PDA

View Full Version : Bettis, Dawson make HOF finalists

Steel Trap86
01-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf and Deion Sanders -- the five players in their first year of eligibility for the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- will be among 15 modern-era finalists considered for election when the 44-member selection committee meets Feb. 5 in North Texas.

Joining the five first-year-eligible players are nine other modern-era players and one contributor.

Two senior nominees, announced last August, also will be considered.

A finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent to be elected.

Here are the 17 finalists (*-denotes senior nominee):

Jerome Bettis, RB (1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers)

Tim Brown, WR/KR (1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

Cris Carter, WR (1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins)

Dermontti Dawson, C (1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers)

Richard Dent, DE (1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles)

Chris Doleman, DE/LB (1985-1993, 1999 Minnesota Vikings, 1994-95 Atlanta Falcons, 1996-98 San Francisco 49ers)

Marshall Faulk, RB (1994-98 Indianapolis Colts, 1999-2005 St. Louis Rams)

Charles Haley, DE/LB (1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys)

*Chris Hanburger, LB (1965-78 Washington Redskins)

Cortez Kennedy, DT (1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks)

Curtis Martin, RB (1995-97 New England Patriots, 1998-2005 New York Jets)

Andre Reed, WR (1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins)

*Les Richter, LB (1954-62 Los Angeles Rams)

Willie Roaf, OT (1993-2001 New Orleans Saints, 2002-05 Kansas City Chiefs)

Ed Sabol, Contributor (1964-1995 NFL Films)

Deion Sanders, CB/KR/PR (1989-1993 Atlanta Falcons, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-99 Dallas Cowboys, 2000 Washington Redskins, 2004-05 Baltimore Ravens)

Shannon Sharpe, TE (1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens)

To be eligible for election, modern-era players and coaches must be retired at least five years. Contributors need not be retired.

Brown, Carter, Dawson, Dent, Haley, Kennedy, Reed and Sharpe all have been finalists in previous years. This is the first time that Doleman, Hanburger, Richter, and Sabol have been finalists, although they were eligible in previous years.

Hanburger and Richter were selected as candidates by the Hall of Fame's seniors committee, which reviews the qualifications of players whose careers took place more than 25 years ago.

The remaining 15 modern-era finalists were determined by a vote of the Hall of Fame's selection committee from a list of 114 preliminary nominees that earlier was reduced to a list of 26 semifinalists.

The selection committee will meet in North Texas the day before Super Bowl XL to elect the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2011. The election results will be announced at 7 p.m. ET on Feb. 5 during a one-hour NFL Network special, live from the Super Bowl media headquarters.

Although there isn't a set number of enshrinees for any class, the Pro Football Hall of Fame's current ground rules stipulate that between four and seven new members will be selected each year. No more than five modern-era nominees can be elected in a given year, and a class of six or seven can only be achieved if one or both senior nominees are elected.

www.nfl.com

Wow anybody think Bettis gets in his first year? Sanders could easily make it... Faulk not so sure.

Tim Brown is a lock!

jpele
01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
The system is broken and needs to be fixed. The excuse that there are too many Steelers in the Hall to keep adding more is childish.

Dermontti Dawson is one of the best if not thee best centers to play the game and where is L.C. Greenwood ? I could go on and on but I won't.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2011, 01:25 PM
With Faulk, Martin, and Bettis all eligible this year it's going to be tough for all 3 to make it. We'll be lucky if 2 of them make it in. Faulk is probably going to get it, with leaves Bettis vs. Martin. Because they 4&5 respectively in all time NFL rushing yardage it will be close. I'd like to think Bettis will get the nod over Martin but the way the voting is, God only knows... :evilshake:

MattyVfromCT
01-09-2011, 01:27 PM
The system is broken and needs to be fixed. The excuse that there are too many Steelers in the Hall to keep adding more is childish.

Dermontti Dawson is one of the best if not thee best centers to play the game and where is L.C. Greenwood ? I could go on and on but I won't.

i agree on both. if the player is a hall of fame worthy player they deserve to be in who cares how many other players from the franchise are in? if they belong they belong, end of discussion. l.c. greenwood belongs in the hall and i think he will get in eventually on a veterans committee vote. you can also make a case for dwight white and donnie shell. shell has the most interceptions all time for a strong safety. i think dawson will get in, he sure as hell belongs in there. bettis is a shoe in

--- Added 1/9/2011 at 11:27 AM ---

With Faulk, Martin, and Bettis all eligible this year it's going to be tough for all 3 to make it. We'll be lucky if 2 of them make it in. Faulk is probably going to get it, with leaves Bettis vs. Martin. Because they 4&5 respectively in all time NFL rushing yardage it will be close. I'd like to think Bettis will get the nod over Martin but the way the voting is, God only knows... :evilshake:

i think bettis will get in over martin because we all know how the writers vote. if a guy isnt friendly with the media they usually wait whether they belong in the hall or not. martin was not a media friendly guy whereas bettis was absolutely loved by the media.

Prosdo
01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Dermontti deserves to go in! Excited to see Bettis and Pittsburgh's own Curtis Martin as finalists as well.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
I think Bettis has a good chance to get in too, Martin was a beast running back in his day there is no doubt. But what Bettis meant to the Steelers and how he went out on top, that's a big plus for him getting in.

airbrake 1
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I think this is the year dawson makes it in...there's only one other offensive line man on the ballot willie roaf and i think this may be his first year of eligibility...the writes usually dont like putting guys in on their first year unless they we absolute game changers... this is why i think bettis and martin will have to wait at least a few years... i think daswon, brown,carter,faulk and sanders make it this year...perhaps haley...a lot of people have been making hay about brown and carter which is why i see them both this year

steeldoc
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Bettis in for sure, Dawson may have to wait some more, but will eventually get in. Bet Martin gets in as well.