before beating Seattle in Detroit in Super Bowl XL. In 2008, a bye and two home playoff victories launched them to Tampa, Fla., and Super Bowl XLIII, where they beat Arizona.

Yet after the Steelers became the first in history to win three on the road and then a Super Bowl, the Giants duplicated that feat two seasons later. Now, Baltimore and the New York Jets are trying to do the same thing after the fifth and sixth seeds advanced over the weekend with victories.

The Steelers are 4-4 at home in their past eight postseason games starting with their loss to Denver in the 1997 AFC championship game

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011/1117015-66.stm#ixzz1AkXII8gT

Scorp
01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
• The Steelers are 8-0 in the postseason against division opponents since the 1970 NFL merger, 2-0 vs. Baltimore. The only time in their history they have lost a postseason game against a division opponent came in 1947, when they and the Philadelphia Eagles tied for first place in the Eastern Division of the then-two division NFL. Philadelphia won the playoff, 21-0, to determine which advanced to the championship game.

• Over the previous five seasons, the Steelers won seven of their eight postseason games, losing only to Jacksonville at home in their 2007 playoff opener.

• Formulating a game plan against an opponent as familiar as Baltimore is "different," Tomlin said.

"It just presents a different set of difficult circumstances. Knowledge of one's opponent and your opponent's knowledge of you creates a different set of circumstances than the unknown. All are challenging, just different."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11011/1117015-66.stm#ixzz1AkY1Wobt

BlitzburghRockCity
01-11-2011, 04:57 PM
I have been saying this since yesterday that the Steelers need to come out and use the hurry up and no huddle offense and simply just spread this Ravens secondary out and keep doing so. If you can get up by 14 points in this game 14-0 or 17-3 it will make it that much tougher for Flacco and that offense to come back and score on this Steelers defense. I do not think the Ravens offense will have the same success they did hitting deep balls against the Steelers a few times like they did early on in the game in Baltimore the Steelers won. Plus, I do think the Steelers offense will have more success as well this game moving the ball and scoring more points then they did in Baltimore. A few reasons are no crowd noise to deal with,Ben is healthy and wont have a broken nose or foot.

If Im the Steelers and I win the coin toss this game I am deferring it until the 2nd half and making Flacco and their offense come right out of the gate and try to score and handle the crowd noise. Hopefully the Ravens will go 3 and out and it will lead to good field position. But like you mentioned attack attack and keep attacking and dont let the Ravens up off the mat. The Ravens offense has struggled to score points in the 2nd half of games and if you can get up on them early in this game and take Rice out and put this game on the shoulders of Flacco he will **** up at some point and turn the ball over 1 or 2 times. He didnt have a INT this week against the Chiefs so he is definitely due to have a few this week...

There is no doubt if we win the coin toss we'll defer. The crowd will be stoked for this game, let the defense set the tone and make sure we get the ball to start the 2nd half.

I would love to see the Steelers buck the trend of normal Steelers/Ravens games. Come out firing down field just like we did in the last game of the season. Send the message that we're going to come after then with everything we've got. Will it still be a physical game, sure, but take the offense and open it up hitting them with everything we've got. Getting up on a team like the Ravens in a game like this would be HUGE.

LatrobePA
01-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Throw all the new rules out the window, this one will be messy!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Rules do go out the window in the game we would think, based on past experience with these teams. However with Triplett calling this game you know he's going to be tossing flags left and right for holding and pass interference. Combine that with how officials are calling game overall these days. These games always get chippy especially in the 2nd half, every guy is trying to get in that little extra push anytime they have an opportunity. I just have to wonder how much the officials will hold back the flags during the little fights with these 2 teams.

In that Chiefs game, it was out of control and Mike Carey should have started tossing players well before he went over and gave his "warning" to both coaches. In Steelers/Ravens games, those "pushes and shoves" would have been full blown fights by that time.

Scorp
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted 13 hours ago

aaIf you had to use just one word to describe what Saturday’s Steelers-Ravens AFC Divisional Playoff game at Heinz Field is going to be like, it would be an easy choice.

Physical.

“The team that wins this game is going to be the most violent team, the team that is most physical,” said defensive lineman Chris Hoke. “It’s the team that goes out there to push the other team around. That is who wins. When we play the Ravens, it is whoever can be the most physical team that wins.”

The Steelers-Ravens match-up has become one of the premiere rivalries in the NFL and every time these two teams meet, it’s definitely a battle.

“You do love it. That is what football is all about,” said safety Ryan Clark. “You know it’s a physical battle any time these two teams meet. The teams are built alike, tough attacking defenses. It’s going to be fun. I am sure the people are going to be happy to watch on Saturday.”

These are two teams that don’t like each other, and neither one will hold back on Saturday with a trip to the AFC Championship game on the line.

“There is going to be a lot of hard-hitting going on,” said wide receiver Hines Ward. “They know it, we know it.”

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs even referred to the game as “Armageddon,” and explained a little bit more about what he meant.

“It’s about what is on the line,” said Suggs. “They call it Armageddon as the fight between good and evil. I am a big Star Wars fan and the emperor said, ‘Evil is only a point of view.’ I guess it is from whose point of view it’s coming from.”

When asked who was good and who was evil, Suggs said it’s all about perspective.

“I guess from your point of view I am definitely evil,” said Suggs. “This is a great game. I love this game and I am sure they do too.”

Nose tackle Casey Hampton is at the epicenter of where the battle begins and loves bringing the physical aspect to the game.

“That is our type of game,” said Hampton. “We are a physical team. We try to impose our will on people. We are carbon copies of each other.

“The fans, and TV, that is what everybody wants to see. They know what kind of games we have, the physical nature of it. I think that is what people want to see.”

The Steelers and Ravens are meeting for the third time and it comes as no surprise to some of the Steelers players that this match-up is taking place.

“We knew they were a good team, we knew they were going to be in the playoffs,” said tight end Heath Miller. “I didn’t think about us playing them again, but it doesn’t surprise me.”

Mike Wallace expected both teams in the post-season, something that has been commonplace even before the second-year receiver entered the NFL.

“There are always going to be those guys, the Steelers and the Ravens,” said Wallace. “Some type of way they are going to meet up. Before I got here I always saw them in the playoffs. We knew it, they know it. It’s time, put up or shut up.”

Defensive end Aaron Smith continues to work on making a post-season comeback, but is still waiting to hear what the doctors after to say.

“We’ll see what the doctors say and go from there,” said Smith, who was waiting on results of a scan on his triceps. “It’s hard to say. Until I get all of the information in and evaluate it, I won’t know.

“It’s been a long journey up to this point. When the opportunity comes I would just like to get out there and contribute. It would be nice to be able to play.”

Suggs was asked during a conference call with the Pittsburgh media why he thinks the two franchises have so much success and he had words of praise for Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

“You look at this defense and the defensive coordinator,” said Suggs. “I never even met the guy, but I spoke to him. I must say that I am amazed. I am impressed. That Dick LeBeau is something.”

Hines Ward stated it best when talking about what is at stake on Saturday at Heinz Field.

“We know what’s at stake,” said Ward. “Whoever wins this game, that other team has to think about the loss all offseason.”

steelchamp204
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing harrison trying to break flacco's nose or another ryan clark on McGahee hit. Seriously, I hope he hurt someone. Im so sick of hearing ravens fans brag about how bens nose got broken, one of these days the steelers are gonna hurt one of the raven stars bad, and I cant wait to rub that **** right back in there face. I think Our offensive line will stop there pass rush but I dont think they will be abe to stop ours. It would be nice to see the overload blitz on Ohers side with timmons and harrison, or timmons and woodley. Instead of trying to blitz up the middle all the time. But I think we will be the more physical team.

Scorp
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81d9d9a7/article/steelers

LarryNJ
01-13-2011, 05:05 AM
. I think Our offensive line will stop there pass rush

I have no idea why you feel this way, but I hope that you're correct. :)

steelersgal86
01-13-2011, 08:46 AM
I have no idea why you feel this way, but I hope that you're correct. :)

:ditto: I hope they step up!!!!

Scorp
01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

Posted 18 hours ago

aaWhen it comes to the Steelers and the Ravens, there are no secrets. These are two teams that know each other well, know tendencies, strengths and weakness. Basically, there isn’t much they don’t know.

“The advantage is you know the players,” said safety Ryan Clark. “You might not know what they are going to do, but I know if this guy is fast, this guy is strong or quick.”

That is why one of the things being preached to the Steelers players this week is execution. They can watch all the film they want this week of the Ravens, they have pretty much seen it all. But if they don’t execute, being familiar with them is meaningless.

“It just comes down to who makes the plays,” said cornerback William Gay. “The coaches can’t tell you anything you don’t know about the opponent. It’s a matter of who executes the game play the coaches give us.

“We know them, they know us. It doesn’t matter who we play we just have to execute the game plan.”

The Steelers defeated the Ravens 13-10 on December 5 in Baltimore, while the Ravens were 17-14 winners at Heinz Field on October 3.

“We get the chance to play them for the third time this season, we know their personnel, they know our personnel,” said wide receiver Hines Ward. “It just comes down to executing whatever team makes the most plays. They know what type of team we are, we know what type of team they are. It’s going to come down to whatever team executes the best. That is how it has been over the years.”

One player who the Steelers expect to make plays for the Ravens this time around is tight end Todd Heap. Heap was injured in the opening minutes of the match-up in Baltimore, leaving the game after making just one catch.

“He is a big difference maker,” said Clark. “Look at our difference without Heath (Miller). That is the equivalent. Two of the premiere tight ends in the league. It’s going to change the game. He did a great job against Kansas City. Kansas City had a hard time containing him. That’s something we have to pay attention to.”

Heap had 10 receptions for 108 yards in the AFC Wild Card game against the Chiefs, and the Steelers know they will have to shut him down on Saturday.

“He is a big factor for their offense,” said Gay. “They look for him. He is a known veteran. He is someone we have to deal with and stop.”

Kicker Shaun Suisham was signed by the Steelers prior to the Oakland game and has been a consistent force for the black and gold since then, hitting 14 of 15 field goal attempts.

“He’s banged just about every kick we sent him out there to hit,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “But not only that, he has a can-do attitude. He is a pleasant teammate. He has endeared himself to his teammates because of it. He doesn’t bat an eye when you ask him to do some special things, whether it’s kickoffs and spreading the ball around or lobs; he has just been a pro. He has been a good addition to us. He has done everything we have asked him to do and has done a pretty good job of it.”

There isn’t a lot of margin for error this week with playing in the AFC Championship game on the line, and that isn’t lost on the players.

“It’s important we have a small amount of bad plays,” said defensive end Nick Eason. “If we lose this game it’s time to go home. It’s do or die now. There is no revenge or come back. It’s a do or die time now.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was asked about the way the Steelers offense has evolved, yet the games against the Ravens have been low-scoring affairs this year.

“You can talk about the offense all you want, but it’s about the two defenses,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “It’s two great defenses that do a lot of exotic type blitzes, exotic looks. They are physical. Both groups are very veteran groups. It’s about what offense is going to make a mistake or not make it. That’s why I think it’s always close.”

Linebacker James Farrior understands the defensive battle that is going to take place, and knows it’s about being the better defense to get the win.

“That is the key to the game, is trying to outperform their defense,” said Farrior. “We know they have a great defense, a lot of all-star guys over there. We just try to do our job to out play those guys.”

Safety Troy Polamalu (ankle) did not practice on Wednesday, but is expected to go full tilt on Thursday.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden (abdomen) was limited in practice but he too is expected to fully practice on Thursday.

“He is really going according to plan,” said Tomlin. “If anything I am erring on the side of caution. He is a veteran player. This is the third time we have played the opponent. We are not going to take any steps backwards between then and Saturday afternoon. I think that’s the prudent approach. He has been agreeable with that, but he is chomping at the bit to go because he is a detailed preparation guy. I am comfortable with where he is.”

Defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) was limited in practice as well.

Scorp
01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Oher-Harrison showdown one of key divisional matchups

By Gil Brandt NFL.com
Senior Analyst
Published: Jan. 12, 2011 at 02:39 p.m.

This week will feature two matchups from each divisional game.

Ravens vs. Steelers: Michael Oher vs. James Harrison
Oher started all 16 games at right tackle last year and was selected to the All-Rookie team. Oher has struggled at times this year, allowing seven sacks, but he has been at his best against Harrison. He has held Harrison without a sack against the Ravens this year. The Steelers' standout had six sacks in the three years previous against Baltimore.

Oher has very long arms and is able to re-direct pass rushers, which he will have to do well against Harrison, who is a natural leverage player that excels at getting under blocks. Oher has outstanding strength and tremdnous quickness, but that quickness can hurt him at times. He has been flagged for eight false start penalties, because he gets off the line so rapidly that it often falsely appears as though he has jumped prior to the snap.

Harrison is a good blitzer, who knows how to hit the gaps, so Oher will have to make sure he doesn't lose sight of him. Harrison plays well in space and is good in coverage. If Harrison brings down Flacco on the pass rush and disrupts his timing in coverage, the Steelers' chances to win will increase.

Lardarius Webb vs. Mike Wallace
Webb has come on and played better of late. Webb is not real tall, but has great speed. He will need it against Wallace, who can fly. Webb closes well and plays very physical for his size. He is very athletic, but his leaping ability will be put to the test by Wallace and his great vertical. Webb has a tendency to jump routes, a potential danger zone against Wallace. Wallace loves to lull defenders to sleep and go deep on the 9-route. Wallace caught 60 of 99 passes thrown his way this season, but did have six drops. He has to uncover from Webb and make several big plays for the Steelers to have success.

Scorp
01-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

That the Steelers' postseason will begin and possibly end with still another lowbrow argument with the Baltimore Ravens isn't terribly surprising, nor should it in any way be disappointing.

But in one not terribly significant way, I think it is.

It's like finding out after months of planning and too many hours of anticipatory speculation that, oh yeah, you're going to the prom but the first thing on the program is an alley fight out back.

What, again?

There goes that deposit on the tux.

We've pretty much established that the Steelers-Ravens matchup presents its own hyper-violent genre of competition, football on the far edges of sanity. Modern writers have taken their shots at describing it, but none probably came as close as Mark Twain describing a thunder storm just 127 years ago, or as they like to say, before the merger.

"WHACK -- Bum! Bum! Bumble-umble-um-bum-bum-bum-bum -- and the thunder would go rumbling and grumbling away, and quit -- and then RIP comes another flash and another sockdolager!"

The first sockdolager of the most recent episode, Dec. 5 at Baltimore, arrived on the flying left paw of Ravens defensive tackle Haloti (Say Haloti to my little friend) Ngata, with which he rearranged Big Bloody Ben's nose so that the end pointed toward Annapolis. The last came via the hurtling 250-pound missile of a linebacker named Jameel McClain, whose collision with tight end Heath Miller left Miller in a mental place well over the state line.

It's all part of why Steelers safety Ryan Clark, among the hardest hitters on either roster, said he much appreciated getting last weekend off.

"I like the hitting part, but not the soreness [afterward]," Clark said before Tuesday's practice. "I got to wake up with no pain."

That won't be the situation Sunday morning. Win or lose, this is gonna hurt.

"It's like the old West," said Steelers corner Bryant McFadden. "It's like two gunfighters. You're looking at two teams with the same mindset, the same kind of approach."

All football considerations aside, you know that Heinz Field at dusk Saturday will be a big bowl of nasty, and you get the feeling sometimes that it has to be that way just to "honor" Steelers-Ravens traditions.

"They're a really salty group," was one of Mike Tomlin's primary descriptions for this week's opponent.

Tomlin has got more than enough chops with the language for anyone to second-guess that adjective, so I would presume he's indicating flavorful or zesty rather than that the Ravens are comprised of a chemical compound formed by replacing all or part of the hydrogen ions of an acid with metal ions or electropositive radicals.

Yes, I think that's safe, especially since Ravens safety Ed Reed is clearly zesty with those eight interceptions.

But even as the Steelers quite evidently match the Ravens salt for salt, rock for rock, salt is still no synonym for psychosis, which too often seems closer to the predominant mental state of the people between the sidelines.

There's little use in rifling through the atrocities associated with this series. From Joey Porter's cheap shot on a hurting Todd Heap all the way back in '04 to McClain's $40,000 helmet-to-helmet thunderbolt on Miller, the two teams have always appeared as intent on proving that this ain't no boat race as they are with winning.

Asked for a specific memory of the series he walked into as Tommy Maddox was getting pounded out of Steelers history one day near the Inner Harbor, the first one that came to Ben Roethlisberger's mind wasn't pleasant. "I remember Bart Scott putting me on my back," he said.

This time there's little likelihood of any variation on the theme. Five of the past six regular-season games between these teams were decided by three points, the other by four. The AFC championship two years ago looks like a romp on history's surface, but the Steelers' 23-14 victory was a two-point affair until Troy Polamalu won it with a 40-yard interception return with 4:34 left.

Miller said Tuesday this is all a result of how remarkably similar the teams are, and doesn't regard the Ravens as any more or less violent than his typical assignment. But Saturday brings his first venture into an unkindness of ravens since he was separated from coherence for the better part of three weeks in December.

"In my mind that's behind me; I've crossed that hurdle," Miller said. "It's free from my mind right now."

Miller said he couldn't avoid the video of McClain drilling him, of his body going limp near the sideline. It was sickening. At that moment, missing a couple of games seemed like a miracle.

"It gives you time to reflect on some things," Miller said, "but it's natural for a football player to compete. Once you're ready, that's what you do."

So that's what we'll have Saturday, a competition.

That's a nicely as I can put it.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11012/1117235-150.stm#ixzz1Ax4wr3cr

Scorp
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
We don’t know what the final score will be in Saturday’s AFC divisional playoff game at Pittsburgh. But we can already make a pretty good guess at the ultimate outcome of the Ravens and the Steelers going at it: You know, it’ll be the usual litany of postconcussion symptoms.

Nausea. Irritability. Anxiety. Depression. Blurred vision. And, most of all, a horrific, searing headache.

And that’s just NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

In what NFL historians will someday call The Year of the Helmet-to-Helmet Hit, after a season of emphasizing concussion safety and talk of cutting down the violence, this matchup is the NFL’s worst nightmare.

After Goodell did all he could this season to steer the discussion toward making the game safer, here comes Steelers-Ravens III. (We even call it Steelers-Ravens III, like Roberto Duran is involved or something.)

I’ve been asked if, with all the emphasis on helmet-to-helmet and other violence, these two teams might tone it down for this game. Or alter from their usual strategies or even just play a little differently? Ummmmmmmmmmmm . . . no.

No. These are two teams that clearly did not get the memo.

If anything, they’re shoving the game’s brutality in our faces. They’re not letting us off the hook with too-good-to-be-true talk about how pro football can be civilized. If anything, they’re going overboard with their rhetoric — as if to say, “This is what the game is about. Deal with it.”

Not only are they acknowledging the sport’s violence, not only are they reveling in it, not only are they celebrating it, but they also are guaranteeing it!

Suddenly, Steelers-Ravens III has become “Rocky III.” It seems as if half of each team’s 53-man roster has channeled his own inner Clubber Lang. (“Prediction? Paiiiiiiiin.”)

"I think it's going to be World War III," Ravens safety Dawan Landry said in the wake of his team’s win over Kansas City in the wild-card round.

“It’s like two gunfighters,” Steelers corner Bryant McFadden told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"It's going to be a bloodbath," Ravens guard Ben Grubbs said, "a train wreck."

A train wreck. Yes, one way or another, it will be that.

You can imagine Goodell cringing with every sound bite. His headache has already started. No, these guys are not going along with his theme for this season, no matter how many fines his office has levied.

Yes, Steelers linebacker James Harrison allegedly pondered retirement at the thought that his manner of knocking the (bleep) out of people was frowned upon at the league offices. He’s been docked $100,000 this season. But he seems to have gotten over it.

They all seemed to have gotten over it. Memo? What memo?

And now this?

It's a "Gentlemen, get out your checkbooks" situation. Heck, the NFL could conceivably reach its budget for charitable giving thanks to fines from this game.

Of course, it also shows once and for all the hypocrisy of the whole thing. Because after an entire season of telling us this is not what the NFL wants to see, now, OF COURSE this is what we all want to see.

Ratings will be through the roof. Book it. I myself plan to go down to the nearest sporting-goods store to buy a good form-fitting mouthguard so I can watch this thing in HD.

The only thing soft about this game is Troy Polamalu’s hair. (It’s luxurious! Have you seen those shampoo commercials?)

Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs greeted the media Wednesday wearing a T-shirt that gave Pittsburgh the finger!

(Suggs would go on to say he wasn’t sending the Steelers any particular message. It was just the shirt he put on that morning. If it's true, it's even better. He just happened to have a shirt in his closet that gives Pittsburgh the finger!)

Hines Ward — my favorite player — hates the Ravens. An entire area code hates Ward. These two teams are going to run into each other like freight trains Saturday. And they’re not going to let us pretend that pro football is anything but brutally violent. And that we love it so.

So much for the NFL’s new leaf.

Suggs is talking about Armageddon. His coach, John Harbaugh, noted this week that the A-word is a Biblical reference to the end of the world.

"I'm hopeful that it doesn't take place on Saturday,” Harbaugh said.

No one hopes that more than Goodell. With the number and the violence of the hits to come, it’s likely that handfuls of players could have headaches after this one. But you couldn’t blame the commish if he’s the one with the aspirin bottle on his desk.

http://http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Baltimore-Ravens-keep-hits-coming-011211

Scorp
01-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Coach Mike Tomlin takes a look at this week’s opponent – the Baltimore Ravens.

Q. You’ve said many times that all you have to say to your players is, “It’s Ravens week.” Was that the case for this playoff game?

A. It’s been a big help to us this week, because we have some young players who have contributed greatly to our success this year but don’t really have an understanding about what playoff participation is about. But you can tell them that we’re playing Baltimore, and they understand what that’s about. They have prepared appropriately because of that.

Q. Is Aaron Smith going to be able to play?

A. He’s just going to be on the outside looking in. He’s improved greatly. His presence has been awesome for us on the practice field. Hopefully we get the job done against the Ravens, and we can have that conversation again next week.

Q. On the other end of the defensive line, Brett Keisel battled some injuries to have a very productive season. Is he as tough as he looks?

A. And then some. Not only is he tough, but he’s arguably the best athlete in the locker room. If you polled our football team and asked, pound for pound, who is the best athlete on our team, I imagine Brett Keisel would go deep into the discussion. It’s freakish the way he’s able to move and re-direct his body, the body control that he has for an enormous man.

Q. The 2010 Steelers allowed opponents to rush for an average of 62.8 yards a game, 27 yards per game better than 2009. Is that attitude?

A. There is some attitude, but there’s also some substance to it. The reality is that we didn’t give up big runs. We were no more dominant from a consistency standpoint than we have been in recent years. We just minimized the big runs. The longest run against us all year was 24 yards by Michael Bush from Oakland, and there were only two others of 15-plus yards the whole season. Sometimes you break down in your front and you give up 8, or 10 or 12-yard runs. Our secondary, particularly our safeties, have done a nice job of making sure that those 8-to-12-yard runs don’t become 20-to-40-yard runs, and that’s the recipe for a good run defense.

Q. The last player to rush for over 100 yards vs. the Steelers in the past 50-plus games is Ray Rice. What makes him so good?

A. He’s got ridiculous lateral quickness. He can stick his foot in the ground and change direction at full speed. Not only is he a talented runner, but he has 60-plus catches over the course of the season. We have to do a good job defending him in the check-down game, the screen game, and he also does a real nice job running the wheel-route out of the backfield.

Q. Do you expect Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco to rely on the quick-passing game?

A. I expect him to use that to have a non-rhythmic delivery so that our rush potentially gets frustrated. There are several ways to neutralize a rush – you block them, or you get the ball out of your hand quickly, and I expect the Ravens to employ both.

Q. Terrell Suggs has had a lot of things to say this week, and he also was photographed wearing a T-shirt with some interesting sentiments about Pittsburgh. But he’s also somebody who backs it up on the field, is he not?

A. I’m less concerned about his T-shirts and more concerned about his rush-the-passer capability. Some of this is entertainment, and Terrell is an entertainer. But more than that there is substance to his game. He’s a talented player, who has had an enormous year, and we’re going to have to contend with him.

Q. Will you have to double-team him more than you want to?

A. That sounds like a novel idea, but they move him around quite a bit, which makes it tough to anticipate where he’s going to be, which makes the double-team increasingly difficult. That’s one of the reasons they do what they do, both with Suggs and Haloti Ngata. They do a nice job of moving those guys around, and schematically you can be prepared to double-team them, but you’re not always going to get what you want.

Q. Are you of the opinion that the Ravens’ secondary is underrated?

A. I am. I think they’ve improved over the course of the season, similarly to our offensive line. Sometimes when you get a rap it’s tough to shake. They’ve gotten that rap, but I think they’ve played better than that.

Q. What are the keys for the Steelers in the game against the Ravens?

A. I think it’s important that we come out of the locker room. They played last week, and we didn’t. That’s advantage – Ravens. We need to come out of the locker room. We need to do a good job of taking care of the football and protecting our quarterback, and we need to go get their football and get after their quarterback.

www.steelers.com

coldrolled
01-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Heres a new twist....

The Ravens listed three players as questionable, including center Matt Birk, who is dealing with a knee injury and did not participate in Friday's practice.

Blitz the middle and Hampton and Hoke should have a good day with Birk out or immobile.

coldrolled
01-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Twenty-eight hours before their divisional round matchup with the Steelers, the Ravens made a roster move, waiving fullback Jason McKie and promoting guard/center Bryan Mattison from their practice squad to the active roster.

It's possible that the move indicates that starting center Matt Birk's knee injury is a serious concern to the coaches and front office. Birk is listed as questionable for tomorrow's game, and he missed two days of practice this week before returning in a limited capacity for today's walkthrough.

Birk had played the last three weeks despite being listed on the injury report with the knee ailment.

Mattison can play any of the interior positions on the line and has special teams experience. He was active for two games earlier this season.

If Birk cannot suit up, Chris Chester will slide over from right guard to play center. The Ravens could then insert Tony Moll at guard or move right tackle Marshal Yanda to guard and put Oniel Cousins in at right tackle.

None of that would be good news as the Ravens prepare to face the team that led the NFL in sacks this season.

steelersbabex25
01-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Oh hey everyone, I forgot one last key...

Kick some ***.

coach
01-15-2011, 04:45 PM
and break some beak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuclearchihuahuas
01-15-2011, 09:19 PM
post game interview...Flacco can't give Ben any credit...what a sore loser

--- Added 1/15/2011 at 07:19 PM ---

Rats had 126 yds of total offense! losers!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-15-2011, 09:33 PM
We said it all week, turnovers would be key. Opening up the offense would be key. The Steelers were able to win both of those battles in the 2nd half and that sealed the deal.